Sort of Hair-Brained theory here *Potential Series Spoilers*

#1 Posted by Rusecue (1 posts) -

So, I've been thinking about this game a lot since... Well, yesterday, and a lot of the things about the game name and the trailer struck me as odd.

First off, at the beginning of the trailer, we see Big Boss being resuscitated with Miller next to him. The point of view we have is somewhat odd, but not unheard of these days, since it could have been used for dramatic effect. But for some reason, one of the doctors looks right at us (the viewers of the trailer) at some brief points, as if we're seeing through someone else's eyes. And then Miller says, "What about him?", also looking at us. Just before it cuts away, you can see the doctor turning in our direction slightly.

Now, the name of this game. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. The first thing that struck me about the title was how the roman numeral of five was used instead of the commonplace 5 (Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots), though it didn't really bother me much until the end of the video, when a voice says "V has come to". Later on, I read that David Hayter would not be reprising his role as Big Boss, which isn't really a big deal (Richard Doyle voiced him in 4, after all), but you'd think he would be the choice to voice him in this installment since it was when he was much younger (although he still voiced Old Snake in 4). The voice thing could be unintentional, but it got me to thinking about this theory.

So, all of this got me thinking. Is it possible that we won't be playing as Big Boss in this game, just another clone nicknamed "V"? Remember, Liquid and Solidus didn't have the same voice as Big Boss, either. V could be the nickname of this clone since he'd be the fifth existing version of Big Boss (Liquid, Solid, Solidus, and of course Big Boss himself).

There's a few other things I'd like to add. The rest of the title, "Phantom Pain", could it be called that because this clone of Big Boss, a "phantom" of sorts, is experiencing pain that everybody believes Big Boss is experiencing? And what about the song they chose, could it have any kind of relation to the plot? I'm not to sure on those last two.

Sorry if this has been posted before, or if it seemed dumb. Any thoughts?

#2 Posted by nervmeister (15266 posts) -
I theorized too that we may be playing as another clone ("V" being perhaps the fifth clone in the Les Enfantes Terrible project) that will probably die by the end of the game (either killed by the real Big Boss or due to medical complications from the cloning proedure as evidenced by the odd growth from his forehead).
#3 Posted by nervmeister (15266 posts) -

continued: Because it'd be kind of miraculous if they got three successful clones on their first three attempts at cloning the original. There must've been "trial runs" that didn't end too well. This "V" in question may be the one with a "genetic mishap" sticking out of his forehead.