I'm not impressed with the demo

#1 Posted by jayd02 (783 posts) -

I just got done playing the demo and I'm not impressed. I know that I can't judge the game on a demo that is very clearly not done. Even with that the game just hasn't impressed me.

The game looks nice. In the opening scene of the game, after Raiden lands on the beach, the water effects on Raiden are terrible. Yes it was just a demo, but the visuals looked very grainy. (not sure if that is the correct terminology)

The game seemed slow. I'm not sure how many frames it is running at but it just seemed very sluggish. I would want to turn and Raiden just moved slow, or he was slow to move.

The camera was hard to deal with. I couldn't change it and for the boss in the demo it is locked onto him. That isn't really a problem because if it wasn't he would've been much more difficult. I wish they would put some options in for changing the camera. If they would let the camera go free for the player to control that would be good too.

I was on the PS3 version of the game so I did run into some bugs. Raiden's head was glitching in and out when I was turning the camera. The game froze on me when I went into blade mode against one of the Irving. Before you kill the guy from behind you can float on the invisible platform before you jump down. You can actually jump and land on that invisible platform.

Looking past all of that though. Knowing that the game is still far from completion, I'm not impressed. I know it isn't sneaking game but they could have at least made the little sneaking that is in it good. Raiden doesn't creep forward. It is either run or walk. You don't steathfully kill the enemy from behind. Now this could change in the actually game. The situation didn't call for stealth so that might be why he didn't do it in a steathy way. Besides that, in the demo you have the option to save a civilian. If you sneak up on the guard who is directly behind the civilian and kill him, that doens't notify the guard who was in front at all. After you kill the second guard you can almost walk directly in front of the guard who is above you and not notify him either. I even cut the ground from under him and this didn't notify him of my presence. This could be seen as a bug but these are things that get left in games and they bug me.

I would also like to know why Raiden has to walk extremly slow in order to throw a grenade? Unless they serve another purpose later on in the game they slow Raiden down too much to be effective. The same goes for the rocket launcher. Either they left them in the game like this as a means to deter you away from using them and just stick to the sword play, or just another bug, it needs to be fixed or changed. If anything just take them out of the game all together, they serve little to no purpose what so ever. I only used the rocket once and that was to see if the thing actually worked. Still don't know if the grenades do. I tried to throw one and got kicked in the face by Irving.

I've digressed from the ending of this post. Even after looking past all of this and focusing on what the game is supposed to do, it doesn't impress me. I'm not really interested in the story anymore. I can tell that it isn't coming direclty from the mind of Kojima. I can tell this from conversation and the inconsistency of Raiden's actions from the beginning to what he says to the prototype. It also seems somewhat tacked on about getting enemy electrolytes and arms. Just put into the game to give the player a reason to chop up the enemy. Hopefully in the full they explain why he needs to recharge in that fashion. I also hope they give a good reason as to why Raiden decided to fight again. Just saying he works as protection and he got involved isn't enough. If he is fueled by revenge then it needs to be aparent. The beginning of the demo shows this but the end shows something almost completly different. I would have been ok with this but it was too different from Raiden in the beginning and it was a completly different personality from what he have seen before.

Just rating this game from the demo I would give it a solid 7. The game works but it doesn't do much after that.

#2 Posted by Dominus_1 (1 posts) -
You are free to control the camera with the left stick... And you press it in to center the camera behind Raiden just like most action games. R2 also is the lock on button that you click on and off to lock onto an enemy. Game runs at 60 fps and I don't feel like raiden controls sluggish at all, he controls great! He's also pretty fast and smooth if you use ninja run.
I'd agree that the stealth feels lackluster and the AI seems dumb when it comes to stealth so I hope they tweak that in the final game.

The story is being developed by KojiPro but I don't think Kojima is penning it.. And from what I've read he joins a PMC to help make money to support his family (which makes some sense because he can't really get a normal job). He's protecting the prime minister of some country early on and gets ambushed and almost killed by a cyber ninja named Sam. So he is rebuilt and is out for vengeance against Sam and the desparados for destroying him, and the person he was protecting. Also probably mad about the cyborgs (and other soldiers) being manipulated as children to fighter later on........
#3 Posted by jayd02 (783 posts) -

You are free to control the camera with the left stick... And you press it in to center the camera behind Raiden just like most action games. R2 also is the lock on button that you click on and off to lock onto an enemy. Game runs at 60 fps and I don't feel like raiden controls sluggish at all, he controls great! He's also pretty fast and smooth if you use ninja run.
I'd agree that the stealth feels lackluster and the AI seems dumb when it comes to stealth so I hope they tweak that in the final game.

The story is being developed by KojiPro but I don't think Kojima is penning it.. And from what I've read he joins a PMC to help make money to support his family (which makes some sense because he can't really get a normal job). He's protecting the prime minister of some country early on and gets ambushed and almost killed by a cyber ninja named Sam. So he is rebuilt and is out for vengeance against Sam and the desparados for destroying him, and the person he was protecting. Also probably mad about the cyborgs (and other soldiers) being manipulated as children to fighter later on........
Dominus_1

I understood the story from just watching but it just seems very lackluster to me.  I can tell that it wasn't Kojima.  It seems very hollywood and typical.  I guess I can understand his job position but even then it is somewhat hard to believe.  The end of 4 was Raiden regaining the humanity that he lost when he became a cyborg.  To me, him going back to that is like saying I don't care about my family again.  When you kill the first bunch of enemies too he seems ruthless which really wasn't the person we left in 4.  I can understand him wanting to get revenge but it was almost a complete 360.  Then at the end of the demo it was as if he gained 50 years of wisdom.  The way he talked to the cyborg and wasn't as aggressive was just weird.

I also tried to fix my post about the lock on but for some reason it wouldn't let me.

Also if you move the camera and start to move it jumps back behind Raiden which I don't like.  Sometimes I want it to stay in that spot without me having to hold it over.

I still feel the movement is sluggish though.  If not sluggish then like a robot and not cyborg.  He seem him very acrobatic in trailers and in 4.  Then we get a hold of him and I just don't feel like I am controlling that.  He can't creep like I said.  He is either all in or all out.  You can't make small adjustments.  Which is picky, I know, but they are in almost every game today.  Even Metal Gear Solid was pressure sensative to the controls.  The ninja run is only good for certain points.  The only thing it is really good for is  running faster and climbing faster.  

I still don't know

#4 Posted by burra4141 (42 posts) -

dude its not a stealth game, nor was it ever intended to be. raiden (mgs4 - ) doesnt sneak he runs in and slaughters everything that moves with flashy blade attacks. and for that type of fighting style i think they did pretty darn good. character models are done really well as well as all of raidens different motions, such as how he correctly holds his sword in blade mode and so forth. i think its gonna be a pretty snazzy game.

#5 Posted by porkchopxp (1155 posts) -

Does the demo come on the ZotE disc, a seperate disc or as a download code??

#6 Posted by Aetherlol (9 posts) -

I'd love to try this but I can't for the life of me find out where the demo is supposed to be. I have the collectors edition of ZOE:C and on both the collectors box and the game case it says it comes with the demo but it doesn't seem to be on-disk?

#7 Posted by jayd02 (783 posts) -

It should come up when you put in the disc.  It should ask you to install before you can play under the games tab.

#8 Posted by Aetherlol (9 posts) -

Oh wow>,< thanks.

#11 Posted by Keaze_ (275 posts) -

I haven't played the demo.  But I can imagine what it feels like.  I mean what did we expect really?  It's hard to make something amazing from pure swordplay.  Only game I know of that nailed it was Ninja Gaiden 2.  The gameplay looks like a reboot of Bayonetta.  Same kind of stance and fluidity of movement.  Although it's not the same director, I imagine it's a lot of the same team.  Bayonetta was great though.  I expect this to get a 7.5.  8 at best.  Still entertaining though probably.

#12 Posted by daviz88 (68 posts) -
not surprised ,i mean look at the gameplay ,hack and slash ,giant robot ,high tech ninjas, lame villains it looks like a R rated version of the power ranger
#13 Posted by greebe55 (45 posts) -

i had fun cutting down trees at the beginning, then it got boring. not into this as much as i had hoped

#14 Posted by zombiedriveby (14 posts) -

LOL, just got done with the demo .....I can't wait to read the hate for this game....I on the other hand can see the direction they were going in ...but I still don't care for it .... My only real question is why there is an alert system at all , besides the few flanking/stealth kills the demo allowed ....but I have known stealth was not going to play a huge part in it at all ...seeing as how all the footage I have seen shows Raiden slashing a car into a million pieces....the sword play is cool, ala' afro samarai ...all in all the game looks pretty and controls nicely ,and I think it will get the point the developers wanted across : Raiden is pissed. I will still be waiting for a solid stealth metal gear for xbox....p.s. haters gonna hate

#15 Posted by zombiedriveby (14 posts) -

but I almost forgot....this is not a metal gear solid game...it's a metal gear rising game...a new franchise ....so....yea

#16 Posted by alsatian86 (33 posts) -

The demo was way too short... I actually liked the game, it was much harder than I thought it would be. The blade mode takes a little getting used to, but it def makes you feel like a badass cyborg ninja. There was a lot more stealth in it than I though there would be, but not nearly as much as would appear in a normal metal gear game (btw The cardboard box makes its return, but they hid it in a really bad spot in the demo: it's in the tutorial on top of the second level, you have to slice down half of a bridge to get up there, but it allows for more sneaking options once you have it...). All in all this demo passed the test for me, and did not make me want to cancel my pre-order. Graphics were pretty solid, Raiden was expectedly badass-psychotic, the supporting characters seem decent (I'm curious to see what happens with the doktor when you collect left arms and sell them to him, which for the life in me I couldn't seem to collect) and the blade wolf looks like he's going to be an interesting character. I don't know if this will be an A+ title like most the other Metal Gears, in fact I doubt it, prob a B game... But who knows, we'll see in a month... 

#17 Posted by samclockwise (187 posts) -

I get its not a stealth game. but it is a action game. This game has good fighting. It has good fighting if you never need to guard or parry. I just know when I play dmc i guard a lot or when I play ninja gaiden I rolled and gaurded a lot. I say this game is a lot like ninja gaiden. But the blocking in this game or in the demo was very poorly done. I found my self running around and jumping a lot. Some hit that I really wanted to avoid I found I couldn't because I just could get out of way fast enough.

#18 Posted by samclockwise (187 posts) -

just thinking for a second. this was just a demo. every metal gear game I have every played. has had some kind of tutorial. in the beginning. showing how to move, guard, fight, everything. this was just a demo to show off the game.

#19 Posted by Boofer331 (1751 posts) -

not surprised ,i mean look at the gameplay ,hack and slash ,giant robot ,high tech ninjas, lame villains it looks like a R rated version of the power ranger daviz88

So is the new "in" thing for video games to dislike non-shooters? Sorry for not hopping on the bandwagon, but hearing about "hack and slash" this and that is a little irritating. I'm still unsure whether "hack and slash" simply denotes all swordplay/melee driven games, or if it's a subtle insult to said game type. I don't know any more.

I mean, I know it's the age of the first person shooter, but it boggles my mind how people can only play first person shooters. For me, third person games are more fun to play, but I don't go around saying "I'm not surprised it sucks...I mean, look at the gameplay, you can't even see your character.." It just sounds silly. Are Giant robots and high tech ninjas uncool? I wasn't aware. Or you must be one of those people who get high on ultra-realism, which bores me, but it's understandable that you like it.

Honestly, I liked the demo. I'm somewhat of a "hack and slash" fanatic, but I don't think it plays like any other hack and slash game. Initially I didn't like it. Hell, I still don't like that there's no dodge, but the challenge makes it pretty entertaining. For me, it was rather difficult to beat the boss character, but when I beat it, I felt accomplished; very much so. It was fast paced and rather smooth.

Flaws? I think they could've explained everything better in the tutorial. I found myself learning how to do things through trial and error. The missing dodge button irked me as well, but the ninja run made that more tolerable. Raiden's jumping was rather clunky/lacked coolness but that's a minor nitpick I guess...

Overall, I have a feeling this will be a challenging but short lived game when it comes out, and for that reason I don't foresee myself buying it right away. If there's one complaint about hack and slash games, I can agree that they tend to be rather short and when they are they're not really worth the price tag. I think these developers should try to incorporate some multiplayer action to keep the attention of the people who grew out of the hack and slash games..

#20 Posted by dalua360 (698 posts) -

Normally I would write a huge text to explain what I think is wrong with this Demo, but I'm so frustrated since Platinum Games took the project that this result called Demo is for sure exactly what we will play in the full version, so, in short: It's garbage!

#21 Posted by Goron24 (951 posts) -

Normally I would write a huge text to explain what I think is wrong with this Demo, but I'm so frustrated since Platinum Games took the project that this result called Demo is for sure exactly what we will play in the full version, so, in short: It's garbage!

dalua360

I agree the game was terrible. I am saddened since platinum games has a great track record until recently (anarchy reigns, this)

the game isn't even fluid, and if bayonetta can feel fluid why cant this.

#22 Posted by rebelious (1652 posts) -

My only complaint about the demo is that it was to short. Cant wait to play the full game

#23 Posted by Kabbalistica (7 posts) -

Boo! The demo is great! :D

#24 Posted by xxZiggyxx (401 posts) -

At first I wasn't too excited about this game but after playing the demo and watching the cutscenes got me intrigued.

I have pre-ordered the game and I can't wait to play with gray fox skin. 

#25 Posted by daviz88 (68 posts) -

to be honest i think they too many fps this generation,quit frankly i love 3rd persons better and also a big fan of hack and slash e.g good of war.i just think revengence is focusing on combat and action more than any thing else.and for a game set in the future too many enemies wield swords.

#26 Posted by DaDumb1 (3844 posts) -

to be honest i think they too many fps this generation,quit frankly i love 3rd persons better and also a big fan of hack and slash e.g good of war.i just think revengence is focusing on combat and action more than any thing else.and for a game set in the future too many enemies wield swords.

daviz88

Yeah, I thought the same about the swords, but considering you can cut missles out of the air and block bullets, it seems like guns aren't the most useful things around anymore.

#27 Posted by Dan11223344 (517 posts) -

The sword thing has been in metal gear 4 (the frogs engaged Raiden with swords). Its an artistic choice as it kind of mirrors Samurai culture, which seems to be a theme in the game, visually at least. Other than that, what the other guy said - Raiden blocks bullets and chops missiles, might as well try your knife when all else fails right?

#28 Posted by Huddds (1 posts) -
As a newcomer to metal gear and a massive fan of Bayoneta and DMC I have to admit I'm quite looking forward to the full version of the new Metal Gear, The demo didn't seem to show us its true potential. This trailer left me very hopeful there is more to come! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK5JGLQd_7E
#29 Posted by Rarnick (132 posts) -
Playing through the Bayonetta demo felt glorious. Playing through this demo felt meh.