A solid FPS for the DS.

User Rating: 9.3 | Metroid Prime: Hunters DS
First off, I have to say that I am not exactly a diehard fan of first person shooters. Besides this game (which is my first Metroid game ever), I've only played Goldeneye and Halo (2). Granted, my experience with FPSs is great but I honestly didn't know what to expect from this game. I'm glad to report that I was very pleasantly surprised with it and as a result, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

As far as the graphics and sound are concerned, both are very impressive. The DS is clearly being pushed to its limits to pull off such detail. I really enjoyed the music and between the music and the sound effects, you can't help but really feel immersed in the game.

In regards to the gameplay, I have to say that it took me a while to get used to how the controls worked. After enduring the initial sore hands, I was fine. I could never get the stylus mode down (in truth, I really didn't like it at all), but I didn't feel like I was missing out because the control with the buttons was satisfying enough for me.

While I feel this game is incredible, I have to say that there were a few things that I noticed along the way that bugged me just a bit.
1) You can't save often enough. Since I'm more of an RPG guy, the fact I couldn't save "early and often" was something I had to get used to. The portals right before the boss areas were nice, but the overall lack of save points (your ship is it) was not.
2) The game is repetitive. You revisit the same four levels twice, and in this time, you battle four different versions of the same two bosses. Upon beating each boss, you have a countdown ticking down to the level's destruction (or something, but nothing happens). Personally, I found this to be a slight detriment to the game but the gameplay is what kept me interested and engaged.
3) I felt the game was a bit short. I'm sure it's because it's repetitive. I think the levels could have been a bit longer. And maybe if the bosses were each unique, then maybe it wouldn't have felt so short.
4) Enemies are scarse. Coming from Halo, I definitely noticed this. I don't know if this is typical Metroid fare, but it took some getting used to, not constantly having to shoot at enemies all the time.

All in all, the game is awesome. I'm sure my numbered flaws ^ make it sound like I didn't really enjoy it, but I definitely did. I just want to let anyone who reads this review know what's up.
The game is hard and challenging, which is good. The multiplayer (non-Wifi) is awesome. The campaign could have been longer, but I was still very pleased with it. And so, I give this game the rating stated above. It deserves it because it has gotten me interested in the Metroid series and even with its minimal flaws, the overall experience made up for them in spades. :)