Let's just forget Blood Money for a second.

#1 Posted by DamnILoveGames (235 posts) -
First off I am NOT saying Blood Money is bad. Not by any stretch of the imagination, no. However, the Hitman that seems to be the most obvious choice to compare Absolution to is Blood Money. Makes sense I suppose, what with contracts and multiple ways to kill them etc. etc. However, pretty much 90% of people getting this game were expecting another Hitman Blood Money but with updated graphics. If we were to disregard this comparison, would you honestly still say it's a poor game? I hear so many people saying they took Blood Money and simplified it to appeal to a Call of Duty demographic, even though there was no (from what I recall) official conformation that they were going for a Blood Money approach whatsoever. And it also brings me back to the ever so annoying topic of gamers being too bloody fussy. They argue if a game is too similar, and then they argue if it's too different and strays from what made it good in the first place. If we stop comparing this to Blood Money and, for whatever bizarre and pathetic reason, Call of Duty, is this a bad game? Say Blood Money never existed, would you hate it? Now I see that you are entitled to your opinion, and some of you may call the marketing misleading. But say you hadn't considered the game having these big sandbox levels with about 20 ways to kill each target. Would you hate it? I only ask because I've completed it, and looking at it for what it is makes me find it hard to believe that it's bad. Ok it has its downsides like every game does, but I just feel that this comparison is 99% of the reason people don't like it as much. I write this actually feeling quite pissed off, because I feel the judgements are based on what people expected rather than what it is.
#2 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

I just posted this in another thread on these boards in reply to some of the arguements and criticisms that have been hurled at Absolution.

"I'm guessing most people who have commented only played Blood Money.

In Silent Assassin they had a blend of disguises and stealth. You used a disguise much the way you do in Absolution, they didn't give you instant freedom but they could potentially get you out of a sticky situation. They were not a crutch in previous games where Blood Money was the opposite, wearing a disguise was pretty much an instant win button.

Traditional stealth was a major element in the series prior to Blood Money, however with Blood Money they nearly removed this element in favour of a more streamlined mechanic.

I also notice some people spewing nonsense about the Instinct meter. Which is really no different than the God map from previous games. It serves the same purpose. They would highlight points of interest for the player in the God map on previous iterations as well. They would highlight enemies and you would be able to watch their patterns from across the map.

Atleast in Absolution you have to be in that room, monitering these enemies and adjusting your movements accordingly as you are not able to make out every enemies movements from afar like previous iterations. But one final note, Silent Assassin also had some far more linear levels, and Contracts had a few that while still fairly open, were more straight forward and less approachable than Blood Money as well. So this is nothing new to the franchise.

Absolution retains all elements of the franchise, everything. It may not be perfect, but it for the most part is masterfully executed and expertly crafted. Easily would get a 9.0 out of 10 from me"

The influence of Blood Money is still felt throughout Absolution, but at the same time Absolution is a return to form in ways. As Blood Money was focused around assassinations during social events and gatherings, Absolution takes Agent 47 behind enemy lines yet again.

Previous iterations before Blood Money had some more focused levels that are in complete contrast to what Blood Money had offered. While I find it completetly understandable that one might prefer Blood Money, I do not think that Absolution should be directly compared to it as it should instead be directly compared to the series as a whole.

Absolution brings back and even refines certain elements, while also adding some needed difficulty to the game. Blood Money was a sandbox, but a relatively easy game in general. Some look at this latest entry as a casualization of the series, which is absurd. Blood Money was in terms of difficulty the easiest of the series, offering up little in the way of resistance through the game.

While Blood Money is my favourite, Absolution is a worthy successor and deserves love from any veteran of the series.

#3 Posted by Nietzschie666 (6 posts) -

First off, Agent 47 was an A-moral, psychotic hitman with no concern for anything but his bottom line....and now hes some protector of the innocent?...gimmie a break the story is HORRIBLE...a perversion of agent 47. Not only this but they have scrapped the safe house and pre-mission loadouts? ARE YOU KIDDING....some say well hes on the run so he wouldnt have a safe house.....HES AGENT 47!! He can have whatever he wants!!!...Its a video game, rather ironic to scrap one of the most popular features of the series in the name of "realism"...thats just lazy. Dont get me wrong, I love how they revamped combat in general, but I felt more like a hitman going on random unrelated missions for profit, rather than this moral crusade protecting the innocent hes on...its silly. If they patch this with a safe house, pre-mission loadouts and FIX the disguise system, it will be a fantastic game, until then it is an empty shell of its predecessors. Hitman has lost his soul by gaining a conscience.

#4 Posted by Nietzschie666 (6 posts) -

Well scrapping the safehouse and loadout options when replaying levels is inexcusable...that was just lazy. Please dont tell me it adds to the realism of being on the run....its a video game, you dont let realism get in the way of a popular game mechanic like the safehouse. I really would like to take the ultra-max light machine gun and visit the strip club...but I cant, because you have to buy the frickin thing from contracts even if you found it...LAME. The story is ridiculous...Agent 47 was an A-moral psychotic hitman with no concern for anything but his bank account, now hes running around on a moral crusade on behalf of someone hes never met? RIDICULOUS, Agent 47 would just as soon stick her with an ice pick as look at her...LOL

#5 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

First off, Agent 47 was an A-moral, psychotic hitman with no concern for anything but his bottom line....and now hes some protector of the innocent?...gimmie a break the story is HORRIBLE...a perversion of agent 47. Not only this but they have scrapped the safe house and pre-mission loadouts? ARE YOU KIDDING....some say well hes on the run so he wouldnt have a safe house.....HES AGENT 47!! He can have whatever he wants!!!...Its a video game, rather ironic to scrap one of the most popular features of the series in the name of "realism"...thats just lazy. Dont get me wrong, I love how they revamped combat in general, but I felt more like a hitman going on random unrelated missions for profit, rather than this moral crusade protecting the innocent hes on...its silly. If they patch this with a safe house, pre-mission loadouts and FIX the disguise system, it will be a fantastic game, until then it is an empty shell of its predecessors. Hitman has lost his soul by gaining a conscience.

Nietzschie666

He is not psychotic. Maybe you forgot but he has helped multiple people throughout the series. Maybe you forgot he left the past behind and donated money to the church and tended to the garden. He wanted God to forgive him for all he had done. Maybe you haven't even played previous entries in the series.

If you prefer the equipment select screen than that is your preference, however I personally prefer the procure on site method used in Absolution. Forces me to think on my toes and utilize my surroundings more. It forces me to find the tools I seek. However they do have an equipment select and upgrade system in place for Contracts mode. Which I think is a nice touch.

"lost his soul" "empty shell" Your ignorance is blinding.

#6 Posted by OmenUK (1268 posts) -

I remember the original Hitman games and have to say that I think Absolution is a great game because it is more accessible, allowing the less skillful players to pick up a controller and play it, while also giving the expert players the option of making it as easy or as difficult as they'd like it to be (and I read some of the details for the hardest difficulty which seems nigh on impossible but sure some will play that, and not only enjoy it but beat it.

You can not really compare it to Blood Money or any of the previous games, because in a way it is the same game, the basic mechanics of the game, and of the universe the story takes place in are the same, it is just maybe the controls are different, the graphics, obviously, are better, and there is more added to the gameplay to make it a more complete experience, but in general there the formula that made the previous title so popular seems to be intact.

For example I have heard people saying that instinct makes the game too easy, now ignoring the fact that the more difficult a level you play it at the less you get till there's none, but in story 47 is considered to be the best, the most elite hitman around, so wouldn't it be natural for him to have a good sense/predict peopple's movement's locations etc? (I am guessing some of these are the same people that rant and complain about games not being realistic enough).

#7 Posted by Nietzschie666 (6 posts) -

There is no reason why level replays shouldnt be given a loadout screen to choose any of the previous weapons youve collected, that always had me going back for more, collecting all the weapons into my safehouse cache....your right hitman may not be as bad as I portrayed him, I just liked the feel of random, globe trotting missions for profit. It made one feel detatched from the victim, nothing more than a dossier to be wrapped up before a 6 oclock appointment with the mercedes dealer. They really ought to make an pre-quel open world game where you travel the world going on hits for the agency...that would be bad ass.

#8 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

There is no reason why level replays shouldnt be given a loadout screen to choose any of the previous weapons youve collected, that always had me going back for more, collecting all the weapons into my safehouse cache....your right hitman may not be as bad as I portrayed him, I just liked the feel of random, globe trotting missions for profit. It made one feel detatched from the victim, nothing more than a dossier to be wrapped up before a 6 oclock appointment with the mercedes dealer. They really ought to make an pre-quel open world game where you travel the world going on hits for the agency...that would be bad ass.

Nietzschie666

I agree, after completion of the main story, the player should be able to go back and play through the story or individual missions utilizing an equipment screen. I also believe the player should be able to unlock an in game safe house (mini-level) with firing range an such after completion as well.

These are two things I think Absolution is sorely missing. However I don't think they drag the game down or hamper the experience enough for them to truly hurt the overall product.

#9 Posted by Leejjohno (14088 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nietzschie666"]

contracts420

He is not psychotic. Maybe you forgot but he has helped multiple people throughout the series. Maybe you forgot he left the past behind and donated money to the church and tended to the garden. He wanted God to forgive him for all he had done. Maybe you haven't even played previous entries in the series.

If you prefer the equipment select screen than that is your preference, however I personally prefer the procure on site method used in Absolution. Forces me to think on my toes and utilize my surroundings more. It forces me to find the tools I seek. However they do have an equipment select and upgrade system in place for Contracts mode. Which I think is a nice touch.

In blood money he deliberately killed a parcel delivery boy, a reporter, a dozen secret service agents and a canary out of self preservation.

One of the themes of the Hitman games is that 47 is an otherwise good guy who has been made into a product of his environment - literally and metaphorically. He displays an obvious lack of empathy to ALL of his victims and anybody he spares he does so for logical or beneficial reasons to him... At least until Absolution. 

#10 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

[QUOTE="Nietzschie666"]

Leejjohno

In blood money he deliberately killed a parcel delivery boy, a reporter, a dozen secret service agents and a canary out of self preservation.

One of the themes of the Hitman games is that 47 is an otherwise good guy who has been made into a product of his environment - literally and metaphorically. He displays an obvious lack of empathy to ALL of his victims and anybody he spares he does so for logical or beneficial reasons to him... At least until Absolution.

He obviously is willing to kill those who stand in his way, but he empathizes with this girl, and Diana is the closest thing to a friend he has. She helped him out for no reason in Blood Money, it would only seem right that he do the same in return.

He clearly has a heart. Something that this game acknowledges. Remember, 47 wanted out himself at one point. But they dragged him back in. He knows they will drag Victoria into this life, the very life he once tried to escape.

#11 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

As I've said just previously in another thread, I think the best would have been combining the elements of both games. Disguises were a bit too easy in BM, but ones of similar type are a bit too suspcious in this one, making the choices rather linear. Rather than a gimmicky Instinct meter, they could have had a built-in instinct whereby 47 is granted X amount of time before suspicion sets in, but based on proximity and angle of view. Higher difficulty levels would mean quicker detction times, longer range identification, and wider angles of view for NPCs. I also think hide spots if they choose to implemt them should not be totally safe. Even if you enter them undetected, you should only have so much time at them.

Past Hitman titles have alwyas been about getting to know the maps and getting through them swiftly and with good timing. This one changes that formula quite a bit to one where an assassin can lurk for some time as long as he keeps using hide spots and/or draining and refilling Instinct. While disguises were a bit too efective in BM, esp on lower difficulty levels, you DID need to keep moving to avod detection. Guards would always look at you intently as you walked by, even with a disguise on.

#12 Posted by LegendaryBadass (366 posts) -

I'm one of those losers who only played Blood Money before this title. My complaint isn't so much with the way diguises handle, which is radically different, but I'm opposed to the overarcing story. Instead of level after level of contracts, I killa guy then spend several stages fleeing the police.

When there is a hit to perform, you have a limited and rather humorless set of options and I certainly didn't get excited over the quick time events.

That's not the Hitman experience my book.

#13 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

When there is a hit to perform, you have a limited and rather humorless set of options and I certainly didn't get excited over the quick time events.

That's not the Hitman experience my book.LegendaryBadass

It's not the BM experience, but most hits can in fact be done several ways. Take for instance King of Chnatown. You can [spoiler] poison, car bomb, snipe, alley stab, push into open steam vent, lure to the drug dealer's apt and silent headshot him, etc. [/spoiler] It's also personal preference as to whether you find some of the types of kills humorous, but many are rather clever, and one in particular, which I've yet to do but I'm pretty sure IS in the game, involves [spoiler] turning on a generator near a guy taking a piss, which I'm pretty sure electrocutes him because the thing arcs for a few seconds when you turn it on, then the breaker shuts it off due to an apparent short in it. [/spoiler]

You're not a "loser" because you've only played BM, a bit out of the loop series wise maybe. You DO seem to be not exploring this game fully enough to be objective enough about some the comments you've made on it though.

#14 Posted by Kickable (1097 posts) -
I liked the old disguise system when I was playing the other games, but I'd really hate to go back to it now. Games don't have to be realistic all the time for me, but in this case it works well IMO and it adds some welcome extra challenge. 47's moral decisions are easy to buy because the girl was on her way to becoming just like him. I do miss the briefing screen just for the info. Don't miss the safehouse, it was always useless to me because in a game like this I like acquiring weapons in the level but more importantly using the level itself to kill people by accidents etc. I mean in reality the idea of a hitman only going in with 1 silenced pistol and fiber wire, suitcase with a sniper rifle on some missions, is a pretty logical one. Ok maybe none of us know how it would go down in reality so let's use "reality" in typical fiction :D If there's one thing I really hate about this game is that you're forced to replay levels for challenges. I do like to replay a lot of games that I play but it'd be nice to be able to get most challenges done in one go. I can understand having to choose between "suit only" and other stealth-run type challenges to accomplish all the rest though.
#15 Posted by Leejjohno (14088 posts) -

[QUOTE="Leejjohno"]

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

[QUOTE="Nietzschie666"]

contracts420

He obviously is willing to kill those who stand in his way, but he empathizes with this girl, and Diana is the closest thing to a friend he has. She helped him out for no reason in Blood Money, it would only seem right that he do the same in return.

He clearly has a heart. Something that this game acknowledges. Remember, 47 wanted out himself at one point. But they dragged him back in. He knows they will drag Victoria into this life, the very life he once tried to escape.

I will stipulate that the parcel delivery boy was almost certainly a none issue but as soon as 47 knew he was compromised, boom. He killed a random civillian out of precaution.

Same with the canary. It's just out of character. If anything he should have empathized with the droves of 48s he killed along with a few other clones through out the series. TBH I found the grindhouse themes detracted from any emotional ones.

It's like they drew inspiration from the film.