Connected Career Mode = Franchise Mode....PLEASE STOP

#1 Posted by reagan3 (518 posts) -

I made this point in response to those bending over to praise this incomplete game so i wanted to have it stand as its own topic. I respect all opinions but you cannot debate this edition being worthy of full price. I sat in disbelief last night once i tore off the plastic wrapping, fiddled through the CCM Coach Menu, and turned on my laptop to see the USER reviews (and opinions) here and other places on the web. I think the gameplay is great, by the way, but EA has really shown us what having the exclusive NFL license means. This is lazy. This is wrong. This game never makes it into production if other studios were allowed the use the NFL license. Here it is:

Anyone here that's saying "CCM is JUST LIKE" the normal franchise mode couldn't be more wrong. Here's a scenario:

Would any of you who happen believe that go to your favorite restaurant to order your favorite dinner (let's use spaghetti with meatballs and garlic knots) where you always paid $40.00 for the dish...and then they tell you that the meatballs, sauce and garlic knots are no longer included? But the price remains the same? 

Would you be fine with that? No matter how great the semolina wheat noodles were, would you pay, blindy, and smile?

Sheep do what they're told, use your brain and don't view less as more unless EA was going to charge $20.00 for this "game" we have (about to be shipped back). It makes no sense to smile while someone is going in your wallet...and giving you less value for what they take back.

Be smart.

#2 Posted by litttlejohn (2247 posts) -

While i completely agree with you that it blows we dont have many features we grew to love in the game I do have to disagree with your analogy.

Honestly, restaurants do increase prices on things. Its just a fact of life and in perhaps the biggest stretch on that point I could make would be to look at the price of most available goods a hundred years ago, and look at that cost today. Obviously we aren't still paying a nickel for a cheeseburger so by that we must have had to pay more at some point for the same product. The key difference with your example and this game is that with the dinner, you can usually pay extra for the garlic knots or meatballs and things, whereas we don't even have the option here.

also you mentioned "would you pay, blindly" .... well the information on the slashed madden features was out for a couple months now so it isn't blindly or surprising.

you also state that we are being given "less value for what they take back" Turthfully this is not an argument you or anyone against you can possibly win. VALUE is a subjective term to each individual. some people never play franchise so if it did or did not exist the VALUE of the game would remain unchanged for them. And for others they see the physics engine as being a big step which they value more than what we lost in franchise.

and again for the record, i don't dissagree with you. it sucks these features are missing. with my friends franchise and drafting was probably 80 percent of what we did in the game. I just dissagree with how it is argued.

#3 Posted by Adema1226 (216 posts) -
Well I didn't get last year's Madden. The last game I have before '13 is '11... and other than hiring/firing coaches, coach mode in connected careers plays exactly like franchise mode from '11. I've made that clear in my posts... I don't want to mislead anyone, I just hate for people not to buy the game solely because they're thinking that there is no way to play offline franchise, when there is. You just can't hire/fire coaches, other than that, I really don't see any other features that have been removed from '11.
#4 Posted by Adema1226 (216 posts) -
Well I didn't get last year's Madden. The last game I have before '13 is '11... and other than hiring/firing coaches, coach mode in connected careers plays exactly like franchise mode from '11. I've made that clear in my posts... I don't want to mislead anyone, I just hate for people not to buy the game solely because they're thinking that there is no way to play offline franchise, when there is. You just can't hire/fire coaches, other than that, I really don't see any other features that have been removed from '11.Adema1226
Sorry, I did forget that they removed fantasy draft and the ability to edit players. I forgot 'cause I never did fantasy draft, and I rarely edited players.
#5 Posted by reagan3 (518 posts) -

While i completely agree with you that it blows we dont have many features we grew to love in the game I do have to disagree with your analogy.

Honestly, restaurants do increase prices on things. Its just a fact of life and in perhaps the biggest stretch on that point I could make would be to look at the price of most available goods a hundred years ago, and look at that cost today. Obviously we aren't still paying a nickel for a cheeseburger so by that we must have had to pay more at some point for the same product. The key difference with your example and this game is that with the dinner, you can usually pay extra for the garlic knots or meatballs and things, whereas we don't even have the option here.

also you mentioned "would you pay, blindly" .... well the information on the slashed madden features was out for a couple months now so it isn't blindly or surprising.

you also state that we are being given "less value for what they take back" Turthfully this is not an argument you or anyone against you can possibly win. VALUE is a subjective term to each individual. some people never play franchise so if it did or did not exist the VALUE of the game would remain unchanged for them. And for others they see the physics engine as being a big step which they value more than what we lost in franchise.

and again for the record, i don't dissagree with you. it sucks these features are missing. with my friends franchise and drafting was probably 80 percent of what we did in the game. I just dissagree with how it is argued.

litttlejohn

You have every right to disagree. I respect your opinion, littlejohn. The analogy wasn't supposed to be the end-all, be-all but just an idea. I should have fleshed it out in respect to the price, but you sort of did that for me.

All things considered let's say we decided to order the sauce, meatballs and garlic knots (as a $20 extra on top of the $40 we originally paid). Would that be fair? Meaning let's say EA decides to release a DLC pack to put back something we originally had for about 13 years of the game but charged us for it. Would that be cool? I know i would look at them in disbelief...or i'm just stuck eating a pile of dry noodles for $40. (My copy has been mailed away this afternoon.)

They can't push this off as a full game - at FULL price - by removing features that have been vital to its success. Oh wait they can because there are those that will buy it because it has "Madden" plastered on the box, regardless of what's on the disc. I've skipped the series every couple of years or so because i just wasn't interested in certain things they added but i never thought they had to take away Franchise Mode. I've always wanted them to add to it. You could still add other modes without pulling away the core of Franchise. This is a video game; meant to be what the demand calls for. There was no demand to drastically alter Franchise. 

Games are for consumers because we pay. If the game was for developers then they would produce the game, push to print and hand it out to their families and friends. But they charge $60 because there's demand for it. If they didn't have an exclusivity contract with the NFL and other studios were able to use the license...this game, in this version, does not make it to retailers. It would be too big of a gamble.

#6 Posted by litttlejohn (2247 posts) -

All things considered let's say we decided to order the sauce, meatballs and garlic knots (as a $20 extra on top of the $40 we originally paid). Would that be fair? Meaning let's say EA decides to release a DLC pack to put back something we originally had for about 13 years of the game but charged us for it. Would that be cool? I know i would look at them in disbelief...or i'm just stuck eating a pile of dry noodles for $40. (My copy has been mailed away this afternoon.)

reagan3

The thing is that fairness, is entirely subjective. In another example as a far stretch lets look at gas prices. (i cant do food anymore im fat enough as it is and am only getting hungrier reading) if I normally fill up premium and the price goes up is that fair? I could pay the same price I always have and instead get regular but it has lower octane. so I am paying the same price now for less content. It sucks but thats the way it is, If i want the premium gas I have to pay more. In essence both our examples actually support content as a DLC, where some people like us who loved the franchise aspects from previous titles could obtain it, and those who never use it can settle for the regular just like the gas if they wanted. The issue at hand is that we don't have an option to go "premium" and get that content back however.

On the flip side would it be fair for us in this gas example to only pay the same price for gas, despite the increased cost to get that gas to my pump. (from both obtaining crude and from refining and shipping)?  We may not like it or feel its important but the truth is that building that new physics engine does require more work to be put in. that said we don't know how much or how little is done, and we cant quantatively give features added or omited any value since they differ with everyone. if they kept everything in it, but charged us 10 dollars more we would get the same arguments from people. I suppose what I'm getting at is that we should get a choice. But i can't say that as is, the game isn't worth it or is worth it since i have no idea what the cost of the additions or the cost of keeping the other features worked into the game would be.

basicly the situation is simply this sucks. I can't say its unfair, and I can't say im being ripped off. I can only say the thing i loved most in Madden is gone, and it just sucks.

#7 Posted by reagan3 (518 posts) -

[QUOTE="reagan3"]

litttlejohn

The thing is that fairness, is entirely subjective. In another example as a far stretch lets look at gas prices. (i cant do food anymore im fat enough as it is and am only getting hungrier reading) if I normally fill up premium and the price goes up is that fair? I could pay the same price I always have and instead get regular but it has lower octane. so I am paying the same price now for less content. It sucks but thats the way it is, If i want the premium gas I have to pay more. In essence both our examples actually support content as a DLC, where some people like us who loved the franchise aspects from previous titles could obtain it, and those who never use it can settle for the regular just like the gas if they wanted. The issue at hand is that we don't have an option to go "premium" and get that content back however.

On the flip side would it be fair for us in this gas example to only pay the same price for gas, despite the increased cost to get that gas to my pump. (from both obtaining crude and from refining and shipping)?  We may not like it or feel its important but the truth is that building that new physics engine does require more work to be put in. that said we don't know how much or how little is done, and we cant quantatively give features added or omited any value since they differ with everyone. if they kept everything in it, but charged us 10 dollars more we would get the same arguments from people. I suppose what I'm getting at is that we should get a choice. But i can't say that as is, the game isn't worth it or is worth it since i have no idea what the cost of the additions or the cost of keeping the other features worked into the game would be.

basicly the situation is simply this sucks. I can't say its unfair, and I can't say im being ripped off. I can only say the thing i loved most in Madden is gone, and it just sucks.

Ha! Great opinion, man. I see what you're saying and i'm with you, john. I don't like the option being taken away at all. I'll chill with the food analogies (i was STARVING when i wrote it). Cool debate, man.

#8 Posted by vallen187 (63 posts) -

long time franchiser thats more then dissapointed about what im hearing. i bought the game on my way home from work, took tomorrow off for an extended holiday weekend of madden. then i came here for the reviews. guess i should have checked before i went and bought this piece of crap. good news is its not out of the wrapper so ill get full price back......

#9 Posted by reagan3 (518 posts) -

Good move. I opened it 10 minutes before i saw all the user complaints with it. 

#10 Posted by seahawkfan2008 (4 posts) -

Hey you guys kept whining about the same ol Madden game for years and now they change it you're going to cry about it.

#12 Posted by litttlejohn (2247 posts) -

Hey you guys kept whining about the same ol Madden game for years and now they change it you're going to cry about it.

seahawkfan2008

I think you are putting words in a great many peoples mouths that was never said. You are jumping to a very poor conclusion that in no way shape or form are mututally inclusive. So thank you for that.....

For one, not everyone complained about previous installments. Did many people feel it was too similar in years? Yes of course, we have all been there in the past and seen the boards and complaints. But at the same time others who were fine with the similar games slightly twieaked loved the game and now dislike them. Weather you want to beleive it or not we arne't all everything or nothing.

And you also GREATLY stretched and distorted what many gamers wanted. To begin, in another classy move I appreciate you trying to trivialize critisism in a game you like by calling people whiners, very endearing. Also you seem to take only part of the request which was to change things. However I honestly have trouble thinking that all those people who wanted change simply wanted it to be different for the sake of being changed as opposed to people who wanted more change that improves upon the game in their view.

If I want a change in  my paycheck every two weeks do you honestly think I would be happy if they slashed my salary in half just so my checks would be different?  that would be change after all. Surely thats what people wanted to see. Improve does not equate to change

#13 Posted by seahawkfan2008 (4 posts) -

All i've been hearing is people complaining about what the game does'nt have when they should be talking about what it does.

Madden 12 franchise mode was very boring, the drafting was lame and the scouting sucked, also every time I play a down it lags right before I snap the ball.

It seems like EA is trying to make a whole different game and they can only go year by year trying to implement the changes so they can't have everything in a new game right off the bat, Madden 14 should have all the missing features back in it and then some.

#14 Posted by Pi (8 posts) -

All I want is a franchise mode with the options I enjoyed in PS2 iterations.............and gameplay the same or improved from those old PS2 games. I don't think that is too much to ask. If each year were a roster update, but the very same game that was released the last couple of years on PS2 before the PS3 came along, except with improved graphics, I'd be happy, LoL. Instead, the gameplay is STILL inferior to the old PS2 versions. There are STILL bugs that appeared in the very first PS3 version. And the franchise mode has NEVER even approached the quality found in the PS2 versions. In fact, the old Front Page Sports Football series on PC had a better franchise mode!

And why do they need to remove features to add things? That has never made any sense to me. Each year, they add a few things, but remove others. Nothing remains year after year. They waste their time on nonsense features like the passing "cone", then remove it the next year and waste their time adding another useless feature. Because of this, they never get anywhere. I'm STILL waiting for a quality franchise mode. I stopped purchasing Madden after the second iteration on PS3 - and I had purchased every edition all the way back to C64 and SNES previously. I felt two years was enough time to give them to fix the game on the next gen system. When it didn't happen, I spoke with my wallet. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have made much difference, since all these years later I am STILL waiting.

#16 Posted by DbleBassDrummer (1375 posts) -

Yeah, they took franchise out, but replaced it with a significantly better mode called Connected Careers. My friends and I are enjoying it a whole lot. None of us feel like we didn't get a full game; On the contrary, this is probably the most I've gotten out of Madden in years.

If you don't want to play this new and better mode, you have plenty of other Maddens to pick from.

#17 Posted by scud_fdl (56 posts) -

All i've been hearing is people complaining about what the game does'nt have when they should be talking about what it does.

Madden 12 franchise mode was very boring, the drafting was lame and the scouting sucked, also every time I play a down it lags right before I snap the ball.

It seems like EA is trying to make a whole different game and they can only go year by year trying to implement the changes so they can't have everything in a new game right off the bat, Madden 14 should have all the missing features back in it and then some.

seahawkfan2008

That would be like Chevrolet introducing a new Impala that had an engine that got 40 mpg, but the car didn't include a radio or cruise control. If you don't have time to make a complete game THEN DON'T MAKE ONE!!!! Release Madden every two years, and release a major update every other year for free, or hell, charge 5 or 10 bucks for it. But don't release a half-assed version every year and then claim that "Oh, well we introduced some new stuff so we had to get rid of some other things because we just didn't have time." Narishkeit, as they say.

#18 Posted by litttlejohn (2247 posts) -

Yeah, they took franchise out, but replaced it with a significantly better mode called Connected Careers. My friends and I are enjoying it a whole lot. None of us feel like we didn't get a full game; On the contrary, this is probably the most I've gotten out of Madden in years.

If you don't want to play this new and better mode, you have plenty of other Maddens to pick from.

DbleBassDrummer

well for one, what was better about removing the options that were available previously? Honestly, i will not say your are wrong but at the very least give some examples other than because I say so and my friends agree (especially since you say its significantly better. keep in mind the new physics engine and new on the field improvments are different from a mode and are instead gameplay elements, of which few are debating).

and to your second point there are not many other maddens to choose from. the servers get taken down after a couple years. so in reality its a smaller number that players even have the option to choose from.

which is really besides the point because what enjoyment any of us had in previous titles will not change what people dislike in this title. Okay those people like the older versions options. It doesnt mean in any way that they cant voice their displeasure for this game.

#19 Posted by DbleBassDrummer (1375 posts) -

[QUOTE="DbleBassDrummer"]

litttlejohn

well for one, what was better about removing the options that were available previously? Honestly, i will not say your are wrong but at the very least give some examples other than because I say so and my friends agree (especially since you say its significantly better. keep in mind the new physics engine and new on the field improvments are different from a mode and are instead gameplay elements, of which few are debating).

and to your second point there are not many other maddens to choose from. the servers get taken down after a couple years. so in reality its a smaller number that players even have the option to choose from.

which is really besides the point because what enjoyment any of us had in previous titles will not change what people dislike in this title. Okay those people like the older versions options. It doesnt mean in any way that they cant voice their displeasure for this game.

I'm not interested in convincing anyone why Connected Careers is better than traditional franchise; That was never the point. The innovation and variety of ways you can play speak for themselves.

At first, I was a little suprised that there was no franchise, but if you play Connected Careers offline as a coach, you'll have pretty much the same experience. I play in two online leagues with different groups of buddies and in one offline league, all as a different player or coach. Madden is finally fresh, new, and different, and worth the $60.

If you want to play single player offline franchise that plays exactly like the old ones, then play the old ones. Am I going to hate on Halo 4 because an older Halo isn't included on the disc?

#20 Posted by litttlejohn (2247 posts) -

I'm not interested in convincing anyone why Connected Careers is better than traditional franchise; That was never the point. The innovation and variety of ways you can play speak for themselves.

At first, I was a little suprised that there was no franchise, but if you play Connected Careers offline as a coach, you'll have pretty much the same experience. I play in two online leagues with different groups of buddies and in one offline league, all as a different player or coach. Madden is finally fresh, new, and different, and worth the $60.

If you want to play single player offline franchise that plays exactly like the old ones, then play the old ones. Am I going to hate on Halo 4 because an older Halo isn't included on the disc?

DbleBassDrummer

For one, thank you for adjusting your comment to suddenly read "single player offline franchise" so that your comment of other maddens to choose from suddenly can fit again. I assume the first post was merely a typo.

For another, if this title is worth asking 60 dollars or not is being debated and regardless has no bearing on the topic. Nobody is saying madden didnt change anything, Clearly we can all see the new physics engine and on field additions with no problem. Worth is made up of more than just one feature and is also weighed differently between individuals. as a result none of us can place or argue any set value of "Worth" for any one single feature. we can obviously vote that we do or do not like something, but again worth is purely subjective to each individual.

I also must again humbly beg for you to translate this innovation and variety of ways to play for us. You say they speak clearly for themselves yet when I look around I see many features from franchise that don't exist, but havent really seeen the innovation arguments. I am not saying coach mode is bad mind you, I am saying i don't see the huge variety given in coach mode over what we had and what was taken away from the franchise mode with various abilities people loved, that are now not even options in the current game. Please...... pretty please...... with sugar on top...... and a cherry, please explain these varieties of ways to play and the innovation. since they speak for themselves it should be rather easy for you to mention them. I will even start off one for you. Now with the franchise/coach mode you can play against players who are playing create a superstar/ player career mode at the same time. ( though admittedly that opens up a pandoras box to the trouble in the modes where we can't edit players, and while we can move depth as a coach, we can not as a player. meaning while coaches play from the get go, many many player careers are spent on the sidelines coming in for special teams plays for the first couple years before even cracking it as a backup to get in game experienc for their lone player. It may be more realist I grant, but, and i may be wrong, more people get the game to play it, and not watch the simulation of it. )

#21 Posted by DbleBassDrummer (1375 posts) -

litttlejohn

For one, thank you for adjusting your comment to suddenly read "single player offline franchise" so that your comment of other maddens to choose from suddenly can fit again. I assume the first post was merely a typo.

For another, if this title is worth asking 60 dollars or not is being debated and regardless has no bearing on the topic. Nobody is saying madden didnt change anything, Clearly we can all see the new physics engine and on field additions with no problem. Worth is made up of more than just one feature and is also weighed differently between individuals. as a result none of us can place or argue any set value of "Worth" for any one single feature. we can obviously vote that we do or do not like something, but again worth is purely subjective to each individual.

I also must again humbly beg for you to translate this innovation and variety of ways to play for us. You say they speak clearly for themselves yet when I look around I see many features from franchise that don't exist, but havent really seeen the innovation arguments. I am not saying coach mode is bad mind you, I am saying i don't see the huge variety given in coach mode over what we had and what was taken away from the franchise mode with various abilities people loved, that are now not even options in the current game. Please...... pretty please...... with sugar on top...... and a cherry, please explain these varieties of ways to play and the innovation. since they speak for themselves it should be rather easy for you to mention them. I will even start off one for you. Now with the franchise/coach mode you can play against players who are playing create a superstar/ player career mode at the same time. ( though admittedly that opens up a pandoras box to the trouble in the modes where we can't edit players, and while we can move depth as a coach, we can not as a player. meaning while coaches play from the get go, many many player careers are spent on the sidelines coming in for special teams plays for the first couple years before even cracking it as a backup to get in game experienc for their lone player. It may be more realist I grant, but, and i may be wrong, more people get the game to play it, and not watch the simulation of it. )

lol, nobody is going to read that. :P

#22 Posted by reagan3 (518 posts) -

CCM is just missing too many options - that have been staples for years - to rate as a complete Franchise experience. That was the main reason I went about posting this topic. You know?

Gameplay refinements (great this year) shouldn't come at the expense of features that are valued by those who actually ENJOY the offline experience. If this is the first step - of three (according to Madden developers) - for a "better" Madden experience...then this game should have retailed for $20.00.

That's the main reason 13 was good enough to get me $34.00 credit with Amazon - and a new copy of Madden 12 for my digital football fix.

Agree or not, I don't care. You cannot argue that CCM and Franchise are the same.

#23 Posted by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

[QUOTE="litttlejohn"]

DbleBassDrummer

If connected careers doesn't have create a team it's not worth playing.
#24 Posted by Zelda187 (950 posts) -

Taking out the ability to edit players was just stupid.

They actually have the balls to say that they didn't have the time to include such a basic feature that has been in almost every Madden game for the past 10+ years?

So let's say I'm playing this stripped down "Connected Careers" mode as the New York Jets. If I draft a QB and he's given Joe Namath's #12 there's no way I can change his jersey number? Sorry, that's retarded. I have no idea how anyone could defend this.

This sounds like the same crap they pulled with Madden 2006. You couldn't edit players and when you created a player, you had to put him through some BS combine workout drills instead of editing his stats the way you wanted.

#26 Posted by litttlejohn (2247 posts) -

This sounds like the same crap they pulled with Madden 2006. You couldn't edit players and when you created a player, you had to put him through some BS combine workout drills instead of editing his stats the way you wanted.

Zelda187

except in madden 06 (on the current systems as apposed to ps2 and the original xbox ) critics actually called out EA on the fact that various features and elements of the game were absent. they actually discussed the tradeoff of how the game looked nicer than on the past consoles but that it came at the same time with reduced options for how to play the game.

I completely, completely agree with you and in fact created a similar topic not too long ago asking the very question of why was this game, madden 13,  getting a pass on things that we lost the ability to use, when the very same critics slammed them in 06.

I admit I still have yet to discover why.

in a great side note totally unrelated at least borderlands releases soon, then this can sit on my shelf as a reminder if i get the urge to pickup madden next year. I never thought NCAA would outshine madden but lo and behold....

#27 Posted by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zelda187"]

litttlejohn

except in madden 06 (on the current systems as apposed to ps2 and the original xbox ) critics actually called out EA on the fact that various features and elements of the game were absent. they actually discussed the tradeoff of how the game looked nicer than on the past consoles but that it came at the same time with reduced options for how to play the game.

I completely, completely agree with you and in fact created a similar topic not too long ago asking the very question of why was this game, madden 13,  getting a pass on things that we lost the ability to use, when the very same critics slammed them in 06.

I admit I still have yet to discover why.

in a great side note totally unrelated at least borderlands releases soon, then this can sit on my shelf as a reminder if i get the urge to pickup madden next year. I never thought NCAA would outshine madden but lo and behold....

Yeah, I'm gonna see if some of the missing features return next year before buying Madden 14. If not, I'll pass.
#28 Posted by dirtymotoxer21 (84 posts) -

Though I have grown to like Coach mode, a owner mode for CC would greatly improve and add in the features we liked about the old franchise mode.  I hate not having the ability to hire different coaches, it was one of my favorite aspects of franchise mode.  The anticipation of waiting for Sean Payton to be an unsigned coach and then fire my current coach so I could hire Payton and impliment a high octane passing offense into my team was awesome, a feature which is now gone. 

Not being able to edit players has me dumbfounded, I really don't understand why we can't do this in CC.  I want to change my players equipment and helmets but to no avail, it can't be done.  One of my favorite things to do was getting my players into better equipment or adding visors and the like.  I don't mind the stat editing as you do get XP and you can edit stats at the end of a season which is a very nice touch.

I hate the menu system for CC.  I really don't like that we can't sim mulitiple games and select games to play through the team season menu so you can keep track of the scores and points your team puts up or allows.  It really takes me out of the season mode that I have to go to a different menu to just look at the season game scores and then to play my next game, I have to back out, scroll over and then go through the "weeks actions" menu to play the game.  I can't adjust how much my team passes or runs a ball while simming either, a massive step back, I liked the sliders where you could adjust how much your team would throw or run for the week.  A feature thats gone and now no matter what you can't even change your scheme.  what if I want to go to a 4-3 or a 3-4 defense?  There's no way to do that while simming your season. 

It's still a nice game and I do enjoy it, but just not for the same reasons I enjoyed madden 12.