The game that started a phenomenon!

User Rating: 9 | Mortal Kombat: Shinken Kourin Densetsu GEN
Reviewer's Note: As a big fan of Mortal Kombat, I feel it is my duty to go back and review every game (besides the handhelds) in the series.

Midway's biggest selling series started in 1992. With digitized actors and gruesome fatalities, Mortal Kombat took arcades and consoles by storm!

Goro lives! The half-dragon, half-human Shokan warrior defeated the great Kung Lao 500 years ago. This victory handed over the Mortal Kombat tournament to Shang Tsung and the forces of Outworld. The tournament is held once every generation. It is once again time and this time, the represenatives from Earthrealm must win.

The first MK had seven characters to play as and two unplayable. MK was also the first fighting game to have a hidden fighter, Reptile. Each character has special moves to match their backround or status. Who could forget Sub-Zero's iceball or Scorpion throwing his spear and yelling "Get Over Here!"?

In addition to these special moves, each character was given their own fatality, a gruesome finishing move that would kill the opponent. These fatalities are what took the game all the way to congress.

The controls are simple as were all games back then. Simple punches and kicks, plus easy commands to use special moves.

The graphics for the Genesis version aren't as compelling as the Super NES version. The digitized actors still look great, but it's easy to tell that the backgrounds are animated. However, we must not forget that the Genesis version has the blood and gore.

The first Mortal Kombat was an instant classic and shall live on in video game history. If you're a lover of classic or fighting games, go dig this up. You won't be disappointed.

Look for my reviews on the other Mortal Kombat games.