If You Don't Like Mass Effect 3/Hate Bioware, Why are You Here?

#1 Posted by already832 (25 posts) -

I'm not saying that this board should only be for positive things, but I can't help but wonder why some users hang out on certain boards with the sole intent to let everyone know just how much they dislike the game (and or dev) of the message board that they frequent.

Is there a point?

#2 Posted by oldscooltennis2 (2287 posts) -

I am here because I love Mass Effect. I love everything that Mass Effect was as a game franchise and how it was the first game of its kind. I am here because I care about this game and it pisses me off that Bioware would end it like that. And I am still here because I cant believe Bioware screwed up the extended cuts when a perfect ending was create by the community (I.E. Indocturnation Theory) that they decided not to use to make the same mistake as before. That is why I'm here....

#3 Posted by BlackN9ne (11 posts) -
Thank you!
#4 Posted by r4v3gl0ry (1285 posts) -

If anyone's been sticking around, it's because he or she cares enough about their beloved video game series, the one built over 3 games and the one that deserves the best...

...but I can think of people coming here to throw criticisms and insults for the sake of provoking others or otherwise evoking reactions. Can't say it's not amusing.

#5 Posted by 001011000101101 (3988 posts) -

I am here because I love Mass Effect. I love everything that Mass Effect was as a game franchise and how it was the first game of its kind. I am here because I care about this game and it pisses me off that Bioware would end it like that. And I am still here because I cant believe Bioware screwed up the extended cuts when a perfect ending was create by the community (I.E. Indocturnation Theory) that they decided not to use to make the same mistake as before. That is why I'm here....

oldscooltennis2

Not everyone likes the IT. Actually, many people thinks it's pretty f'ing stupid, including me.

#6 Posted by dahui58 (21562 posts) -

[QUOTE="oldscooltennis2"]

Not everyone likes the IT. Actually, many people thinks it's pretty f'ing stupid, including me.

I have serious worries for anyone who thinks the trash Bioware wrote is less stupid than the IT. The IT makes so much sense, without it the entire ending is just full of plot holes and ugly/lazy mistakes and errors by everyone involved in making the game.
#7 Posted by Vikes88 (19 posts) -

I've said this before, but hey, maybe saying it again will create some interesting discussion.

The way I see it, the game wasn't ours to end. The game was Bioware's to end. Yes, I'm a fan of the idea that they released the extended footage to fill some holes, but I'm glad they didn't fill them all, and I'm glad they didn't radically alter their plot. Anyone can critcize a move after it happens, but the folks at Bioware had to come up with it before hand. They had to gamble, and they had to release it, and they had to stand by it. It was their game, their world, their story, and we were all only along for the ride. If we don't like the way it ended, well... the whole galaxy was about to come to an end. Who are we to be picky about its outcome?

I honestly think what's happened here is that they created such a great series that people put so much time and emotion into that they were taken off-guard. I didn't think Shepard was going to (possibly) die. Then again, I didn't always think Shepard was going to succeed, either. I sure didn't think Ashley would be stranded on a strange planet, but that's what happened. My heart went out to them, but... it wasn't my game to write.

#8 Posted by Vokail (1831 posts) -

Personally I don't see why the indoctrination theory is spot on minus the ending being a dream. The way I see it is that shepard is hallucinating while on the citidel. The anderson / illusive man aren't real. The indoctrination theory fits their ending perfectly if you take away the fact that it's all a dream.

Besides what people point to as evidence of dreaming could easily point to hallucinations as well.

#9 Posted by dahui58 (21562 posts) -

I've said this before, but hey, maybe saying it again will create some interesting discussion.

The way I see it, the game wasn't ours to end. The game was Bioware's to end. Yes, I'm a fan of the idea that they released the extended footage to fill some holes, but I'm glad they didn't fill them all, and I'm glad they didn't radically alter their plot. Anyone can critcize a move after it happens, but the folks at Bioware had to come up with it before hand. They had to gamble, and they had to release it, and they had to stand by it. It was their game, their world, their story, and we were all only along for the ride. If we don't like the way it ended, well... the whole galaxy was about to come to an end. Who are we to be picky about its outcome?

I honestly think what's happened here is that they created such a great series that people put so much time and emotion into that they were taken off-guard. I didn't think Shepard was going to (possibly) die. Then again, I didn't always think Shepard was going to succeed, either. I sure didn't think Ashley would be stranded on a strange planet, but that's what happened. My heart went out to them, but... it wasn't my game to write.

Vikes88
Obviously it's Biowares game, and it's their choice what to put in, and if they want to turn it into a trainwreck that's their perogative. However they made many promises to the fans which they absolutely broken, that is misleading advertising. All this anger and hate is absolutely justified. Some examples of the lies told: - "the ending will not be an A, B, or C choice" (that's EXACTLY what it was!) - "you won't need to play multiplayer" (if you don't play multiplayer your final score is HALVED!) - "choices from all three games will impact your ending" - wrong, it's entirely determined by the last choice and your war assets Plus all three endings where the same yadadadada. The extended cuts made it slightly better, but you can't polish a turd.
#10 Posted by Vokail (1831 posts) -

Personally I felt a good chunk of the game was spent closing story lines, you have the genophage, rannoch, etc. where your choices from the other games made a huge impact.

I have absolutely no problems with ME 3's closure after the EC. Really the only closure I had an issue with prior to the EC was the holes, which they filled, about the normandy crew.

The choices you make alter the experience of ME 3 to a pretty big extent throughout the game and that, in turn, changes how everything falls in to place by the end and what kind of galaxy you have forged through your choices.

In regards to the choice you make on the citidel, I feel like that is honestly not the ending, as most people are expecting it. The ending is the culmination of everything you have done and what kind of galaxy you've made based on your choices, which they totally delivered on. When I say delivered on, I mean the missions like rannoch and tuchanka.

When you consider plot lines, there are many endings to mass effect 3 prior to THE ending. The last game was all about closing those plot lines that they had been building on since game 1.

Mass effect as a whole has been their best writing of all the games they have made and I have been playing bioware games since baldurs gate.

#11 Posted by CylonRaider01 (217 posts) -

Agreed.After EC they filled the major plotholes and maded the endings much better.To be honest Tuchanka was the best design part of the game.There you could have seriouse consequences,if you saved Wrex in ME1,wich could end in a total drama by killing you friend or save his entire ppl and end in a partially drama,if EVE dies or in a happy ending by saving Wrex,Eve and other krogan wich gaves you a good feeling that you didnt had to kill an entire race to save the Galaxy.Also Rannoch was good but no as good as Tuchanka,but hey a Reaper talks to you and you could chose "the exiled masters" or "the free slaves" or make peace between them.

#12 Posted by CuseGirl (9 posts) -
I agree. I like to discuss the game itself. But I think the IT is just grasping at straws. Mass Effect 3 shouldn't have ended with poorly thrown in symbolism and "deep meaning" and all that jargon. We all bought the game with the intention of killing the Reapers, having drinks with Garrus or Jacob, chucking with Grunt, and then running off with Miranda or Liara or Tali or maybe even convincing Samara to give romance a try. But the ending was rushed and none of that happened. They decided to get "deep" on us, pure nonsense really.
#13 Posted by Wiplash4elpres (60 posts) -

Personally I felt a good chunk of the game was spent closing story lines, you have the genophage, rannoch, etc. where your choices from the other games made a huge impact.

I have absolutely no problems with ME 3's closure after the EC. Really the only closure I had an issue with prior to the EC was the holes, which they filled, about the normandy crew.

The choices you make alter the experience of ME 3 to a pretty big extent throughout the game and that, in turn, changes how everything falls in to place by the end and what kind of galaxy you have forged through your choices.

In regards to the choice you make on the citidel, I feel like that is honestly not the ending, as most people are expecting it. The ending is the culmination of everything you have done and what kind of galaxy you've made based on your choices, which they totally delivered on. When I say delivered on, I mean the missions like rannoch and tuchanka.

When you consider plot lines, there are many endings to mass effect 3 prior to THE ending. The last game was all about closing those plot lines that they had been building on since game 1.

Mass effect as a whole has been their best writing of all the games they have made and I have been playing bioware games since baldurs gate.

Vokail
^ this x 10
#14 Posted by Leejjohno (14088 posts) -

Wouldn't it have been better if the game had ended without any insight into the reapers purpose and intentions? I felt the lore was compelling enough not to need some midichlorian style explanation.

#15 Posted by Abberon (227 posts) -
That's what I was thinking. The Reapers were a frightening, incomprehensible menace the whole series. Then, all of the sudden, they're instantly immasculated into what amounts to Hive drones just doing what they were programmed to do. Sovereign and Harbinger aren't even really bad guys after all? Right...
#16 Posted by Leejjohno (14088 posts) -

I still can't believe how much they dropped the ball with the story in this game.

#17 Posted by autoexit173 (3 posts) -
"I'm not saying that this board should only be for positive things, but I can't help but wonder why some users hang out on certain boards with the sole intent to let everyone know just how much they dislike the game (and or dev) of the message board that they frequent. Is there a point?" Some might not like ME3, they love ME1, ME2. The core reason why Mass Effect fans are opinionated is because they are so passionate about the characters, story and romances in the Me universe.
#18 Posted by Torino818 (149 posts) -

They just want to make me angry... you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

#19 Posted by gr8scott (1008 posts) -
To me, I play Mass Effect games for the story and how my choices influenced the progression of MY shepard's story. I find Mass Effect 3 to be the weakest of the three games. I've played all three games; the first two games I had multiple playthroughs, multiple DLC purchases for ME2, etc... The first two games had many highlights with few flaws. As for Mass Effect 3, I found it to be bipolar. For every one thing it did well, it did something else poorly. Examples: Gameplay was improved, but the story suffers (ie does not branch off as much as it should have at the end of the trilogy). The main missions in Tuchunka and Rannoch were incredible, but the side quests on the citadel were a joke and insult; your journal never updated quests. There's enough of an RPG element for me to make interested in ME3, but the face import problem existed at launch; so it really didn't look like MY Shepard. The voice acting is top notch, but there's way too much autodialogue. Nice to have squadmates like Garrus, Tali, Liara, and your Virmire Survivor, but you have no returning ME2 squadmates; seriously not even one. What I strongly dislike is how some of my more important choices had negligible impact. I felt some of the bigger choices in ME1 and ME2 had negligible impact: Rachni Queen, Legion's Loyalty mission, Collector Base, Anderson/Udina to name a few. I'm not trying to say ME3 is the worst game ever. It clearly is ludicrous to make that statement, but this game is no where near getting perfect scores. However, I feel it is clearly the weakest in the trilogy. I have not replayed ME3 since the day the EC came out. Just don't have the desire to where as I love going back through ME1 and ME2.
#20 Posted by Uber-G (10 posts) -

[QUOTE="001011000101101"]

[QUOTE="oldscooltennis2"]

dahui58

I have serious worries for anyone who thinks the trash Bioware wrote is less stupid than the IT. The IT makes so much sense, without it the entire ending is just full of plot holes and ugly/lazy mistakes and errors by everyone involved in making the game.

Hmmm, ultimately I feel that you dont give Biowares ending enough credit. The IT is an idea birthed from the original ending; it exists entirely as a specific speculation to fit the plot holes that the story generated, and as such, the IT is a subordinate plot tier to the conclusion that was presented in-game.

In my opinion, this type of response (player generated plot conclusions) is exactly what Bioware intended to illicit from their ending. With all of the possible story intricacies, it would be incredibly difficult for Bioware to have created enough detailed, cinematic endings to account for all the individualized stories, and thus, they opted for an ending that would stimulate the minds of players and force a level of personalization that is only capable through ones own interpretation. One may blame the plot holes on lazy writing, but in actuality those plot holes are the foundation for the IT and other possible, individualized conclusions because of the ambiguity that they create. It isnt lazy writing; it is creative writing meant to inspire us to come up with our own theories. Now, one might pose the question isnt that type of writing a mere cop out? Well, we could just label this type of strategy as a cop out, but if we do, then were the true cop outs, as we would merely be copping out of thinking on deeper levels and copping out of providing ourselves with a more personalized finale.

In short, the ending was intended as a tool that players could use to construct their individual conclusions, but many players did the opposite and deconstructed it down to its literal deficiencies. If you apply to the latter group, then Im sorry it disappointed you, but the medium through which theories such as the IT could be created deserves a little more credit than what you give it.

#21 Posted by K_I_R_E_E_K (1430 posts) -
Just like ME2, it would be a game i would buy once the price droped, however that doesn't mean i don't play the game or that i don't have the firepack dlc, it's all a matter of searching. Multiplayer is the only thing i can't play, however, with some commands multiplayer can be played alone, wich is nice.
#22 Posted by blindbsnake (14 posts) -

First of all, sorry the bad English, i´m still learning...

As always i respect everyone's opinions, but i have to disagree. ME3 is the worst writing game that i remember.I'm not comparing ME3 with basic games, the comparison must be made with games like Metal Gear, great series.In ME 1 and 2 you feel you are living a story, in Me3 you feel that the story is been given in episodes.The worst part is, as it is obvious, the end. It hurt us. LOL:o

And don't know how you people feel, but my Shepard loses in all the endings. He becomes a dictator, a genocider or instead, rape the galaxy.But the worst part for me is that he has to forget his principles to do that. :cry:

No, no more, I choose destroy 2 times (original ending and EC) because i believed that "IT" was true, but i´m only able to see my Shepard in the "refusal ending", his speech is probably my favorite in all the game. The result is bad yes, but is just a middle finger from the devs.:x

But to answer your question, i´m here because i was ready to make ME (trilogy) as the top game of all times. ME3 is full of plotholes but i was ready to let them pass, but destroy Shepard principles in the end is just totally unacceptable. So now, I just have to hope that Bioware is able to see the light and stop his stance of arrogance. :evil:

I need a logical and winning ending. I would like to see "IT" implemented or puzzle theory but i would accept anything that at least would make sense.;)

I really need to be able to play ME 1 and 2 again, but i can´t with the ME3 endings, they are just too bad to be truth.:roll:

#23 Posted by Leejjohno (14088 posts) -

As always i respect everyone's opinions, but i have to disagree. ME3 is the worst writing game that i remember.I'm not comparing ME3 with basic games, the comparison must be made with games like Metal Gear, great series.In ME 1 and 2 you feel you are living a story, in Me3 you feel that the story is been given in episodes.The worst part is, as it is obvious, the end. It hurt us. LOL:o

And don't know how you people feel, but my Shepard loses in all the endings. He becomes a dictator, a genocider or instead, rape the galaxy.But the worst part for me is that he has to forget his principles to do that. :cry:

No, no more, I choose destroy 2 times (original ending and EC) because i believed that "IT" was true, but i´m only able to see my Shepard in the "refusal ending", his speech is probably my favorite in all the game. The result is bad yes, but is just a middle finger from the devs.:x

But to answer your question, i´m here because i was ready to make ME (trilogy) as the top game of all times. ME3 is full of plotholes but i was ready to let them pass, but destroy Shepard principles in the end is just totally unacceptable. So now, I just have to hope that Bioware is able to see the light and stop his stance of arrogance. :evil:

I need a logical and winning ending. I would like to see "IT" implemented or puzzle theory but i would accept anything that at least would make sense.;)

I really need to be able to play ME 1 and 2 again, but i can´t with the ME3 endings, they are just too bad to be truth.:roll:

blindbsnake

You say that like the game didn't have bad writing all the way through. 

The crucible was old school plot convenience which showed up at the most convenient time and conveniently could not be explained by anybody involved in the project when pressed for info, except for the catalyst who says it's just a massive energy source. Well my brain cannot begin to comprehend that concept AT ALL. wow I wonder why liara couldn't just tell me that, or any of the other people who e-mailed shepard after being added to the war assets. 

I can't remember who said it but somebody in the game said "The crucible is vast in size and more advanced/complicated than any project we have ever undertaken and yet surprisingly simple" or something along those lines. It's like bioware didn't even know what it was either, and given the way it was flippantly described as an energy source at the end just made me wonder where the hell they thought it would go. It's a shame they couldn't write something convenient about that.

What about that very old and powerful mass accelerator weapon that the IM found in ME2? You know, the one that punched a hole right the way through that reaper that we stole the IFF on? Was that not worth some attention? You see guys they already had the tools they needed to create a decent plot and story. From day one that whole crucible thing never sat easy with me. 

The writing, themes and target demographic changed with ME3, all for the worse. I usually respect peoples differing opinions but I don't even think this is subjective...

#24 Posted by blindbsnake (14 posts) -

[QUOTE="blindbsnake"]

Leejjohno

You say that like the game didn't have bad writing all the way through. 

The crucible was old school plot convenience which showed up at the most convenient time and conveniently could not be explained by anybody involved in the project when pressed for info, except for the catalyst who says it's just a massive energy source. Well my brain cannot begin to comprehend that concept AT ALL. wow I wonder why liara couldn't just tell me that, or any of the other people who e-mailed shepard after being added to the war assets. 

I can't remember who said it but somebody in the game said "The crucible is vast in size and more advanced/complicated than any project we have ever undertaken and yet surprisingly simple" or something along those lines. It's like bioware didn't even know what it was either, and given the way it was flippantly described as an energy source at the end just made me wonder where the hell they thought it would go. It's a shame they couldn't write something convenient about that.

What about that very old and powerful mass accelerator weapon that the IM found in ME2? You know, the one that punched a hole right the way through that reaper that we stole the IFF on? Was that not worth some attention? You see guys they already had the tools they needed to create a decent plot and story. From day one that whole crucible thing never sat easy with me. 

The writing, themes and target demographic changed with ME3, all for the worse. I usually respect peoples differing opinions but I don't even think this is subjective...

You got me wrong. I agree completely with your statement. A convencional victory by non conventional means also would not be bad. But i repeat, the principles and values were the thing i used to like more in Shepard. And in the end, Especially in the end they are gone. That´s why now i believe "refuse" is the only logical end.

I'll let this analogy: Imagine one terrorist, he comes to you and say, you got to kill ten people or i will kill 1000. Are you ready to commit murder to save more people? I don´t, ill fight him and try to save everyone i can, even if i have to lose everyone. That´is why i feel that Refuse is not let everyone die, is let everyone fight for a better future even if it mean dying for it.
I just cant accept that i need to agree with my enemy no matter what.

#25 Posted by Leejjohno (14088 posts) -

You got me wrong. I agree completely with your statement. A convencional victory by non conventional means also would not be bad. But i repeat, the principles and values were the thing i used to like more in Shepard. And in the end, Especially in the end they are gone. That´s why now i believe "refuse" is the only logical end.

I'll let this analogy: Imagine one terrorist, he comes to you and say, you got to kill ten people or i will kill 1000. Are you ready to commit murder to save more people? I don´t, ill fight him and try to save everyone i can, even if i have to lose everyone. That´is why i feel that Refuse is not let everyone die, is let everyone fight for a better future even if it mean dying for it.

blindbsnake

lol sorry I read your points and just instantly felt like venting about how disapointed I am.

#27 Posted by blindbsnake (14 posts) -

[QUOTE="blindbsnake"] 

Leejjohno

lol sorry I read your points and just instantly felt like venting about how disapointed I am.

I know how you feel...

#28 Posted by omniangel93 (9 posts) -
I actually really enjoyed the ending to the series(After the EC, that is). For me, Star child was actually a manifestation of Harbinger(The Leviathan DLC hints to this). Realizing that there was nothing he could do to prevent you from activating the crucible now, he attempts to sway you to make a choice opposite of what you've been trying to do since game one. I find it hard to believe that the reapers were just acting as they thought best to keep the peace between organics and synthetics. No, that makes no sense. The reapers obviously got some sort of pleasure out of what they did. I mean, how can you listen to all the crap Harbinger says in 2 and the Arrival DLC and think the reapers to be mindless drones? Idk, Star Child actually being Harbinger makes the most sense to me.
#29 Posted by blindbsnake (14 posts) -

I actually really enjoyed the ending to the series(After the EC, that is). For me, Star child was actually a manifestation of Harbinger(The Leviathan DLC hints to this). Realizing that there was nothing he could do to prevent you from activating the crucible now, he attempts to sway you to make a choice opposite of what you've been trying to do since game one. I find it hard to believe that the reapers were just acting as they thought best to keep the peace between organics and synthetics. No, that makes no sense. The reapers obviously got some sort of pleasure out of what they did. I mean, how can you listen to all the crap Harbinger says in 2 and the Arrival DLC and think the reapers to be mindless drones? Idk, Star Child actually being Harbinger makes the most sense to me.omniangel93

If what you understood from the end is true ok. But you are just presuming, you can´t be certain of that. You will end in ambiguity and at some point they can destroy your ending. Is the end of a trilogy, it should end without no doubts whatsoever, the end.

But, good for you. You are one of the lucky ones. Don't let anyone spoil your fun.

#30 Posted by omniangel93 (9 posts) -

[QUOTE="omniangel93"]I actually really enjoyed the ending to the series(After the EC, that is). For me, Star child was actually a manifestation of Harbinger(The Leviathan DLC hints to this). Realizing that there was nothing he could do to prevent you from activating the crucible now, he attempts to sway you to make a choice opposite of what you've been trying to do since game one. I find it hard to believe that the reapers were just acting as they thought best to keep the peace between organics and synthetics. No, that makes no sense. The reapers obviously got some sort of pleasure out of what they did. I mean, how can you listen to all the crap Harbinger says in 2 and the Arrival DLC and think the reapers to be mindless drones? Idk, Star Child actually being Harbinger makes the most sense to me.blindbsnake

If what you understood from the end is true ok. But you are just presuming, you can´t be certain of that. You will end in ambiguity and at some point they can destroy your ending. Is the end of a trilogy, it should end without no doubts whatsoever, the end.

But, good for you. You are one of the lucky ones. Don't let anyone spoil your fun.

You're right. I guess we'll never know for certain exactly how it ACTUALLY ended. I haven't exactly decided if I'm happy or angry with that aspect. For the most part, I feel like I got my closure. That's all that really mattered to me. I cured the Genophage and ended the Geth/Quarian war. I told Liara I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her and I convinced Joker and EDI to hook up. I killed Udina(FINALLY!), the Illusive Man, and Kai Leng. I even shot bottles of alcohol with Garrus on the citadel. I said good bye to some characters that had made an impact on me, but making sure they didn't die in vain. Hell, even Conrad Verner was able to do some good for once. This will always go down in my book as the greatest series of all time.
#31 Posted by blindbsnake (14 posts) -

You're right. I guess we'll never know for certain exactly how it ACTUALLY ended. I haven't exactly decided if I'm happy or angry with that aspect. For the most part, I feel like I got my closure. That's all that really mattered to me. I cured the Genophage and ended the Geth/Quarian war. I told Liara I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her and I convinced Joker and EDI to hook up. I killed Udina(FINALLY!), the Illusive Man, and Kai Leng. I even shot bottles of alcohol with Garrus on the citadel. I said good bye to some characters that had made an impact on me, but making sure they didn't die in vain. Hell, even Conrad Verner was able to do some good for once. This will always go down in my book as the greatest series of all time.omniangel93

Yeah, ME was a great journey. I almost forgot of that moments. That's the difference between us, you see those moments, i see the catalyst and his logic. Funny thing (This will always go down in my book as the greatest series of all time.), what 10 minutes can do to an amazing journey.

Is like go on a boat, see the beautiful sea, feel the breeze, know new places, and then go home, happy, but then, close to the bay, the boat make a twist and you drown.

Sorry the negativity, i never felt like this in any other game. I believe is because i never loved a game so much as i loved "ME".

#32 Posted by Enforcer246 (588 posts) -

A forum is meant for opinions, whether positive or negative. If this forum was filled with nothing but praise for Bioware and this game, it would be very boring. Some of the funniest threads about this game started from the hate it recieved (going from the Bioware forums).

#33 Posted by Talus057 (356 posts) -

People like this are so entertaining ... for some reason. I just get giggly whenever someone complains about people complaining so they start a thread to complain and troll bait a bunch of other people who complain until someone starts complaining about the people complaining about complaining and now the thread somehow went from Bioware making crap games to the War on Terrorism and I have no idea what anyone is talking about anymore.

So let's just do ourselves a favor and read this post one more time ...

Obviously it's Biowares game, and it's their choice what to put in, and if they want to turn it into a trainwreck that's their perogative. However they made many promises to the fans which they absolutely broken, that is misleading advertising. All this anger and hate is absolutely justified. Some examples of the lies told: - "the ending will not be an A, B, or C choice" (that's EXACTLY what it was!) - "you won't need to play multiplayer" (if you don't play multiplayer your final score is HALVED!) - "choices from all three games will impact your ending" - wrong, it's entirely determined by the last choice and your war assets Plus all three endings where the same yadadadada. The extended cuts made it slightly better, but you can't polish a turd.dahui58

... and let this thread friggen die. Capiche? =)