you die too much = Extra pain killers?

#1 Posted by pioyugb (3 posts) -
Something Ive kind of stumbled onto. if you die too much in a part of the game they seem to start you off from that checkpoint with 1 extra painkiller than you had. Well initially this was just one but now im noticing theyre starting me with 4 painkillers. I feel like there must be some hidden standard that im not living upto. I mean Max is more fragile than he used to be. Whats the most extra painkillers youve recieved and in what part chapter did you recieve them in?
#2 Posted by pioyugb (3 posts) -
now its 5
#3 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

ya i dont like how easy and how often you die had to take a break from it. Im just gonnaplay the first 2 games for now.

#4 Posted by dipset_hobo (108 posts) -
Yea I think they award you an extra painkiller for when you get stuck on a certain part of a level for too long. I for one love the difficulty. Games are supposed to be hard.
#5 Posted by Vozlov (1508 posts) -

I don't get where everyone is getting this 'it's too hard, especially compared to the first two'.

Firstly, it's a challenge, it's suppossed to be. Secondly, the first two were REALLY difficult on harder levels. Lastly, they were made 10 years ago.

#6 Posted by -Carge- (1030 posts) -
While I appreciate the challenge... *spoilers* The hangar fight against becker is stupidly unfair, it doesn't matter how many painkillers the game gives you, he 1 shots you with the nade launcher anyway
#7 Posted by -Carge- (1030 posts) -
While I appreciate the challenge... *spoilers* The hangar fight against becker is stupidly unfair, it doesn't matter how many painkillers the game gives you, he 1 shots you with the nade launcher anyway
#8 Posted by Chronospherics (29 posts) -
Yeah they throw up to 5 painkillers at you. Seems silly really. Some parts of the game are pretty much unbeatable on 1 painkiller. There are certain enemies on the higher difficulties that will consistently one shot kill you. So what you'll find people doing is dying several times just so they can get some painkillers and proceed when they actually have a chance. There really aren't enough painkillers in the environment. There seems to be one or less per checkpoint. So it's not that surprising that I end up with 0 a fair amount of the time, then I get to something tricky and I'm forced to die several times.
#9 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

I like how in the first 2 games you find pain killers, most days you get a certain amount from the start I like how games did it 10 years ago. I just cant get into this game, and frankly it looks exactly like gta4 and gets boring for me. Wish they would try a different graphics engine or something better everything looks the same too me.

#10 Posted by rigzzsy (349 posts) -

I found tons of painkillers during the levels, but I have to agree with carge the last bit is ridiculous

#11 Posted by blastmaster2k2 (382 posts) -

You have to search for the pain killers, there are a lot of them on most levels, they're hidden though. They were on the first 2, so what's the problem, you were willing to look for them before but not now, that's the game's fault? I do agree with the very last part being way too hard, I don't think  you could possibly beat that part without pain killers. lol

#12 Posted by blastmaster2k2 (382 posts) -

You have to search for the pain killers, there are a lot of them on most levels, they're hidden though. They were on the first 2, so what's the problem, you were willing to look for them before but not now, that's the game's fault? I do agree with the very last part being way too hard, I don't think  you could possibly beat that part without pain killers. lol

#13 Posted by blastmaster2k2 (382 posts) -

#14 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

ya i dont like how easy and how often you die had to take a break from it. Im just gonnaplay the first 2 games for now.davidsworld3

Anyone saying that whom is familiar with shooters seriously needs to work on their tactics. The game gives you several tools and ways with which to dispatch enemies. Sometimes the most counter intuitive ones work best. I've played through on each dificulty level from Easy on up through hardcore. Despite Easy seeming harder than it should be at first, I have for the most part improved my outcome in most every part of the game each run through.

There are sections that were harder for me than I expected on Hard that I got through literally without damage on Hardcore. You don't even really need to accumulate bullet time either, although shooting without it builds it up fast if you feel you need it. That can often be done fairly easily by crouching behind a corner and/or low object to shoot distant or spawning enemies in doorway and hallway choke points.

Chaining shoot dodges together aimed back and forth from one cover spot to another is very effective. Sometimes just one shoot dodge dive to a good cover spot to start a battle is a huge advantage. In some places merely going prone allows you to kill all enemies without them even being able to see you (outer walkway of the ship at Panama).

The game offers challenge for sure, but within lies many ways for the player to overcome them. Once you know those ways it becomes a much more enjoyable experience. I'll gladly offer tips for any part of the game some might be struggling with, and without mocking. I fully understand the frustrations that can come about in such games, but trust me, they will disolve once you master a few simple tricks.

#15 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

More details, sorry, forgot to add them. Anyone that can get through the bold baggage room entrance Max makes at the airport with the limited ammo and painkillers they start you out with can get through the last fight against Becker. On Easy up through Hard I was just shooting from behind cover, once in a while getting up to dive to another spot once the luggage was blown off. On Hardcore for the first time I chained sideways shoot dodges together, quickly tapping Q after landing, which snaps you to coer to do another dodge. Maybe some aren't aware, but you can do a shoot dodge while snapped to cover, so you take no damage at all. As a result I did not suffer one single cart explosion, which brings up another point. It is not Becker that explodes the carts. That only happens if you don't shoot the grenade he launches at the start of that battle. The other explosives are grenades thrown by enemies standing near him.

Like I said above, the game is not as hard as it seems once you explore all the tactics available to you. This play through on Hardcore I got through some areas literally with no damage that were actually fairly tough for me on Hard becasue I was using less effective tactics. Below are the areas I cleared with no damage.

The outer walkway of the ship at Panama I merely went prone back by the door you enter it from and was able to headshot all the guys on the docks without them even being able to shoot at tme. This spot was like a frantic quick pop and shoot or death run gauntlet for me until I discovered that method.

The lobby of the police station where they come out of the elevators and pop smoke I immediately shoot dodged through the control room window to the pillar in front of it and shot all but one or two of the 1st wave.  I then snapped to the pillar for cover and immediately did a shoot dodge to the left to take out those remaining, then snapped to the planter for cover. I then shoot dodged toward the second elevator to get a clear view of the 2nd wave and shot them before they were obscured by smoke. 

The pool terrace of the Imperial Palace hotel before going back inside I shot from behind cover, shoot dodged, then shot prone with bullet time to take out the ones by the pool. I then shoot dodged to the chase lounge to get the guys spawing out of the door to the far right in the next area. Then I went to the tall cover at the corner of the chain link fence and shoot dodged left to get the two guys in the small open area with tables. I then shoot dodge dove to closer cover, shot some enemies from cover, dove to another closer cover, and shot the last from cover.

The office of the police station where the guy in heavy armor comes after you clear the room I crouched and went through the double doors and shot one enemy, then retreated back through the double doors and took cover around the corner on the wall to the right of the doors. I shot more enemies as they came to investigate. One was left whom I shot crouched from around the then partially open doors. When the heavy armor guy spawned I was still safe back in that elevator landing area. I had plenty ammo in my RPD left and had built up lots of bullet time so I crouched behind the low counter and shot at the still partially open doors to lure hinm toward me. He went down pretty fast as I pummelled him in the head in bullet time through the partially open doors.