Some really annoying things about this game...

#1 Posted by SaibotF8 (498 posts) -

First of all, I love this game and i'm not here to bash it. There are some things though that i'm finding really frustrating with the gameplay thats kind of hindering my experience.

1. This is pissing me off the most and happening often. When Max goes into his last stand thing where you have to kill someone or you die, a lot of the time the only person in sight is impossible to hit from my position or ill clip out before getting the kill and you have sit there and watch helplessly in slow motion for like 10 seconds before you die.

2. Hard mode is unecessarily hard. I understand its hard mode, but its incredibly difficult. You die so easily. Two guys shooting at you for 2 seconds can drop you all day.

3. Because hard mode is no cake walk, i'm finding it annoying that in almost every gun fight you have to take on a ridiculous amount of enemies. Almost feels like i'm fighting a small army one room at a time.

4. Lastly, it seems like sometimes guys take so many bullets before they finally go down.

Other than that, its a great game. Havent played the multiplayer yet but im sure its a blast. Anyone else agree or have other issues?

#2 Posted by romeo_longsword (86 posts) -

I found it hard on hard mode free aim, but you can do it, take it easy and don't get rapped up by your adrenaline and frustration you can enjoy harder modes more I think.

#3 Posted by Vozlov (1508 posts) -

I've started the game on hard and so far I'm not finding it 'badly' difficult at all. If I die I die with good reason.

You've got to pick your times of attack well, and make sure you can get out of danger once your in it. Keep in cover as much as possible. Aim better, seriously, headshots drop people in no time.

Practice is what you need.

#4 Posted by thedave2112 (13 posts) -

Really my only gripe is a bug that's happened a handful of times where sometimes after coming out of cover or coming out of bullettime and going into shootdodge, Max will kinda dance a small circle before he jumps. It actually looks pretty funny, but it's gotten me dead a few times. Another small quible is how unbelievably accurate all of the guns are at all distances, whether Max is shooting them or the enemies. I know this is hardly a realistic game, but it tries on certain levels, and I think this should be one. Simply put, you shouldn't be able to spray at a target with a MAC-11 from 100 yards away and hit him dead on. As for the difficulty, it was brutal enough for me on Normal, but I was also using free aim. As a primarily PC gamer, I can't stand computers trying to aim for me, as sometimes they pick the wrong target.

To all the people complaining about the enemies not going down with chest shots, you apparently overlooked the fact that about halfway in, almost every target has a high end bullet vest, as Passos comments on a little earlier at the soccer stadium. Same thing with people *****ing about the head shots not killing - at a certain point, they have high end kevlar on their heads, but if you hit them in the flesh of the head, they go down every time. All in all, this game hits the mark for me: it's still good ole' Max, I only wish there were bots on multiplayer so I could at least try that out (no network-no xbox live), it looks fun.

#5 Posted by LoganWesker (80 posts) -

hard mode is very difficult but I find it more enjoyable this way.

I like your comparison to one room small armies...thats actually a very good way to put it.

you really have to work the bullet-time on hard to have any chance.

the one downside of hard is that it kinda changes the game in a sense...meaning you spend a lot of time in cover or moving from cover to cover. this takes away from the game being 'max payne' due to how careful you must be. I can't remember spending any time in cover in max payne 1 or 2..bullet time was your cover.

also the biggest annoyance is there is no auto save like 1 or 2 which also slows down the gameplay as you have to be EXTRA careful not to get picked by that last straggler when you're on empty and have to restart THE ENTIRE ROOFTOP!! ARGHH!!

oh ya and how can i forget -- you have to be extra careful where and when you use bullet time otherwise you are boned -- i know this same principal applied in previous paynes but its extra sensitive this time, more realistic i suppose but i often found myself jumping neck first into walls only to realize the game has changed! John Mirra -- get it he was in the john talkin in the mirror!

this game..gotta hand it to rockstar...no one makes a game like em...the production values are through the roof...max payne deserved this treatment and as a fan of the first 2 this, thus far -- only on act III -- is excellent.

It's like playing a Tony Scott film.

#6 Posted by SaibotF8 (498 posts) -

Haha I totally agree with your Tony Scott comparison. I thought the same thing. Its like playing Man on Fire.  Also, i'm loving the game so far. The writing is top notch, the visual style is refreshing, and the brutality is spot on.  Yea, it took me a while to realize hard mode is hard enough where you can't run around and jump in bullet time without getting shot without dying quickly.  Still, its rewarding and so far its making the game last longer.

Anyone know how long each disc is and if there are any boss fights?

#7 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

You could easily have posted this in my topic I made a few days ago about what your not impressed about but anywhoo.

I agree, I think the difficulty is a little too steep for my taste I am all for a challenge but I just want to have fun not die over and over because of the physics, and I think max is way too weak in this game, and you dont get nearly enough health items.

As I've said before I dont like the load scenes where he goes around drinking and puking, and having all sorts of blur and mixed color effects....meh it just doesn't have the right atmosphere I rather it be dark and gloomy not sun shine bright and colorful.

It's a very detailed game but dont like the setting, new york was much better.

#8 Posted by BlackN9ne (11 posts) -

I found it hard on hard mode free aim, but you can do it, take it easy and don't get rapped up by your adrenaline and frustration you can enjoy harder modes more I think.

romeo_longsword
THIS!
#9 Posted by dandi (359 posts) -
I find it annoying when you are doing last man standing and you can not reload. If I have ten seconds to hit the guy, I should be able to reload my freaking firearm. I am not a fan of the blind fire grind. Finally I think that if they have requirements for the cheats, such as beating the game on hard using free aim, then you should be able to use the freaking cheats for another playthrough. I think it sucks that you do all that work, then they disable your ability to get trophies and achievements when using the cheats. I honestly do not know how to get the bus level trophy without cheats. How the heck do you kill every single person while the bus moves so quickly? Other than that, I think the game is awesome and highly addictive. I look forward to playing with or against you in the multiplayer. Your fellow gamer, Dandi - PSN: theluh
#11 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -
I'm about to sound like a jerk, but it sounds like you aren't very good at this game. Maybe play it on the easier difficulty a couple more times? Keep in mind with all shooters the most important part to get right, is the sensitivity. I have mine at 4 horizontal, 4 vertical, and 9 acceleration, it could be faster horizontally, it could also be slower, but I think how I have it works quite well for me, maybe it'll work well for you. And also I'm pretty sure you can use soft lock if thats what you want to do. Me personally, I've only struggled with this game in Old School mode, I played through half of new york minute hardcore, and my game froze :( 1. Last stand makes the game far too easy anyways, so I have to disagree with you there, if you want to solve this problem, take painkillers, or play the game on old school. 2. The reason why two guys drop you so fast is probably because you are aiming in, and not running around (which you should almost always be running around). 3. It wouldn't be Max Payne unless it felt like you were fighting a small army. 4. It can take 1-2 bullets for every enemy in the game, either aim for the head, or focus your bullets on areas not covered by armour. I hope that all helps.
#12 Posted by DrKill09 (6238 posts) -

I agree that hard mode is too hard. Don't get me wrong, I hate how most new games are a cake walk. I love a challenge, but hard mode in MP3 is WAY WAY harder than even the hardest difficulty in MP1 and 2. It's sick.

I actually restarted the game on normal cause hard was too damn hard. I could've just changed difficulty, but wanted my achievements back.

#13 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -

I agree that hard mode is too hard. Don't get me wrong, I hate how most new games are a cake walk. I love a challenge, but hard mode in MP3 is WAY WAY harder than even the hardest difficulty in MP1 and 2. It's sick.

I actually restarted the game on normal cause hard was too damn hard. I could've just changed difficulty, but wanted my achievements back.

DrKill09
I strongly disagree, I think its easier than MP1 (I played 2 once, so I'm not going to consider it here). You have to play it the same way you play MP1, be constantly moving, take cover when you need a short break from the action, memorize enemy locations, determine the biggest threat, use the environment to your advantage, know when to play aggressively, and when to play defensively. I'am really interested to know what parts everyone is struggling with. I also think the reason why people find it to be such a challenge, is because they have yet to familiarize themselves with the sensitivity. I've said this in another thread, but I'll say it here. My horizontal is at 4, my vertical is at 4, and my acceleration is at 9.
#14 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

I have a question on difficulty modes. When you start a new game on a higher difficulty mode than your previous run you played through on, do the collectibles carry over to the next run through? I'm hoping I'll still have my golden guns.

#15 Posted by Vortec33 (685 posts) -

I am playing hard mode, chapter 10 and I find it perfect.

#16 Posted by firedrakes (1479 posts) -
yeah the amount of ammo you put into this guys at times is insane. all the guns seem to have same damage effect . and enemy's have sniper like aim. even with a shotgun
#17 Posted by firedrakes (1479 posts) -
yeah the amount of ammo you put into this guys at times is insane. all the guns seem to have same damage effect . and enemy's have sniper like aim. even with a shotgun
#18 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -

I have a question on difficulty modes. When you start a new game on a higher difficulty mode than your previous run you played through on, do the collectibles carry over to the next run through? I'm hoping I'll still have my golden guns.

Frag_Maniac
Yes they do. Once you obtain a golden weapon, you have it for all subsequent story missions.
#19 Posted by 101shazam (81 posts) -

Hi

this is the worst game ever no save game ,  and no resume after exit,  if you don't make it through to the end of the episode and die then it starts from the beginning again  real bummer

#20 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Hi

this is the worst game ever no save game ,  and no resume after exit,  if you don't make it through to the end of the episode and die then it starts from the beginning again  real bummer

101shazam
End of an "episode"? You mean end of a checkpoint don't you? Really it's not that difficult to use the checkpoints once you become familiar with the battles and layout. I am doing better on my Medium run than on Easy by far, because I keep improving my combat tactics, assembling Golden Guns, and using the game's checkpoint system to my advantage. That's right, checkpoints can be more of a help than hindrance. I find myself playing bloody. By that I mean letting myself accumulate damage vs constantly healing on the fly. All you need is a minute amount of health going into the next checkpoint, then reload it and you are brought back to full health. I'm often going through what were some of the tougher levels for me the first run with 7-9 painkillers at any given time. It's all about position and well timed cover shots and shoot dodges.
#21 Posted by KHAndAnime (13918 posts) -
Lol @ all the bad players. Hard mode is pretty damn easy. Try aiming for the head.
#22 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -
Lol @ all the bad players. Hard mode is pretty damn easy. Try aiming for the head.KHAndAnime
I can't help but agree.
#23 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -
Lol @ all the bad players. Hard mode is pretty damn easy. Try aiming for the head.KHAndAnime
I'm sure that will be the case. The main reason I wanted to start out on lower difficulty is to be able to leisurely hunt for collectibles the first run, and add more replay value. Then I discovered the intrusive cutscenes are actually more of a hindrance to finding things than the difficulty level you play on.
#24 Posted by tmboyz (13 posts) -
Yes! hard mode is plain ridiculous. Craps. The hundreds of programmers and the storyboard writers probably ran out of ideas, as to what difficulty means. To rockstar, it means, one against a very able army in a locked toilet. It also means, the bullets from the hero's gun is less effective than his adversaries. Concepts such as this may excite the kids but insults grown ups. Max payne 3 maybe a top rated game but if made into a movie; will look silly on the screen. Remember Stallone, in Rambo!
#25 Posted by Talk2Luke (79 posts) -

...of course hard mode is really difficult. It?s hard mode.

#26 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -
Yes! hard mode is plain ridiculous. Craps. The hundreds of programmers and the storyboard writers probably ran out of ideas, as to what difficulty means. To rockstar, it means, one against a very able army in a locked toilet. It also means, the bullets from the hero's gun is less effective than his adversaries. Concepts such as this may excite the kids but insults grown ups. Max payne 3 maybe a top rated game but if made into a movie; will look silly on the screen. Remember Stallone, in Rambo! tmboyz
I thought lower difficulty was meant for kids? Anyways, as usual, if you are going to make a claim, at least bring some facts to prove it first. Your bullets do the exact same damage as your enemies bullets, which makes you wrong. Got a problem? Learn how to aim. Kids these days "If the game isn't holding my hand, its bad!"
#27 Posted by FartzNGigglez (1 posts) -
I'm about to sound like a jerk, but I think you will burn in hell for all the posts you've ever posted here on this forum and any other forum. I've read a ton of the things you've said and I've noticed that you are possibly the biggest **** alive. If it was your plan to make everyone on the internet hate you, congats... you succeeded.
#28 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

I have beaten the game on Hard and am now up through chapter 5 on Hardcore. Hard is hard in a few spots for sure, but easier than I expected in most spots. It's also not all that difficult to come up with ways to make even the harder spots more doable. It should be expected that a game with so many difficulty levels and speed run arcade modes seeks to challenge the player quite a bit.

If you thought this was just a romantic noir novel, you thought wrong. Max Payne 3 is a shooter's shooter. It offers good replay value becuase it actually scales it's difficulty modes well. The very description of Hard mode in the menu should be a clue up front that it will be a rigorous challenge. They fully warn you that accuracy and efficient use of bullet time is a must.

That said, after 5 chapters of Hardcore I've yet to see what is harder about it vs Hard. The only spot I ran into more trouble was getting the boat blown up a few times at the end of chapter 5, but it felt like it was more due to my not having shot the guys on the other boats fast enough like I was in the previous play through. 

So far though, I have no reason to believe I can't beat it on Hardcore. The only mode I'm really concerned about is Old School. I don't care that it has no Last Stand, but having no cover system will mean extremely efficient use of bullet time and positioning.

#29 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -

I'm about to sound like a jerk, but I think you will burn in hell for all the posts you've ever posted here on this forum and any other forum. I've read a ton of the things you've said and I've noticed that you are possibly the biggest **** alive. If it was your plan to make everyone on the internet hate you, congats... you succeeded. FartzNGigglez

You really think I care about what other people think? Especially on the internet?

You realize how stupid you look? You just came in here to cry about an opinion I have that you do not agree with, without once mentioning why.

If it was your plan to make yourself known as a complete moron, you succeeded.

Why don't you agree, or disagree with what I have to say?

Why are you so dickless that you don't reply to a single thing I've said until now? Why not live by example? Why not explain your opinion? You could easily prove me wrong, maybe you think I'm too harsh? Maybe you think my opinion is wrong?

Either way dude, you are an incompetent moron, and the only argument that can be made for your post is that you are a troll.

I honestly don't understand how its so hard to post on the subject at hand. And to reply to what you clearly think is wrong about my post. The guy assumed his bullets were doing less damage. Instead of doing research, and finding out whether or not he states it as if its fact. Guess what? He's wrong, your guns do the same damage (if not more) as your enemies.

Then he mentions that a hard difficulty is for children, and not for adults. Which isn't an opinion, its wrong. Adults today are the kids that used to play video games when they were actually a challenge. Any game that is released today that is a challenge, is marketed towards adults.

There you go, I have to post by example. Now was that so hard? Or even better, don't reply.

#30 Posted by FartzNGigglez (1 posts) -
Why do you think I have to be talking about one specific thing you said? Any and Everything you've ever said has been f***ing stupid. It's not just me who believes that either. I know for a fact there are a bunch of people who agree with me that you are a total c u n t. Do you have fun telling everybody on the internet that they're wrong? Do you enjoy getting into fights with people that have better things to do than f*** around with a loser like you? Well... if you do, you can burn in the fiery pits of hell for all I care.
#32 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Rather than rant on with angst and obscenities, not to mention self righteous religious scare tactics, why don't you offer up some proof of your claim that AI weapons do more damage than the player's? I've yet to see a shred of it. Maybe you should realize that when a game pits the player by themself against numerous enemies that can shoot fairly accurately and flank you, the combined sum of that can make it SEEM like they're doing more damage.

The simple reality is it can be easily tested without even looking at the game's weapon damage parameters by comparing how the last enemy shoots, takes damage and does damage to you. It's totally dependant on your actions. If you're in one spot too long they're going to zero in on you and get in a lethal shot. Anytime I'm one on one against the last enemy, the only time they take me out is if I've just shoot dodged and can't take cover or jump again before they shoot, and that's usually only if I don't see where they are.

The game takes patience in getting to know AI spawns, paths and tactics. It can help you anticipate how to deal with them. Even then, the AI will not always behave exactly the same each play through. Blaming Rockstar for offering up a game that has dynamic AI and a broad range of difficulty levels, thus more replay value, is not going to solve anything. If you seriously can't improve your gameplay, just choose a more appropriate difficulty level to play on.

That's life, some games are going to be more your niche than others. You think I go into every game assuming I'm going to be able to beat them on all difficulty levels? Most I can, buit I have some nasty memories of those I haven't gotten anywhere near the hardest level on. Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and play on a level that is challenging but not too challenging.

#33 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Rather than rant on with angst and obscenities, not to mention self righteous religious scare tactics, why don't you offer up some proof of your claim that AI weapons do more damage than the player's? I've yet to see a shred of it. Maybe you should realize that when a game pits the player by themself against numerous enemies that can shoot fairly accurately and flank you, the combined sum of that can make it SEEM like they're doing more damage.

The simple reality is it can be easily tested without even looking at the game's weapon damage parameters by comparing how the last enemy shoots, takes damage and does damage to you. It's totally dependant on your actions. If you're in one spot too long they're going to zero in on you and get in a lethal shot. Anytime I'm one on one against the last enemy, the only time they take me out is if I've just shoot dodged and can't take cover or jump again before they shoot, and that's usually only if I don't see where they are.

The game takes patience in getting to know AI spawns, paths and tactics. It can help you anticipate how to deal with them. Even then, the AI will not always behave exactly the same each play through. Blaming Rockstar for offering up a game that has dynamic AI and a broad range of difficulty levels, thus more replay value, is not going to solve anything. If you seriously can't improve your gameplay, just choose a more appropriate difficulty level to play on.

That's life, some games are going to be more your niche than others. You think I go into every game assuming I'm going to be able to beat them on all difficulty levels? Most I can, buit I have some nasty memories of those I haven't gotten anywhere near the hardest level on. Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and play on a level that is challenging but not too challenging.

#34 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -
FartzNGigglez
Any opinion that isn't positive is wrong?
#35 Posted by Hreidmar (0 posts) -
I´ve just registered because of the relevance of gamepost reviews ...and already regreting because of many of its users. Lots of discussions, arguments, personal fights...intolerance, and at the end no one winning...Many users acting like losers by taking this too serious or by total humility deficiency....I´m starting to believe this kind of thing is a regular american behavior, that´s happening on every corner of this site. No gentleman here, only animals with greed to achieve the post of masters of the reason. All the topics are closed with users talking about something completely outside of its initial theme...You could learn humility and modesty and criticize sparingly...or maybe spend more time playing than trying to be the forum owner. Some users sounds likes a father speaking a sermon in all topics. And I agree with the first point SaibotF8 menthioned. Another thing that annoys me is laser aimming, really confusing. And I don´t care if other players think that´s because I suck at the game..
#36 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

I´ve just registered because of the relevance of gamepost reviews ...and already regreting because of many of its users. Lots of discussions, arguments, personal fights...intolerance, and at the end no one winning...Many users acting like losers by taking this too serious or by total humility deficiency....I´m starting to believe this kind of thing is a regular american behavior, that´s happening on every corner of this site. No gentleman here, only animals with greed to achieve the post of masters of the reason. All the topics are closed with users talking about something completely outside of its initial theme...You could learn humility and modesty and criticize sparingly...or maybe spend more time playing than trying to be the forum owner. Some users sounds likes a father speaking a sermon in all topics. And I agree with the first point SaibotF8 menthioned. Another thing that annoys me is laser aimming, really confusing. And I don´t care if other players think that´s because I suck at the game..Hreidmar

Sermons? Really, you read a few posts on ONE American forum and start generalizing all of us as intolerant, greedy animals that can't stay on topic. Ironically in doing that only ONE sentence of your entire post was actualy on topic, and just like in your assessment of Americans, it too was skewed with naive assumption. The fact is all you have to do to avoid the awkward laser sight shooting on weapons that have them is to peruse the controls menu and note that there's a way to toggle off weapon attachments.

As for your OT rant. I've been on many, many internet forums, lots of which have members from all over the world, and I encounter every bit as many trolls from other countries as I do from America. You sound far too self rightreous and naive to be taken seriously.

#37 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -
[QUOTE="Hreidmar"] Another thing that annoys me is laser aimming, really confusing. And I don´t care if other players think that´s because I suck at the game..

Who said that means you suck?
#39 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

[QUOTE="Hreidmar"] Another thing that annoys me is laser aimming, really confusing. And I don´t care if other players think that´s because I suck at the game..CondorCalabasas
Who said that means you suck?

LOL, it's the way the guns shoot when laser sight equipped that sucks. The only thing he can be accused at sucking at there is maybe the way in which he read the controls menu. Trust me peeps, laser sights can be easily toggled off, and the guns with them shoot like they should when you do. The default key for it on PC is Tab, and it's labeled Weapon Attachment in the menu.