If you like of the theme about Area 51 and UFO's or, just wanna play something different, you can try it.
Cunhao wrote this review on .
The game brings many interesting ideas, but they're bad executed. The graphics are good, but compared with other games of the same period or even more older, like Half-Life 2 or Far Cry, Area 51 don't stand a chance to attract you with its graphic. The sounds and music are very good, but the voices... I think that the actors are a little 'uninspired'.
The levels sometimes can present a great design and in others they can be confuse and repetitive. This happens in a progression. In the beginning, the levels are very simple, lacking details and creativity. But, in the last levels, the inspiration just 'blow' and all that stories about Area 51 start to come alive. Also, you can find around the levels, some spots that can be scanned to reveal secrets and some stories and concepts about Area 51.
Unfortunately, the game is very repetitive in all it's aspects, like the very limited numbers of enemies. Luckily, the game is short, so you can finish it quickly and not stay so bored playing it. The number of 'cliche' in terms of gameplay is impressive and the game only present two "innovative" ideas:
1) later in game, we're infected. After that, you "gain" two forms, the human and the mutant form. But there's not many reasons to use the mutant form. Was a great idea, but the game don't give you any reason to use it.
2) in human form, some weapons have the "two handed" mode. This means that you just doubles your firepower with no penalties, giving to the combats a new level of action.
Other negative points:
- A.I is extremely weak
- The main history is a little confuse
- Some bugs in the game physics make jump almost impossible in some situations
- Few weapons
- Worst sniper ever made
- Is almost impossible to play on line because of the lack of players. Also, the game don't make much to have it.
- The lack of more options for graphic optimization can make weaker machines to get low FPS
Some others positive points:
- Good alien's weapons design
- Light effects
- JB grenade
But if you really wanna know, I don't recommend this game to anyone. There's a lot of better games to play. But, if you like of the theme about Area 51 and UFO's or, just wanna play something different, you can try it.