How is this game a 7.5?

#1 Posted by SolidPandaG (218 posts) -

Easy 9 in my eyes. The combat here makes Skyrim look like you're fighting with paper swords. Wooden characters, wooden animations, wooden combat, wooden mechanics and that game gets a higher score? Idiocy.

Amalur is probably the greatest RPG of 2012. My character was so pimp, he could nearly oneshot anything, including that idiot pirate from the DLC. Owned that scrub hard. Washing his bits off the sand with ice still.

#2 Posted by CylonRaider01 (217 posts) -

I would gladly give 9.0 too,but they rated 7.5 because:your char doesnt speak,doesnt have an relationship more than "friend" with others,crafting system is too easy for them,i for one love it like that.For them also there are too simple chars they are too "lifeless"they dont emulate life enough for them.The story they say is weak and they took points out for it too, but for me the combat system wich is fantastic for me not to mention the spells you cast they look awsome,boss fights are enjoyable,weapons are nice.They should give it at least 8.7 not 7.5 cuz the things mentioned above rly compensate the chars and story.

#3 Posted by poppen695 (2364 posts) -

It's a 7.5 because it's Gamespot...one of the most rudypoo amateur "professional review" sites on the web. Follow this advice and you will be ok: You come to gamespot for the previews, forums, and walkthroughs...if you stay to read the reviews you are an idiot.

#4 Posted by JimB (143 posts) -

This is a great game. The combat and spells are the best I have seen. The leveling system is geared to the character you wish to play. The crafting is really good.

#5 Posted by Talus057 (354 posts) -

Yeah. GameSpot has always given crap reviews. If GameSpot rates anything lower than an 8 I know to definitely play it at some point. If it's higher than an 8 I know I probably won't like it, ie skyrim, mass effect 3, nba 2k13 ... etc.

#6 Posted by cprmauldin (1567 posts) -

I tend to agree. I'm only about 20 hours in, but so far this game is easily one of the top 10 RPGs on the 360.

#7 Posted by Nikolaj-11 (3007 posts) -

I agree with Gamespot.

I like Amalur well enough, but there are some small points that keep me from enjoying it fully.

1) Your character doesn't have any personality. And this is not just because s/he is silent, but the choice of expression overall is extremely limited. Basically you choose to be good or kill evberyone and that's it. There are no reflections and no focks given about any consequences. There is just the quest. My character lacks motivation.

2) The lore assumes you know more than you do. A lot of the dialogue assumes you know things about the world that you don't. Even then, this game has the most investigative dialogue I have ever seen, it just never relates or explains properly.

3) It's too cheesy. Snobbish Elves, Scottish Dwarves and Humans being the middle-ground in idiocy and brilliance. It's a copy of every other RPG out there with new names and a paint job.

4) Introduction is too long. I bought the game back in december but got bored because the game took too long explaining what exaclty is special about you. Sure we get that we can "shape fate" but we have no Idea what it means.

5) The world is beutiful but the characters have either no or stupid expressions. Most of the time no one looks like they give a fock. Now and then the PC reacts on something, but since s/he is silent tha seems mute.

6) You don't have any friends. Sure there are NPC's that consider you a buddy after you do their quests, but no one cares about you. The first time someone asked me what I (my character) wanted was at the end of the House of Ballads questline when you cvonfront that maiden girl.

7) It's just not funny. No one cracks a joke, ever. The gnomes are a funny bunch sure, but they take themselves too seriously.

Basically the main character doesn't have a personality or any friends, which makes the world seem even more lonely that Skyrim, and a part of Skyrim is made to make you feel lonely.

Amalur would truly have been a great game for me if you had (the possibility) to have permanent companions, concentrated characters like Dragon Age or Mass Effect. A good story requires good characters and the only one i came across in Amalur was that Gnome that resurrected you.
That coupled with some more advanced animations and a more controleable camera would make the game truly great to me.

Until then it's a 7 for me. 

#8 Posted by Ghost345 (74 posts) -

I feel the same way even though I gave it an 8. It is too bland and general in many areas. I keep reminding myself that it is an Action game with rpg elements not an  RPG or Action RPG for that matter. Deeper custumization and storyline would have been nice but it is still a good first entry that could be developed into something more if the studio wasnt shutdown.

#9 Posted by Nikolaj-11 (3007 posts) -

Yeah, Amalur had the lore to build upon. If they coupled the art style with a writing team like Bioware's or Obsidian's and spent more on animations they could have build a marvel of a game.

#10 Posted by pltr (54 posts) -

Indeed, I don't understand why. 7.5 is way too generous.

#11 Posted by huerito323 (1371 posts) -

I feel the same way even though I gave it an 8. It is too bland and general in many areas. I keep reminding myself that it is an Action game with rpg elements not an  RPG or Action RPG for that matter. Deeper custumization and storyline would have been nice but it is still a good first entry that could be developed into something more if the studio wasnt shutdown.

Ghost345

Umm what? This is an action-RPG. 

I love it when people think they're smarter than everyone else and make up their own definition of a genre. 

Please give me the definition of a RPG, action- rpg, and action game with rpg elements. Im dying to know. LOL

#12 Posted by DrVenture333x2 (98 posts) -

Because there's a ton wrong with this game. Waaaaaaaay too many bugs/glitches. Ridiculous loading times. Not really any story. It,s fun, but also frustrating.