Would I like this game? Never played Max Payne before.

#1 Posted by Hebaphrenic (48 posts) -
Favorite games of the past: Resident Evil (All) Devil May Cry (All) Batman (Arkham City Prequal) Skyrim Fallout (3&Vegas) Call of Duty (Single Player) Borderlands Saints Row (All) Final Fantasy (All)
#2 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Favorite games of the past: Resident Evil (All) Devil May Cry (All) Batman (Arkham City Prequal) Skyrim Fallout (3&Vegas) Call of Duty (Single Player) Borderlands Saints Row (All) Final Fantasy (All)Hebaphrenic

On the one hand you list all RE games, which shows your willingness to adapt to game evolution and the different styles that entails, vs whining about it becoming a shooter like many do. On the other you don't really list any hardcore shooters, esp those that have similarities to Max Payne like FEAR, Mass Effect, and others where you have to deal with fairly adept AI while managing a slow mo system.

Max Payne is the series that brought slow mo off the silver screen and into gaming, but make no mistake about it, it's fairly hardcore, esp this one. It really depends how well you adapt to different types of shooter games and how well you expect to be able to do at it. Many have complained they don't like the game because they find it too hard even on the default difficulty level.

That said, if you're OK with the flashy onscreen effects and frequent, long, mostly unskippable cutscenes and are good at finding ways to beat games, the rest is just personal preference on the story and game styling really.

#3 Posted by Hebaphrenic (48 posts) -
Its funny that you mention mass effect seeing as ive only just started to play mass effect 2 yesterday and im finding it very fun. Thanks alot for your input in helping me decide whether to buy this game or not. Last question tho, obviously i have never played Max Payne 1 or 2. Will i be completely lost in the story? or does it not stem off of eachother?
#4 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Will i be completely lost in the story? or does it not stem off of eachother?Hebaphrenic

There's only minimal reminiscent narrative regarding characters Max encounters in the other two, and nothing detailed, so no, it's not really necessary to play the others.

That said, despite having a different and somewhat unrealted story, it would give you a better understanding of why Max turned out the way he did if you play the others first.

The others are also pretty good games and stand on their own merits. They also have a more novel-like narrative that many prefer.

#5 Posted by DrKill09 (6238 posts) -

Yes, but buy and play the first two first.

Just get them for pc or XBox1, cause the PS2 versions were ****.