Best Game Ever.

#1 Posted by goatman48 (657 posts) -

Max Payne was the best game ever. 
Then Max Payne 2 was the best game ever.
Now Max Payne 3 is the best game ever. 

One in a million will agree with me.  That's who I'm trying to find. 

#2 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Well I'm not inclined to say best game EVER, but best game of the year so far. It had the potential to be better than it is. I can handle the sometimes frustrating scripted moments where they thrust you into awkward situations, and even the unskippable cutscenes, but the over the top garish onscreen effects are very off putting and just ruin the otherwise excellent graphics.

Intersting to note is that the main reason the user rating on Metacritic is so much lower than the previous two is due to so many players not liking the unskippable cutscenes and mainly the way they often thrust players into an awkward situation, vs being able to walk through a door and pick your spot. They really don't complain about the core gameplay, just the scripted way it's bound together.

I can't help but feel if most of those players had given the game more time for them to adjust to it, they'd have found that those moments once you get to know the game well are the little nuances that keep it challenging and worthy of replay value. Those moments make you really strategize your tactics and are the few spots in the game where you know you'll have to think on your feet.

What's disconcerting in replaying the game IMO is not just the unskippable cutsenes, but mostly the flashy screen effects. Hopefully someone will mod it to al least remove the ones used while playing. I get that they wanted to make it feel like an interactive John Woo inspired movie, that's where the whole Bullet Time idea came from, but I don't see the need for these flashy effects that don't really succeed at giving it a noir feel.

#3 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -
Frag_Maniac
I disagree with most of what you said. I enjoy the scripted moments where you go from cutscene to gameplay in one shot. If its at the expense that I can't skip a cutscene I'am fine with that. No matter how many times I play a game like this, I enjoy watching the cutscenes every single time. Personally, there is only one part of this game that I can definitely say I do not like, and its a real nitpick. Its a real fault of the direction, and script that makes it so hard to bare. But there is a part during the tiete river boat section where Max says a line that is completely out of character. "I knew you could do it!" I probably sound like a psycho for saying one line bothers me, but it does, its like nails on chalkboard for me. I can also understand the complaint about the style of the cutscenes, the flashing, the freeze frames, the colour, the words. But I like it to be honest. Do I think it could be better? Most certainly, I'd much prefer the comic book style from the first game (the second game made the comic book look like it was dirty, which was distracting for me). I don't agree with the OP, that this is the "best game ever" but for me personally, I have kind of a top ten (roughly) list of games that I think are the best that I've ever played, and I don't think they will ever be replicated, I think Max Payne 3 falls into that category. And its rare for me to put games into that category. The original KOTOR, Max Payne 1, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Deus Ex: HR, Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2. Excluding DKC which I enjoy for its gameplay, I love games that make you feel for the character, games that make the character believable. Games that have better scripts than most movies I've seen. And excellent twisting stories. Infact, I can say the twists you find in the stories of the games I mention above, and up there with the twists in movies like Seven, and Fight Club. I felt every cutscene, I always knew where to go because of the flawless level design, I cared for Max, constantly worried about whether or not he'd actually survive this time, I cared about the characters, the story kept me hooked from beginning to end, having me constantly guessing (wrong I might add). And the while making me feel like I'am Max Payne. There is just about no game that throws everything at you, quite like Max Payne does. And for that; Best game ever? Probably not, but one of the best games ever? I can't help but agree.
#4 Posted by amiman23 (21 posts) -
I don't like playing as an alcoholic. My parents were alcoholics and they were ****'* up.
#5 Posted by green_abobo (1287 posts) -
you forgot drug addict. he does at least try to sober up. give the guy a break. lets see how good anyone holds up after every woman they ever cared about is dead. cant say as though i blame him really.
#6 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -
Actually he succeeds at sobering up. He only drinks in barely more than half the game if that. The game has 14 chapters. At the start of chapter 7 he vows to go sober. So far that's 6 chapters drunk. In chapter 8 we're back in New Jersey, he's not shown drinking but it's back when he still was, so I'll give you that one. That's 7 chapters drunk. Chapter 11 is a flashback to Panama where he's clearly drinking and blaming himself for it. That's 8 chapters drunk, and 6 sober, but considering how short the early chapters are and long the later ones are, is pretty much 50/50. It also has an ending that shows him looking completely dried out and happy for a change. I don't call that just trying to sober up. Why this Max takes so much flack when previous Max's were so easily haunted and lured is beyond me. This is the first Max with some real balls. @Condor, Funny you should say comic book because I used to use that term to describe MP 1&2's cut/load scenes then found out technically they're storyboards, so I've been running with that. I do like the cutscenes actually, and much of the humor in them, I just don't like the flashy effects and after seeing them 3 times or more, I tend to want to skip through them. What's even more frustrating is many you can skip at some point, but only small segments and I keep forgetting where so I keep tapping the Enter key sometimes. It's also one of the biggest complaints of the neg user reviews on Metacritic. Methinks had they made them fully skippable they'd have catered to both crowds and sold a lot more copies. Better yet make the cutscenes fully engine rendered vs half rendered, half BINK video, and make it so you can toggle the flashy effects on or off. Despite the more action movie gameplay and dialog vs the novel-like style of the previous two, I think that alone would have opened it up much more to a wider, more receptive audience.
#7 Posted by ronaldmcreagan (244 posts) -

You can skip the cutscenes on your second playthough. It's only on your first playthrough are you forced to watch them. Most games these days are designed like this.

#8 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

You can skip the cutscenes on your second playthough. It's only on your first playthrough are you forced to watch them. Most games these days are designed like this.ronaldmcreagan

You can only skip bits and pieces here and there, the bulk of many if not most cutscenes cannot be skipped even after first play through.

#9 Posted by aduasz (2 posts) -
Everyone, please! Don't be ridiculous. This is far away from Max Payne. It is a good action-game without the breathtaking story in the background. 9.0? What for? "Great writing, voice acting, and cutscene presentation" It's full of clichés, the story is rather ambiguous. Something went wrong here and my heart is broken. It's a constant hack'n slash Best Game Ever? Tsk* Definitely not!
#10 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

It's a constant hack'n slash...aduasz

Uh, last I checked it still had guns. :roll:

Not a surprising comment from the typical MP3 hating trolls though, they don't seem to have a clue what they're talking about.

#11 Posted by aduasz (2 posts) -

[QUOTE="aduasz"]It's a constant hack'n slash...Frag_Maniac

Not a surprising comment from the typical MP3 hating trolls though, they don't seem to have a clue what they're talking about.

I'm done commenting. Especially to you to an anti-troll, marketing protector http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7989584/on-rockstar-games-max-payne-3
#12 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

"Anti-troll marketing protector"? LOL, that's rich. What do you call people that actually have a shred of respect for well made games, Nazis?

At least you got the troll part right, it's important you know your place in life, even if acting like a anarchist assigned to internet duty is a bit childish.

#13 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -
[QUOTE="Frag_Maniac"]

[QUOTE="aduasz"]It's a constant hack'n slash...aduasz

I'm done commenting. Especially to you to an anti-troll, marketing protector http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7989584/on-rockstar-games-max-payne-3

Its early in the morning for me, but did he actually just call himself a troll? haha
#14 Posted by allalchenini (1 posts) -
i agree with u man
#15 Posted by Sarijon (414 posts) -

Having not played MP 1&2 I was drawn to 3 purely on the fact that it was a R* game in a similar third person style of RDR. Having loved RDR I was confident that this would be as good a game. However while it certainly is a game worthy of your money "best game ever" might be stretching the boundarys somewhat. The SP is decent enough but I did tend to find the constant shoot/dodge style of the game a bit tedious that on 1st play through (on well hard) I could only play a couple of chapters at a time due to the repetitious of it all, aside from the incredulous number of drug running gangsters that are willing to die at the end of Max's barrel. Given the number of modes that are designed for game replay (or trophy whoring) it is totally unforgivable that the cut scenes are unskippable; especially as so many are so long. The graphics are excellent and the merge from cut scene to game play is just totally brilliant however the reverb/drunkenness shuffle of the picture is a touch of a nuisance and does get tiresome after a while.

SP aside, the MP is just one god dam frustrating mess, with constant dropout issues, freezing and character sticking i.e. not letting go of grenade, RPG 2 second responsive, guns not firing. Aside from this the character quite regularly does something opposite to what you want him to do. The respawn is all so totally frustrating when players you have just blasted regularly spawn next or nearby you - especially when respawns occur behind you in an area you have just cleared! Having said all of the above, when the MP does work it is very enjoyable affairs just expect a lot of frustration and screen watching just to get there as the loading is long! Given how few people are on line compared to when it launched there are a lot of players out there that agree!

This is by far away the perfection that is RDR but it certainly has a lot of good points "Best Game Ever/Game of the year" - Nah, don't think so!