Huge Max Payne 1 and 2 fan. I have to say this is the best Max Payne yet.

#1 Posted by Neo_Sarevok (2979 posts) -

Rockstar nailed the Max Payne (MP) style to perfection, improving upon flaws of its predecessors.

The shootdodge mechanic's visuals have been significally improved. When Max is about to collide with an object during shootdodge, his body behaviour reflects this, bracing for impact. In prior games, there was no collision and Max would look stiff during the animation. The levels featuring transitions from cinematic to shootdodge (ex. crashing through the Night Club glass) adds further spice to what once was an outdated mechanic made new again.

The enemy A.I. is also improved. They're vastly unpredictable and exhibit various traits ranging from aggression to cover mechanics. While it's easy to fault the cover mechanic as slowing the action down, it's a needed compromise giving A.I. added realism and emphasis to the environment. Truly, the environment is now both your greatest enemy or ally. In past Max Payne's, the best the enemy did to protect themself was strafe behind a solid wall or backstep. While it's easy to look at the cover mechanic from Max's perspective, it's what it provides enemies that truly allows the mechanic to shine.

The A.I. spouting out a foreign language is a great twist to the Max Payne formula. It ellicits confusion and frustration out of the player, ironically complementing Max's predicament, drunken nature, and the fast paced anarchy of gun-fights. It reminds us Max is out of place in his new environment and that words don't mean much when bad guys carry big guns.

I wont comment on the multi-player, other than to say more options never hurt anyone. What's important is its development didn't seen to hamper Max Payne 3's single-player experience.

Now the million dollar question: What modding tools will Rockstar offer its PC audience, as witnessed in the prior two games? This needs to happen. Max Payne's modding culture is a big deal. People want to see Kung Fu and Matrix mods, among many others. With these mods, people can remember and return to MP3 long after they've completed it. Truly, I don't know if there would be a MP3 if MP1 or MP2 didn't have such a stellar modding scene.

Rockstar did a fantastic job. Like many others, I was concerned at first seeing a bald fat Max Payne in the originally released screenshots, but Rockstar pulled it off. Kudos to them on the grand effort.

#2 Posted by pokajabba (4741 posts) -

In prior games, they wouldn't have collision when shoot dodging? Considering they came out yonks ago. Also, Max moves like a robot, when in earlier games there was flow within his movements. it didn't take him 30 years to get off the ground. So they got impact and what not right on, but sacrificed flow within Max Payne's movements. So, pick your poison I guess.

The enemies in Max Payne 2 were actually decent enough to put on a fight, but with first game, all they would do was run right at you. So yes in regards to the first, but only slightly improved compared to the second.

Delving into the dark and gritty confines of New York, with things you would never see in real life, was pretty damn more effective than the third game. Sorry, but I disagree and thought the setting for the first and second delved into the dark confines of humanity and was far more Alien than being in another country. Not much multiplayer back then, but they focused all their energy's on single player, which clearly shows, as the story's are better and flow better than the third.

Max Payne 3 is a great game for sure. In regards to the first and second, its just not AS good though. I'm not even sure if I consider it a Max Payne game myself, but I think I almost would.

As far as I see it though:
Max Payne 1 - Darker and better Story with more flow to the game.

Max Payne 2 - Slightly better story than the third and better game flow.

Max Payne 3 - Best content and additions. Slightly weaker story and the game flow is not quite as responsive as it should be.

#3 Posted by davidsworld3 (3032 posts) -

I agree, I dont really like the third game, I just cant get into it.

For sure a great game when it comes to level of detail and works like it should haven't had any bugs really, but I overall give it a 7.5 It's just not that fun too me, and regret getting it but at least it has the content to make it worth 60 bucks but I regret buying it at that price.

#4 Posted by oldboy36 (514 posts) -

The best max payne game was a little half game that unfortuanlty was too short and over scripted called stranglehold. Max Payne felt a huge step backwards control and gameplay wise and is a good examble of flash over substance. Great Voice over work though. Graphics GTA 4 level, Ai is ok, everthing else is just bad by last gen and this gen standards.

I was so torn when I first put it in, the music and voice over the cut scences then a few hours in of playing it I was not torn anymore its a bad game. 7.5 is being kind of generous. 9 is being overwhelmed by nostalgia are just being paid off, or on too many pain pills and whiskey.

Side note if Gamespot and others do a vid about how bad the gameplay is in max payne 3 ala Mass effect 3 some nerd should seek them out an beat the crap out of them then put it on U tube.

#5 Posted by Vozlov (1508 posts) -

Personally I find Max Payne 3 to be a perfect addition to the series.

The setting has actually evolved, whilst keeping itself more realistic than the first two. IMO this is a very impressive achievement. To say this 'isn't a max payne game' is just ludicrous imo, and borderline arrogance. Beyond the comic story telling cut scenes this is a Max Payne game beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Also, to consider the stereotypical, beyond sopranos style of the mafia in the first games more gritty and realistic than what they've done with Brazil imo is just laughable. Does absolutely no one remember the voice overs for that game? Realistic? Gritty? Rose tinted glasses indeed.

@Oldboy: What about the controls and gameplay is a huge step backwards? Gameplay wise this is the same as the originals with additions. The controls are imo the best they could of been, regarding consoles anyway.

Please, ellaborate on which parts of this game are bad compared to last gen games? Please.

Honestly the hatred for this game seems imo to stem from peoples severe lack of being able to objectively view anything with resemblance to something they hold overly dear to their hearts. In this case a game 10 years old that absolutely pales in comparison to what they have achieved with this 3rd installment.

I really just don't understand what people were expecting.

#6 Posted by vivalatour (1117 posts) -

I am a fan of 1 & 2 , but it sure does not seem to mean much

considering R* hit a Big Time Level with this release :D

#7 Posted by oldboy36 (514 posts) -

No problem I guess I was expecting more variety sliding on banisters, slideing over tables, more animations for different dives more collectables, destructable weapons like shooting banister down on enemies and that type stuff something besides probane tanks and less scripted moves. Scripted levels is one thing but moves I hate that. Let me be clear they do a great job getting you into the setting, although I would have liked more sureal dark moments it wasnt a big deal. I loved the kind of Big Sleep on crack feel it had. But, There are also alot of flashy things that actually hurt the gameplay the long pose at the end of the dive, the weird bullet time near death that makes it so you cant reload, execution moments that while look cool seem to actualy hender things and just make you waste ammo. The mechanics to me didnt feel as smooth as 2 or stranglehold or have as much purpose. And no hostage cover that was odd. Uneven damage to enemies shoot them 3 times in the knee cap and they die 5 times in the chest they fall down get up and you have to shoot them a couple more times but thats starting to get nit picky. And the pace you knew when stuff was going down and when it was over there was no real surprise to the combat stranglehold got ript for that yet rockstar does oh no thats fine..

Now if this was a movie or series it be awsome but I cant judge a game on that alone I judge a game on the game and for me the game aspect wasnt very good. It was average at best for me. I'd rather deal with some clipping and a glitch here or there because the devolpers were being ambitous then to get something that tech wise is near perfect but doesnt advance the gameplay.

Also I'm more miffed at game sites rated stuff so high (from certain devolpers) and then a few months or weeks later putting up some thing that tells us how they really felt about it. I'd say Max payne 3 is a must rent but not a buy. 

#8 Posted by Vozlov (1508 posts) -

So basically you wanted Stranglehold 2? You were expecting a sequel to that game instead of a sequel to Max Payne?

Scripted moves? Please elaborate.

Surreal dark moments? Like the part where *SPOILER* Rodrigo is stood up in tires and set alight alive?

'Big Sleep on crack feel it had'- What?

The long pose at the end of a dive is for you to keep shooting before getting up. You can stand straight back up if you move. The bullet time near death is a game mechanic you clearly don't understand. How do executions hinder gameplay? Also, you only need to use one bullet. No hostage cover? That has never been a part of Max Payne. Uneven damage to enemies comes from them wearing BODY ARMOR.

Your still to tell me what part of the game is poor compared to even last gen games? You said the gameplay is a huge step backwards? How? Have you even played Max Payne 1 and 2? Do you just say these things to sound like you have a clue?

TBH I wish I'd never asked. It's annoying when I try and get an objective view from someone and all they can do is compare everything to a different game series altogether whilst ignoring the clear holes I've brought up in your logic. Especially considering it's clear you don't actually understand some of the games mechanics, yet are coming online to tell people not to buy the game as if you know it inside out. What a waste of time.

#9 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -

In prior games, they wouldn't have collision when shoot dodging? Considering they came out yonks ago. Also, Max moves like a robot, when in earlier games there was flow within his movements. it didn't take him 30 years to get off the ground. So they got impact and what not right on, but sacrificed flow within Max Payne's movements. So, pick your poison I guess.

The enemies in Max Payne 2 were actually decent enough to put on a fight, but with first game, all they would do was run right at you. So yes in regards to the first, but only slightly improved compared to the second.

Delving into the dark and gritty confines of New York, with things you would never see in real life, was pretty damn more effective than the third game. Sorry, but I disagree and thought the setting for the first and second delved into the dark confines of humanity and was far more Alien than being in another country. Not much multiplayer back then, but they focused all their energy's on single player, which clearly shows, as the story's are better and flow better than the third.

Max Payne 3 is a great game for sure. In regards to the first and second, its just not AS good though. I'm not even sure if I consider it a Max Payne game myself, but I think I almost would.

As far as I see it though:
Max Payne 1 - Darker and better Story with more flow to the game.

Max Payne 2 - Slightly better story than the third and better game flow.

Max Payne 3 - Best content and additions. Slightly weaker story and the game flow is not quite as responsive as it should be.

pokajabba
haha, you don't even know what you are talking about. He moves like a robot? You make zero sense at all. Its the exact opposite of what you said. In Max Payne 1 & 2 he runs around as if he's floating. 30 years? Do you have brain damage, or the attention span of a goldfish? It takes about 1 second, to get up off the ground, and I'd love to see you get up faster. I guess you've never played Max Payne 1? You don't want me to post videos of the enemies taking cover in Max Payne 1, it'll make you look silly. "things you would never see in real life" So you know someone who traffics human body parts? Actually Max Payne 1 had multiplayer, it was removed before the games release. So yet again, that would make you simply wrong. I wish people would actually base their opinions on facts as opposed to wild guesses.
#10 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -

No problem I guess I was expecting more variety sliding on banisters, slideing over tables, more animations for different dives more collectables, destructable weapons like shooting banister down on enemies and that type stuff something besides probane tanks and less scripted moves. Scripted levels is one thing but moves I hate that. Let me be clear they do a great job getting you into the setting, although I would have liked more sureal dark moments it wasnt a big deal. I loved the kind of Big Sleep on crack feel it had. But, There are also alot of flashy things that actually hurt the gameplay the long pose at the end of the dive, the weird bullet time near death that makes it so you cant reload, execution moments that while look cool seem to actualy hender things and just make you waste ammo. The mechanics to me didnt feel as smooth as 2 or stranglehold or have as much purpose. And no hostage cover that was odd. Uneven damage to enemies shoot them 3 times in the knee cap and they die 5 times in the chest they fall down get up and you have to shoot them a couple more times but thats starting to get nit picky. And the pace you knew when stuff was going down and when it was over there was no real surprise to the combat stranglehold got ript for that yet rockstar does oh no thats fine..

Now if this was a movie or series it be awsome but I cant judge a game on that alone I judge a game on the game and for me the game aspect wasnt very good. It was average at best for me. I'd rather deal with some clipping and a glitch here or there because the devolpers were being ambitous then to get something that tech wise is near perfect but doesnt advance the gameplay.

Also I'm more miffed at game sites rated stuff so high (from certain devolpers) and then a few months or weeks later putting up some thing that tells us how they really felt about it. I'd say Max payne 3 is a must rent but not a buy. 

oldboy36
"the long pose at the end of the dive" I assume you mean the long pause? The length of that pause is completely determined by controller input, so that is your fault. "bullet time near death that makes it so you can't reload" You really like your hand held huh? It gives you a full magazine as you go into the last stand, you are telling me you can't shoot one bullet into one guy? "execution moments that while look cool seem to actualy hender things and just make you waste ammo" What do they hinder? That makes no sense. And they don't make you waste any ammo at all actually, infact they make you save ammo, because you know when the last guy is dead. Subsequent shots after you kill the last guy in the area, again, is entirely based on player input, you again, you simply wrong. "The mechanics to me didnt have as much purpose." The ummm, WHAT?! I'm scratching my head over that one. "And no hostage cover that was odd." What do you mean? Again, I don't understand. " Uneven damage to enemies shoot them 3 times in the knee cap and they die 5 times in the chest they fall down get up and you have to shoot them a couple more times but thats starting to get nit picky." Its called aiming for the head? hahahaha Believe it or not, bullet proof armour, is bullet proof, I know, I know, its wild concept. " there was no real surprise to the combat stranglehold got ript for that yet rockstar does oh no thats fine.." I've read plenty of reviews of people complaining about the repetitive combat. What I don't understand is why don't people complain about skyrim being such a grind, why don't people complain about Need for Speed having too much racing, and please god explain to me why on earth not one complains about the extreme repetitive gameplay of the entire call of duty series. Scripted cutscene, followed by shooting cardboard cutouts, followed by slow motion scene, rinse repeat. I'd say Max Payne 3 is a must buy. Especially since it seems that all the reasons you shouldn't buy it, are based on false information, and a complete lack of logic. "This shooter has too much shooting!"
#11 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -

Vozlov
I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone post on the internet who thinks similarly to myself. I couldn't agree more.
#12 Posted by MJPilgrim (1561 posts) -

You can't really criticise the first two games for being limited by the technology of the time. That just doesn't make any sense. I still think MP2 was a better game. The bullet time mechanic was much more functional and didn't force you to constantly hide behind cover. I don't care about the setting change in MP3 but I would've liked to have seen the return of the ridiculous tv shows to break up the overly serious nature of the story and at least one dream sequence.

Max's dialogue is slightly off as well. He seems to talk a bit too much and his metaphors fall flat way more often than they used to...maybe it's the alcohol. Giving him a buddy to team up with didn't feel right either. I still think it's a great game but Remedy clearly understands the series better than Rockstar, just as Rockstar understands GTA better than Remedy ever could.

It's also worth noting that Max Payne was never intended to be realistic. It's Hong Kong action and Film Noir combined. It's meant to be a cinematic, warped and twisted view of reality and nothing more. There's a reason the voice acting is the way it is in the first two games. You think they gave the mobsters such ridiculous voices without noticing?

#13 Posted by rtsjeremy (5 posts) -

I still think it's a great game but Remedy clearly understands the series better than Rockstar, just as Rockstar understands GTA better than Remedy ever could.

MJPilgrim

Spot on. The game just oozes "different developer". The whole vibe is different. It's really difficult to lay a finger on it but Remedy just has this... vibe. Alan Wake also has this similar feel to it, which is also made by Remedy. It's a good game just different. Not sure if that's good or not for the 3rd installment of a succesful franchise. Perhaps staying true to the developers would've made for a better 3rd game. Who knows.

#14 Posted by blastmaster2k2 (382 posts) -

I played the first 2 games when they came out, not years later like a lot of you young bucks. Sorry, those games weren't that great looking back at it. This is a huge step forward in all ways. Not everyone like the goofy lame stuff involved in the first 2, I'm one of them. The stripped out the garbage, good job.

#15 Posted by blastmaster2k2 (382 posts) -

Oh yea, that bad dream level or whatever was the worst level of any video game I've ever played. yawn

#16 Posted by DaDumb1 (3844 posts) -

I still feel like Max PAyne 2 was slightly better in the gameplay department just because it felt like you could experiment more. Max Payne 3, especially on harder difficulties, punishes experimentation and risk by making Max way too fragile.