Favela gameplay vid, Hardcore (Heisenberg in the hood).

#1 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

I decided to start capturing clips this play through for a few reasons. One, I'm finding Hardcore so far to not be much if any more challenging than Hard was. Two, I found ways to play many parts no scratch, this vid contains two of them. Three, many have been complaining that Hard is too difficult, but I get the feeling they've not explored all the possible tactics.

This is the last half of Chapter 7 in the favela where it culminates in climbing the hill to Serrano's hideout. I had to use Fraps because DxTory has some problems with this game. I managed to get through using only a few painkillers. I probably could have done it with only one had I done a dive just before the last molotov was thrown at me and shot the last two guys I took out with shoot dodge. As a result the last dash to the gate of Serrano's house was a bit clumsy with a concrete smacking headache, but what's a video withiout some humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccw2wgE0xy4

#2 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -

Well done, you're pretty good.

Interesting to watch someone else play.

I definitely stick around in cover a lot more than you do, and I definitely don't shootdodge as much as I should.

I should also mention that out of all the gameplay videos I watch, yours is definitely entertaining, as I have no complaints.

I think after you are done with hard, or hardcore, you should check out NYM, its a blast and totally changes the way you play the levels (or do you unlock it after old school? I forget).

#3 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Thanks, I was expecting some criticism as clumsy as the last part of that felt. NYM is unlocked simply by beating the game on any level. I remember thinking how hard NYM would be in MP2 after carefully taking my time getting through levels on the harder modes, but then when I played in that mode I found it to not be that hard. I think I ended up completing the whole game in just under 2 hours.

MP2 was pretty short though, and the auto recharging bullet time made it easy to play. It was part of what was taking time for me in regular gameplay, but the more I used shoot dodge effectively, the better I could chain my BTs together without waiting. I plan on trying the arcade modes after getting through the campaign on Hardcore and hopefully Old School, but I don't know if I'll manage OS.

The game is pretty well made as far as level design, AI, weapons and core graphics, but I'd like to see someone make some mods to disable the weird onscreen effects and maybe keep Last Stand from glitching the way it does. Even being able to turn it off on any diff mode would be nice. I've had shoot dodge glitch on me too if I land in a cramped spot. For instance in the warehouse shootout earlier on in that favela level, Max went flying up through the roof of that little sheltered area with the two painkillers and red dot scope rifle just because I shoot dodged into the corner. LOL

BTW, I'm still trying to find out from someone that's played on Hardcore if they thought it felt any harder than Hard. So far I'm halfway through the game and I can't really see much if any difference. Just the same I'd like to know what the differences are if anyone knows.

#4 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -
BTW, I'm still trying to find out from someone that's played on Hardcore if they thought it felt any harder than Hard. So far I'm halfway through the game and I can't really see much if any difference. Just the same I'd like to know what the differences are if anyone knows.Frag_Maniac
I think your enemies do more bullet damage than they do in hard, either that, or they are more accurate. I can't figure out which, but I'am pretty sure its one or the other.
#5 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Well I finished my Hardcore run last night. Four of the spots that felt harder than I'd expected on Hard I managed to get through with no damage just by changing tactics a bit. They include the outer walkway of the ship at Panama, the pool terrace area at the Imperial Palace Hotel, the lobby of the police station where the laser sight cops come out of the elevators and pop smoke, and the office room of the police station where a heavy armor guy comes out after you clear the room. The latter took some clever retreating though.

On the final battle against Becker I also for the first time used back and forth left and right shoot dodges exclusively and never suffered one explosion. Hardcore may indeed have some differneces, maybe the ones or one of the ones you mentioned, but if you improve your tactics each run it's almost impossible to tell. One of the areas that was rather daunting though was the shootout in the bus depot with the two raised buses.

Oddly enough the spot I feared most, the baggage room when entering the airport, I got through on my 2nd try. I managed it by chaining shoot dodges together while heading for the stairs. For the first time I managed to get up the stairs before killing all the guys on the lower floor. I went prone on the landing after the first flight of stairs and took out those remaining. It was an ideal choke point.