Lots of hype but MWO is a gameplay disater.

#1 Posted by tar1901 (135 posts) -

I finally took the time, installed the game and played about 10 games.

First thing you notice is the game interface. It looks like is made for advertising and social media not a mech game interface. If there weren't mechs around you couldn't tell this game is related to MW4.

At first you get 4 mechs you can't configure. This are "training" mechs except this game has no training to speak of, you're thrown into matches with full upgraded mechs. I has 2 games where the entire team was killed without even seen who shot us. Great training!

All over the internet you find this nice gameplay videos from MWO, all in daylight all full of cool moves. In reality 2/3 of the game I had were at night where you stumble around using somekind of blury nightvision/infrared were you can see only blue and red spots until somebody shoots you with a laser and all you see is a red screen.

Moving around is almost impossible because you can't see building with that infrared only mechs, and if you want to see the building you can't see the mechs. Without a 3rd person view moving around buildings is almost impossible. You can't see what way you're going and you always have to look at the hud to see the small arrow that shows the direction of legs.

Then I got a "non-training" mech. The configuration for the loadout is so bad it doesn't even come close to MW4.

Bottom line.....awfull game, horrible gameplay, it's not even worth for free.

#2 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

Yeah the game sucks. What it needed was a single player campaign or ever co-op as an option as a separate part of the game, and then another for mp only. Without a story the game has no real meaning, and has the worst development I've seen since duke nukem forever.

I encourage others to let the devs know the game is not fun at all and that you are done playing it, and if it had a single player portion, thats not just some stupid series of training missions, like what chromehounds did, would have been an amazing series again.

#3 Posted by RocketDwarf (3 posts) -
I am sorry you had a bad experience with the trial mechs, have you tried to customize the mech you bought? The trial mechs are built poorly because they are using loadouts originally created for the hex-based board game this is based off of, and are not suited for a first person mech simulator format. One thing I often see is new players playing in assault class battlemechs, these tend to be somewhat punishing to new players because, as I stated earlier, they are not well built and are no match for their custom counter-parts. To say that because you bought a customizable mech that it should be better than stock configurations is somewhat premature, considering that they also start in stock configurations. How exactly do the loadouts and new-player experience equal gameplay? Gameplay is how the actual mechs handle and how the mechs balance with each other, not how well you did as a rookie first starting out. ALSO. BETA BETA BETA! This game is in open beta and will be released later this year (theoretically) and the development team has stated that the thing that will add more meaning to the game: community warfare, will begin to be added in stages throughout the year. Until then what we will be seeing is the raw basics in gameplay and mech customization, so please, don't actively try to kill a game before it is even released.
#4 Posted by tar1901 (135 posts) -

Well, I had another try at this game and I have to say this isn't a beta game, is an unfinished game. Beta usually have only some bugs to fix not change the gameplay and game stuff. There are so many bad things wrong with this game it's hard to know where to start.

Weapons are really bad compared to MW4. Lasers are more like the puse-lasers from MW4 and hitting for the full duration(they aren't instant hit like mw4) with a 100-150ms latency is impossible. Projectiles and PPC look like slow moving fire balls.

Another thing that makes gameplay impossible is the "realism" of MWO. Every time you're hit in the front of the mech the entire screen is full of effects you can't turn off. If somebody hits you with a PPC you're blind for 2 seconds. At night with infrared if your mech gets hit and heats up you can't see anything. Since you don't have a 3rd person you with a clear screen you're blind most of the time of the fight.

Then it's the match making(or better said no match making). I had several games yesterday where the entire enemy team was made of assault mechs(not trial) and our team made up med/heavy and many of them from the "trial" version. Half the games yesterday were lost without anyone killling 1 single enemy mech.

They could have taken the MW4 and made it online game but why not fail with a new game with new broken mechanics.

What can I say? Uninstall. Maybe I'll check it up again when they make a new expansion, that is if the game lives that long

#5 Posted by RocketDwarf (3 posts) -
I think you are misunderstanding the word "beta" A beta IS unfinished, that's sorta the point, to get feedback on features and bugs so that they can fix them. Dying without kills is sorta on you, this game has a very steep learning curve and is not designed to be random enough that you will always get a kill at some point, like CoD. I have not experienced blindness from PPCs, or any of the other things you have described. Have you considered that you are being effected by a bug? If you want to play MW4, PLAY MW4, don't say that this game is worse because it's somewhat different. From what I've heard from other people I have played with, MW4 games devolved into gauss sniper matches where teams sat behind ridges and took pot shots at each other until one team dropped, I wouldn't call that better than MWO.
#6 Posted by Freelance-1 (1 posts) -
I'm disappointed there is no single player element at all. Even a short campaign mode would have been great.
#7 Posted by Luckz (1 posts) -

I picked this up on Monday, and now it's Thursday and on each of those days I've put 10+ hours into the game. Can't agree with anything you wrote.

Like with all multiplayer games, it definitely helps to have people to play with.

#8 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

I completely agree with the topic creator. Game is no fun at all, and I did occassionally get kills but didn't feel elated. It's all about exploiting the glitches in the game.

I uninstalled it quite a while ago. Once in a while I'll check the site to see yet more bs from these guys. Without a single player story which is what I thought at first we would get after seeing their bull crap of a trailor showing destructible enviroment and voice actors only to get this...FTP games too me are ruining games.

This game has been in beta for many months most games are in beta for a month at the most and then they release the game. It's why console gaming is so much more satisfying. You can count on the development to be complete at some point but this game feels like a lack luster.

Uninstall this crappy game and just play the older games you will have a much better experience, not that you can really chat with team mates or anything no voice chat support, and hell no one tends to respond too you anyways.

Game is a failure to the franchise.

#9 Posted by GtWthTheProgram (2 posts) -
[QUOTE="RocketDwarf"]I think you are misunderstanding the word "beta" A beta IS unfinished, that's sorta the point, to get feedback on features and bugs so that they can fix them. Dying without kills is sorta on you, this game has a very steep learning curve and is not designed to be random enough that you will always get a kill at some point, like CoD. I have not experienced blindness from PPCs, or any of the other things you have described. Have you considered that you are being effected by a bug? If you want to play MW4, PLAY MW4, don't say that this game is worse because it's somewhat different. From what I've heard from other people I have played with, MW4 games devolved into gauss sniper matches where teams sat behind ridges and took pot shots at each other until one team dropped, I wouldn't call that better than MWO.

I think you're misunderstanding the word "beta" as it is currently used. They're accepting money for the thing, all you need to do to participate is to click a button and make an account, and bam, you now have the option to be a paying customer. The old "beta" defense rings so, so, so hollow. Stop using it. It's noise. What this is is actually the "marketing" phase. Having said that, I am finding the game to be pretty good. My only real objection to it is that it is VERY hard to break into. A full featured, lengthy tutorial and a noob match mode is critical if they want this thing to take off.
#10 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

They really out to put in bots for you to go against would give those new to the series a chance, instead they are likely to just give up and play another game.

#11 Posted by Ego6666 (1 posts) -
Some people really don't get this development concept. Some games go throught a short closed beta stage and are then released as a final product. Other games such as MWO go through long public beta stage, where the community actively helps the developers shape the product to its final form. Yes, the game is a bit rough on the edges still, but every month you see it become better and better. Just yesterday a new patch came out that fixed mentioned problems with targeting lasers on high ping clients. Soon We'll have the same for balistics. Interface also gets an overhaul soon. Matchmaking got improved some time ago, so you will get dropped with more players of your own rank. Most other stuff that was said above is just missing the point. This is not a first person shooter, it's more of a simulation game. You just can't expect to get to play it as a shooter and not get blown up. As for the singleplayer, I don't know how much you guys actually know about game development, but making a decent singleplayer campaign, specially in this kind of games is a very costly process, and gives you a very short term fix. I'd much rather see devs focus their resources on other stuff. It is true that the game is a bit diffficult to get started with, and noobs in premade chases should not be droped with seasoned players in highly optimized mechs, but that still does not make MWO a bad game, just a difficult one to master.
#12 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

I understand wher you are coming from but, for me personally the game is no fun. I might go ahead and give it another go, but I am very disappointed with it's development. I dont know any games where it goes through this much time under development and end up as a greater product than it was meant to be.

It may be costly to develop a story element in the game that wont be mediocre, but its gonna cost them more as mroe and more people are not wanting to payt he premium prices for stupid crap like lights in the cockpit.

I still prefer the old games. If they can do it and be very very very successful than why not this one? Honestly I think this would have been one that could have been on the console and actually work. The other console games were good for their times great even but they lacked the realistic battle interface and gameplay, with this using a really good engine one that the 360 has used really well now I think this game could have been amazing. I was imagine blowing up buildings and for it to actually look convincing, have really cool damage effects and other stuff, or really cool mini nuke explosions like all the other games.

This one feels like it strayed FAR away from what we all have original loved about the series. Frankly I'm just not a fan of mp only games. If your net is down you cant play it and I hate that, I rather be able to still play the game whether my net is down or not. It all depends ont eh community as well most of the time no one would chat with me or anything os gets boring pretty quick.

#13 Posted by doktron (252 posts) -

I highly disagree. MWO is a great game if you put the time into it. It is also a difficult game to get into if youve never played a mech game before.(mechassault dosent count...its not really a mech game). Problem is most people today are too use to all the handholding in games( aim-assist for example).

#14 Posted by doktron (252 posts) -

I highly disagree. MWO is a great game if you put the time into it. It is also a difficult game to get into if youve never played a mech game before.(mechassault dosent count...its not really a mech game). Problem is most people today are too use to all the handholding in games( aim-assist for example).MWO has a high learning curve and if you dont have the patience (or skill) to learn something that is hard,then dont bother.MWO is a simulator not a shooter,and the 1st thing u have to learn is to pilot the mech.If you never done it before then its going to be hard(like the 1st time u drove a car). But anything worth doing in life is hard and is highly rewarding.Another thing, the game is still in beta and is not the finished product.

#16 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

I have to admit it is getting better, but I'm still disappointed in the direction of free to play gaming for it. I wanted to be able to play against bots from a story prospective like in the other games, where you build up a team from light mechst to the assault give orders and kick some ass.

This feels nothing like the past games, and it's hard to swallow after a decade or more of playing them.

Sorry if I dont shower the game in love but I just dont feel this will be enough to breath life back into the series. I rather spend 50 bucks and get a really neat story with lots of stuff to blow up buildings, trees, just about everything.

I know it's a beta but it's been a beta for a long time. I'm getting pretty bored of it personally.

I at least average 2 kills a game, I'm not bad at it, but it's rather boring pace. I know it's supposed to be slower paced but most of the time a scout with the cursed ecm sneaks too our base and we cant get back in time to defend it which makes for not so much fun of an experience. Also a lot of people still getting booted due to poor networking, and or they dont know how to play it. They need to make rank based games so the balance is more fair.

#17 Posted by Sorceror_Breen (1 posts) -
I began Playing Battletech back in the Pencil and Paper days so i litterally grew up playing it started at age 12. I Played Cescent Hawks Inception and Crescent Hawks Revenge on the old C64. When i got my first PC it came with Mechwarrior 2 31st Centuary Combat. I started playing through all the expansions migrated to MW3 and MW4 all the way up to Mercs. I played online and Lead Clan Steel Viper for 5 + years in various leagues starting out with MW2:Mercs and culminating in MW4:Mercs. Does MWO compair to any of the previous Games..? NO it does Not. Some aspects of the game are a hell of a lot more Realistic, but it seriously lacks the Friendly MP aspects of the Previous Games. Campaigns aside, MWO barely makes the cut. All i can say about it is the Realism of Weapons fire.. Slug throwers are meant to travel slower. All AC's fire at Sub Sonic speads. Only the Gauss can throw a slug at Sonic speeds. Lasers fire Instantaneously and can hit as they are Coherent light and thus travel at the speed of light. PPC's are not as fast as Lasers and nor should they be as fast as Gause Slugs. PPC do not fire at Sonic speeds as they are essentially Ball Lightning cannons. Ball lightning does not move fast at all it is essentially a charge plasma ball. although it should travel faster than an AC slug. If your target is a over several hundred meters away then you need to lead shoot with most weapons except lasers. the same would be for a hunter shooting a moving target at a range of 500 meters. The hunter needs to shoot ahead of the target and not at the target. The further the distance from the target the greater the lead. In MW2:mers MP this was called LAG shooting, and it took a lot of skill to master. Another thing i do not like is Hard Points for weapons. However i do understand the need for it to bring more balance to the game. I will continue playing the game untill release but if they do not do more with it and just leave it in its current Format of Random Drops and no actual storyline behind it, then i will likely not play the game when it is officially released. PGI has a lot of oportunity to improve this game and make it better, Inclusion of RPG elements would not go astray, allowing players to play as a House unit, Clan Unit or Merc Unit. As well as Solaris, bring in Solaris Championships and stream the matches live and replays on a Social Networking site or their own website and an entire new Sport could arrise out of it. Just think of it.. Pay Per View Live Solaris Championship Tournaments.. Even open a betting line.. But that will likely lead to corruption... :).. So much can be done to take MWO beyond the current Random drop and go format to a more interactive format in line with the story of Battletech. The opions are endless, but one has to wonder if the game developers have the Stones to make this the Best damn MW game. I think less bitching and more support in the way of bug reports, suggestions etc will go a long way to making the game better. After all that is what an open Beta is for. And Yes Game play can significantly change between open Beta and Final release. Personally i would like to see the Return of the Unseen Mechs, ie the Shadow Hawk, Pheonix Hawk, Marauder and Marauder IIC, Warhammer and Warhammer IIC, Orion as well as Aerospace Fighters and Even Dropships and Jump Ships. Harmony Gold may have the license in the USA for those mechs But Fine if the player is in the USA they can not see these mechs, Why should the rest of the world suffer, HG influence is only in USA.
#18 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

Man put more paragraphis in your post dude hard to read.

I do agree for the most part, however this is as far as I know is how the game is going to be for a long long time.

Personally I want a sp game not another mp game. I'm tired of mp only games I want a great story and a lot of features and gameplay options.  Basically I want what the reveal trailer showed but we are never gonna get that from these guys.

I'm pretty good at the game due to the amount of time invested in it, but...it's not really worth it.  Hell they never really seem to understand there own game!  The community everyday gives solid info on how the game should be doing how much damage a weapon should do, but they never really listen.

#19 Posted by Bendinux (2 posts) -
I'm a long date fan of MW/Batlletech and I must agree with the OP. Game still needs A LOT of work to be interesting. PGI/Pirhana game should not have taken the franchise, they're not up to it, but too late now. Also it's a shame to see so much advertisment when you login, really make you feel they're just trying to get $ with a game excuse. Let's hope they'll work fast and well to give DEPHT to the game, as it's just a team death match now. Battletech universe is pretty dense so they have no excuse. And correct all the bug while maintaining a good balance for the gameplay. Best thing would be for MWO to be purchased by a more veteran company (xcept EA, they'll screw it).
#20 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

I think it's just plane screwed period.  No one else is interested in the series, it's just not in enough demand, no casual gamer is gonna have fun with the steep learning curve, which I happen to like but then again I've played these games since like elementary school, I'm 25 now.

Even with some of the things they have been patching this game wont really last till this holiday season when people are getting into the next gen consoles which I'm starting to back away from, I'm gonna get the ps4, however I dont see any must have games that I just gotta get I mine as well wait till it's got a few more really awesome games for it.  Watch dogs only thing I'd probably be interested in as I didn't like the last couple of killzone games...well any of them really they just cant compare to Halo but even that series has gone downhill since the first game.

Anyways...this game just needs to die, and let one of the big developers take it, one with a big enough team to get it done and do it right.  I'm tired of this beta bs it's no longer a valid excuse they are using this as their game right now, I would agree if they had a temp beta going and then would just patch it up and release the whole thing but this feels like they released an unfinished game and expect people to pay out the ass for all of their crap.  

It's shocking how much money fans are putting in the game...free to play my ass.

#21 Posted by andotaco86 (1 posts) -
MWO is bad because of the super nerd mouth breathing community that is more worried about weapon values staying the same as table top rather than pushing for a balanced game. The reality is that the Battletech (not mechwarrior) fans are the worst of the worst when it comes to gaming. Super argumentative, narrow minded, baddies, that put lore before gameplay. Blithering idiots I tell ya!
#22 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

yeah I'm pretty much done with this game. It's just not fun, I keep trying even though I do get decent kdr it's still just not satisfying.  I dont care about the current timeline they are using for the mechs available. Just put them all in, there is no official story line, it's just mechs fighting each other, so why limit gameplay and mech options? Why even charge for it?  This is the only ftp game I've ever actually spent money on and regret it.  I no longer will be funding this game, it's not worth it.  

Once the next gen consoles arrive I doubt this will be around.  

#23 Posted by mudslinger777 (1 posts) -
Why is it that most people don't reread their posts for spelling and grammatical errors? I guess some folks don't mind looking like they just fell off the short bus... Oh, and before I forget, stop already with the sentences that begin with the word "so". And one more thing, here are a bunch of words and phrases to omit from your vocabulary; "like", "you know", "know what I mean?", "Um", and a whole crap load more. Getting down off my soap box now.
#24 Posted by Dahkoht (1 posts) -
It's an online multiplayer only simulation - loving it myself - thank god there's no story crap nor watered down aim assist or third person view. It's not made for those of you who want a lite shooter with a cute story - they never have hidden this fact. Some of you would bitch about a flight simulator being too hard and why can't the 747 do barrel rolls at take off.
#25 Posted by Indiandream (1 posts) -
I think it's a great game. I have to admit I AM a veteran of all previous mechwarrior games, but this one does play very differently. You have to be cautious and patient in Mechwarrior Online, or you will die. That's what I love about it: Two teams of mechs huddling down behind cover, flinging barrages of death across vast distances, while the sneakier players try to flank in behind and catch the enemy by surprise. It's very much the tactical squad game, not a place for lone wolves or gung ho beserkers. You need to learn to use cover: only poking your head around a corner long enough to get a couple of good shots in before retreating back to safety. No insta-kills: Battlemechs are powerful machines that take a lot of punishment, therefore it's essential to know the effective range of each weapon you carry, and to be accurate because a wasted shot could be the difference between life and death. As stated above it's a hard game with a hard learning curve, but very rewarding once you become a good player. If you are looking for a triggerhappy deathfest look elswhere. If you're like me (My favourite genre of games is actually RTS / RTT) the tactical nature of this game will suit you to a tee.
#26 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

It's clear too me you guys are either in denial or haven't been reading the news on the game...

3rd person is coming soon, and they have made an official release for this, but ti's gonna be the same as it essentially is now which is a paid alpha build that they are still charging money for if you want certain items.  It's not going to be complete they are simply adding a feature or 2 that they have been droning for months and months now and have shown nothing about it no pics or anything.

They want 80 bucks for some new mechs they are gonna release...everything is like dlc in this game and hate it.  Why must everything have a steep charge for it?

I prefer the story arcs in the earlier series, loved setting up a team of alies and blowing up tanks, turrets, buildings pretty much everything.

They pretty much said there will be no destructable environments so that also takes away from what I was hoping in the series.

This game is no where near as fun as the others. I still play it on and off but everytime I do some other bug comes up, now you cant even hardly go up slight inclines it simply wont let you, even if you have jump jets which I dont even bother with in this game as the whole poptartting thing is dumb.

I think an awesome mechwarrior game could be made on the next gen consoles using the cockpit view using the new frostbite game engin, but seriously doubt we will see another mech game from this franchise for a long time if ever.

This team just too small to deliver on all the promises they made when they announced it, the trailer made me gap in awe at what I would supposedly be able to do, but then things went bad for them, they lost a lot of their original vision.  THis is a poor version of what they originally promised.

#27 Posted by slumpywpg1 (1 posts) -

It's clear too me you guys are either in denial or haven't been reading the news on the game...

3rd person is coming soon, and they have made an official release for this, but ti's gonna be the same as it essentially is now which is a paid alpha build that they are still charging money for if you want certain items.  It's not going to be complete they are simply adding a feature or 2 that they have been droning for months and months now and have shown nothing about it no pics or anything.

They want 80 bucks for some new mechs they are gonna release...everything is like dlc in this game and hate it.  Why must everything have a steep charge for it?

I prefer the story arcs in the earlier series, loved setting up a team of alies and blowing up tanks, turrets, buildings pretty much everything.

They pretty much said there will be no destructable environments so that also takes away from what I was hoping in the series.

This game is no where near as fun as the others. I still play it on and off but everytime I do some other bug comes up, now you cant even hardly go up slight inclines it simply wont let you, even if you have jump jets which I dont even bother with in this game as the whole poptartting thing is dumb.

I think an awesome mechwarrior game could be made on the next gen consoles using the cockpit view using the new frostbite game engin, but seriously doubt we will see another mech game from this franchise for a long time if ever.

This team just too small to deliver on all the promises they made when they announced it, the trailer made me gap in awe at what I would supposedly be able to do, but then things went bad for them, they lost a lot of their original vision.  THis is a poor version of what they originally promised.

davidsworld3
First of all, if you like consoles so much, go play on one. They are terrible. Inferior. And always will be. Secondly, Mechwarrior would be GARBAGE on console. There have already been console versions (mechassault) and they were terrible. No. Just no. You're angry because you're bad. Consoles is where you belong. GO back to them and stop infecting this forum with your special brand of stupid. But I agree MWO is horrible. In almost every conceivable way.
#28 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

You are an idiot.  Mechwarrior is possible on a console, I take it you never actually ever played chrome hounds, an amazing mech game that puts this piece of crap to shame, but due to sega being lazy they never patched a critical glitch that people quickly used to ruin the game.

I am actually an avid pc user, I have a high tech gaming rig that I got by actually having a career unlike you who probably flips burgers at a mall somewhere.

Mechassault was actually reviewed pretty well and had potential all they had to do was put in a cockpit view and it coud have been pretty cool especially since so far graphically mechassault is the best looking mechwarrior game to date.

#29 Posted by Muhvi (1 posts) -
"They want 80 bucks for some new mechs they are gonna release...everything is like dlc in this game and hate it. Why must everything have a steep charge for it?" Yeah, the 80 bucks are for the special models with +x% credit earning. You get the normal versions too but the normal versions of the mechs are available to all players. You've gotta make money with F2P game somehow? I think this is perfectly valid way and very common. Check other similar games, world of tanks for example, the situation is quite similar. None requires you to spend any money. You can have all the normal versions of the mechs without paying any money. Only restriction is garage space and that doesn't cost much or you can just sell mechs you dont use and keep few that you do like. "I prefer the story arcs in the earlier series, loved setting up a team of alies and blowing up tanks, turrets, buildings pretty much everything." Yes, this is not game that was done to your preference, we get it. It doesn't make the game bad, it just means that you are waiting for another game with totally different focus. Mechwarrior online is world of tanks type game with Mechs. That is the genre of the game. I think the game is starting to be in good shape and most bugs have been removed. The greatest challenge now is to get the balance right so there is enough variaty in games and not only one good tactic. I think they have improved on this issue as well. The new heat rules were good call.
#30 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

It's not for evertyone and well not for me either, I haven't had the inkling to play it for quite some time now.

Sure you dont have to pay for them, but not everyone wants to spend hours and hours grinding over getting a mech that plays the exact same as all the rest do.  It's a huge time waster, with no objectives other than mostly just capturing the sad excuse of a base it's just boring doing this over and over again.

I disagree with the price being fair.  They have made quite a bit of money on this, I think it's time they drop the down a bit.

Balancing is hardly any better than it has been for several months, they always screw something else up that makes the game just as unbalanced if not more so.  The heat management does not seem to be the liking of a lot of people.

Overall you either hate the game or you love it. I liked it for a time but I'm just bored of it, and frankly I prefer sites like ign or gamespot when discussing the game and this board is dead, I'm the only one that actually participates, replies, or makes new topics on this.  I know it's almost all negative but this game isn't very good compared to the story arc games, those had a lot more to enjoy.

Another factor is really I hate free to play games, too me it's gonna hurt gaming in general, I dont want to spend hundreds of hours playing the same match over and over, chrome hounds had an exellent idea that simply needed to be expanded, that game was a lot more fun, yet very similar at the same time, I love the customization, and the way you have to work as a team and people wanted to, otherwise you get beaten every time, it brought people closer together as a community.  For me that game was proof that a mech game can be done great on a console, I wish they would have at least tried to see how this game would have handled on it. It's not using an engine that would have stretched the 360 too it's limites not even close.

I'm too diverse of a gamer to just settle on one game for months, I like to play many different types of games.  This one just doesn't give me enough to keep me hooked for too long.

I do appreciate the response though thanks.

#31 Posted by Impulse119 (5 posts) -
Turn back! Abandon all hope, all ye who wander to MWO. Train wreck of stinky poo poo lie ahead!
#32 Posted by kargion (430 posts) -

Have to disagree, played it first time last night, loved every part of it.

#33 Posted by KingCobrax99 (1 posts) -
First I will tell you I have played PC MechWarrior since MechWarrior2 online 1995 before that I played Mechwarrior1,TT,and a huge BattleTech and mecha fan. I have been with MWO at the first of closed beta I will tell you the positive things first if you decide to try and play the game #1 is the Mechs graphics and designs are very good. #2 The maps are also very good and the graphics outstanding. That's about all the positive things I have to say about MWO there The MechWarrior part ends and the World Of Tanks/Call Of Duty starts there is no real tutorial for new players but I hear after 2 years one is coming. The grind for XP\Cbills is terrible I never imagined a MechWarrior game based off of a grinding for items the gameplay soon becomes monotonous match after match of the same type of gameplay to upgrade your mechs with items half do not work or they make the game balance in favor of the most outfitted mechs. Also the gameplay is very short the weapons far overpower the armor or electronic counter measures so in a typical battle you might last 1-2 minutes tops.In the old MechWarrior games the type of Matchmaking mode MWO has was called FFA which = Free For All which is a game mode where there are no real objectives per match just point and shoot. Many of us have tried to work with PGI and MWO to make it a true MechWarrior game but they wont listen instead they have used and abused the fans and players of this once great IP for profit and in return have not provided the content to support all the money they have received. I see this type of money raping going on in the game industry more and more these days it is sad to see many of the older great game IP,s being sold as AAA titles to players and fans in a beta format and not delivering the content. Is this another Duke Nukum a game going down in flames because of the developers unwillingness to listen to there forum players and fans? As a conclusion if PGI had first made a character creator and BattleTech/MechWarrior world fans and players could have immersed them self's in then a decent tutorial with AI help then tutorial missions solo or co-op to learn the game it would have been great. Also there is no live chat lobby's and private matches or leagues like the older MechWarrior games had which was a big part of MechWarrior and made the community grow and retain more players. So MWO to me is just not MechWarrior and until they rebuild the game or another company comes along to remake what the older games were like I will just not play or support PGI or MWO. http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4715591746847759&pid=1.7
#34 Posted by GtWthTheProgram (2 posts) -

The game definitely puts new players through a grinder.  Why they wanted to court casuals at all when the game basically demands that only the hardcore need apply is beyond me.

#35 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

kingcobra for F's sake sue paragraphs I refuse to read a wall of text will just give me an eye sore.

At least a few people on here bother to make a comment good or bad anything is better than nothing.

I'm harsh because I expect a lot in a game these days, these guys have been making games long enough now, I expect them to be able to do it right, I expect a lot out of myself I push myself very hard to make the kind of money I do everyday, so I think it's fair that when you are expected to pay criminal rates for a stupid color or dice on your mech cockpit I expect the game to run great, but it doesn't.  Huge amount of bug issues that will never make this game a worthy title of the name mechwarrior, the maps are stupid boring, there is no destructive environments which was something they made a point of showing off in their reveal trailer.  It's all a bunch of bs, this game is a poor version of what we were originally promised.

If you want to delude yourself and just accept it thats your loss, I however am fed up with waiting for a truly great mechwarrior game that shows off just what our tech today can do.

#36 Posted by Karpundir (0 posts) -
I have been playing this game CONSISTENTLY since closed beta 14 months ago. What makes it truly fun is the community. Playing the game solo doesn't even come close to comparing with the experience of playing in coordinated matches with other players. The best place to get started is in this public TeamSpeak server: na1.mech-connect.net I urge all those interested in the game to drop by tomorrow evening (Tuesday Sept. 17th) to participate in this community driven launch event. We will also be hosting training channels to help with mech piloting and building. While I do love the genre, I have never been captivated by a PvP game or MMO to this level ever! Not even a previous MechWarrior franchise. The reason why? It strikes a nice balance between FPS and Sim in that you can customize your Mechs, play with skill and strategy, out-think opponents (yes, all real life opponents), and there is a steady stream of new content and weapon balance changes as time goes. The game is not perfect, but the developers are on track to deliver loads of new content and Community Warfare (the official product's endgame) is not too far away. In the meantime, hardcore and semi-hardcore players have player run leagues to satisfy their competitive urges. Don't listen to the hate. Experience it for yourself.
#37 Posted by coorta (11 posts) -

Since looking at this "Karpundir" person's profile and finding he/she has only been a member of this site since yesterday, I would call shenanigans on this post. Sounds like someone from the creators of Mechwarrior Online trying to plug the game to make it sound like it is better than it actually is.

#38 Posted by midnightdragonx (0 posts) -
"Personally i would like to see the Return of the Unseen Mechs, ie the Shadow Hawk, Pheonix Hawk, Marauder and Marauder IIC, Warhammer and Warhammer IIC, Orion as well as Aerospace Fighters and Even Dropships and Jump Ships." So you want to see teh whole reason that Mechwarrior Five never came out? You do realize the company was sued for every mentioned mech in yoru list, right? lol. That happens when you try to claim yourself as the creator of a Mech, when you borrow it from other places, such as Robotech.
#39 Posted by midnightdragonx (0 posts) -
[QUOTE="Karpundir"]I have been playing this game CONSISTENTLY since closed beta 14 months ago. What makes it truly fun is the community. Playing the game solo doesn't even come close to comparing with the experience of playing in coordinated matches with other players. The best place to get started is in this public TeamSpeak server: na1.mech-connect.net I urge all those interested in the game to drop by tomorrow evening (Tuesday Sept. 17th) to participate in this community driven launch event. We will also be hosting training channels to help with mech piloting and building. While I do love the genre, I have never been captivated by a PvP game or MMO to this level ever! Not even a previous MechWarrior franchise. The reason why? It strikes a nice balance between FPS and Sim in that you can customize your Mechs, play with skill and strategy, out-think opponents (yes, all real life opponents), and there is a steady stream of new content and weapon balance changes as time goes. The game is not perfect, but the developers are on track to deliver loads of new content and Community Warfare (the official product's endgame) is not too far away. In the meantime, hardcore and semi-hardcore players have player run leagues to satisfy their competitive urges. Don't listen to the hate. Experience it for yourself.

100% pay to win. The configuration and layout of the Mechs that are "free" are complete crap, and basically make it so you are forced to set up a mech with very visible weakness, such as only being able to store ammo and heat sinks on certain areas of the Mech. That and the fact the weapons have specific hardpoint locations that suck as well. Its not a matter of hate, the game is just crap. The layout is completely ad based, and looks like somone cut out tons of magazine adds and tossed a "pplay" button over the top of it. The Pilot skills require you to not only grind a rediculous amount of levels with ONE mech, but also force you to buy all of the other Mech configurations of that particular Mech, and max ALL of their points. In other words, if you max out one mech configuration's skills, you need to do it on EVERY CONFIGURATION CHASSIS?! There is only Death Match and death match....thats it. No diversity, and only about twelve types of Mechs. They dont even have much diversity in weaponry, and as much as the emphasize "Clan" in Mechwarrior universe, they have no Clan gear in MWO. The game IS crap, and guess what, I didnt even do a single drop. Nope. I havent even played it. I installed it, found it to be massively insulting that any decent configuration on a mech was pay to win, looked around, and thought the game was ass, to which I can assure you it is, then deleted it. Again its not a matter of hate, its just a lie filled, pay to do anything, waste of time grinding, twelve mech wannabe Mechwarrior game filled with spam and adds.
#40 Posted by realghostwolfe (0 posts) -
I've played Battletech since it was called "battledroids". Decades I've been a fan I want for MWO to succeed. However that said the truth is that the launch for this game was just pathetic. The game itself is a nice shooter, however it has no depth. The matches are totally random since there is to date still NO matchmaking lobby. Community warfare, something that follows the typical warfare between the various great houses, to date has not even been tested. The game has no soul, it's just a typical active shooter from the late 90's. Also it seems pretty clear that while the game is free to play that more and more of the Devs time is being spent on creating things that require real money. That time could be better spent completing the game and rounding it out but that would not make them money. For a free to play game, it's worth a try. However once you see that you have to spend cash to get better gear and also add in how stale the games get (same old fights/tactics/results) you'll shelve the game and move on. So far many dedicated players are just hoping, hoping mind you, that things get better but after two years in beta it seems that progress is extremely slow with the Devs.
#41 Posted by Modo44 (2 posts) -

Having played MWO since spring this year, I'd say they released it too soon. It is great for BattleTech fans, but has a steep learning curve and various issues. It looks like it will get where IGP/PGI wanted it to be, but in another quarter or half a year. Of course, all of the important improvements have been coming Soon(TM) for a while, so take the official propaganda with a grain of sand. The worst case scenario looks like another full year of development for a really solid product.

#42 Posted by doktron (252 posts) -

1st of all the game has been in beta for over a yr. and only (sort of)really launched the official game on sept.17,2013. 2nd of all the game is not easy and requires a lot of learning.I played about 70 games before I registered my 1st kill(and I played all the old mechwarrior games).If u expect to jump into this game and immediatly become a badass, dont even bother(go play GTAV). it is a team game, and your not going to be able to run around and be the lone hero.Also,The MWO game community is also very helpful when it comes to new players and generally will help u out if u ask.It takes time and practice to become good in this game.If u bother to stick around,and learn the nuances of piloting a battlemech,the game can be quite enjoyable.As far as the maps go, they are random,and maybe u were unlucky to have jumped into more night maps than usual.Eventually there will be more maps,bigger maps, and I believe planets to invade.Ive been playing this game for almost a yr. and I quite enjoy it(theres nothing better in gaming than taking down a 100 ton atlas in your 50 ton hunchback)

#43 Posted by DerekLee688 (459 posts) -

Games should be fun and easy to pick up and play. That doesn't mean an atlas in one day or less, but after a year of beta and all these options to spend my real money, I expect a real game. This is just PVP to fund more PVP. I want story! I want vehicles and infantry to stomp, and I don't care if they are bots! Have they even began working on computer AI?

Right now it's poorly balanced pvp where the actual mechanics of weapons mean nothing because they nerf or buff whatever weapons as they see fit like it's a WoW class ability etc. However, the draw of the Battletech means that weapons do the same no matter what mech you put them on. 100 ton mech with nothing but missiles? = Got to nerf missiles to hurt that build, but that means that missiles are useless to any mech that isn't fully loaded with missiles. Because this is a PVP game first, they are constantly spending time balanceing pvp crap and doesn't look like they are putting in pve any time soon.

Booo!!! Speed this poo up! Spend the money you're collecting on more developers! Right now it feels like Beta-test-warrior.

#44 Posted by tar1901 (135 posts) -

Well, they kind screwed it. Unless you're a hardcore Mechwarrior fan, this game is bad. It doesn't even compare to mechwarrior 3 and 4. Too bad because the MechWarrior universe has a lot of potential and this game is basicaly a PvP arena game, poor way to look at the battlefield, poor way of detecting the enemys on the battlefield.

It's not going to end up well for them especially since there are a lot of other free to play games out there that provide the same experienced.

#45 Posted by NotBob (6 posts) -

@DerekLee688 said:

Games should be fun and easy to pick up and play. That doesn't mean an atlas in one day or less, but after a year of beta and all these options to spend my real money, I expect a real game. This is just PVP to fund more PVP. I want story! I want vehicles and infantry to stomp, and I don't care if they are bots! Have they even began working on computer AI?

Right now it's poorly balanced pvp where the actual mechanics of weapons mean nothing because they nerf or buff whatever weapons as they see fit like it's a WoW class ability etc. However, the draw of the Battletech means that weapons do the same no matter what mech you put them on. 100 ton mech with nothing but missiles? = Got to nerf missiles to hurt that build, but that means that missiles are useless to any mech that isn't fully loaded with missiles. Because this is a PVP game first, they are constantly spending time balanceing pvp crap and doesn't look like they are putting in pve any time soon.

Booo!!! Speed this poo up! Spend the money you're collecting on more developers! Right now it feels like Beta-test-warrior.

I created an account just so I can participate in this conversation.

First off to throw cred out here. I have been a closed Beta player for awhile. I ended up with a founders package, so you can see my name in the credits if you wanted too. I have put real money in to the game to see this IP fully developed and have had a blast. I have flushed a lot more money then I have spent on this game down the tubes for crappy AAA titles, Star Wars: The Old Republic ring a bell.

For all your naysayers about the game cause they want this or that or what not in the game. Are you the developer? Have you given money to the system, which is using crowd sourcing / F2P system to fund the development? If not, shut the hell up you have nothing to say other than whine about the game you want that you have not added anything. Before you say, well they are never getting my money, so be it. If you want that type of game, create a company, buy the rights for the IP, and create the game. If you cannot do that, then shitting on a game that never promised a PVE experience cause you want a PVE experience shows the lack of mental capacity that you have. If you want a PVE experience wait until one is made for you or make it yourself. That is like going to a Chinese restaurant and then getting pissed because they dont have Chicken Parmesan on the menu.

As for the initial review going back 8 months till now. It was in beta and has been in beta for awhile. A closed beta, then open, and a launch that happened on Sept 27th.

The game is a PVP Only, as it was fully intended to be, game that is F2P. If you never ever pay them real money, you can configure a mech that is competitive. Currently in game there isn't a pay to win function like in other F2P PVP games. There is no gold ammo, there is not super duper awesome weapon that you get because you gave them cash. Even the cool shot (reduces heat), artillery strikes, air strikes, can all be bought with in game currency. If you use the MC (mech credits) in to get those things, the coolant flush cools you a touch more or the artillery strike lands a touch faster. Not to critical of a difference. As for the other items in game that are being charged real money, that is all vanity stuff. Like camo, medals, dashboard figures, and such. They are charging for mechs. The hero mechs come with a bonus in earning C-Bills, the in game currency. They are just another variant of a class. They come with a special paint scheme, and a slight reconfiguration of weapons hardpoints. Even then, the reconfiguration is not that special as it doesnt change much. You can compare them yourselves, but honestly there isnt much difference between the Highlander Heavy Metal Mech (Hero Mech) and the other Highlander Variants, other than the pink camo and speakers that play every time you kill someone.

As for the bugs that have been mentioned. When the initial review happened it was still in closed beta I believe. Meaning, holy shit buggy. Honestly, there were issues and that is why it was closed beta. When it went open beta a lot of those issues were resolved. That latency was reduced and so was lag times. Unfortunately not all latency is on the game producer with servers. If you have a shitty connection, you might end up having lag. Upgrade your connection. Not the games fault at all. If you have a shitty computer, fix your computer and stop blaming the game. I see people in the game occasionally with a 700 ping. Who's fault is that? Not the game company. It is your connection. Get a better one or talk to your ISP cause they are causing the issue.

As for other complaints dealing with weapon balance. Yep... most games spend a lot of time doing weapon balance, class balance, and such. Look at WoW, BF3, CoD, StarCraft, etc, every other patch they change something on how fast a spell activates, the damage, the items so and so. They are constantly tweaking the game, which is a good thing. If you don't see that you are ignorant anyway. That means they are actively involved and trying to make the game fun and fair for everyone. Derek's example of the LRM missile boats (What they are called in game) is a prime example of tweaking. LRMs used to be stupid dangerous, reason why is that they only hit one spot. They were dealing with coding issues on that, so it need to be fixed not nerfed. They got it fixed and now it spreads the damage like it should on a basic "radar" lock. If you want a tighter grouping you use TAG/Narc and then the missiles impact the spot more often. Prime example of a fix, not a nerf. Idiots that try to take advantage of the game for a bug and then get pissed that it was fixed are the reason so many games suck. Ah they nerfed my ridiculously over powered so and so... no bunghole they fixed it.

When I hear people complain about the hard points of weapons I have to laugh. The table top game does it. The Mechwarrior 4 game did it. Hell really the only one that never did it was MechWarrior 2.and 3, but there were limites in 3. In mech 2 you could put weapons wherever you wanted so you would actually build your mech in the mech editor with all torso points and the arms held all the internals like endo-steel, and such. Mechwariror 3 allowed you almost the same measure, but you had to deal with a couple of restrictions. MechWarrior 4, which I saw referenced bunch of times as the best game... which actually sucked so much ass, locked you into place on what you could do. Technically when Clan Mechs should have "Omni Points" in order to have a place whatever the hell you want in that space. Right now in MWO, we have innersphere technology. Based on the year this game is set in a lot of advanced tech has been lost and such. Like people literally dont know how to make these things or to replicate them, which is why salvaging a battlemech is stupid important in the lore.

Dealing with the complaints of the AC/20 is a subsonic round, PPC Ball of Lighting, Gauss Rifle, so on and so on. Please for the love of god link your cannon materials saying the speed of flight of each weapon and so on. Why do I say that? Well because you pulled that shit out of your ass to what you think it should be. I cannot find anything in tech manuals, game rules, or what not saying anything about the speeds of these weapons. Again, you arent developing the game so technically they can make the speeds however they want as long as in the rules of the IP agreement. On top of that, ballistic were broke for a long time on the physics, i.e. they didn't put it in yet. *Gasp* You mean the beta game didnt have all the features, say it aint so Joe! Well, that is now put in. You have to lead your target with the ballistic weapons. You have to aim higher for long range shots. Hell they even changed the way the gauss rifle fires. You actually have to charge the damn thing before you push a "ferrous nickel-iron alloy at extremely high velocities" Technical Readout: 3050, p. 216.

Where else can I go... oh yeah game types. There are currently two game types. That is Conquest and Assault. It used to only be assault, which is standard 12v12 death match with an objective of capture the base. Conquest introduced a territory system that you can to control to get resources. While those game types do not offer a whole bunch, we all have seen AAA titles come out with only one or two game types at first. The big thing were the maps. Again, triple AAA titles have had limited maps. BATTLEFIELD 3 for instance with 4 maps for conquest on release. They didnt have a bunch of them, so it was the same 4 maps. That is it. I can tell you, slugging through those same four maps so many times a day was rough. They have gotten much better by adding in new maps and helping things along nicely. Means you actually have to use tactics on the bigger maps like Terra Firma and others now. Soon there will be another game type, actual several as "Community Warfare" the much vaulted "Faction" game that people have been waiting for comes along. Which we are seeing initial parts coming out such as the ready button and forming of merc units.

As for the interface, I can honestly say it needs work. The home screen that comes up on initial load is your information screen. It tells you news of the game, sales on vanity items, information of double xp weekend, patch notes, etc. You move over to the mech bay tab and you never have to see any of that information again. Until initial load in again. I constantly stay on the mech lab screen to launch into battle and it comes right back to that screen when you get out. It is in a window though and you cannot go full screen until you launch the game. As stated it needs work, and that is happening. The project is called UI 2.0. Based on the devs response and explanation it was a coding choice and way of going about things that have limited how launcher / mech bay area worked. They have had to go back in and redesign how it functions on the back end and then changing the front it. They say they are almost ready to deploy the new way of doing things, so we will see how that happens.

Basically for the last 4 or 5 months there hasnt really been any forward movement in the game other than a few maps and a few mechs added to the game as there have been three "big" projects happening. They deal specifically with Community Warfare, UI 2.0, and The Phoenix project. If you are a BattleTech person you know what that means. It is simple, we are going to start seeing some of the unseen mechs that have been licensed! Woot Woot! In this one packed they are introducing 6 new mechs with all the variants to go with it. If precedence serves it is 4 variants and a hero mech. which if you can do math means 5 different versions of the same mech. That is a lot of work to get all that stuff together so there hasn't been leaps and bounds to the overall state of the game. Since we are talking about that, honestly I wouldn't have launched it if I was them for another 6 months or at least until I got the community warfare aspect setup.

To some up all this nonesense. Good game, if you are missing a big mech game that is PVP. They have still a lot of features to get added to the game and a lot of refinement to go. Yet with that said for the actual release, they have a stable game that has a lot of choices on the mechs and maps with half the fun being tweaking the mech of your choice to your playstyle. Can it be better? Of course it can. Well it get better, well time will tell. I give it a 7 out of 10 in its current configuration if it was a pay to play game. Since it is a Free to Play game, I am going to give it a 8/10 simply cause you can pick it up and see if you like it. If you dont, you can drop it and move on. You can always come back and test it out at a later date.

Well, there it is. That is all I have to say which is a lot. See you in game... and if not I am totally fine with not seeing you. In the mean time, my mech techs will be getting my stead ready for battle and having a blast doing it.

#46 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

Finally a thread with people who see the game as I do. I will say this I've put too much cash into this game. It wasn't worth it. The game has it's fun moments, in fact I love using the new champion spider makes the game easy and fun, but AI agree with everyone. This game sucks! No story, lack luster mechs, terrible balancing, this is a released game now and it's no different still only has 2 game modes and they are exactly the same. This game is a pretty pathetic image of the next gen mechwarrior franchise. Honestly they should just scrap it all if they dont intend to ever do anything more than pvp. sure it's meant for that but it's not doing it very well. These devs have shown us that they really only care about money, they have no real love for the series, they know jack sh!t about the franchise if you look at their game more closely how the mechs are sized and balanced. The maps all suck too, none of them are that unique or interesting and all are very small when you think about the scale of any other game maps.

This series needs a new reboot but done right with the right team that can fund this game and get results.

#50 Edited by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

He is not wrong on any of it, blindly supporting a dev team that has failed to bring any of their promises to fruition is a major concern troll. This game is broken when it comes to...well almost everything. It's called a forum where people are free to discuss their views on a game. Telling him he is just wrong is stupid and offensive. Not like he is likely to ever come back too it anyways.

Now I do have fun and still play the game but...this is no longer beta but plays exactly the same no different. This game failed, and will eventually be forgotten, most people dont even know about it or care, it has no story, bad game mechanics, the visuals are pretty bland, no destruction, they took out core explosions that are cool and have a physical meaning, since well they are fusion reactors running that mech, but in this game they simply slowly fall down.

The weapons are all wrong in different ways though not all are bad, but still not very many to choose from, the price for the mechs are very high, grinding for a mech is no longer fun, no story, no narrative, no intro not this or that. It's a basic sim game.

as for notbob how about you try actually joining discussions instead of trolling a thread? I see uh 8 post by you, I been part of this site for many years. I have a life, more so than you I imagine, I have a high paying job, am married, but I also love games especially ones I grew up playing like this one, so yeah I think my thoughts count, I still play the game where I bet you dont. Yes I think the game has a lot to be desired and rightly so. Hell I think the mechassault game is more fun and better looking than this game.

Which is another point, I feel this series could use another console game BUT for it to be sim based a lot like how chrome hounds was. Mechassault though flawed still had a lot to enjoy, great graphics, lots of destruction had the mechs everyone loved, but yes was an arcade game, now imagine a next gen title with mechwarrior on it's title with a full story, great mp mode and we got a great mechwarrior game again. Bob you are a sad sad gamer considering all you have done is troll, you are confusing my rage for just blind hate for the game when I have supported it in the past and have put real money and time into it so go F yourself buddy, who probably works at walmart.

bob making an account just to troll someone is a good way of getting a ban and hope you do, you did not help with the topic and you only will cause problems. Since you never thought to make an account to participate in discussions with games you like or dont like just gtfo out stay out.