Please, I need your opinions

#1 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -

I am looking for anyone that has played Hitman: Blood Money and really liked it.  If you have actually played the other three previous titles, that helps.  I would like to see people's comparison of Hitman: Absolution to Hitman: Blood Money.

Does this new entry really deviate from the last one, or is it the next logical evolution in the Hitman series?

The reviews are all over the place for this game.  I feel like a lot of the reviews are coming from people that aren't familiar with these titles and that definitely affects their understanding of what the fans of the Hitman want from this game.  I am excited that after 6 years we finally have another Hitman, but I am not sure if I want to invest the money if it is really as bad as some of the reviewers say.

What does everyone think?  Is this a new Hitman game or has this become something else that just bears the name Hitman?

#2 Posted by DaDumb1 (3844 posts) -

The game is still a great game, but it often takes away focus on its strong points and puts focus on its weaker ones. For example, the assassinations are all still as great as ever with plenty of creative ways to take down targets, but there are a lot of straight stealth segments in between that, while most are still enjoyable, are definitely not the game's strong point and it's kind of baffling as to why they made so many of them. Same goes with the story. You have this great parallel between 47 and Victoria, with 47 empathizing with the pain she's gone through and even seeing a reflection of himself in her, but the game drops that almost immediately and instead chooses to focus on lazy, poorly written villain characters that aren't interesting and come off as kind of embarassing. It's still a great game, but it could have been a superb game with a little more focus. However, the replay value is through the charts, with fun challenges and an excellent Contracts Mode. I've played all the other titles and I can promise you will enjoy it if you can set aside any bias you may have. I'd give it an 8.

#3 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -

Alright, I appreciate your opinion.  I don't actually care about the story at all, unless they are shoving it down our throats.  Replayability is huge for me and so is the option to assasinate your target in a variety of ways.  I feel like I am getting a lot of different opinions on variation.  Some people are saying it is linear and some make it sound like Blood Money, with all of the different kill possibilites.

I suppose I don't mind if some of the game is pushing me forward as lond as there are some sandbox style levels that allow me to do what I want.  I got SA on every level of Blood Money, but I also enjoyed going in and mowing down crowds of people and trying to run for it.

I also heard there is no upgrading weapons, I really liked choosing specific weapons once I had completed the game.  I could go back to the original levels where I had to strangle some people and instead took out my sniper rifle and took them out at a distance.  Sometimes it sounds like the contracts mode is the only part that really resembles Blood Money.  Is contracts mode any good, or is it a good idea that doesn't really come together and feel like Blood Money?

#4 Posted by tmacman (925 posts) -
The actual assassination areas are quite small most of the time, and a lot of the game is linear "hallways" of basic sneaking to get to those points. Basically, unlike blood money, you don't get full exploration of a fair size map and the current disguise system is less "hide in plain site" and more "if you have a disguise, play like you don't, except quickly hold the instinct button if anyone sees you in a disguise", yeah that's not hitman. The game pitches freedom all over the place, but there's definitely less freedom than blood money. Who knows though, you might still enjoy it, as I've said countless times, it's not a bad game, nothing special, but not bad, I give it a 7/10, but don't think "Well I enjoyed blood money, so I'm almost guaranteed to enjoy this". About contracts mode, well, it's quite limited, the more generic targets are just that, generic, they don't do much unlike a normal target. There's also no more smuggling weapons, 47 can put anything in his suit pockets now....yeah.
#5 Posted by tomkat69pc (977 posts) -

i think this is the first hitman game with a complete stringent and coherent story - while all the others before were more like a patchwork. 

some levels are huge once you find that there are different ways and many ways to be creative - the first time i played "fight night" i didn't even know that there is another option to get to sanchez - same goes with "skurkys law".

only complaint i have is the invisible line when you cross it says "trespassing" and you get spotted - but you can't really see that line and have to restart because you lose points.  or if you lower some crates for an accidential kill - the target is one step away and it's a fail - makes all your effort worthless ..

but so far it's the best hitman game, and i played all of them ..

#6 Posted by DaDumb1 (3844 posts) -

Alright, I appreciate your opinion.  I don't actually care about the story at all, unless they are shoving it down our throats.  Replayability is huge for me and so is the option to assasinate your target in a variety of ways.  I feel like I am getting a lot of different opinions on variation.  Some people are saying it is linear and some make it sound like Blood Money, with all of the different kill possibilites.

I suppose I don't mind if some of the game is pushing me forward as lond as there are some sandbox style levels that allow me to do what I want.  I got SA on every level of Blood Money, but I also enjoyed going in and mowing down crowds of people and trying to run for it.

I also heard there is no upgrading weapons, I really liked choosing specific weapons once I had completed the game.  I could go back to the original levels where I had to strangle some people and instead took out my sniper rifle and took them out at a distance.  Sometimes it sounds like the contracts mode is the only part that really resembles Blood Money.  Is contracts mode any good, or is it a good idea that doesn't really come together and feel like Blood Money?

gatsbythepig

Well first off, it is linear in some parts and open in others. The assassinations are open-ended areas, while the normal stealth missions are pretty linear. And some weapons can be upgraded but a lot of them can't. Agency weapons and the silverballers are the only ones that can be upgraded (which is rather odd to be honest). Contracts mode is pretty good, but the quality of the contract depends on the one who made it obviously. There are a lot of non-target NPCs with their own patterns and trying to match the creator's conditions can be a fun challenge.

#7 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -

Thanks for the responses... Does anyone else want to weigh-in their opinions on this topic?

#8 Posted by Cakolukia (245 posts) -

Alright, all I played before this was Blood Money, and I SA'd every mission on the hardest difficulty as well. It was one of my favorite games, and I played it four times completely through to 1000 the game's achievements.

Now, it's been a LONG time since I played that game, so my memory has slightly deteriorated. But...Hitman Absolution kicks ass. Sure, there are some levels that will get frustrating while not giving you the satisfaction of a "kill," but Contracts mode can fix those levels to give you someone to assassinate and the levels that DO require assassinations are amazing. I just finished a string of three back to back to back assassination missions entitled "Attack of the Saints." Lemme tell you, I'm playing on Professional difficulty, and learning exactly how to go through these three stages, and achieving Silent Assassin on each, was one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in a game.

Bonus - The game is not short, and the replayability is quite large.

Verdict - If you like Hitman and loved Blood Money, buy it.

#9 Posted by chiriosophus (2 posts) -
the blood money formula was superb, so i'm sorry they ruined that with forcing the player into confining stealth oriented areas. Yes, there are no loadouts in this comprisal.
#10 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -

Alright, all I played before this was Blood Money, and I SA'd every mission on the hardest difficulty as well. It was one of my favorite games, and I played it four times completely through to 1000 the game's achievements.

Now, it's been a LONG time since I played that game, so my memory has slightly deteriorated. But...Hitman Absolution kicks ass. Sure, there are some levels that will get frustrating while not giving you the satisfaction of a "kill," but Contracts mode can fix those levels to give you someone to assassinate and the levels that DO require assassinations are amazing. I just finished a string of three back to back to back assassination missions entitled "Attack of the Saints." Lemme tell you, I'm playing on Professional difficulty, and learning exactly how to go through these three stages, and achieving Silent Assassin on each, was one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in a game.

Cakolukia

Io and Square Enix should have had you on their sales team. I think you just convinced me.

I don't mind changes to the formula, I don't mind the storyline or how people perceive the change to 47 himself. I like the addition of more stealth and that costumes aren't the be all.

*I was more worried that the mechanics changed too much, so the game wouldn't have the same feel.*

The instinct mode makes me think there was a large change and I was concerned there would be a Batman/Splinter Cell feel. Don't get me wrong, I love Batman and Splinter Cell is a good game- just not my style. Like I stated earlier however, I think you just sold me the game.

#11 Posted by Cakolukia (245 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cakolukia"]

gatsbythepig

Io and Square Enix should have had you on their sales team. I think you just convinced me.

I don't mind changes to the formula, I don't mind the storyline or how people perceive the change to 47 himself. I like the addition of more stealth and that costumes aren't the be all.

*I was more worried that the mechanics changed too much, so the game wouldn't have the same feel.*

The instinct mode makes me think there was a large change and I was concerned there would be a Batman/Splinter Cell feel. Don't get me wrong, I love Batman and Splinter Cell is a good game- just not my style. Like I stated earlier however, I think you just sold me the game.

Yeah, I understand, but to be honest, I personally think Instinct just gave you one more obstacle (not a bad thing) to overcome. It makes you think more about what disguise you're wearing, and where you can or can't go. And if you do get caught, you have to use it up...which is a crucial loss so you better not mess up again. It's more of a one-time use failsafe. The game could've been done without it, but it didn't completely suck ass.

I didn't use the point-shoot mechanic at all though haha...but that's cause I like stealth :)

#12 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

Lets just say, you probably won't like this nearly as much as Hitman 2 or Blood Money.  Here's to hoping the next Hitman game stays true to the formula they perfected with Blood Money.

#13 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

The key differences gameplay wise from past installments is the disguise/detection system, scoring system, distraction items, point shooting, and a lack of selectable loadout and upgrades for weapons.

Disguise/Detection

In this one it's based on a few things. 1, Instinct, a meter that builds when you pull off stealth skills, which is spent when you "trick" people by concealing yourself via ducking your head when walking by. 2, Disguises similar to others wearing the same uniforms are now MUCH less effective. 3, Hide Spots are scattered here and there to pretend you are reading something, etc, but do not drain Instinct.

Scoring

Scoring is vague and confusing. There are many levels where you have no actual kill targets, so you cannot even get Silent Assassin rating in those. You can only break even on individual NPC score when subduing then hiding non target NPCs, but with the silent kill bonus, you can go into plus points by stealth killing them then hiding them, which makes no sense. You should never be able to get a better score with needless kills.

Loadout/Upgrades

The game is VERY linearly scripted as far as weapons and upgrades, even taking your Silver Ballers (silenced pistols) away from you for the first few levels. Upgrades are applied automatically when you achive various challenges in gameplay and are skill vs weapon based.

Distraction Items

Rather than an unlimited number of coins to toss for distraction, 47 has to find items scattered frequently throughout the game to toss, which can also be used as melee weapons. They can be wrenches, hammers, fire exteinguishers, bottles, golf clubs, toys, etc. Some break and cannot be reused. This idea IMO is not a problem and adds variety and strategy to the game.

Point Shooting

This is the ability to go into a standing super slow mo state wherever you are and pre mark enemies within view then initiate the attack, which puts 47 into a killing spree animation. It's a lot like the Mark and Execute feature of Splinter Cell Conviction. Your Instinct meter drains while using this and the  quicker you mark them the less it drains. This IMO is not bad or good, since you can choose whether to use it or not.

Summary

The main complaint has been that NPCs in like uniforms can so easily detect you as suspicious from great distances and even while not looking at you, particularly on higher difficulty levels. If they must stick with the existing disguse/detection system, they need to at least tweak the distance and viewing angle at which they can spot you.

It's not that this element of the game is broken in the sense that you cannot work around it, it's broken in the sense that it has you doing ridiculous things like crouch hiding amongst civlians or even cops just to avoid people in like uniforms from seeing you at all. In other words it has you behaving even MORE suspiociously, especially on higher difficulty levels.

Scoring needs more menu explanation or a tutorial, and there's some points that clearly shouldn't be given for actions that are not only unnecessary, but not in keeping with a stealth assassin. Do a search for a scoring wiki, tutorial, guide or even simple explanation, and all you will find is basic things like X bonus or deduction points being applied for each described action within the scoring system, without any explanation as to what scores give you what ratings, and what ratings are possible in each level.

It would be FAR better to be able to choose your loadout and upgrades than have them scripted, but IMO this is far less of a concern than the other two problems mentioned.

#14 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -

I gotta say, that is a very well thought out and written explanation of Absolution.  Thanks for taking the time to share that information.  One last thing- Is it worth getting, or were you disappointed by the experience?

#15 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

I gotta say, that is a very well thought out and written explanation of Absolution.  Thanks for taking the time to share that information.  One last thing- Is it worth getting, or were you disappointed by the experience?gatsbythepig

Honestly, I have mixed emotions about it. At times it is very rewarding and engaging to play. At others it's a bit ridiculous, not so much hard, just weird. The new Instinct tricking, hide spot, and suspicion of similar uniforms they implemented takes some getting used to, and in levels where you have to use such features, it will ALWAYS feel more arcade than other Hitman titles.

Then again, there are some levels where you can just use timed sneaks and not rely on the gimmicks, except for distractions, which has always been a Hitman staple. It really depends on what Hitman games if any you've played, what tactics you liked using, and what you can tolerate. If none of what I mentioned bothers you, I'd say it's worth getting, maybe even at current prices.

If any of what I said DOES bother you though, I would seriously consider waiting to see if and how they patch the game, and by then prices might drop a bit too. They did add a lot of cool things in this one. There's lots of ways to get through maps, lots of ways to kill people, and some great, sometimes humorous, challenges to try.

And despite my feeling the Instinct and hide spots to be a bit arcade and contrived, at times they are rather clever, such as being able to diguise yourself by taking a scarecrow's clothes in a cornfield and using crucifix type perches here and there to hide on with arms outstretched. So if you don't mind the arcade elements, which can have you doing strange things, you may like it.

#16 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -

I will almost definitely be buying this game but I am glad I opted out of the pre-order.  I'll pick this up when it drops to $30 or less.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to help explain what absolution is like.  It's amazing that none of the reviews I read from major news agencies involved in gaming reviews gave me no indication of how this game plays.

#17 Posted by LegendaryBadass (366 posts) -

It's still a very good game, but there are so many other choices in the stealth genre that it's a shame that Absolution drifts away from the hit aspect when far fewer games are about crafty assisnations in modern times.

#18 Posted by alphatango1 (3778 posts) -

I have played all the Hitman games. This one is more polished, has better graphics and animation. I quite like the story but I would of liked to know why Diane went rogue. I think that and discovery her motives would have been a far more interesting story.

The game play itself seems to be lending itself to a different audience. There is a fair bit of hand holding. From a creative standpoint the game is very linear and does not let you off the leash until the later missions. Hitman has always been about variety and imagination. Violence  and 'going loud' is the trade mark of the amateur. This series seems to have embraced it with open arms.

My biggest annoyance are the maps. Way too small and restrictive. The devs have also dispensed with some of the most basic tenants of the game. Namely selecting your load out and allowing you to spend money on developing ones that suit your style. I get the impression that this was a little rushed and they threw the baby out with the bath water.

So it could of been a great game but I still enjoy it.

#19 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

I have mixed emnotions about it like you, but I couldn't help but notice some points that seem reveerse of certain things you commented on.

Better graphics, yes, obviously, but better animation?  Guns and items appear and disappear from your hand. Subduing enemies from around corners often results in them no clipping through door jams and such too. Bodies at times have strange physical reactions to objects. With this level of graphics, they should have had more polished animations and physics.

They pretty much explained that Diana went rogue because she saw first hand how barbaric their genealogical testing was, thus the whole point of the story, saving Victoria from becoming their slave. That can't be done without kidnapping her and going rogue. She probably didn't trust anyone else to do it either.

There's actually less "hand holding" in this one due to having to explore to get intel on how to take out targets. In other titles Diana would fully brief you on a specific plan.

While the lack of loadouts and safe houses is less convenient, it fits the story better. You're obviously not going to be able to afford such luxuries when rogue, and again, this is less, not more, "hand holding".

Having to find items to toss for distraction vs having an unlimited number of coins on you is also less hand holding.

Lastly, while the maps ARE smaller, the gameplay itself in many ways is actually less linear. You discover and choose on your own how to take out enemies, and there are always several ways, vs just going to a set vantage point and sniping a target as briefed. Frankly, given the choice, I'd prefer a smaller map and more investgation and choices, vs a strict set of guidelines and one method.

#20 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -

Everyone is being really helpful and that's wonderful. Please be careful about posting *spoilers*. There are a lot of peolple reading these comments who have never played this game. I am not directing this at anyone in particular, it is just meant to be a gentle reminder.

Thanks again

#21 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -

Now I am just waiting for a good deal.  It has already dropped $15, but I am waiting for a little more.  If anyone sees this game for sale on the xbox 360, please let me know.

#22 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

I never understood why those not wanting spoilers even would continue on reading comments that show clear signs of revealing details well before any spoilers are revealed.

For instance it should be obvious to you when a sentence starts out "They pretty much explained that Diana went rogue because...", you simply don't continue reading if you don't want spoilers.

#24 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -

I never understood why those not wanting spoilers even would continue on reading comments that show clear signs of revealing details well before any spoilers are revealed.

For instance it should be obvious to you when a sentence starts out "They pretty much explained that Diana went rogue because...", you simply don't continue reading if you don't want spoilers.

Frag_Maniac

So true, which is why I stopped reading after,"Diana went rogue". Then I said damnit, "I didn't know Diana went Rogue". Too late, I already learned a spoiler about the game. As it so happens, I don't care that much about Hitman's story.

The spoiler alert isn't for you though, like a turning signal on your car. You already know where you wrote about the story, just like you know where you are going to turn. No one else does though, so you give them a heads up. That way, when an unsuspecting reader comes across a spoiler, they can easily skip over the sentence or paragraph. Then they can continue reading for more useful information.  Which is like a driver knowing ahead of time, that guy is going to turn, so I need to slow down, or get around them.

This comment isn't really directed at you frag, it was designed to give everyone a heads up. We don't want to spoil the game for anyone, especially after all of these great reviews and comparisons that everyone has contributed. As it turns out, there was more important information after the spoilers. No one would ever know when to continue reading unless a spoiler sign was present.  Thanks for everyone's contributions, I have learned a lot about this game.

#25 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Uh, still nit picking IMO. He made it clear he had played the game, so as soon as you read "I quite like the story but...", it should have been a clue to you that if you read further he was going to talk about the story.

Again, you can't fault others for your own curiosity. If you really don't want ANY spoilers, don't continue reading something that is clearly aimed at talking about the story.

#26 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -

Almost everyone that has left comments has played the game, so that is not a good indicator. The standard on most websites is to let people know when a spoiler is about to be present. You can't fault curious people for reading good information with a nugget of poorly placed information. This thread has been filled with above average critiques of the game, many of which came from you. There are thoughtful posts that I want to read through because there have been many solid contributions.

Then there is a spoiler put right in the middle of one of these posts. Again, the spoiler isn't for the person posting, it's for the reader. Specifically in this thread, for people who haven't played the game. You might thnk it's nitpicking but everyone that read through the posts looking for information, has to come across the exposed portions of the story. There was no indication when the spoiler would start or end. Is it fair that someone who is genuinely learning about the game mehanics accidentally comes across information that can potentially ruin the plot? No, of course not.

Here's the important part- Since the previous information, before the spoiler, was so well done, the reader may want to continue, but can't know where to start reading again. Simply because there was no indicator where to begin again, after the spoiler had stopped.

Like a turn inidcator on your car, it is not for you, it is for everyone else.

#27 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

There was no indication when the spoiler would start or end.gatsbythepig

Actually the "I quite like the story but..." part I exampled was plenty good indication.

Just be more careful what you read. Part of the appeal of this forum is the mods and members don't walk on egg shells. They buy the games early and play them, and in doing so earn the righbt to assertively speak about them freely.

Enough said, I'm not going to argue this any further.

#29 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -

You changed your answer, showing me that it is difficult to ascertain the best place to stop reading, as I keep trying to explain. I noticed you avoided answering the difficult part of my question... and you have to be joking about the,"be more careful what you read."  That's just silly when almost everyone(ahem)warns their readers.  There is a generic standard, *spoiler alert*, everyone else uses it to make it easier on the reader.  

Do you only act certain ways when authorities are watching you? Why would you care or even mention mods?  I behave the way I would like to be treated, so I was nicely trying to point out that, with minimal effort, you could let readers know that you are about to ruin a portion of the story.  I don't even understand the part about how since you bought it you have the right to mess it up for others.Other than this being an annoyingly one sided conversation, I did appreciate your earlier input.  So thank you for that.

Regardless, Hitman Absolution is $39.99 on the xbox right now. Hitman Trilogy HD comes out in January for $39.99

#30 Posted by hung1810 (2 posts) -
Well, Absolution got better graphics than its prequels (duh) but the music sucks. The game-play is more aggressive, you could read hints about objects that you could interact with. That makes the game less challenging. Oh and 47's face is just... meh. He doesn't look "cold" anymore but look a little angry instead. So, in conclusion I'll play Absolution to experience the new Hitman but I'll stick to Blood Money.
#31 Posted by idunnodude (2282 posts) -

hey i got absolution for $30 today at ebgames. i dunno i thought it was a pretty good price considering its a fairly new game.

#32 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -

That's a great price! I decided to wait one more month. The Professional Edition is $49.99 and the regular is $29.99 now. With my $20 rebate, that's $9 + tax.

#33 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

hey i got absolution for $30 today at ebgames. i dunno i thought it was a pretty good price considering its a fairly new game.idunnodude

I got Hitman Absolution, Far Cry 3 and Sleeping Dogs all for free when I bought my 7970, wich was only $330. All are great games, and the 7970 is a beast and is getting lots of good driver updates lately. Word is AMD caught wind of a 7950/660 Ti comparison one site did that showed latency problems resulting in dropped frames and lower FPS on AMD, so they're plannning to do a special memory related driver tweak soon, which should make a huge difference.

Some claim the PC platform is riddled with compatibility problems, unfixed bugs in games, and expensive upgrade requirements. While it does suffer some of that, it's also the only platform that gives you lots of choices and has great pricing and specials on games, even at or near relaease. You have the freedom to live with what you bought for several years, or upgrade as you choose, and either can work well depending on the choices you make.

#34 Posted by rangeraa (2565 posts) -

I played all of the previous titles and find this one to be the weakest, although not by much. What really knocks this game down for me is the disguise system... My favourite thing in the previous games was the whole "hiding in plain sight" mechanic that disguises offered you and in this, as I'm sure you have read and other people have said, you cannot do that. It isn't game breaking but it definitely makes it a lot less of a Hitman game to me.