MP3 vs MP2 and MP1

#1 Posted by jazzycmk (161 posts) -

Having a good time playing MP3. I loved both MP2 and MP1, and this is a worthy successor.

I preferred MP2 over MP1 slightly. The story in MP2 was a little less dark, and it didn't have the somewhat annoying dream levels with the awkward platforming sequences (MP2 had some dream sequences, but they were straightforward and quick and were only meant to drive the story).

With that being said, here are a few observations about MP3:

1. I like that they returned to the MP1 approach to bullet time in that you have to kill enemies for it to re-charge. In MP2, bullet time refreshed automatically over time. If I had a nitpick about MP2, it was that it was a little too easy, and the automatic refreshing of bullet time largely contributed to that.
  2. I agree with Gamespot's review regarding shoot dodges in MP3. I don't use them much because they often leave you very vulnerable. About the only time I use them is when I'm down to the last guy or two in a room. That's disappointing because shoot dodging was such an integral part of MP1 & 2.
  3. While the high production values are obvious, I've got to admit that MP3 plays a bit too much like so many other cover-based shooters out there (Gears, Rainbow 6, Uncharted, etc.). Bullet time is as slick as ever, but it's not quite the same when you're using it from cover. I do miss the MP2 approach to charging headlong into a room with 10 guys, activating bullet time and being able to clear it before they knew what hit them (if you played it right). Can't do that in this game, even with a full meter of bullet time. Just too many enemies who are pretty accurate (at least on hard mode).
  4. I think the level design in this game is superb. They have just enough flashbacks to Max in New York to make you wax nostalgic, but the new locales in this game make for a refreshing change of pace.
  5. Call me sentimental, but I would have liked to see them still use the comic book storyboards to progress the story. That was always very old-school cool in the first two games. The live actions panels with the flashing words just don't strike the same chord with me.
  6. Very glad they have the same voice actor back for Max. He still has the perfect world-weary pitch.
  7. I like the subtle tips of the hat to fans of the first two games (like finding Vinne Cognitti's tombstone in the cemetery level). Nice touch.

My $.02. Maybe not a perfect game, but after a 10-year wait thinking that we had seen the last of Max, I'm just glad to be playing him again.

#2 Posted by DaDumb1 (3844 posts) -

Yeah I think they made this game a little too tactical. On hard mode and above you have absolutely no freedom to try cool or creative things and you just end up finding a piece of cover in a chokepoint and holding there for every encounter and it's incredibly unfun.

#3 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2056 posts) -

The main things I don't like are it's overly scripted and cluttered with onscreen effects that somewhat counter the otherwise decent graphics. Searching for collectibles, clues and weapon/ammo pickups at times feels like a chore, because the damn cutscenes kick in and take control away from the player, often placing you well beyond where you want to be to do some searching. Worse yet the cutscenes aren't skippable either. At times it makes it very hard to advance if you backtrack from the checkpoint spot they drop you off at, then continue on. SO many developers make the mistake of trying to dictate the flow of the game for you by attempting to make it an interactive movie experience. I don't want to feel like I'm in a damn movie, I want it to play like a game.

The movement, camera and gunplay could be better too. Movement is consolish, slow and clunky, and even aiming has too slow a response. The camera has way too much spring in it and doesn't even allow you good view at times., like when going down stairs. That last chance thing where the screen goes white when an enemy is about to finish you off is a joke. Often times you cannot even see your reticle so you're just blindly firing while Max is often spazzing out in an awkward posistion until he's killed. I've had times where it kicks in when you don't even have a line on the guy shooting at you, and there's nothing you can do. This is another good example of overscripting. They copied the go prone when hit and still be able to shoot while prone from Kane & Lynch, but they should have just stuck with that minus the damn locked in white wash/camera spring thing and let you aim freely without turning the screen white and allow you to crawl to cover if necessary, like K&L does.

Bottom line, it's a game with good battles, level design, story and graphics, that doesn't rise to anywhere near it's full potential due to overly scripted cinemtics, garish effects, and a feel of ported controls.

#4 Posted by TheBinch (2 posts) -
I've got nothing against consoles other than the fact that I find the gameplay slow and and ponderous. I've always preferred PC gaming where a good fast-twitch game like Max Payne 1 & 2 are challenging and fun. I loved both games and eagerly awaited the arrival of MP3. I must have missed the press release the said that MP3 for PC is a console port, and a poor one at that. This game is in no way a fast-twitch FPS like it's predecessors. Gameplay is slow, ponderous, clumsy and imprecise. Aiming mechanics are vague and unreliable. In game controls are a disaster. There is no time allowed to work through the "puzzle" of any particular level. It's just "Keep running, don't stop to think." I'm deleting this miserable game from my PC and wishing I could get my $60 back from the scumbags who foisted this lousy port of a lousy game on me. They win, I lose. Par for the course in from a software company, I guess. No demos, misleading advertising, eager consumer = I get ripped off. And people wonder why piracy is a way of life. Maybe if you like console games/mechanics you'll enjoy MP3. But, if you're like me and love PC gaming...DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS "GAME"!!! I agree with the posters above that it's a very pretty thing to look at. As long as you don't try to play it, that is.
#5 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -

Having a good time playing MP3. I loved both MP2 and MP1, and this is a worthy successor.

I preferred MP2 over MP1 slightly. The story in MP2 was a little less dark, and it didn't have the somewhat annoying dream levels with the awkward platforming sequences (MP2 had some dream sequences, but they were straightforward and quick and were only meant to drive the story).

With that being said, here are a few observations about MP3:

1. I like that they returned to the MP1 approach to bullet time in that you have to kill enemies for it to re-charge. In MP2, bullet time refreshed automatically over time. If I had a nitpick about MP2, it was that it was a little too easy, and the automatic refreshing of bullet time largely contributed to that.
  2. I agree with Gamespot's review regarding shoot dodges in MP3. I don't use them much because they often leave you very vulnerable. About the only time I use them is when I'm down to the last guy or two in a room. That's disappointing because shoot dodging was such an integral part of MP1 & 2.
  3. While the high production values are obvious, I've got to admit that MP3 plays a bit too much like so many other cover-based shooters out there (Gears, Rainbow 6, Uncharted, etc.). Bullet time is as slick as ever, but it's not quite the same when you're using it from cover. I do miss the MP2 approach to charging headlong into a room with 10 guys, activating bullet time and being able to clear it before they knew what hit them (if you played it right). Can't do that in this game, even with a full meter of bullet time. Just too many enemies who are pretty accurate (at least on hard mode).
  4. I think the level design in this game is superb. They have just enough flashbacks to Max in New York to make you wax nostalgic, but the new locales in this game make for a refreshing change of pace.
  5. Call me sentimental, but I would have liked to see them still use the comic book storyboards to progress the story. That was always very old-school cool in the first two games. The live actions panels with the flashing words just don't strike the same chord with me.
  6. Very glad they have the same voice actor back for Max. He still has the perfect world-weary pitch.
  7. I like the subtle tips of the hat to fans of the first two games (like finding Vinne Cognitti's tombstone in the cemetery level). Nice touch.

My $.02. Maybe not a perfect game, but after a 10-year wait thinking that we had seen the last of Max, I'm just glad to be playing him again.

jazzycmk
1. I agree. I can't stand MP2, its as big of a disappointment as Halo 2 was for me. 2. I believe you are wrong. I played MP1 on the hardest difficulty, and shoot dodging works the same as it did then. I'm not sure why people think shoot dodging in the middle of a room without any cover is going to some how make you survive. Just like in Max Payne 1, you have to plan out and decide where you want to land after your shoot dodge. You should only shoot dodge if you know you are going to get up behind cover (just like MP1) or when you know you'll be able to take out the rest of the enemies in one shoot dodge. So in Max Payne 1, you are telling me you shoot dodge into wide open spaces, and you live on the hardest difficulty? Because I can't do that, obviously not unless I can kill all the enemies in a single shoot dodge. 3. HAHAHAHAHA, what?! What difficulty are you playing on? Good luck taking cover like its gears of war on old school. Again, what difficulty are playing on MP1, and MP2? Playing on the hardest difficulty you can't just run in like a madman in slow motion, I normally take cover, wait for any rushers, pick off a couple, and then go in like a madman in slow motion. You're playing on hard? I hate to sound like a dick, but hard is easy. Try NYM Hardcore, or Old School with free aim. 4. I agree, the level design is better than any first person shooter I have ever played, though many come close. I always knew where to go next, never did I run into a dead end. 5. I agree, they don't strike the same chord with me either. I think they could work, but I think they need to be more like a comic book. Either that, or just go straight back to the comic book formula. I miss it so much. 6. I agree again, I think the script itself is a little weak in some parts, like when on the boat mission Max says "I knew you could do it!", but I blame the writing, not the voice actor. 7. I didn't find his tomb stone until a few play throughs in, and that brought back some much needed nostalgia. Maybe not a perfect game, but I don't think any of my favourite games I've ever played, ever are. For me, this easily goes in a top ten list for best games I've ever played, up there with the original KOTOR, MGS3, and Silent Hill 2 (if you didn't like it, chances are you didn't get it). I'm just glad they didn't kill him off, for some reason every Max Payne game I play I always think he's going to get killed in the end. It gives me hope that there might be a Max Payne 4. Anyways, I enjoyed reading a competent thread, I hope you aren't like most of the morons on the internet, and you understand I'm not trying to be rude, I'am simply agreeing/disagreeing with you.
#6 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -

Yeah I think they made this game a little too tactical. On hard mode and above you have absolutely no freedom to try cool or creative things and you just end up finding a piece of cover in a chokepoint and holding there for every encounter and it's incredibly unfun.

DaDumb1
Play it on NYM w/free aim, or Old School w/free aim. Even NYM Hardcore works.