Playing the Mega Man Anniversary Collection is like taking a trip down memory lane.

User Rating: 8.2 | Mega Man Anniversary Collection GC
I only ever owned Mega Man 3, but I was able (though several game rentals) to be able to play and beat all of the original Mega Man games over the years. I have always loved the Mega Man series and several times I though about trying to obtain the entire collection, but the original Mega Man game (and some of the later ones) were very difficult, if not impossible, to obtain. This collection finally gave to me something I always wanted, all the Mega Man games at my fingertips.

All of the games have been copied to the GameCube format in almost perfect quality, except for two issues I could find. Firstly, and least annoying, the button configuration they used was reversed from the original controller. I believe the ‘A’ and ‘B’ buttons still do the same action, but the buttons have been reversed on the controller, meaning ‘left button’ and ‘right button’ wise the actions are reversed. This is only annoying, and will easily be adapted to after 10 minutes of playing, but it could have been avoided if the game allowed for a controller configuration screen. The second issue is something that I might be mistaken about. My memory is not the greatest thing, but I don’t recall any Mega Man games suddenly coming to an end after beating Wily without some kind of cutscene prior to the credits. However this happens 2 or 3 times in the collection where a game ends and you immediately go to credits. I feel like something was removed, but I’m not 100% sure. Other than that all the games are there in their entirety, with all the great stuff that made the games great in the first place.

Unfortunately I can’t really applaud the extras that are unlocked by beating the games. While there were some interesting design pictures, I was not impressed with the extra sound tracks, or the two extra games. The two extra arcade games, not previously released, were cute for a one time play, but I wouldn’t go back to play them again. I would have preferred to have had the Mega Man Soccer game that was released for the NES. On a high note, after you beat all the games you unlock a 20 television program that discusses the history of Mega Man and its evolution. It had many great interviews, including the original Mega Man creator.

I enjoyed playing all the Mega Man games again, and I would recommend this collection for all Mega Man fans, or just any fans of the older gameplay systems. It probably wouldn’t appeal to people who only enjoy state-of-the-art games.