What's the stupid plot twist then?

#1 Posted by markus_markmark (104 posts) -

Being a fan of Saber Interactive's own TimeShift, I was excited to play Inversion... but after reading Gamespot's review, IGN's review and countless other reviews all claiming it to be a load of rubbish, I'm no longer going to bother.

However, Mark Walton's review mentions a stupid plot twist, and now I want to know what it is, mainly because it really can't be any worse than Bionic Commanndo's "OMG MY BIONIC ARM IS ACTUALLY MY DEAD WIFE!!!1" twist.

So... come on! Someone enlighten me!

#2 Posted by Cakolukia (245 posts) -

Lol I remember that in Bionic Commando. God that game was awful....

I'm only on Chapter 12 in Inversion right now (It has 13 chapters), so idk if it's a very late game plot twist, but they had one part a few chapters ago where you look outside of a window and find out you're actually in space and that your planet is part of a machine...or something...it's like, one of many planets very similar that are now being gathered by the Lutadore to be used some how.

Other than that, they haven't explained much more except that the Lutadore fight off these robot things that also try to kill you. Hopefully they explain everything at the very end.

#3 Posted by markus_markmark (104 posts) -

That "collecting planets" thing sounds catastrophically stupid, so maybe that's what Mark referred to in his review. While we're here, is Inversion really that bad? I like to think I'm quite easy to please, but even I have to draw the line somewhere. It's just that I was really psyched for Inversion and am quite disappointed at how poorly it's been received.

(I liked Bionic Commando, FYI. Played through it twice. It's one of the most criminally underrated, underappreciated games of this gen)

#4 Posted by Cakolukia (245 posts) -

That "collecting planets" thing sounds catastrophically stupid, so maybe that's what Mark referred to in his review. While we're here, is Inversion really that bad? I like to think I'm quite easy to please, but even I have to draw the line somewhere. It's just that I was really psyched for Inversion and am quite disappointed at how poorly it's been received.

(I liked Bionic Commando, FYI. Played through it twice. It's one of the most criminally underrated, underappreciated games of this gen)

markus_markmark

My feelings for Bionic Commando are extremely hindered by the fact that I was playing it through on the hardest difficulty WHILE going for the collectables AND challenges all on one playthrough. Sh*t pissed me off lol, but I felt very accomplished after completing it.

Now, Inversion is actually pretty good and if you liked BC, I'm sure you could find enjoyment in this, though I don't recommend a $60 purchase. I rented it and am now currently on the last level after around 10 hours of play. It's not very fine tuned, and a few spots can really piss you off while playing on hard (namely the spot I'm at right now), but it's definitely doable and I've had a pretty good time with it. Honestly don't know why it got a 4/10, that's really bad and this game isn't. 

#5 Posted by your_evil_twin (25 posts) -

I've been watching someone play through the game on youtube, and will definately be purchasing it when it is released in the UK. The plot twist is actually quite good as there's lots of clues throughout the game.

The characters comment on the fact that the Lutadores seem to be a tribe of dumb thugs brutes that talk in broken English and worship blood sacrifices... and yet they have advanced vehicles and gravity-based weapons. The first boss-fight of the game is an "Unknown Robot" that comes out of hole in the ground and it attacks the Lutadores as well as the players (it seems that's why they are willing to risk giving the Gravlinks to human slaves to do the digging for them). Some of the characters theorise that the Lutadores are aliens, but there's been no spaceships, while your partner suggests that maybe they are some sort of underground civilisation.

A mere hour into the game I had come up with a theory involving time travel. Every sci-fi fan knows there's a connection between gravity and space and time, so I thought the Lutadores might actually be the human race from the future. The "Unknown Robot" came out of some tunnel that had an old sign marked "Gravity Vacuum Chamber" and it made me think that our own scientists did some gravity experiment that ripped a hole in space and time and mixed up two different eras, causing us to end up in a war with our future selves, and this long war would eventually cause us to devolve into barbaric brutes who no longer understand how our own technology works.

However, it became clear that this was probably not the case when going deep underground led into an advanced sci-fi complex that looked like something out of Mass Effect, and that whatever this place it was huge as it had its own train system. This suggested that our world had been built on the ruins of some advanced sci-fi civilisation that existed millions of years ago and then had been mostly wiped out somehow, and maybe the Lutadores were what remained of this ancient civilisation, and living underground for millienia had caused to devolve and become the Morlocks from HG Wells' "The Time Machine".

I guessed the truth about half an hour before the big reveal: the main character's "world" is actually just a country-sized dome on a huge spacecraft, and digging into the ground gets you into the bowels of the ship. There are lots of domes, and the Lutadores are a thuggish civilisation that lives in another dome who have broken out and are invading our dome.

There's a number of clues that the world is not-as-it-seems. You get taken to a desert prison camp one day after the start of the invasion, and the location is "The Wasteland" and one day seems a bit fast for anywhere to become a wasteland. Later in the game there's a cemetary and someone says it must be very old as "people stopped burying the dead centuries ago", despite the fact that the game seems to be set on present-day Earth. Presumably our overlords gave us some sort of cultural dislike of digging up the ground to avoid us discovering machinery beneath the ground, and a belief that everything outside the city is a barren wasteland to discourage us from exploring and learning that we live in a tiny country-sized world.  And actually there's a clue very early in the game: there's a bit where you remember your daughter saying "You promised you were going to take me to the Edge, daddy!" Later in the game a soldier wonders why the Lutadores would take the slaves "to the edge of the world". The "Edge" seems to be a big canyon with more desert beyond it, but I guess it's actually the edge of the world! Presumably beyond it there are holographic walls like the Star Trek holodeck or a high-tech version of Jim Carrey's dome in The Truman Show.

I've only seen two thirds of the game so far so I don't yet know all the mysteries - I think there's an actual reason why the Lutadores have broken out of their dome and invaded ours. The ship's automated defence systems are trying to wipe out both the Lutadores and the main characters as their presence in the ship could "interfere with Inversion", so it seems that something big and nasty is going to happen and the Lutadores are trying to prevent it from happening.

#6 Posted by Cakolukia (245 posts) -

Just beat the game. The twist is most likely the aforementioned planet dome thing, but you also find out in the last cutscene that.....

SPOILERS.....

Your partner found your daughter dead near the beginning of the game and just didn't tell you so that you'd have the motivation to kill all the invaders. It was a cool little twist and made the story make sense cause I was always wondering why your partner was just tagging along.

#7 Posted by Mafon2 (25 posts) -

The twist is 

SPOILERS

that the world you live in is a part of huge cosmic ship, which transports many look a-like worlds to the destination unknown. Lutadores world was the same as yours, but through the damge of some hardware their gravity field got messed up, which cause apocalypse and total madmaxness. They dig in the core of their dome and found space ship and other domes. They were in desperate need of resourses so they've started to mess things up for others.

I can assume that the citizens of the domes are descendants of eartmen ? all the text in domes and on ship are made in english.

Something like that. Yes, and daughter twist too.

#8 Posted by CaptainScrubby (64 posts) -

Being a fan of Saber Interactive's own TimeShift, I was excited to play Inversion... but after reading Gamespot's review, IGN's review and countless other reviews all claiming it to be a load of rubbish, I'm no longer going to bother.

However, Mark Walton's review mentions a stupid plot twist, and now I want to know what it is, mainly because it really can't be any worse than Bionic Commanndo's "OMG MY BIONIC ARM IS ACTUALLY MY DEAD WIFE!!!1" twist.

So... come on! Someone enlighten me!

markus_markmark

Don't believe Gamespot's review Namco decided not to pay and doesn't have any advertisements on the site (meaning money for Gamespot) so they decided to punish Namco with a bogus review. This game should be re-reviewed and fans should demand a re-review, gamespot is corrupt they take bribes and do paid reviews and give unjust testimony when they aren't paid.

#9 Posted by Mochipants (25 posts) -

Don't believe Gamespot's review Namco decided not to pay and doesn't have any advertisements on the site (meaning money for Gamespot) so they decided to punish Namco with a bogus review. This game should be re-reviewed and fans should demand a re-review, gamespot is corrupt they take bribes and do paid reviews and give unjust testimony when they aren't paid.

CaptainScrubby
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the one person who blindly defends this game is also the one guy who can't seem to grasp the concept of grammar and punctuation? Could there be a correlation between low intelligence and meat-headed obsession with bad shooters? EGADS!
#10 Posted by Anarky86 (25 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaptainScrubby"]

Mochipants

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the one person who blindly defends this game is also the one guy who can't seem to grasp the concept of grammar and punctuation? Could there be a correlation between low intelligence and meat-headed obsession with bad shooters? EGADS!

Agreed...

BTW Gamespot isn't the only one bashing at bad shooter games...  They try to include gravity in a game when all it does is make stuff just a little easier to shoot.... Really for 60$ ? Charge me 20$ for the piece of garbage cover shooter and then i'll give it a 7/10... When i review stuff, I take into account the price i was asked to enjoy it... When i pay 5 $ for a game heavily reduced by Steam or others, i don't expect something new or something fantastic... Charge me 10$ for Batman in digital at the movies, sure.... Charge me 10$ for a 15 minutes show of puppets on stick, I may be expecting a fffing good show or a fundraiser.... Even then i'd probably pay 10 $ to avoid it all together.

Same thing for bad games, if you want to charge me prime rates for a piece of garbage, i expect quality for the price i payed. Why do you think the used game market is so problematic for publishers?? Of course they are losing sales because some buyers will skip the 60$ price tag for one that fits with their budget or with their expectations of the game. But when the economy worldwide is in bad shape, you tend to stay away from games you are unsure of, to concentrate on what you think are products that are worthy of you hard earned cash... When gamespot tells me it's a 4/10, i often just check out a second source and you know what? I give them %$ a momth because they save me hundreds a year in bad gaming investments. I will buy midly bad games sometimes, at a price tag i think represents the value of the prudct I'm presented.... Btw English isn't my first language so screw you ;) in advance...

#11 Posted by sorin_ro (78 posts) -

oh common only 4 out of 10???? this game isnt bad at all!!!!

#12 Posted by CaptainScrubby (64 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mochipants"][QUOTE="CaptainScrubby"]

Anarky86

Agreed...

Point to some bad grammar and misplaced punctuation then, I'm not blindly defending the game btw it was unfairly reviewed. The game is generic, it's pretty much exactly what you would expect from a cover based shooter. Reviewers who criticize it for not being innovative enough aren't criticizing it based on what it is, but what they wanted it to be.

The way the gamespot reviewer treated the story was particularly bad. I mean come on, compared to the story and acting in other shooters this is pretty good, and how is this a stupid twist? Because it's not set in our world with our space programs and everything we know about the universe? I guess that would make Bioshock pretty stupid too then, and Fallout for sure.