ME3 You Aren't Alone... Anymore

#1 Posted by Veranor2 (6 posts) -
You have company. AC3, one of the most anticipated games of the year (like you were), has pulled a ME3. Those who have seen the ending might agree/disagree, but for me, it WAS that bad. Is this a trend? Because if so, I will continue to youtube other people, despite how bad they play, playing walkthroughs of these games and save my money for other things... like beer.
#2 Posted by blindbsnake (14 posts) -

I heard is bad but there's several differences that we cannot forget. The story structure is different in the 2 games.

I did not play AC3 yet but i heard that this end is similar to others in AC history.

What i mean is that the story has not ended yet so we have to wait to the completion of the series to make a real analysis.

ME3 is the end of Shepard Story, the pain is completely different, at least to me. And there's no comparison between Shepard and Desmond.

But I'll admit this, nowadays every game try to put the drama on the end. But the sad thing about that is that dying in the end has become the cliché.

Let´s hope that with time we see a change. Ohh the old days when games were just games and not art.

#3 Posted by Veranor2 (6 posts) -
For me, I see a trend. I don't think the game companies mean to do this. In their minds, its art, and its good. My opinion is that video games are not "art." They are entertainment. If I wanted art, I would go buy a painting to hang up in my house. I wanted something that engages my mind and takes me to a different world, because quite frankly, I think the world we live in sucks for the most part. What happened to the good 'ol days where if you beaten a Mario Bros game, you saved the princess, the devs put a big "Thank You" somewhere in the credits, and hapily ever after? I didn't know that this was so cliche to show the player a sense of accomplishment.
#4 Posted by blindbsnake (14 posts) -

For me, I see a trend. I don't think the game companies mean to do this. In their minds, its art, and its good. My opinion is that video games are not "art." They are entertainment. If I wanted art, I would go buy a painting to hang up in my house. I wanted something that engages my mind and takes me to a different world, because quite frankly, I think the world we live in sucks for the most part. What happened to the good 'ol days where if you beaten a Mario Bros game, you saved the princess, the devs put a big "Thank You" somewhere in the credits, and hapily ever after? I didn't know that this was so cliche to show the player a sense of accomplishment. Veranor2

It was changed, now is "Buy our DLCs". And is art, everything is art to someone, because you can feel emotions with one thing and other people don't. My main problem with ME3 is consistency and the disrespect from the previous story.

I don't know how AC3 will end, but i know that in ME3, the end has no logic. And the sad part is that they just need to do this, an end where you die and the reapers win, another where you win but lose many friends and population, and an end where you win and feel good for saving most people.

The more we think about this,the reality becomes more sad .

#6 Posted by HipHopBeats (2899 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption is another good game with the same cliche ending. ME3 and AC3 are good games but are both victims of 'wanting to appease every gamer' syndrome instead of sticking to what made their predecessors so popular. Unnecessary multiplayer, bad endings with no real payoff for fans who invested time with the franchise and the dreaded 'artistic integrity' with wrapping up the protagonist.

#7 Posted by Sinestro_rage88 (71 posts) -

"Thanks for playing our game. Get ready for DLC in the coming months"

Bobby Kotick once said that the gaming industry is a business not a charity.

Once you buy a game, you know you are getting a property that you don't have all the details for. that's why when you buy a game and don't like it, you cant take it back and get a different game. you get the same title but not a different game.

i was among those severely angered by biowares poor execution of the MASS EFFECT 3 campaign and story. the ending made things worse. but AC3 is actually a joy to me. i am very glad Desmond died. have never liked him and his death didn't matter and if any of you have played all AC games you would know that ubisoft had failed to make us care about desmond or integrate his personal gameplay into ANY OF the games prior to AC3. 

plus AC games are NOT about choice. so really did any of you expect to change the story or have a choice on the ending in AC3? if you did expect to then you have the right to complain or say AC3 has a crappy ending.

bioware messed up with ME3. i wouldn't be surprised if the paid DLC for omega will be better than the actual full game. 

#8 Posted by hhbc1 (195 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption is another good game with the same cliche ending.

HipHopBeats

Whoa.. Hold on there. Red Dead Redemption had one of the best endings I have seen in recent times in any video game. (it's certainly up there with Metal Gear Solid 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4). Thematically it fitted the tone of the game perfectly, it was emotionally evocative and pretty surprising. Rockstar took a huge risk with the RDR ending, and I thought it paid of perfectly, probably because Rockstar games seem to be one of the last video-game publishers that actually put a lot of time and care into their products, rather than EA, who might aswell be making lightbulbs or washing machines, they are just in there buisness for the profit. 

(RDR won numerous game of the year awards and was a pretty fantastic game, which also netted R* a nice little profit. But do you see R* milking thier fans dry, withholding on-disc content to ship it as DLC? Relasing sub-par and rushed sequel-after-sequel to cash-in on it's success?)

#9 Posted by idunnodude (2282 posts) -

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

hhbc1

Whoa.. Hold on there. Red Dead Redemption had one of the best endings I have seen in recent times in any video game. (it's certainly up there with Metal Gear Solid 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4). Thematically it fitted the tone of the game perfectly, it was emotionally evocative and pretty surprising. Rockstar took a huge risk with the RDR ending, and I thought it paid of perfectly, probably because Rockstar games seem to be one of the last video-game publishers that actually put a lot of time and care into their products, rather than EA, who might aswell be making lightbulbs or washing machines, they are just in there buisness for the profit. 

(RDR won numerous game of the year awards and was a pretty fantastic game, which also netted R* a nice little profit. But do you see R* milking thier fans dry, withholding on-disc content to ship it as DLC? Relasing sub-par and rushed sequel-after-sequel to cash-in on it's success?)

i agree, red dead redemption is a perfect example of one of "those endings" done right. it really fit with the game.

#10 Posted by williebazerka (305 posts) -
As long as millions of people are buying the games nothing will change.They care more about money than they do with ME's ending to the story.Millions of sales says to them "what we are doing is working".Let's do more.If you don't like what they are doing stop buying there games.
#11 Posted by SythisTaru (567 posts) -

[QUOTE="hhbc1"]

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

idunnodude

i agree, red dead redemption is a perfect example of one of "those endings" done right. it really fit with the game.

"Machines that turn men into Angels..."  :)

#12 Posted by daviz88 (68 posts) -
James vega looks like donkey kong
#13 Posted by NBAmaster33 (938 posts) -

AC3's ending was certainly a letdown, but it doesn't compare to the incomplete, broken mess of ME3's original ending.  

#14 Posted by dbene (237 posts) -

Am i understanding this right......if you guys don't get your perfect happy "burrito wrapped up" ending...it is not satisfying? Do you not ever get tired of the same old "lived happily ever after " garbage?

Were you also mad that William Wallace was dismembered at the end of Braveheart?

#15 Posted by Leejjohno (14088 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption is another good game with the same cliche ending. ME3 and AC3 are good games but are both victims of 'wanting to appease every gamer' syndrome instead of sticking to what made their predecessors so popular. Unnecessary multiplayer, bad endings with no real payoff for fans who invested time with the franchise and the dreaded 'artistic integrity' with wrapping up the protagonist.

HipHopBeats

It wasn't really cliched in RDR. The way it unfolded you could tell it was going to happen but when it did you realise it was the only outcome to be had for that character. Any other ending would have been trite in that case. Mass Effects endings could have been good if only they carried any of the series themes and consistencies through into them. They didn't.