Will this game be the best one in the series?

#1 Posted by HookedonPhonicx (376 posts) -

I have never bought a naruto fighting game. I have always rented them before, mainly for the story cause I don't really watch the anime much. Will this be the best one yet like how DBZ budokai 3 was for that series?

#2 Posted by Oldboy08 (1499 posts) -

Most likely yes. I have played all the games since the first Narutimate for PS2. The gameplay at this point is perfected. And they seem to have returned to the epic boss battles of NSUNS1 for PS3, mixed with the emotionally charged boss battles for NSUNS2. I have played the demo numerous times. Watching that ending video has me very excited for the potential of this game. Can't wait to sink in 50 or so hours and get the platinum. I just hope they don't have the 50 online victories or whatever the number was from NSUNS2. That was just frustrating as people online are idiot spammers.

#3 Posted by vengefulwilberg (1636 posts) -

Most likely yes. I have played all the games since the first Narutimate for PS2. The gameplay at this point is perfected. And they seem to have returned to the epic boss battles of NSUNS1 for PS3, mixed with the emotionally charged boss battles for NSUNS2. I have played the demo numerous times. Watching that ending video has me very excited for the potential of this game. Can't wait to sink in 50 or so hours and get the platinum. I just hope they don't have the 50 online victories or whatever the number was from NSUNS2. That was just frustrating as people online are idiot spammers.

Oldboy08

I agree with you.  The spammers and op support users really ruined the fun that could have been had. 

#4 Posted by vengefulwilberg (1636 posts) -

To answer your question it most likely will be good for a few reasons.  It looks like the story mode is back and better than ever.  The gameplay seems good especially since the horrible Hidan support has been nerfed.  The chakra dash no longer drains your guard and blocked chakra dashes can finally be punished.  I heard you sub farther away too.  Awakened characters can also eat a grab or ultimate. 

The roster is terrible though.  Some PTS characters make a return including some op ones, many important characters in the ninja war are not playable, and the alternate characters for Bee and Itachi are taking up space instead of being treated like Kirin Sasuke.  To be honest Pain and Hidan should have never been brought back. XD  However, spammers and op support users still have popular op support options like Pain, PTS Gaara, and Kimmimaru.

#5 Posted by feared4power (621 posts) -

hell yeah standing still in uns1 was fun then dodge then attack such epic boss fight

#6 Posted by HookedonPhonicx (376 posts) -

Got another question about the online play, have they added a tournament mode you can do with friends vs AI?

Also how did they nerf Hidan as a support character?

about this ad

about this ad
#7 Posted by vengefulwilberg (1636 posts) -

Got another question about the online play, have they added a tournament mode you can do with friends vs AI?

Also how did they nerf Hidan as a support character?

about this ad

about this adHookedonPhonicx

I don't think they got a mode like that.  It would be nice to have something like that when you are tired of playing a bunch a try hards; because spammers and op support users are still going to be playing.  I saw some footage of online play from people who somehow got the game early and it is a bit of a shame to see people still spamming like crazy and the game isn't even out yet. 

Here is how they nerfed Hidan.  Hidan's attack does about four hits and if you block the first hit; then Hidan will leave right away.  I also just learned that PTS Gaara support no longer has insane tracking; so that support will now be useless.  It seems like Kimmimaru is going to be the new overused op support.  I think the start up for Pain and Nagato is a bit longer. 

The almighty push support will still be annoying; but the little extra start up time should help you deal with it a like more as long as you are not overly aggressive.  I am also happy that those mindless chakra dashers will finally be able to get punished after a blocked chakra dash.  Plus the chakra dash no longer drains your guard.  I don't mind players being aggressive; but some just want to desperately break your guard to get off cheap ultimates. 

#8 Posted by vengefulwilberg (1636 posts) -

I also like how the TC mentioned how great DBZ Budokai 3 is.  To me DBZ Budokai 3 was the best DBZ game ever created due to how epic the moves were, the game was balanced, and down right fun to play.  The moves and cinematic gameplay in that game really had that DBZ feel that a lot of the other games were missing.  If the DBZ Budokai HD collection had an online mode I would be playing that just as much as I will be playing Storm 3.

#9 Posted by vengefulwilberg (1636 posts) -

I also like how the TC mentioned how great DBZ Budokai 3 is.  To me DBZ Budokai 3 was the best DBZ game ever created due to how epic the moves were, the game was balanced, and down right fun to play.  The moves and cinematic gameplay in that game really had that DBZ feel that a lot of the other games were missing.  If the DBZ Budokai HD collection had an online mode I would be playing that just as much as I will be playing Storm 3.

#10 Posted by Zuralol (2 posts) -
wont be the best if characters are missing and if it doesnt have much new things.
#11 Posted by SCOREZOR (56 posts) -
yeah,me personally, i don't like this game, so i'm not gonna buy it, because i want new things and new characters and i don't have nothing :/ too bad ...
#12 Posted by Yamakoichi (318 posts) -

I liked that the older 2D ones had combos that could low attack to break a guard, which they removed, now you have to really work to get through your opponents defence. This is one of those games at first glance looks really easy and all the characters are the same.

However once you get out of the lowbie phase and really start learning the game it gets very deep very quick, kind of like in UNS2 when peopel discovered Kirin Sasuke could use his UJ on a bounced opponent, which could then not block or avoid.

It is all about learning how to use your J and UJ to punish your opponent and when to guess they are going to sub so you know to dash mid combo to catch them in the act of retaliation.

I like the leap in sub from 2 to Generations and now how they have made the same leap again in awakenings, the game has a completely different feeling to the other games previously and is definitely the best system now.

I am still yet to test the multiplayer online for this one, I hope it is not as host dependant as Storm 2 and Generations.... also, why do people hate on spammers? they were the easiest people to beat.

- Rasengan/Chidori Spam - Do you UJ as they do rasengan/chidori and hurray free UJ
- Sub+grab spam - force them to waste all their chakra with shurikens, then combo
- Ultimate Spam - side step and UJ back
- Range Spam - normal shurikens go through their range attacks, so use ninja movement with ninja tools
- Rebound support spam - These were actually the good players, would use an attack type for an extra hit then do UTJ on you before you could land from rebound, the idea was the avoid the last hit in the combo or being knocked back from an exploding tag, was always a fun fight.

Here is a tip for basic strategy in storm 3 (I had a 300 - 12 W/L in Storm 2 and a pretty good one in Generations)
#Start off moving, you never really want to stand still to judge your opponent, you can ninja movement and throw shuriken to keep them on their toes. To see if they are going to fight or attempt a spam
#When you do attack, if they do not guard, people will normally substitution on the third hit or so, you want to chakra dash mid combo, which causes a golden spark flash on your character and you can continue to attack, it is very easy to drain all their substitutions and keep the assault on, if they do use them all, they are going to recieve a full combo.
# when you substitute it is best to block if you think they are going to dash you, as this will stun them when they dash your guard, if they keep the combo going you can either grab or perform a combo or attempt a jutsu, normal or ultimate, whichever you feel is idea for the situation.
# Most people will repeat themselves, watch for this, you can very easily punish this behavoir, such as some jutsu cause your opponent to be forced still, easy opitunity to land a jutsu or ultimate jutsu.
# Ninja Tools are your friends, learn to use them correctly
# Team support, built that guage as fast as you can, having an attack and support type is my preference, so I can followup rebound extra attacks with my UTJ or UJ and sometimes if you fall into a UJ your support will take it for you.
# Also there is a new function when you hold attack that allows you to do a quick dash and then have a team mate follow up an attack (you can do this mid combo), learn why this is useful and use it to your advantage.
# Some characters can now Awaken mid combo, learn to use it