Worth Getting?

#1 Posted by stupid4 (3695 posts) -

I want to get a game for the summer, and I'm wondering if this is the right choice. My favorites are games like Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and the Grand Theft Auto series. Would Max Payne 3 be up my alley? Thanks

#2 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -
Red Dead Redemption, and Grand Theft Auto IV, are two of my favourite games, and I think Max Payne 3 is better than both. The music, sound, voice acting, graphics, story, characters, gameplay, is all like Red Dead, and GTA on drugs. The story should take around 8-12 hours roughly, but its well worth replaying, for a few reasons. There is arcade modes, collectables, and mini achievements called grinds. As for the multiplayer, if you were any good at Red Dead Redemption, you should be excellent here. The online following is fairly large, and I have only come to one scenario where I could not find a game that I wanted to play. That could've been for two reasons, one because it was extremely early in the morning, where the only people I find online are from either Japan, or Australia. And the second would be that it was the first night the game was released, and the multiplayer playlist I was looking for you had to reach level 7 to unlock. The multiplayer is a mixture of call of duty, and Red Dead Redemption. Unlike call of duty, it isn't designed to be frustrating, its pretty well balanced, and I'd say if there are overpowered weapons (I've unlocked them all), they are just barely overpowered. There are a couple glitches here and there in multiplayer, one of which is where a player becomes invulnerable, and no one can kill them, this one isn't as bad as it sounds, because the player who is invulnerable also cannot kill anyone (but I'am pretty sure they can still bring your health down to just about nothing). The second glitch, which I'm not even sure you could describe as a glitch, is where if the host is lagging, (the game is PtoP host, like CoD) the ability to take or give damage happens at random. I'am currently level 45, and I have only run into these glitches no more than a handful of times (roughly 5). Above all if you play gangwars, the multiplayer is an absolute blast, I have yet to play a game that felt repetitive. I'll make this as short as possible, but there are 5 rounds, 4 of the 5 rounds determine advantages or disadvantages for the last round. Where the last round is always some form of team death match. For example, I have played in matches where my team almost never once went for any objectives, which for a Battlefield 3 player, was frustrating the first couple times it happened, but almost every time even with a massive disadvantage (16-20 point lead, if you lose all 4 rounds) my team would still win because we were simply better at killing. You also get 5 "prestiges" or "legends" whichever you want to call it, where once you level up to 50, you can start all over again, you earn a bonus character, and I'm not sure what else, being that I haven't done it yet. I found it fairly quick to level up, but my friends tell me I rank up far faster than any of them do.
#3 Posted by stupid4 (3695 posts) -

Interesting...thanks for the detailed response. As someone who has not played the first two games, will I feel lost in the story mode?

#4 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -

Interesting...thanks for the detailed response. As someone who has not played the first two games, will I feel lost in the story mode?

stupid4
The only thing you'll be missing is how and why his wife and child was murdered. The game does a good job of forging its own path. I personally do not recommend Max Payne 2, because its very similar to Max Payne 1, with nothing new, but with that said, if you can look passed the graphics, I'd recommend picking up Max Payne 1. Or at the very least, watch the story/cutscene only run throughs on youtube. Very entertaining to watch, but doesn't have the reward of actually playing through and finishing the game. Again, the only thing you are missing is how and why Max's wife and child were murdered. And you are welcome =)
#5 Posted by DevilD2005 (4899 posts) -

I have yet to play 3, but the first two games had alot of twists and turns that I got kinda lost, but that being said, it has a good track record of being pure grit and the intensity is added by the gameplay and epic shootouts.

#6 Posted by deohgee (78 posts) -

Multiplayer versions suck in all games.

Stick with Single Player.

Unless you can handle the cheaters and rude players and gliches.....Go ahead and play the multiplayer.

Just my opinion

#7 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -

Multiplayer versions suck in all games.

Stick with Single Player.

Unless you can handle the cheaters and rude players and gliches.....Go ahead and play the multiplayer.

Just my opinion

deohgee
I can't tell whether you are a troll, or you are being funny. Either way, I lol'd