My review is up (PS3)

#1 Posted by Hellfire-1 (3532 posts) -

Always tough to decide what to say in a review, I decided to leave the story out of the review in case it spoiled anything for anyone.

but here it is: http://au.gamespot.com/hitman-absolution/user-reviews/803538/platform/ps3/

I don't really write reviews for games normally, but I felt this needed one, since gamespot doesn't even have a review up 2 days after launch.

For the reading impaired or lazy : 9/10

#2 Posted by ABakedAlien (307 posts) -

*Starts playing a small violin*

#3 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -

Thanks for the review.  One question.  How would you rate Blood Money?  I loved it and I am trying to get a feel for what someone else might think about the new one compared to the old one.

#4 Posted by OmenUK (3302 posts) -

Always tough to decide what to say in a review, I decided to leave the story out of the review in case it spoiled anything for anyone.

but here it is: http://au.gamespot.com/hitman-absolution/user-reviews/803538/platform/ps3/

I don't really write reviews for games normally, but I felt this needed one, since gamespot doesn't even have a review up 2 days after launch.

For the reading impaired or lazy : 9/10

Hellfire-1

Great review thanks for posting.  Agree with you're point about the instinct system.  I think the way that IO Interactive have added it to the game makes it less like a dumbing down or simplyfying of the gameplay and instead seems to fit in very well witht he overall gameplay a lot better than I think many would have been expecting.  Never a true fan before (always found it really difficult) but the lower difficulties are great for us novice's. 

#5 Posted by Hellfire-1 (3532 posts) -

Thanks for the review.  One question.  How would you rate Blood Money?  I loved it and I am trying to get a feel for what someone else might think about the new one compared to the old one.

gatsbythepig
Blood money got around an 8.0 for me when I origionally reviewed it, for the reasons that it was great, but there were some clunky points (47 walked at a turtle speed, hivemind A.I, fairly bland levels in between actual points, disguises made you invincible) But it got an 8.0 still because it had some really amazing points as well. Absolution moves away from the blood money formula of the Hitman game, but I feel it did it well.
#6 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Well written with flawless spelling, but you missed a few points.

Distractions are quite differnet now, requiring finding various items vs an unlimited number of coins. The items can also be used as melee weapons. I find this feature to better than the coins, even if they were a Hitman trademark of sorts.

Hand to hand is interesting, but the QTE prompts flashing so faintly and quickly can be awkward. Ironically the one time you need it most though, in the Sanchez fight, it's easy to pick up due to the same repeat sequences. I realize hand to hand is a last resort in a game like this, and shouldn't be easy, but it's one thing I think could be improved upon.

Your mention of scoring being based on things like fewest kills is not really true. If you'll notice it's possible to build your score via killing and hiding bodies, due to the silent kill bonus. You can actually score higher this way per NPC than just subduing and hiding them. IMO, in a stealth assassin game, you should never get a kill bonus for non target NPCs, silent or not.

Does this have the potential to be the best Hitman ever? Yes, in fact I actually thought it was when I first started playing it. Then I saw how contrived some levels are where Instinct and hide spots are required to get through with stealth. Anytime you have to employ a wall hack supervision that magically hides you from enemies, the game loses a lot of it's realism and immersion.

Yes, I know Instinct and the HUD aren't available on Purist, but I've seen the videos of how people play on that level, and many of the things they end up doing to get through unspotted just looks ridiculous. So on the one hand while you CAN say it's a matter of strategy and picking the right disguise, you can also say it throws any sense of realsim out the window that our protagonist can don the uniform of a store clerk and literally skulk along in a crouch by the one type of NPC in the game most intent on finding you, cops.

So why people imply Blood Money has it's magic disguise moments and Absolution doesn't is beyond me. Absolution has magic diguise, Instinct, AND hide spot elements to it. If anything it's a triple whammy on arcade gameplay. The levels also aren't very balanced from one to the other and do not in fact continuously scale toward the end as you imply. In fact the one level that should be very daunting, Death Factory, is in fact a walk in the park.

That said, there's a lot of great things they added, and like I said, I feel it has great potential. The problem is the stealth system in this game, particualrly due to the sophisticated AI, can be a tricky thing to balance. In the back of my mind I worry if they patch it they will make it too easy if they don't do it right. So at the end of the day, I favor replay value and challenge over realism and boredom. I know deep down they could have had the same level of challenge without using these magic features, but since they didn't choose to go that route, changing anything becomes a precarious perrch.