A game full of cliches and lacking research about its plot.

#1 Posted by Raoh_ken_oh (2 posts) -

Despite the gameplay and graphics?I´m here only to express my discontentment with the story and the game environment. It´s a game full of cliches about Brazil, set in a city that has nothing to do with São Paulo, and that only collaborate to spread prejudices and the old wrong idea  that those who don´t know Brazil already have: Brazil = samba, soccer, favela e violence... and lots of swearing.

It´s the same as taking New York and resembling to the worst and poor part of the USA and saying that all Americans are George Bush.

As I can say, the scenario looks like a mix of the worst part from the current cities: Rio de Janeiro, São Luiz(because of some stilts in the poor region, from where the population is already been removed to regular houses given by the government), and some cities from the Amazonas State. As I said, it has nothing to do with São Paulo...I think they watched too much "Elite Squad" (related to Rio)

The Tietê river in São Paulo is not in the middle of the forest...it´s actually a canalized river that passes through the city, surrounded by concrete blocks ( http://www.infoescola.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/rio-tietê.jpg ) .The tietê river in the game is so wide and in the middle of the forest that it could only be the amazon river, which is far away from the State of São Paulo.

The favelas in the game are much more like the Rio de Janeiro favelas...but even worse, like a deep xithole.

The game is good...but if Rockstar was intending to do a game like that, why not giving the city a fictional name, as they seems to know sh1t about Brazil. They did that in GTA, where many cities resembles to real cities from USA.

Also some characters have a spanish accent...while some of them really speak portuguese like the people from favela. It made me laugh a lot! I also laugh a lot in the part where some kids are playing soccer and their mom scream swearing and 8itching

It´s a good game, full of violence, but rockstar should have cared more about researching the city which they are trying to represent in the game. The game only transmits prejudices, reinforcing a bad reputation that Brazilians like me fights to prevent.

I cant give it a 9 because rockstar really disappointed in those aspects, and because I wasn't born kicking a ball- as Max generalizes about all brazilians in the game. Some parts of the plot are really dumb, and anyone who´s not a empty head would take some of the game ridicularizations as a personal threat to the country image.

......It stills a funny game to play, although the fact that even the main character doesn't resemble the old Max, and the lack of comicbook aspect from the previous games.

To end...I don´t need an American savior, and I hate soccer, I know it´s a game, but bring me back the old good fiction or something that don´t mock my country so badly, cuz I still shocked from the image it sells.

Sorry about my english...

#2 Posted by blastmaster2k2 (382 posts) -

You're right, if it was an accurate account of Brazil it would have had a lot more homosexuals.

#3 Posted by rigzzsy (349 posts) -

lawl

#4 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

I'm sure you're right about some of that, esp the accents, but I don't think the level design regarding the favela and river are as far off as you make it sound. I've seen pics of that river. Some are very urban looking where it goes through the city, others very rural looking with lots of foliage. Just because the game has a level on that river doesn't mean it has to be the urban part of it.

I've also seen pics and videos of Sao Paulo favelas, and some of the images as far as shack construction, graphiti, etc, are very close to what the game shows. As far as the depiction of violence though, it's a fictional story obviously, so of course it's over sensationalized, but then it's also well known that there are lots of drugs and violence in Brazilian favelas.

As far as soccer, if you're a native, full blooded Brazilian, why would you even call it that? Would you not say football, or futebol? Maybe it's just your atypical lack of enthusiasm for it in a country that practically worships it. I don't think it's really a stretch to say it''s the national sport down there with most kids spending a lot of time playing it. They've even emphasized using it in schools to enhance the students experience.

This all sounds to me like you are too far above Sao Paulo's 34% poverty line to have really poked your nose in a lot of favelas down there. You've probably only seen the nicer ones. I mean how many people in Sao Paulo that have real jobs and houses or apartments spend any real time getting to know the real poor people down there? If they did the poverty level might be much less than over a third of the city. You've already made it clear you don't even have any respect for the simple, affordable sport the poor play down there. It's not like they can afford polo ponies.

#6 Posted by Raoh_ken_oh (2 posts) -

I'm sure you're right about some of that, esp the accents, but I don't think the level design regarding the favela and river are as far off as you make it sound. I've seen pics of that river. Some are very urban looking where it goes through the city, others very rural looking with lots of foliage. Just because the game has a level on that river doesn't mean it has to be the urban part of it.

I've also seen pics and videos of Sao Paulo favelas, and some of the images as far as shack construction, graphiti, etc, are very close to what the game shows. As far as the depiction of violence though, it's a fictional story obviously, so of course it's over sensationalized, but then it's also well known that there are lots of drugs and violence in Brazilian favelas.

As far as soccer, if you're a native, full blooded Brazilian, why would you even call it that? Would you not say football, or futebol? Maybe it's just your atypical lack of enthusiasm for it in a country that practically worships it. I don't think it's really a stretch to say it''s the national sport down there with most kids spending a lot of time playing it. They've even emphasized using it in schools to enhance the students experience.

This all sounds to me like you are too far above Sao Paulo's 34% poverty line to have really poked your nose in a lot of favelas down there. You've probably only seen the nicer ones. I mean how many people in Sao Paulo that have real jobs and houses or apartments spend any real time getting to know the real poor people down there? If they did the poverty level might be much less than over a third of the city. You've already made it clear you don't even have any respect for the simple, affordable sport the poor play down there. It's not like they can afford polo ponies.

Frag_Maniac
1 Ok,everything you´ve seen about São Paulo is on the internet, you don´t live here. Even some websites talking about favelas in São Paulo uses images from another "complexos" (if you want me to use our terminology) from another city . 2 I called it soccer, because I´m talking with people from the US, the country which I suppose the majority of those who access this forum are from. I´ve been working as a police officer for the government since 2007 when I got my degree in Law and was admited at the Policia Civil after a tender procedure. I don´t belong to the Policia Militar, or it´s special squads (BOPE, GATE, ROTAM, ROTA), they´re more directly involved in confrontation, my job is to work under a more restricted jurisdiction, and under command of the police chief, "Delegado", as we call here. ...so it´s is more related to investigations.I suppose I know a little bit more about my federation unity (estate) than foreigners that haven´t even visited it. This game has been in to the NEWS here by the way it represented São Paulo...and by the way it confused the favelas from Rio and São Paulo..and also because of the representation of the Tiete River (even it´s non "urban" extension is near the roads the give access to São Paulo, nothing like in the game. http://g1.globo.com/tecnologia/noticia/2012/06/max-payne-3-mostra-uma-versao-bizarra-da-cidade-de-sao-paulo.html (Refered as "BIZARRE VERSION OF SÃO PAULO") It says: "Jeronimo Barrera, vice president of development at Rockstar, "did not answer the question about why the city of São Paulo in the game is so different from real" (used google translation here) I knew I would be mocked here for posting this on a forum where most of users are teenagers and foreigners who already have a really wrong Ideia from Brazil...cuz that´s the image which has been sold over the years...Many people here have the Ideia of all american police officers being fat lazy guys eating donuts and farting instead of doing their job, I know many of em wouldn´t like to know that this image is almost admited as truth over the world because of comedy shows and hollywood .The same way we don´t like to have that image sold...cuz it is something we fight everyday to fix ...to unbind that bad ideia and to ban corrupted agents from the corporação and also about the image of the whole country. I didn´t mean any offenses, I just got pissed of, cuz it really is stressfull to work hard and end having your image and from the place you belong sold as crap to the whole word. I just would appreciate it more if they considered some more respect by using ficticious name, cuz we know, actually that many games are trying to approach reality and to represent it.
#7 Posted by Raoh_ken_oh (2 posts) -

You're right, if it was an accurate account of Brazil it would have had a lot more homosexuals.

blastmaster2k2
Yeah, including a character representing you and the review from your beloved Carolyn Petit. (With all respect to her as a transexual and to her opinions about the game)
#8 Posted by Raoh_ken_oh (2 posts) -

more articles about the "bizarre"version from São Paulo

http://www.gamevicio.com/i/noticias/109/109061-max-payne-3-a-sao-paulo-carioca/index.html

http://www.kotaku.com.br/jiu-jitsu-bossa-nova-e-liberdade-poetica-max-payne-3-e-sua-sao-paulo-carioca/

They made researches in São Paulo, but seems like they discarded it and used actors with carioca accent, spanish accent and carioca ambientation.

Also São Paulo is known by its rivalry with Rio de Janeiro, which make it even worse for cariocas and paulistas to have their cities mixed into one.

May sound as over-refinement for some, but for some gamers it matters. It is also knowledge for those who couldn´t visit Brazil yet. You won´t get eaten alive here.

#9 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

LOL, seriously, you need to get over yourself. You sound like the ultimate hypocrite. On the one hand you're all pissed about misrepresentation. On the other you think nothing of tearing down your own national sport. Not surprising you're a cop, the ones there don't seem to care about those in poverty, whether they're just regular cops, special squads or military types. I doubt it's hard to get a job as a cop there, because most don't want the job, so don't flatter yourself.

The comment I made on the river was specifcially in refuting your claim that it is surrounded by concrete like a canal or aqueduct. That is only in the city and the game with it's heavy fog effects doesn't even show enough of it to clearly depict how they are representing it's banks. As for the favelas, I've seen not just pics but actual video shot on location that shows some of the favelas are indeed very slummish, which stands to reason because Sao Paulo is the largest city in the nation.

What's most absurd though is you act like you're on a crusade against this game's representation of Sao Paulo, yet you say you like the game. Clearly your gaming addiction and thrill of cyber killing takes precedence over any cause you claim to be supporting. Another laughably absurd comment is your associating anyone responding here as teenage foreigners, yet you're the so called mature cop playing video games and acting like a foreigner in some ways in your own damn country.

I happen to be 54, I'm betting I'm old enough to be your daddy, god forbid. You'd have been fine if you'd just not gone overboard in such a hypocritical way and accepted that games are games, but still, I doubt this game is any worse a representation of your city and your people as say Rockstar's San Andreas is of black Americans in LA, which got flamed btw too. More likely it's that some people living in some areas just can't deal with the truth about themselves and their environment when someone uses a bit of exaggeration of the reality.

#10 Posted by Raoh_ken_oh (2 posts) -

LOL, seriously, you need to get over yourself. You sound like the ultimate hypocrite. On the one hand you're all pissed about misrepresentation. On the other you think nothing of tearing down your own national sport. Not surprising you're a cop, the ones there don't seem to care about those in poverty, whether they're just regular cops, special squads or military types. I doubt it's hard to get a job as a cop there, because most don't want the job, so don't flatter yourself.

The comment I made on the river was specifcially in refuting your claim that it is surrounded by concrete like a canal or aqueduct. That is only in the city and the game with it's heavy fog effects doesn't even show enough of it to clearly depict how they are representing it's banks. As for the favelas, I've seen not just pics but actual video shot on location that shows some of the favelas are indeed very slummish, which stands to reason because Sao Paulo is the largest city in the nation.

What's most absurd though is you act like you're on a crusade against this game's representation of Sao Paulo, yet you say you like the game. Clearly your gaming addiction and thrill of cyber killing takes precedenceover any cause you claim to be supporting. Another laughably absurd comment is your associating anyone responding here as teenage foreigners, yet you're the so called mature cop playing video games and acting like a foreigner in some ways in your own damn country.

I happen to be 54, I'm betting I'm old enough to be your daddy, god forbid. You'd have been fine if you'd just not gone overboard in such a hypocritical way and accepted that games are games, but still, I doubt this game is any worse a representation of your city and your people as say Rockstar's San Andreas is of black Americans in LA, which got flamed btw too. More likely it's that some people living in some areas just can't deal with the truth about themselves and their environment when someone uses a bit of exaggeration of the reality.Frag_Maniac

I never meant to flatter myself about being into the police, and you´re completly wrong again about something you don´t know and pretend to. You don´t even know how brazilians get into the public, or government related jobs.

Also about the teenagers, I was speaking about having enough maturity to discuss opinions without being a troll...and I said "foreigners" because of the possibility of some of them getting a distorted view of a reality they don´t know (countries they haven´t visited).

And where did I teared down "my" national sport? Did I elect it as "MY" national sport? I don´t like it...as many people don´t like MMA or any other genre. One of the reasons I don´t like it is because of fights between "organized" supporters in the stadium, that I myself had to work one once helping to contain... and also by a lack of family encouragement I never got inretested into it . Every human being is free to have their own opinion, and many things in their lifes lead them to think the way they do, and I don´t get angry because of that.

I was just enjoying my vacation playing some games, including that one, and found some parts of the plots very disrespectful, if you could understand portuguese you would probably feel a bit tired after you end a game full of prejudices and insults even on the name of stores and merchandises related to your culture, and a game that elects a foreigner as an example of conduct after telling a that a whole officer corporation is useless and corrupt.They really exceeded themselves in some parts. But it´s easy to you to talk, because you´re far away from here, both physically and in knowledge of the facts, and you also don´t belong to the category, so you dont have any pride about it, instead, you don´t even know what respect is, even for someone who you dont know.

You can write fictions, you can talk about imaginary worlds and characteres...But when someone give it a NAME (in that case a country and city, and everything related to it) it can cause many impressions, everybody knows the television does it, for bad purposes one famouse people or about facts, to get audience etc. And would that be a reason for me to support it? Never! That can even cause moral damages to the person in case, and that´s something personal, only the person knows the real dimension of it. Just think of it..... if you work.... on having your whole category being pictured as a few bad workers. I´m gonna show that game from some friends of the other departments...and I´m sure some will laugh...and some will get really sad about it.

And yes, trying to be as neutral as possible, I can say that there is a good gameplay. What I criticized from the beginning was the plot and the ambientantion reliability, and not any other aspects of the game, if you do not know how to dinstinguish it... is your problem...but I don´t see such an absurd on that.

Games are games, but it express opinions and can form distorted opinions, just like tv, and not everyone go after to see if it is everything truth or not... You can stay with your videos on youtube about favelas and your opinion about the game being reliable to it, and I will be back to reality when work calls, two distinct worlds. And maybe you still think I´m lying, even when I´m sending articles about what people are discussing on wrong view of São Paulo at the game, or that I can´t face reality...That doesn't matter, because I´ll be there doing the same things, and working at the community, and doing a good job, contributing to my country... so maybe in the future they can stop doing games telling brazilian cops are scumbags.

Just after posting this thread I momentarily regretted it, because I knew I would get lot´s of bad responses. But a few minutes later I decided to keep it, because, as I said maybe some unwared gamers would like to know the other version. I have the right to express my point of view, as you have yours, to criticize Just expected it would be different...but what can you expect over the internet?

I know my english isn´t accurate but at least I practiced it. :-]

#11 Posted by DonnellW706 (37 posts) -
You remind me of an idiot child screaming in a hospital. Your clumsy attempts at assailing Sam and Dan Houser for their use of cliches in a video game makes about as much sense as your bastardization of the word "ridiculous." That you've chosen to gloss over how the Rockstar team that were assigned with surveying Brasil and its culture ultimately faced a number of kidnapping attempts and robberies illustrate a bias that's too comical to take serious.

Despite the gameplay and graphics?I´m here only to express my discontentment with the story and the game environment. It´s a game full of cliches about Brazil, set in a city that has nothing to do with São Paulo, and that only collaborate to spread prejudices and the old wrong idea  that those who don´t know Brazil already have: Brazil = samba, soccer, favela e violence... and lots of swearing.

It´s the same as taking New York and resembling to the worst and poor part of the USA and saying that all Americans are George Bush.

As I can say, the scenario looks like a mix of the worst part from the current cities: Rio de Janeiro, São Luiz(because of some stilts in the poor region, from where the population is already been removed to regular houses given by the government), and some cities from the Amazonas State. As I said, it has nothing to do with São Paulo...I think they watched too much "Elite Squad" (related to Rio)

The Tietê river in São Paulo is not in the middle of the forest...it´s actually a canalized river that passes through the city, surrounded by concrete blocks ( http://www.infoescola.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/rio-tietê.jpg ) .The tietê river in the game is so wide and in the middle of the forest that it could only be the amazon river, which is far away from the State of São Paulo.

The favelas in the game are much more like the Rio de Janeiro favelas...but even worse, like a deep xithole.

The game is good...but if Rockstar was intending to do a game like that, why not giving the city a fictional name, as they seems to know sh1t about Brazil. They did that in GTA, where many cities resembles to real cities from USA.

Also some characters have a spanish accent...while some of them really speak portuguese like the people from favela. It made me laugh a lot! I also laugh a lot in the part where some kids are playing soccer and their mom scream swearing and 8itching

It´s a good game, full of violence, but rockstar should have cared more about researching the city which they are trying to represent in the game. The game only transmits prejudices, reinforcing a bad reputation that Brazilians like me fights to prevent.

I cant give it a 9 because rockstar really disappointed in those aspects, and because I wasn't born kicking a ball- as Max generalizes about all brazilians in the game. Some parts of the plot are really dumb, and anyone who´s not a empty head would take some of the game ridicularizations as a personal threat to the country image.

......It stills a funny game to play, although the fact that even the main character doesn't resemble the old Max, and the lack of comicbook aspect from the previous games.

To end...I don´t need an American savior, and I hate soccer, I know it´s a game, but bring me back the old good fiction or something that don´t mock my country so badly, cuz I still shocked from the image it sells.

Raoh_ken_oh
#12 Posted by DonnellW706 (37 posts) -
You remind me of an idiot child screaming in a hospital. Your clumsy attempts at assailing Sam and Dan Houser for their use of cliches in a video game makes about as much sense as your bastardization of the word "ridiculous." That you've chosen to gloss over how the Rockstar team that were assigned with surveying Brasil and its culture ultimately faced a number of kidnapping attempts and robberies illustrate a bias that's too comical to take serious.

Raoh_ken_oh
#13 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Just the fact that he goes on a rant about it, then calls the game good, then tries to call out anyone pointing out his immature hypocrasy makes it rather hard to take him serious. It's no wonder a lot of people living in favelas don't have any respect for the cops down there. This guy is so messed up in the head he doesn't even know it.

What's hilarious is it's usually the finger pointing outsiders like Jack Thompson, Al and Tipper Gore, etc, whom go on a tyrade trying to change what we're allowed to see in video games, but this guy actually thinks he can do it as a gamer himself, and a cop no less. I also have a hard time buying that if there was as much stink about the game in their press he didn't know of it's content before buying it.

Time to get off your high horse and admit your city and your whole country have some serious issues. If it's not deforestation it's inner city crime, polarization between rich and poor, etc, etc. You're just an oddball that rides the fence between graphic sensationalism and censorship, yet you have the gall to think you can call the shots. Sorry pal, you lost that right when you bought, played, and enjoyed the game. Doesn't really matter what parts you didn't enjoy because you, yes, you, contributed to the making of it by patronizing them.

#14 Posted by Raoh_ken_oh (2 posts) -
I´ve just learned 1 more thing in life, it is impossible to stablish a discussion over the internet without being ridiculed and disrespected... I never said my country doesn´t have issues, but you already bought the ideia of the bad part, more than the good part about the country. I would be really hypocrite if I said that, but no, I said to you I also help in a community as a volunteer, so I know the good and bad parts, and all countries have that. And you are the twisted minded here. You are the one pointing your finger to my face criticizing me, without even knowing me and using some small points of my arguments to make me sound like a retarded and to demoralize the cops of my country, just as I woundn´t do about the ones in your, who also have a really bad stereotyped image here. I just came answering in my own defense after you did that, but you keep doing it. If the point is to generalize as you do...I hope rockstar keeps doing games like that to spread the bad ideias about United States citizens also, people you belong to. ...The image your country sells is as an economy, but when you take a single american narrow minded, with education aimed at its own navel...you start to figure out history and why's your country so "loved" over the world, and why they think they are world heroes or can keep ridiculing the others as you do. You were built that self confident and with that snub nose to talk to people like you do. Wish to see what you would think of anything that sells a bad reputation of your job (if you got one). So let´s end it. It is pointless. I´m one guy, trying to say something to many at the other side...And Internet changed peoples mind, now everyone feels like siting in a throne when they´re behind that screen dictating their opinions as rules. I´m not the one on a high horse. Just tried to defend my point of view, but now I won´t post opinions anymore over the internet, and be more cautious to whom I´m talking to, or to what kind of game I´m buying or which company I´m helping when I do that (only because of a sense of morality which many are lacking).
#15 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

LOL, impossible to "stablish" a discussion? Who are you, Ricky Ricardo now? Look, you, not anyone else, started the "finger pointing", and in a very hypocritical way no less. You picked a bad place to do it, and now you're seeing the result of it. If you really wanted to be taken seriously you should have contacted Rockstar direct, along with your little snippets of said Sao Paulo citizen angst, and tried to voice your opinion in way that actually might have been listened to. Not necessarily adhered to, because after all, Rockstar are well within their rights to make the game as they did, and the vast majority have accepted it as is. It may even win Game of the Year 2012. 

Instead you come on a forum of the game, where most people obviously enjoy the game or they wouldn't be here, and expect to be simpathized with,....or wait, no,...on second thought, you admitted you probably wouldn't be taken seriously, so WHY DID YOU EVEN BOTHER? Have you no sense at all? That you foresaw it kinda makes it obvious you knew deep down you'd sound like a radical alarmist (not to mention hypocrite) complaining about it. You even went to the extent of saying you think the game is good. Now most would take that as meaning anything you DIDN'T like about the game was trivial, otherwise, that which you disliked so much would have made you rate the game much less than "good".

I'm curious as to what all those people you say are so angry about this game in Sao Paulo would say to you if you told them you agree with them, but that you still think it's a good game. Clearly you come here to voice your opinion because those extremely angry about it in your area aren't likely gamers at all, otherwise they'd understand freedom of expression in forms of entertainment, just as movie goers do. So once agian, it comes down to you being somewhat of a hypocrite. You want to have your big action shoot em up games to play, but you can't handle the creative freedom they're made with. Then just play something else and get over yourself like I said. Your're like a fly on crap complaining about the stink. :roll:

#16 Posted by Kev_Boy (1527 posts) -

I'll give a serious response. In my opinion, the game isn't trying to accurately portray Brazil, just like Max Payne 1 and 2 portrayed New York in a film noir grim style that isn't accurate either. Max Payne 3 portrays Sao Paulo from a skewed, dark film noir angle.

#17 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

I'll give a serious response. In my opinion, the game isn't trying to accurately portray Brazil, just like Max Payne 1 and 2 portrayed New York in a film noir grim style that isn't accurate either. Max Payne 3 portrays Sao Paulo from a skewed, dark film noir angle.

Kev_Boy

That's kinda the obvious and what I meant by exaggerated. Games genrerally aren't mean to be documentaries. No one would play them if they were, just like no one would read a fiction novel if they weren't written colorfully. As I said San Andreas got flamed by some people too, but it was mainly people on the outside looking in, rather than people playing and enjoying the game.

The topic had a serious tone until the author refused to admit to the nonsense of liking a game he claims to be offended by. If I were so thin skinned as to be offended by any piece of entertainment that contained what I viewed as slight political, social or geographical inaccuracies, I'd never read, play games or watch movies. It's just part of creative control over works of art that should be expected. 

#18 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -
I'm going to start off with a stereotype because I think its appropriate. It doesn't surprise me at all that you come off as stupid as you do, as you are a police officer.
The game only transmits prejudices, reinforcing a bad reputation that Brazilians like me fights to preventRaoh_ken_oh
First off, you transmit more prejudices than the game. So based on what you said there, you surely must believe any other video game that is set in a real location, surely must be true to form in every way shape or form? Correct? I mean, you are right. In New York City, the subway stations are filled with mobsters who just hang around carrying firearms, also AAA drug addicts (heroin, meth, etc.) are on every street corner, every apartment building, every bathroom in new york city. I mean, they set it in new york city, so that must mean everything is authentic, right? I mean thats what you said. And as you believe since I post on this forum, I'am American, which according to you, means I'm stupid. [QUOTE="Raoh_ken_oh"]I hope rockstar keeps doing games like that to spread the bad ideias about United States citizens also, people you belong to. ...The image your country sells is as an economy, but when you take a single american narrow minded, with education aimed at its own navel...you start to figure out history and why's your country so "loved" over the world, and why they think they are world heroes or can keep ridiculing the others as you do. You were built that self confident and with that snub nose to talk to people like you do. Wish to see what you would think of anything that sells a bad reputation of your job (if you got one).

I hope they continue to make FICTIONAL games also, I love fiction, its entertaining, because you can't take it too seriously, and you can just enjoy the game. Oh wait... thats right, you believe if one part of fiction is based on reality, the rest of it must be. Hey you guys ever see escape from new york? Did you guys know that movie actually came from the future? Yea, it came in a time machine, and its actually a documentary. In the future New York city will be completely controlled by gangs. I mean, they made the setting New York city, and they based their sets on NYC, so surely that must mean the rest is fact, correct? You think Americans don't know that every country in the world hates them? You pretend like its news. I think its funny how many morons there are that act like they are some anti-american hero for saying things like that. Oh golly gee, you sure hit them where it hurts! Hear that guys? You Americans aren't well liked by other countries! Did you know that when Americans go travelling to other countries, its common that they wear Canadian flags? Surely if they did that, they would know how other countries feel about them. [QUOTE="Raoh_ken_oh"] "Jeronimo Barrera, vice president of development at Rockstar, "did not answer the question about why the city of São Paulo in the game is so different from real" (used google translation here)

You know why he didn't answer that question? Because only the most incompetent of morons would actually ask a question like that. Why on earth would anyone assume that an action game or movie, that is clearly fiction, believe that it is in fact reality. Oh right, stupid foreigners that have no idea what the entertainment industry is. And take every single opportunity to defend their country no matter how stupid it makes them look.
Many people here have the Ideia of all american police officers being fat lazy guys eating donuts and farting instead of doing their job, I know many of em wouldn´t like to know that this image is almost admited as truth over the world because of comedy shows and hollywood .Raoh_ken_oh
Thats because it is the truth. Thats like saying its prejudice that Canadians are polite. They are polite (to your face). I live in Canada, and its extremely rare to run into someone who isn't polite in Canada. Like the US is known for their Walmarts, Canada is known for their Tim Hortons which is a donut fast food place. There are two kinds of uniform you see in Tim Hortons, the people serving you, and the police officers sitting down choking down donuts. Just because its prejudice doesn't mean its not true. Every single morning I go to Tim Hortons, I see cops snacking away. You assume that comedy, and hollywood completely make up their jokes off the top of their heads. You are giving them far too much credit, any jokes about police officers are based on reality. Just like how I figured you were stupid already, and then you said you were a cop, and I thought to myself "Go figure". It doesn't surprise me that you don't see how stupid you look here. It doesn't surprise me that you don't see how you are wrong. It doesn't surprise me you assume you are treated this way because were all American (I'am not by the way, incase your small cop brain couldn't figure that out). Tell me, what are the intellect requirements to become a police officer where you are from? The ability to put a sentence together?
I didn´t mean any offenses, I just got pissed of, cuz it really is stressfull to work hard and end having your image and from the place you belong sold as crap to the whole word. I just would appreciate it more if they considered some more respect by using ficticious name, cuz we know, actually that many games are trying to approach reality and to represent it.Raoh_ken_oh
So then you can understand the frustration that you constantly talk about how we don't understand where you are from, because our action movies and games are loosely based on reality. They are not a documentary. And frankly, the reason why you are getting such a negative response, is because you believe fiction is non-fiction. You remember when you said, its prejudice that Max Payne says in the game that kids grew up playing soccer, because you didn't? You weren't born in a favela, you idiot, so of course you didn't.
#19 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kev_Boy"]

Frag_Maniac

That's kinda the obvious and what I meant by exaggerated. Games genrerally aren't mean to be documentaries.

Woah, woah, woah, you are telling me, if I pick up a prostitute in NYC, my health isn't going to go up?

#20 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -
You weren't born in a favela, you idiot, so of course you didn't.CondorCalabasas
EXACTLY, he talks like he knows the favela life, but clearly he doesn't. Maybe if he had to live in one of their worst ones for several months he'd have a clue. He talks about doing volunteer work, but I get the impression it's the all too common feel good thing more than sincerity. I am rather poor and have done some volunteer work helping cook meals for the poor. Some of the most self righteous disrespectful people I have ever met are church members that talk smack about the street people they're claiming to help. If it's not some snooty old bag that gossips about how she has to keep an eye on them when the food is served, it's a guy training to become a preacher by, get this, getting to know street people by spending ONE night walking the slums and talking to them, then afterward talking smack about how stubborn they are. Oh but these people don't gossip, no, the bible says you shouldn't do that. Seems to me they think their volunteer work somehow entitles them to a double standard, along with now and then smack talk behind their backs. There's also a guy in our apt building whom I don't associate with anymore because he is blatantly disrespectful, whom invited me to a Sat gaming night/pizza party at his church once. At the end the homeless people the church were giving temp shelter to came in to eat and he wanted to stay there and stuff his face more, even suggesting I should. When I said I'd had plenty I was looking at one of the homeless and I could see in his eyes that he understood what I did, that going to church doesn't automatically make you a decent person and no one, I mean NO ONE should be looked down on for their poverty. If anything the bible, if you really choose to follow it, makes that clear.
#21 Posted by Raoh_ken_oh (2 posts) -

[QUOTE="CondorCalabasas"]You weren't born in a favela, you idiot, so of course you didn't.Frag_Maniac
EXACTLY, he talks like he knows the favela life, but clearly he doesn't. Maybe if he had to live in one of their worst ones for several months he'd have a clue. He talks about doing volunteer work, but I get the impression it's the all too common feel good thing more than sincerity. I am rather poor and have done some volunteer work helping cook meals for the poor. Some of the most self righteous disrespectful people I have ever met are church members that talk smack about the street people they're claiming to help. If it's not some snooty old bag that gossips about how she has to keep an eye on them when the food is served, it's a guy training to become a preacher by, get this, getting to know street people by spending ONE night walking the slums and talking to them, then afterward talking smack about how stubborn they are. Oh but these people don't gossip, no, the bible says you shouldn't do that. Seems to me they think their volunteer work somehow entitles them to a double standard, along with now and then smack talk behind their backs. There's also a guy in our apt building whom I don't associate with anymore because he is blatantly disrespectful, whom invited me to a Sat gaming night/pizza party at his church once. At the end the homeless people the church were giving temp shelter to came in to eat and he wanted to stay there and stuff his face more, even suggesting I should. When I said I'd had plenty I was looking at one of the homeless and I could see in his eyes that he understood what I did, that going to church doesn't automatically make you a decent person and no one, I mean NO ONE should be looked down on for their poverty. If anything the bible, if you really choose to follow it, makes that clear.

You guys are the real joke. I probably got mental problems by doing this...but I´m the real troll here...and I don´t give a xit for what you think...I´m not even from Brazil LOL. All I wanted was to see the circus burning with some crazy story. But now I got tired of acting...cuz this guy is really boring....

Maybe I should write a book...or go the the psychiatrist and invite Frag Maniac to come with me..But I think he would refuse...he is too smart for that.

So go back to your games and snacks.... And you Frag_Maniac...Jesus...get a life dude, stop trying to tell the word how experient you are in life and comparing people with your tv characteres and personalities. You talk in a way that I doubt anyone can stand a long conversation with you...full of rhetoric, contradictions and fallacies...You suck man, so full of yourself, feeling so righ about everything you think. Booooriiing. You sound like you´re some kind of truth dictator.

By the way, the only thing I didn´t lie about is that I´m on vacation...I´m a bit bored for sure...and I visited São Paulo twice and Rio once...I visited a favela there, and went to a Funk party...really crazy.... there I also met some guys that used to be volunteers...and I´m sure they were very different from your church friends Fraggot Maniac...maybe your devotee friends sucks (if they exist) because they are hypocritical liars who invent stories as you me...and do that just to relieve one's conscience... not by altruism..

I´m from Argentina...and did I tell you our biggest rival in football  is Brazil? (Di you Like that Maniac? I said Football! and, I play it every sunday morning) But I don´t see any problems with that. I´m already sure Messi is the greatest living player...And yet...I have many brazilians friends on many forums about animes and games, that´s also how I´m informed about many things going on there.

About Max payne..it rly sucks, cant play it again, I'm lucky that I din´t buy the game also....the first 2 were much better.

Now good night ladies and gentlemens, you won't even see me here anymore....se how lucky you are? Now count in the clock how many time you lost of your life reading all this post and writing pissed answers and all this bullxit trying to teach me a lesson ....and think how you could use that time with something usefull in your life... and not like I did...just for some weird kind of fun.  If that wasn´t funny for you, just take some time and think how many guys like me have lots of fun doing this over many places... That way, maybe you stop loosing your life here.

Bye,

#22 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Yeah the only thing that makes sense is your having lied about everything. Apparently you get your kicks pretending to be a big man on the internet because your e-penis makes the real one look like a toothpick. You're a sad sack o crap kid.

#23 Posted by Raoh_ken_oh (2 posts) -

Yeah the only thing that makes sense is your having lied about everything. Apparently you get your kicks pretending to be a big man on the internet because your e-penis makes the real one look like a toothpick. You're a sad sack o crap kid.

Frag_Maniac
LOL...you are such a badboy...your words almost destroyed my feelings...I think I´m gonna cry...tears going down while I laugh.
#24 Posted by CondorCalabasas (654 posts) -
and think how you could use that time with something usefull in your life... Raoh_ken_oh
The irony.
#25 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

[QUOTE="Raoh_ken_oh"]and think how you could use that time with something usefull in your life... CondorCalabasas
The irony.

No kidding, none of what he's done here is worthy of forum space, yet he's still pretedning he's not the immature one.

What you've done is well below mere crying kid, you've thrown a fake tantrum like a toddler in a shopping mall just to get attention. 

#26 Posted by linkocarina (1151 posts) -

Despite the gameplay and graphics?I´m here only to express my discontentment with the story and the game environment. It´s a game full of cliches about Brazil, set in a city that has nothing to do with São Paulo, and that only collaborate to spread prejudices and the old wrong idea that those who don´t know Brazil already have: Brazil = samba, soccer, favela e violence... and lots of swearing.

It´s the same as taking New York and resembling to the worst and poor part of the USA and saying that all Americans are George Bush.Raoh_ken_oh

You haven't seen much of Max Payne 1 or 2, have you? They take New York city and depict it as crime infested and corrupt. It's what video games do. They skew reality to best represent the main themes of the game. Did you expect a game that have Max sit in a chair, pull out a pipe and read to you the history of São Paulo? The São Paulo in Max Payne 3 is a caricature, as are the many of the characters. They are larger than life exaggerations, necessary to provide a compelling story in a fictional medium.

#27 Posted by rigzzsy (349 posts) -

lawl

rigzzsy

yep

#28 Posted by FlankerDFMax (1777 posts) -

It's a game where your character has survived being shot how many times? Can take on hundreds of enemies and survive, and bring down large conspiracies of powerful people and organizations. Can slow down time to aim accurately while doing all the above.

But, you're disappointed in Sao Paulo not being portrayed more sensitively, and realistically?

I feel your pain (where's my meds?).

#29 Posted by yearssomuch (54 posts) -
Hahaha. So what, the New Jersey levels are supposed to give us the idea that everyone in Hoboken is a gun-toting guido juicehead that will shoot you in the face for looking at them wrong? It's a fictional story set in a real location, but not every action depicted has to be representative of the location that the game is set. Every action depicted is depicted by a FICTIONAL CHARACTER, and these FICTIONAL CHARACTERS are driven by FICTIONAL MOTIVATIONS. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with where the game is set. But that makes too much sense, huh? Stop crying.
#30 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Just wanted to jump in here and say that I've seen posts on other forums from a couple more Sao Paulo residents and they don't complain at all about the game's exaggerations of the city and happenings within it. It's a game and they understand that, and as far as they're concerend it's well made.