Things about this game that annoy me

#1 Posted by blastmaster2k2 (382 posts) -

The speed camera flashes.

The traffic.

The AI, they try to ram you more than they care about winning.

The game constantly sets you up for crashes.

I had a race where the route was through a couple of repair station, WTF, my car changed colors every time through it, messed my concentration up.

The inconsistent handling of the cars, modded parts or not.

Cops in races.

The races aren't closed track but yet you have to drive a certain path or you'll miss a checkpoint causing you to lose the race, the AI will knock you off the route sometimes too.

Having to constantly look at the map while racing.

I'm not sure about this one, having to drive miles to each new race. Is there a quick travel option for the first time you do a race?

The soundtrack sucks, yea, I know it's a subjective thing but still.

#2 Posted by jchc_underoath (158 posts) -

I pretty much agree on every point you made. Might I also add rubberband AI? I really wanted to love this game because I loved the last Most Wanted. In fact, I haven't enjoyed any other NFS since that release including this one. I guess my taste in racers has changed since I've grown a bit older. Forza 4 is pretty much it for me.

#3 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9323 posts) -

I pretty much agree on every point you made. Might I also add rubberband AI? I really wanted to love this game because I loved the last Most Wanted. In fact, I haven't enjoyed any other NFS since that release including this one. I guess my taste in racers has changed since I've grown a bit older. Forza 4 is pretty much it for me.

jchc_underoath
The rubber band is absolutely pissing me off so bad. Any chance they can patch and adjust it?
#4 Posted by chicken9stikk (13 posts) -
THE ABSOLUTE PROBLEM for me in this game is that im constantly f**cked with while the other racers go free. other problems like rhino suv's, driving to each destination the first time, garbage handling, excessive sliding, professional driving street racers, short cuts ineffective unless the AI uses them, cops popping out of nowhere, no heli cops, extreme sun glare, always in some suburban town....never in the big city, the city has no life: no garbage men working, no resident homes, no ambulances or firetrucks, city buses, BIGGER VEHICLES aren't that big when next to them, no interaction with main drivers other than racing, single player mode too short, not enough customization, non racing cars too plain and everything everyone else has stated.
#5 Posted by genealb (9 posts) -

Three things annoy me.

1.  When in the easy drive menu,  it will just close even when you are cycling through stuff.  Why?  If you were inactive that would make sense.  

2. When you earn an upgrade I don't need it to come up in huge letters DIRECTLY in front of me so that I can't see where I am going.  Who the hell tested this and thought it would be cool to lose a race because you can't see what is in front of you for 5 seconds.

3.  Running a race a few times and finally having a perfect run when an unavoidable car comes out from an overpass and you have no where to go.  Random cars are cool,  just sucks when they are unavoidable. 

I am having fun with it,  just some really questionable design choices. 

#6 Posted by jchc_underoath (158 posts) -

Three things annoy me.

1.  When in the easy drive menu,  it will just close even when you are cycling through stuff.  Why?  If you were inactive that would make sense.  

2. When you earn an upgrade I don't need it to come up in huge letters DIRECTLY in front of me so that I can't see where I am going.  Who the hell tested this and thought it would be cool to lose a race because you can't see what is in front of you for 5 seconds.

3.  Running a race a few times and finally having a perfect run when an unavoidable car comes out from an overpass and you have no where to go.  Random cars are cool,  just sucks when they are unavoidable. 

I am having fun with it,  just some really questionable design choices. 

genealb

All the problems I have with this game, including the ones you mentioned, equal up to one thing... too many reloads. As I stated in another thread, I don't mind not winning every race. However, to unlock upgrades for your car, which are necessary to be competitive in later races, you have to finish first. It would be different if there was some kind of currency to buy cars/upgrades. Then, you could settle for second (or God forbid third) and still earn money to buy needed upgrades. Just my opinion, but isn't street racing about money/pink slips?

#7 Posted by jchc_underoath (158 posts) -

[QUOTE="jchc_underoath"]

JasonDarksavior

The rubber band is absolutely pissing me off so bad. Any chance they can patch and adjust it?

Not a chance. I probably shouldn't have brought this up, as it was a part of the first Most Wanted. Rubberband AI is used to keep the races close until the end. The problem is, the Ai combined with all the other questionable design choices (no in game currency for cars/parts, instead unlocking them by finishing position) add up to one huge reload fest.

The thing is, I'm a decent racer. I'm succesful with Forza, but I'm finding myself reloading almost as much as I had to while finishing my no kills/alerts playthrough with Metal Gear Solid 4. The difference is, MGS4 is a masterpiece of video game developement; this game simply is not.

I love me some racing games, and this is just my two cents.

#8 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

The speed camera flashes.blastmaster2k2

Unrealistic yes, but it serves to warn you that you've been spotted speeding. When I see those I think to look for the blue cop car icons more

The traffic.

Agree, and they can seem to come out of nowhere when you add their randomness to the constant visual battle of seeing through the overuse of tire smoke coming from rival racers. It's so bad it almost looks like tire spray from wet roads at times.

The AI, they try to ram you more than they care about winning.

Agree completely, these Burnout style aggressions are more appropriate for such crasher games as that.

The game constantly sets you up for crashes.

Agree completely again. If it's not the AI or their plumes of tire smoke, it's horrible race routing and obstacles like solid, unprotected dividers that are hard to see until you're very close to them.

I had a race where the route was through a couple of repair station, WTF, my car changed colors every time through it, messed my concentration up.

I've never been distracted by the change of colors, but ironically the repair drive throughs are oftren harder to hit than those in Burnout, a game skewed more toward crashing than MW, or at least more than MW USED to be.

The inconsistent handling of the cars, modded parts or not.

It's a similar handling model to Burnout's, but worse, and again, the crappy race routes make it feel even worse. The steering response is also more sluggish than Burnout since HP 2010, and even worse yet in this game.

Cops in races.

This has been a component of most NFS games that have cops. It's just that it's more annoying now that we have Criterion's increasingly worse handling model.

The races aren't closed track but yet you have to drive a certain path or you'll miss a checkpoint causing you to lose the race, the AI will knock you off the route sometimes too.

The checkpoints I don't have a problem with. Otherwise you could take ridiculous shortcuts like in Burnout and make it a lot easier. The overly aggressive AI though seems couter productive to their trying to get across the line first. The cops also keep saying they're targeting the lead racer, yet they usually focus on you even if you're several places back.

Having to constantly look at the map while racing.

I don't mind having to glance at a map for reference, it's just the one they give you is pretty bad, and there's no big map to get to know the city layout with.

I'm not sure about this one, having to drive miles to each new race.

Definitely agree, and having to warp to the spot you first picked up a car every time you switch to it is even worse.

The soundtrack sucks, yea, I know it's a subjective thing but still.

It really does, I turned it off after about 20 min when I heard that terrible rendition of The Who's Exodus by some unknown band that butchered the poor song.

#9 Posted by Mathesar (571 posts) -

Since the game feels so much like Burnout I was actually kind of annoyed that they removed the slow-mo take down action sequences when ramming other cars / police off the road etc.

#10 Posted by drummer131 (3210 posts) -
My prior experience with NFS is 2010's HP. That game's a gem in my opinion. This game has yet to come anywhere close to HP in the time I've played it so far. The soundtrack is inferior, the handling seems lackluster in comparison, the overall design isn't as slick, the visuals aren't as sharp... Blegh. Still fun to play, but not as great as it could have been.
#11 Posted by YesButNo (16 posts) -
SERIOUSLY why are you guys hating the soundtrack??? It's just a soundtrack, every game that i've played's soundtrack has sucked to me. But in this game, you can use the songs on your PS3 (Idk about the other consoles), and play them through the game. Yes the single player is easy, and mindless in some places, but it's always fun, there are always other things to beat, than just the races... Like the billboards that your friends always try to jump further than you on. Or the speedcameras or longest pursuit... Yeah those are cheap ways to keep you entertained, but they work! Also, why are all of you practically only talking about single player?? The Multiplayer is awesome. You don't find random cars everywhere, you have to UNLOCK them. There is a huuuuuge variation of races. And there are other things like jumping, drifting, and takedown challenge things... The multiplayer gives this game's play life a booster by about 400% I reckon. P.S, the tire smoke is good, unlike other games when there is a tiny little fizz of grey coloured texture. Have you seen real life drifting? HEAPS of smoke.
#12 Posted by jollyjoel23 (11 posts) -
The downsides for me that it is WAY too easy to evade the cops, gameplay needs to be longer between MW races and u have to change cars every 5 races.
#13 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

The downsides for me that it is WAY too easy to evade the cops...jollyjoel23

Yeah I can consistently nail Bloody Nose in under a minute and last time was under 50 sec. I don't even jump that ramp at the start and it confuses the hell out of the cops that are near you at the start. After that I just cross the bridge and get a cooldown shortly after the roadblock, then it's a couple quick turns, drop off an overpass, and I'm in a spot where none of them can find me.

#14 Posted by fungkuru (3 posts) -
Agree with most of the issues with the game that has been addressed. 1. Sun glare 2. Random street cars + huge truck that will obstruct your race 3. The huge popup message that inform you that you've earned a new upgrades 4. Should have improve the checkpoint (Pointers) as you can easily missed it especially on first/second race. You need to really get familiarized with the track to avoid such occurrence. Summary:- Apart from certain skill you need to be good at drifting + memorizing the track, the gameplay is quite depending on luck as obstruction would appear very sudden to inevitably cause you to crash. Please make improvement in the future Criterion !
#15 Posted by freddy-a (4 posts) -

These 2 things annoy the hell out of me:

1. When I'm in the easy drive menu, it often closes, even when I'm cycling through stuff. Why? It seems like you have only so many seconds to do your thing..

2. When I earn an upgrade I don't need it to come up in huge letters DIRECTLY in front of me so that I can't see where I am going. I'm in the middle of a race and I need my view! Who the hell tested this and thought it would be cool to lose a race because you can't see what is in front of you for about 5 seconds?

Otherwise it's a great game, but these two flaws are really annoying.

#16 Posted by CallMeDsss (71 posts) -

Yes, I find the need to scroll the fact that something changed going across the screen in big print is murder sometimes.  I know what is going on, I don't need to be told.

Traffic is traffic...what can you do...it is hell but soccer moms gotta drive.

The cop chases are one thing that I do give the game credit for.  The rubber band is a bit annoying but I can live with that.  Jumping onto I-92 and allowing the cops to pull up next to you, bumping and grinding is enthralling.

I was and can still be considered an avid NFS HP player so the BIGGEST draw back to this game....I can't get into a cop car.  Hate that.

#17 Posted by CallMeDsss (71 posts) -

Oh...sunglare.  I mean really now.

#18 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

It's ironic though how despite all these obvious annoyances like road spray on seemingly dry roads, cued traffic obstructions at the worst possible time, onscreen messages obscuring your view, and the Easy Drive menu disappearing after a few seconds, it's still an overly easy, repetitious, boring game to play. So I have to say, I don't see any sense in appealing to Criterion to please make a better one next time. Haven't they already made it clear they don't give a crap about keeping the integrity of a game series? I instead appeal to EA to let someone else develop the next one.

#19 Posted by Mad627 (1 posts) -
HANDLING!!??- how fun did the 'developers' think this game would be by giving each car the handling characteristics of the titanic!? I thought the Run was going to be the worse this series would offer but Criterion have just topped that, all copies of any burnouts I have will now be binned. Clearly EA and Criterion know slapping NFS on any half finished race code and tart up the graphics will bring in the profits which after the 50p spent on 'development' will be more than enough to mean more lazily done eye candy for next year. If you turn the camera to the side on of your car and put full turn on the steering you can see the slooooww steering in action! Thank the gaming gods for TURN 10 and PLAYGROUND GAMES for genuine racing masterpieces! Never again will EA and Criterion defraud me of my hard earned cash!! At the very least it could have had the option of fine tuning the handling! And an EVO that accelerates like a milk float is a fine example of their incompetence!!!
#20 Posted by YesButNo (16 posts) -
[QUOTE="fungkuru"]Agree with most of the issues with the game that has been addressed. 1. Sun glare 2. Random street cars + huge truck that will obstruct your race 3. The huge popup message that inform you that you've earned a new upgrades 4. Should have improve the checkpoint (Pointers) as you can easily missed it especially on first/second race. You need to really get familiarized with the track to avoid such occurrence. Summary:- Apart from certain skill you need to be good at drifting + memorizing the track, the gameplay is quite depending on luck as obstruction would appear very sudden to inevitably cause you to crash. Please make improvement in the future Criterion !

1. In real life, there's a thing called sunstrike. It's tryna be realistic-ish with that aspect. 2. In every game, there are random street cars, you just have to not suck to dodge them. Trucks don't obstruct your race? It's basically like any other thing in the way, go around it. Even if you crash into it, it's not the end of the world. 3. Yeah that's annoying. ;D 4 They're good, so you can't shortcut the whole race. And you should be able to look down to your GPS every now and then to check up on where you're going. Which means you don't have to get familiarized with the track. The gameplay is depending on your skill as a player. Like any other game.