Was anyone else surprised at the level of violence of this game?

#1 Posted by milsvaard (1864 posts) -

I've played the previous Max Payne games and all sorts of other violent games like Gears of War and the COD rip offs but the violence on this game to me was shocking. I suppose it has a lot to do with the current setting of the Max Payne 3 story. The cruelty of some of the main enemy caracters and perhaps the frailty of Max in the game might be responsible for my feeling. I just felt uneasy the entire game through. 

Also, I finished the game and I feel tired of it, a game that is constantly involved in shooting I found it dragged out in the last quarter of the story. 

Have not tried the MP, will do this afternoon.

#2 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

It's rated M, and have you not played the first game? Too me that was way more brutal, was dark gloomy, blood everywhere, screaming drug addicts, you got to use a baseball bat and other weapons, you hear your wife and baby child killed, they even show it...

Dude you must have a weak stomach I imagine you never have touched the first 3 silent hil games then lol.

I'm personally get sick of it not because of the violence it's not that extreme play gears of war, but the story doesn't interest me and I'm sick of the stupid blur and color effects. This is not a max payne game in my view. A great game but things I just cant get over about it.

#3 Posted by wwefanforlife (3247 posts) -

Not really since most Rockstar games are violent.

#4 Posted by Vozlov (1508 posts) -

The violence is not shocking at all. For me it's extremely immersive having bullets actually make giant holes in peoples heads.

Perhaps you shouldn't play violent computer games if they make you feel uneasy? Perhaps it was because it is fairly 'realistic' ain comparison to ripping grubs apart with a chainsaw from crotch to shoulder? Also, CoD is by no means violent in comparison to many forms of media violence, especially computer games.

#5 Posted by milsvaard (1864 posts) -

It's rated M, and have you not played the first game? Too me that was way more brutal, was dark gloomy, blood everywhere, screaming drug addicts, you got to use a baseball bat and other weapons, you hear your wife and baby child killed, they even show it...

Dude you must have a weak stomach I imagine you never have touched the first 3 silent hil games then lol.

I'm personally get sick of it not because of the violence it's not that extreme play gears of war, but the story doesn't interest me and I'm sick of the stupid blur and color effects. This is not a max payne game in my view. A great game but things I just cant get over about it.

davidsworld3
I loved Silent Hill 3, it's my favorite survival horror game. I guess what was shocking is that I live in a place similar to the setting of this game, so the violence was more realistic to me. Perhaps to other people, watching this is not connecting with their own reality. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game a lot and the first two games were great too, I played them on PC, but this one somehow seems more violent. I can see what you say of it not being a Max Payne game, Remedi had a formula that Rockstar didn't understand too well in my opinion. I think Alan Wake had a more Max Payne feel than this game (I know it's made by Remedi).
#6 Posted by patrick5152003 (1808 posts) -
i think its awesome and satisfying. fallout 3 is more graphic
#7 Posted by Buyugold (1074 posts) -

I sort of see where the original poster is coming from here, I have played all the gears and Fallout 3 and all that good stuff, but Max Payne 3 does an amazingly good job of making realistic effects in terms of ballistics, also the fact that shooting someone in the groin in this game meant they would most likely die was something that made me really respect Rockstar, realistically the groin is a place where you are trained to shoot following 2 shots to the chest as it is a large cluster of nerves and arteries. The ballistic effects of a head shot with the handguns in the game looks very realistic as well, I can see where it can be unsetteling in terms of the level of realism the violence in this game contains. And thats why Max Payne 3 is one of the best games Iv played recently

#8 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

I'v yet seen a game where they expect you to shoot the groin to get a kill...

I dont like the setting at all why I wont play this. Maybe sometime later but right now it's not that fun too me having fire fights in a max payne game in an open sunny enviroment.

Oh and tc great to hear you loved silent hill 3 is my personal favorite silent hill game due to the amazing attention to detail and in my opinion scariest out of the three. I hated downpour and in fact never even gotten half way before I gave it up, wont buy another silent hill ever again only team silent captured it.

#9 Posted by Neo_Sarevok (2976 posts) -

The level of violence in the first was the biggest. I mean for crying out loud...

(SPOILERS???)...

Max's own home is invaded by drug addicts, his baby and wife are shot in cold blood as Max hears their cries/screams as he ascends upstairs, he sees his baby's carriage tipped over with the baby shot dead (thank god the developers have the decency to cover the baby's corpse with the blanket!), and Max's wife is shot mere seconds from him arriving! He then helplessly cries over her dead body! Now point to me a scene in Max Payne 3 more violent than that!

#10 Posted by DonnellW706 (37 posts) -

What in the holy hell are you blathering on about? A Max Payne game that's gratitiously violent? No shiit.

Did you actually play the first game as you claim? Do you not recall what happened to Michelle and Rose?!

#11 Posted by plastik01 (282 posts) -

I think the whore house was more taboo than the violence ;)

#12 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -
Nah, I thought it was just as violent as any action movie. I mean, fallout is the only game I've played where I thought it was too violent, and thats only because it had no reason to be as violent as it was. A 9mm does not make someone's head explode. Constant blood gushing out, the limbs that detach at seemingly random places. At the same time, I've played Manhunt so many times, I love that game, and I don't think its too violent at all. It made me chuckle to think that you thought it was too violent, I can't help but wonder, did you know what you were buying? Do you know what company made it? Ever play Red Dead Redemption? As I said in the first sentence, there are plenty of movies that have done the same, or worse, the same can be said for video games.
#13 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

What surprised me is how much less smoothly this one plays vs previous MP titles, esp vs MP2. They hyped it up as having much more fluid movement and a much better look, but the movement is clumsy, the bullet time glitchy, and the screen is constantly cluttered with garish effects both in and out of cutscenes. They can't even give us clean picture quality while IN game for God's sake.

I guess it's not surprising. Back when the first two were made the PC version wasn't trreated as an after thought. Now a days everything is built around consoles.

#14 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

What surprised me is how much less smoothly this one plays vs previous MP titles, esp vs MP2. They hyped it up as having much more fluid movement and a much better look, but the movement is clumsy, the bullet time glitchy, and the screen is constantly cluttered with garish effects both in and out of cutscenes. They can't even give us clean picture quality while IN game for God's sake.

I guess it's not surprising. Back when the first two were made the PC version wasn't trreated as an after thought. Now a days everything is built around consoles.

#15 Posted by plastik01 (282 posts) -

what are you talking about?  the PC version was developed alongside the console version.  this game is not a port.  and I thought the randomish screen effects were done pretty well and give some atmosphere.

#16 Posted by Vortec33 (685 posts) -

Frag_Maniac

Complete and utter bs. 1080 p 80fps and one of the cleanest games ever made. Have you played the pc version? This IS a pc game and of the best ever.

#17 Posted by Vortec33 (685 posts) -

Frag_Maniac

Complete and utter bs. 1080 p 80fps and one of the cleanest games ever made. Have you played the pc version? This IS a pc game and of the best ever.

#18 Posted by Vortec33 (685 posts) -

Frag_Maniac

#19 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

I AM talking about the PC version. I'm playing it on a i7 950, GTS 250 1GB, 6GB RAM sys. I did the install exactly as recommended, everything went fine. I was getting 120-300 FPS with everything maxed w/ 16AF and VSync on @ 1600x900 with no SSAO. So I thought something's weird, it should not be running that well on my spec. This was with driver 296.1 btw.

The next time I went to play after rebooting I was getting severe shadow flickering some have mentioned,  which wasn't showing before, and the frame rate had dropped severely. I reset everything to the defaults the hardware detect had set, which was Very High textures, eveything else High, 4x AF, VSync on, but res I kept to 1600x900 vs default. Updating the driver to 301.42 didn't remove the shadow flicker, but reverting to DX9 vs 10 did. Then for some reason the game started playing with no shadow flicker in either DX version. I now keep it to DX9 though, and ave just under 60 FPS.

If you're thinking there's something wrong with my sys, I don't have problems with any other games, and I play most top rated current ones. Honestly I think the only thing that seems a separate platform production of this game is the higher res textures used for PC. The controls feel ported. Movement and aiming feel very consolish. I guess the heavy effects are personal preference, but as many said with the heavy blur of Very High settings in Metro 2033, these flashy effects somewhat counter the otherwise sharp graphics.

Do you guys get horizontal colored bands flashing onscreen even in-game as per the video below? It's at the :05 and :17 marks. At first I thought it would only be in cutscenes, but apparently not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgep5bkGaR4

#20 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

I AM talking about the PC version. I'm playing it on a i7 950, GTS 250 1GB, 6GB RAM sys. I did the install exactly as recommended, everything went fine. I was getting 120-300 FPS with everything maxed w/ 16AF and VSync on @ 1600x900 with no SSAO. So I thought something's weird, it should not be running that well on my spec. This was with driver 296.1 btw.

The next time I went to play after rebooting I was getting severe shadow flickering some have mentioned,  which wasn't showing before, and the frame rate had dropped severely. I reset everything to the defaults the hardware detect had set, which was Very High textures, eveything else High, 4x AF, VSync on, but res I kept to 1600x900 vs default. Updating the driver to 301.42 didn't remove the shadow flicker, but reverting to DX9 vs 10 did. Then for some reason the game started playing with no shadow flicker in either DX version. I now keep it to DX9 though, and ave just under 60 FPS.

If you're thinking there's something wrong with my sys, I don't have problems with any other games, and I play most top rated current ones. Honestly I think the only thing that seems a separate platform production of this game is the higher res textures used for PC. The controls feel ported. Movement and aiming feel very consolish. I guess the heavy effects are personal preference, but as many said with the heavy blur of Very High settings in Metro 2033, these flashy effects somewhat counter the otherwise sharp graphics.

Do you guys get horizontal colored bands flashing onscreen even in-game as per the video below? It's at the :05 and :17 marks. At first I thought it would only be in cutscenes, but apparently not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgep5bkGaR4

#21 Posted by DaDumb1 (3844 posts) -

Max's own home is invaded by drug addicts, his baby and wife are shot in cold blood as Max hears their cries/screams as he ascends upstairs, he sees his baby's carriage tipped over with the baby shot dead (thank god the developers have the decency to cover the baby's corpse with the blanket!), and Max's wife is shot mere seconds from him arriving! He then helplessly cries over her dead body! Now point to me a scene in Max Payne 3 more violent than that!

I think he's referring to more graphic violence. Yeah that scene was brutal, but in all reality all you see is 2 bodies laying down dead. MP3 opens with a man literally torn apart by a grenade, skin peeled, burned, but still alive, crawling away on his stump of an arm while you hear him moaning in pain and gasping for breath. Also, you see bullet holes and people's bodies get ripped apart and you see arteries continue to spray blood out of the wound.

#22 Posted by mad0260 (1198 posts) -

This max payne is up there with the "mature" violence. On par with Soldier of fortune 2

#23 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

This max payne is up there with the "mature" violence. On par with Soldier of fortune 2

mad0260
Funny you should mention SoF, because one of the problems with the game is the Last Kill animation is often as quirky as the Last Stand animation. Often times it looks extremely arcade with choppy vs smooth character movement, as if from one of the old SoF games. The guys responsible for the animations and onscreen effects did a horrible job IMO.
#24 Posted by DrKill09 (6238 posts) -

Yes, cause the first two were all sunshine and puppydogs.  :roll:

A lot of it has to do with Rockstar being in charge this time.  They made Manhunt after all.  I would expect no less from them.

I really love how this game has actual entrance and exit wounds.  BADASS! 

#25 Posted by Succumbus (597 posts) -

Yes, cause the first two were all sunshine and puppydogs.  :roll:

A lot of it has to do with Rockstar being in charge this time.  They made Manhunt after all.  I would expect no less from them.

I really love how this game has actual entrance and exit wounds.  BADASS! 

DrKill09
Yes until a cutscene comes and Max has one that exits directly on par with his spine... how is that believable?
#26 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Rated M for Maximum Payne, enough said. :cool:

#27 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -

Rated M for Maximum Payne, enough said. :cool:

Frag_Maniac
hahaha
#28 Posted by FlankerDFMax (1777 posts) -

Haven't picked up a copy yet, but I intend to soon. I've watched a couple of gameplay videos...................I'm sure I'll be fine.