So is this game worth $60?

#1 Posted by kjrain12 (826 posts) -

Hey guys, I've never played Max Payne before but I'm interested in this one. Do you guys think it's worth 60 bucks? Is it on the same level quality wise as Rockstars other popular games?

#2 Posted by vivalatour (1117 posts) -

I am buying this game for $63.47 because I want too ,

an average of about $5 an hour game play where it's

an average of $5 an hour at the movies + popcorn and wash ?

yup , I would say it's worth it !

#3 Posted by bisherzaki (17 posts) -

sure it even worth more 60 $ its one of the best games of 2012

#4 Posted by chums307 (10 posts) -
sooo worth it
#5 Posted by motorola29 (891 posts) -

The biggest surprise in this game to me is the multiplayer because bullet time actually works and it's fun. Dozens of hours will be invested there.

Aside from that:

achievements/trophies

collecting gold gun parts

Various difficulties

overall replayability of amazing set pieces

I'd say it will keep me busy for the time being. I waited 9 years for it and nothing else is on my radar until

#6 Posted by RationMan (341 posts) -

easily worth it!

#7 Posted by dpac712 (153 posts) -

I bet it is! great single player and great multiplayer!

anyway, I'm only gonna get it when it drops price.

#8 Posted by sbdb (436 posts) -

The reality is that no game is worth $60, especially when you compare it with movies.

#9 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -

The reality is that no game is worth $60, especially when you compare it with movies.

sbdb
The game is new, so surely the comparison would be to a movie that is new? New movie, roughly $15 for one ticket. $15 for 2 hours, $7.50 an hour. (I won't even include the money people tend to spend on popcorn, and drinks) Max Payne 3 single player, 8-12 hours, if you are quick thats 8 hours, which is the same price $7.50 an hour. Thats assuming you play through the main story once, thats the exact same price. And like dpac712 said, you could also just wait until the price drops, by the time the price drops on Max Payne 3, a movie released at the same time (lets assume its a big production like MP3) the movie will be out on DVD and Blu-ray, where it will be the same as the ticket price at the theatre. And finally, people often play games over and over, back to back, but its quite rare for people to do the same with a movie.
#10 Posted by plastik01 (282 posts) -

the quality of graphics alone make the game worth it.  max payne is over 30GB because it doesn't compress it's textures, 4 times the resolution you'll see on consoles.  what you end up with is some really stunning visuals.  it also pushes the envelope with new graphics features such as SSAO's big brother HDAO, there's not a huge noticeable difference between the 2 but HDAO does look better.  DX11 looks great. The game runs surprisingly well too, since it isn't a port, it was developed independently of the console version.  The games linear and not open ended, but there's plenty of action (although I wish they would have toned down the action a bit at times and allow you to relax and take in some sights).  it really does tell a decent story and really gives you insight into max paynes...pain.  

they spared no expense in the development of max payne, and it really just makes every other game maker look like lazy crooks in comparison.  crysis has nothing on max payne.  it's leagues beyond what max payne 1 and 2 was in its time.

rockstar really makes up for their gta4 performance failure.  this game looks and run better. understandably though, you're going to need a beefy system to max it out, but it still looks amazing even on lower settings.

#11 Posted by Boomer76 (150 posts) -
Not sure if the game is worth it for a 8h hour or so long single player experience. Perhaps if you enjoy the multiplayer but then again BF/CoD does that better. As for the size of the game it is mostly because of the damned movies but it does look glorious on pc.
#12 Posted by fixthis4me (135 posts) -

I'm on my 4th playthrough and am still loving every second of it, so yeah i'd say it's well worth it. Great great game.

#13 Posted by Sentinel112 (571 posts) -

the quality of graphics alone make the game worth it.  max payne is over 30GB because it doesn't compress it's textures, 4 times the resolution you'll see on consoles.  what you end up with is some really stunning visuals.  it also pushes the envelope with new graphics features such as SSAO's big brother HDAO, there's not a huge noticeable difference between the 2 but HDAO does look better.  DX11 looks great. The game runs surprisingly well too, since it isn't a port, it was developed independently of the console version.  The games linear and not open ended, but there's plenty of action (although I wish they would have toned down the action a bit at times and allow you to relax and take in some sights).  it really does tell a decent story and really gives you insight into max paynes...pain.  

they spared no expense in the development of max payne, and it really just makes every other game maker look like lazy crooks in comparison.  crysis has nothing on max payne.  it's leagues beyond what max payne 1 and 2 was in its time.

rockstar really makes up for their gta4 performance failure.  this game looks and run better. understandably though, you're going to need a beefy system to max it out, but it still looks amazing even on lower settings.

plastik01
This is it. Tomorrow I am going to buy my physical copy at Game Mania. I love hectic gunfights with slowmotion. (Like the old Max Paynes and F.E.A.R. 1)
#14 Posted by DaDumb1 (3844 posts) -

I've played through the story start to finish 5 or 6 times, and the multiplayer is addicting as heck. Also, collecting golden guns and unlocking cheats is so worth it.

#15 Posted by MJPilgrim (1561 posts) -

I'd say it's worth it. The story is probably one of the best I've played in an action shooter this generation. I say that as someone who played and loved the original games though so perhaps I'm a bit biased. It might be just a bit too long but I don't think many people will complain. There's also modes for playing the story in different ways like score attack and a timed mode. I've only just starting playing the multiplayer but it seems to be pretty good as well. A good variation of modes and lots of customisation.