Why was the Gamespot Hitman Absolution review taken down?

#1 Posted by Bahger (172 posts) -

Just curious. What did the review make of the game?

#2 Posted by Clynol (3 posts) -

No idea why it was taken down but hopefully its because im not the only person who thinks Kevin VanOrd is a retard for rateing it 7.5 much like how he stupidly rated Resident Evil 6 a 4.5.

#3 Posted by anuraag01 (8 posts) -

Yeah. 7.5 looked downright silly. 
This game is sui generis - it's the best stealth assassin shooter because it's the only one.
To say that it doesn't match up to something like Gears of War as a cover based shooter is to say that GTA III didn't match up to Gran Tourismo as a racing sim.

Hopefully we'll see a better review soon. 

#4 Posted by OmenUK (3302 posts) -

No idea why it was taken down but hopefully its because im not the only person who thinks Kevin VanOrd is a retard for rateing it 7.5 much like how he stupidly rated Resident Evil 6 a 4.5.

Clynol

You are not alone I agree with you, I didn't think RE6 should have scored hight, but it was wroth maybe a 6.5 or 7.0.  As for Hitman Absolution I've pre-ordered it but couldn't wait so watched the walkthrough on YouTube and it looks really good, wouldn't say it was too easy although I guess if you go playing it on the normal level instead of the harder difficulty levels it will appear easy (DOH), which means KVO was b******g about something that wasn't even a problem.

Also if he had done his job he'd have known that the game developers have said that many found the previous versions of the game were too difficult, so this game was set up to appeal not just to the hardcore fans of Hitman, and those that wanted it to be a difficult challenge, but also to those who may have otherwise struggled with the old games by making it as accessible to more people.

Also have to say that considering the review only seemed to show parts of the earlier missions which are naturally a little easier as you are getting accustomed to the controls and gameplay, it's unfair to think the whole game plays like that.

These 'people' like KVO etc at GS think they are journalists, they are not, they are just reviewers and maybe they should bare that in mind in future instead of trying to be something they are not.

Review Score 3.0/10 

#5 Posted by puppet12ca (177 posts) -

Okay first why the review was taken down probably because it was put up too early I'm guessing it was the now playing video that was sheduled to be put up today and the review was ptobably sheduled to be p[ut up monday and it was just a mix up between the 2

Second as for Van Ord's review he mentions plenty of positives on the design, sound, voice acting and gameplay. Negatives essentially seemed to revolve around the enemy AI not being quite up to snuff in gunfights, Some levels lacking tension in either being more linear or ending in an easily remedied shoutout and the lack of difficulty on the standard setting( to his credit Van Ord recommends series vets make use of higher difficulties).

Overall this was a positive review as I'm sure people will see when it gets put up again My only issues Are that I felt he could have touched more on Contracts Mode and he did not appear to touch on the challenges for each mission and the unlockable skills, and weapon upgrades in Contracts mode(Though this will probably be present when his full written review is posted)

I'll admit I would have probably scored it higher for its rplayability aspects but I have yet to play the game so I can't really judge too much

Overall I'm of the opinion this was a positive and mostly well reasoned review and I think most people should calm down before freaking out over a review score for a game that is not even officially out yet

#6 Posted by Kaine852 (195 posts) -

I agree with the speculation that it was posted too early rather than a re-review of the game

#7 Posted by emiroas (178 posts) -

If Kevin says that is a 7.5, then is a 7.5, period!!

...and that means that is a mediocre game with a few good things worth to mention.Thats it,and thats all!

#8 Posted by pimpofdoom (999 posts) -

The Xbox 360 7.5 review stands.

#9 Posted by hughobrien (177 posts) -

...and that means that is a mediocre game with a few good things worth to mention.Thats it,and thats all!

emiroas
And that's wrong. A 5.0 is a mediocre game. A 7.5 is a game that's good and could have been great if it weren't for a couple of issues. That's the problem with review scores, people decide on the basis of arbitrary numbers instead of actually paying attention to what is said in the review.
#10 Posted by jackliu239 (880 posts) -

It got took down because someone put a hit on it.

#11 Posted by TheKrustaceox (21 posts) -
i think Absolution is too linear, and there is little options or different ways to kill your target.
#12 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

[QUOTE="emiroas"]

hughobrien

And that's wrong. A 5.0 is a mediocre game. A 7.5 is a game that's good and could have been great if it weren't for a couple of issues. That's the problem with review scores, people decide on the basis of arbitrary numbers instead of actually paying attention to what is said in the review.

Exactly. Not to mention he was overly generous anyways. The missions are too small and linear and cooridoor focused. I guess I wouldn't mind all that much if I hadn't played Blood Money, but I did, so yeah this is worth a 5 at most to me.