Have the game.

#1 Posted by Shadow128 (627 posts) -

I have been playing the game and an currently on mission 3. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far; not sure why they chose the part they did for the demo, because it seems like the lamest part of the game so far.

I've played most of the Metal Gear Solid games, though I'm not much of a fan of the series. Don't expect MGS when going into this of course, but it retains a lot of the MGS style humor and some other things; cutscenes are definitly more Platinum than Kojima though. The handy cardboard box is back and you can sneak through areas without killing enemies (there is an achievement/trophy for no-kill battles as well), though I haven't bothered to try that yet.

If you have questions, ask away and I'll do my best to answer them.

#2 Posted by rahmie0789 (277 posts) -

nice waiting on my po right now. How the the combat fare? I didnt play the demo, but from what I saw on the trailers it looks as if combat lacks "impact". And how linear is it from what youve seen?

#3 Posted by Shadow128 (627 posts) -

Combat is fun but not as deep as some other hack and slash titles; you can expand your moveset but you won't be inputting a string of commands for any really complex moves, it's mostly about timing your blocks and parries if you want to be good. There is a feeling of "impact" to some moves but not most; despite that, it always feels good to chop away at things with a sword.

The game is very linear; apart from some offshoot rooms and such for hidden items, there aren't many alternate routes or choices in what you do (I think, unless it's implemented into gameplay somehow [if I didn't kill a bunch of enemies the story so far wouldn't make too much sense, ha]).

#4 Posted by JinKisaragi (35 posts) -

Maybe an awkward question but in the demo Boris calls you and you automatically walk and can't perform any other action, does this happen frequently in the campaign and is it skippable?

#5 Posted by wepeel (53 posts) -

Does the story/plot mesh well with the current storyline established by previous MGS games? Does Raiden's personality come across well in gameplay and cutscenes or does he feel more like a placeholder ninja?

#6 Posted by Shadow128 (627 posts) -

Maybe an awkward question but in the demo Boris calls you and you automatically walk and can't perform any other action, does this happen frequently in the campaign and is it skippable?JinKisaragi
These codec calls happen quite frequently, but I think you can skip them with the Y/triangle button (haven't tried yet since I've been listening to all of them), they're not extremely long calls though. For those who like codec dialoge, you can still go into the menu and make calls to people like in previous MGS games.

Does the story/plot mesh well with the current storyline established by previous MGS games? Does Raiden's personality come across well in gameplay and cutscenes or does he feel more like a placeholder ninja?wepeel
Raiden certainly shows personality and goes through some character development, though some of it feels forced and a bit rediculous. The plot reminds me a bit of Ninja Gaiden 3, where his enemies guilt him with the lives he has taken from the cyborg soldiers created from people who have all but lost their free will. I actually like Raiden's character and he isn't extremely generic.

Personally I was never very interested in the MGS story, but the story in this game doesn't seem to have much overlap with MGS anyway.

I'm still really enjoying the game; only thing I dislike so far is escaping grabs and stun moves where you have to wiggle the left stick, it's a really annoying action to do frequently and I would rather they let you just mash buttons or something instead.

#7 Posted by wepeel (53 posts) -

Can you feel early on how the plot is going to develop in a straightforward manner, or does the game throw curve balls at you?

#8 Posted by Shadow128 (627 posts) -

Can you feel early on how the plot is going to develop in a straightforward manner, or does the game throw curve balls at you?wepeel

I haven't been really surprised by any plot developments yet. I've been quite busy and haven't had much chance to play after my first session with it, but I'll probably be finishing it up tonight; I'll post back if the story does surprise me with a twist of some kind.

#9 Posted by theaznfish (537 posts) -

This game won't get a 9, and if the ending where anything to judge the game in full, it shouldn't even really be getting a 7... I won't spoil the ending, but I will say a lot of games that have recently come out [DMC5, Aliens: Colonial Marines, this game included] have a one thing in common: the blantant or at least an undertone of disestablishmentarianism (particularly against corporations & standing policies of government) and playing on the negative stereotypes against them.  [IE: All corporations and government bodies (especially America) are evil, war-mongering, greedy pigs and will suck the life out of the poor people who are always the ones to suffer].  Out of all the games THIS one is definitely the biggest, blantant one guilty of this... it seriously doesn't even try to hide the fact.  [when you reach the final boss, you'll see what I mean].  This game does not follow the complexities of a storyline like Hideo Kojimas other MGS games, it's just a cookie cut robinhood vs tryannical Prince John story that by the end of the game, made me facepalm myself thinking... I guess they don't care of the MGS series anymore, but hey, I guess that's really the trend of all good games these days.  They first start out by being great hits for their innovation and uniquiness, but eventually by game 3,4 or 5 they get passed off to another studio that can't even deliver half of the goods the first games of the series gave.  [Silent Hill, GoW, DMC, Aliens, Dead Space, CoD, Resident Evil, FEAR, C&C, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc...] By the ending, you'll be asking yourself, "Wow... does Platnum Games hate America or play on American stereotypes?"  

If you read up on the development of the game, and the many attempts to get this game going, the main issue you'll find with it is that the storyline was scrapped several times, the main reason being due to a new inexperienced staff in Kojima's company and their inability to implement sword-play mechanics into their original game concept.  Originally it was going to be a MGS5 [scrapped] > then under Hideo "Rising" would take place b/t MGS2 and 4 [scrapped] > Platnum games takes over and revamps the entire thing [final product].  The passing of the game to Platnum was done to get the sword-play mechanics into the game, but Kojima basically gave the whole game development to them [storyline, gameplay and all] b/c Hideo was busy with Peace Walker.  *Sigh....

In terms of gameplay, if you've played Anarchy Reigns, well... that's pretty much what the combat feels like.  The only addition to it is the obvious slow-mo for sword slashing purposes.  The voice acting is... okay... but Raiden sounds a lot like Christian Bale does as Batman.  Actually that might be unfair b/c at least Christian Bale did a decent Batman.  Despite them using the same VA- Quinton Flynn, he sounds nothing like he did in MGS2 or 4.  At points he sounds downright goofy...  Anyways, if you really must, you can buy the game, but don't expect a Metal Gear Solid 5 quality of it.

#10 Posted by wepeel (53 posts) -

Thanks for the info theaznfish, though your post makes me disappointed beyond words. I don't really mind the disestablishmentarianism part per se, as the way people with power ruthlessly exploit those without it and generally lie and manipulate has always been a major MGS theme. But to hear that there's no deeper meaning to the storyline beyond setting the stage for swordplay action really gets me. I guess I can just hope I'll see different aspects in it than you did.

On the whole, I can't see what was so troublesome about developing an MGS-like storyline and setting with MGR-like protagonist and mechanics.. why would it have to be one or the other?

#11 Posted by scaperat1 (202 posts) -

This game won't get a 9, and if the ending where anything to judge the game in full, it shouldn't even really be getting a 7... I won't spoil the ending, but I will say a lot of games that have recently come out [DMC5, Aliens: Colonial Marines, this game included] have a one thing in common: the blantant or at least an undertone of disestablishmentarianism (particularly against corporations & standing policies of government) and playing on the negative stereotypes against them.  [IE: All corporations and government bodies (especially America) are evil, war-mongering, greedy pigs and will suck the life out of the poor people who are always the ones to suffer].  Out of all the games THIS one is definitely the biggest, blantant one guilty of this... it seriously doesn't even try to hide the fact.  [when you reach the final boss, you'll see what I mean].  This game does not follow the complexities of a storyline like Hideo Kojimas other MGS games, it's just a cookie cut robinhood vs tryannical Prince John story that by the end of the game, made me facepalm myself thinking.

theaznfish

So basically, it will meet my expectations. Kojima isn't directly involved so I never expected this to be like the main MGS games. All I want is a great hack n' slash game set in the MGS world; I finally get to play a cyborg ninja. I enjoyed the demo, so I don't see why I won't enjoy this. I don't really need a overly complex plot to enjoy a game. That was fine for MGS 1-4 because that's what they were. As for the anti-establishment undertones, that's always been part of the series.

#12 Posted by RAvEcREAToR23 (79 posts) -

interesting how mutch dvd on stupidbox and pc this game ?