This is what should have been released as the first installment, since it has better source material and is more fun.

User Rating: 8.3 | LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy X360
LEGO Star Wars originally started out as an expansion to LEGO. I never got the thing about it personally, as I spent much of my childhood chewing the pieces. The first game didn't really call to me for two reasons. One, Lego wasn't my cup of tea, and two, it wasn't based on the Original Trilogy. The sequel however is.

If you know the trilogy, then you know what exactly's gonna happen in the game. There are no voices in the game, except for the usual sound effects from Star Wars related things. You'll get things from R2D2's screams and bleeps to Darth Vader's sinister breathing.This gives the game a very unique style, that is surprisingly acceptable to every age group. There are also some things unique to the game, that add to its charm. It helps that although it is Lego (and supposed to be blocky), it is very good looking. The score for this game sounds as wonderful as it did in the original films, and suits the action when neccesary.

The gameplay is easy to pick up, but hard to master. This is very important to the Xbox360 version (reviewed), because of the achievements. I'll pick up more on that later. The level design is pretty good, with many areas that require thought into how to tackle them. Each of them feature different environments, which are presented beautifully. The only problem with the visuals lies with the camera being fixed, but it shouldn't get in your way too often. There have been reports of slowdown in frame rate on the 360 version, but thats something I've not noticed.

There are two types of levels, Human and Ship levels. The human levels are pretty large, with hidden areas. These are very well thought out, and in the story modes, you can do the levels as they were supposed to. The game also unlocks Free Mode once you've done a level, which means any character set you've unlocked, can be used. For example, during Luke's Jedi training mission can have you playing as Han Solo and whoever else you like. This lets the player decide for themselves who they want. The amount of character skins does underlie the fact theres only a certain number of styles of play. This includes Jedi, Blaster, R2D2, Jawa and C3PO. The two you'd use most often would be Jedi's and Blasters. Both are easy to control, with helpful things, such as Jedi's being able to deflect attacks with lightsabers, and Blasters lock on to enemies, etc. All these things help the games mechanics hugely. There are of course variations on these, including Yoda with his unusual lightsaber style, and Boba Fett with his jetpack and more powerful gun, etc.

The Ship levels aren't as nice as they could have been. The controls seem a little crazy and you'll be thinking when first playing with a ship, "Holy mother of God, I'm outta control!" Once you get used to them, it gets a little easier, but it is impossible for me at the moment to not die on these levels, because theres so much going on. There aren't as many ships as there are characters, but the variety of ships is still impressive.

For non-360 owners, this game might be too easy, what with no incentive to keeping alive. It is still massively fun to play though. The 360's achievements are nicely balanced from completing levels and story scenarios (which are easy to do), to completing the levels without dying once (which in some cases is insanely hard). Because of this, the 360 version gives more of an incentive to play the game than any of the other formats this game appears on.

In short, the game is fantastic fun, that shouldn't take too long, but if you strive for perfection, you might get more of a kick out of it on the Xbox360. It captures the charm of both Lego and Star Wars franchises and has a certain unique feel to it. If you've got kids, they'll probably want this game. But even if you don't, its no reason not to give this game a try.