How to play this well?

#1 Posted by MirkoS77 (7572 posts) -

How am I supposed to plan out clean hits when I can't predict what my mark is going to do or go or where anything is?  I'm in the 2nd level (Chinatown).  I saw a developer interview showing 47 poisoning some sushi which is then eaten by the guy and he croaks.  How the hell am I supposed to know where to get the poison and what path the target is going to go without watching him, reloading checkpoint, then searching for the posion, reloading, then finally being able to know where everything is and where everyone's going to be able to do it?  

I've always had this issue with Hitman games.  By the time I figure out how to plan and execute a perfect kill, trial and error must be done over and over.  I don't feel like a Hitman, I feel like I'm wandering aimlessly around trying to find different ways to kill only to endlessly reload to finally put all the pieces into play.  Unless I just follow the guy into seclusion and take him out that way, but where's the fun in that?

Anyone have any tips on how to get a silent assassin ranking while maintaining the novelty?  Or is this a game that requires me to reload, reload, and reload again to plan out my attack before I do it?

#2 Posted by hughobrien (177 posts) -
Sounds like the Hitman games just aren't for you. The whole point is using trial and error to find the best method to kill.
#3 Posted by alphatango1 (3778 posts) -

How am I supposed to plan out clean hits when I can't predict what my mark is going to do or go or where anything is?  I'm in the 2nd level (Chinatown).  I saw a developer interview showing 47 poisoning some sushi which is then eaten by the guy and he croaks.  How the hell am I supposed to know where to get the poison and what path the target is going to go without watching him, reloading checkpoint, then searching for the posion, reloading, then finally being able to know where everything is and where everyone's going to be able to do it?  

I've always had this issue with Hitman games.  By the time I figure out how to plan and execute a perfect kill, trial and error must be done over and over.  I don't feel like a Hitman, I feel like I'm wandering aimlessly around trying to find different ways to kill only to endlessly reload to finally put all the pieces into play.  Unless I just follow the guy into seclusion and take him out that way, but where's the fun in that?

Anyone have any tips on how to get a silent assassin ranking while maintaining the novelty?  Or is this a game that requires me to reload, reload, and reload again to plan out my attack before I do it?

MirkoS77

You sound like more of a stalker.

#4 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

How am I supposed to plan out clean hits when I can't predict what my mark is going to do or go or where anything is?MirkoS77

That's an inherent part of Hitman - you arrive on a level and know who you need to take out, but how you do it is up to you. How could anyone possibly know exactly what movements your target is going to have in advance? no-one could, and actions that you perform in the level can affect how they act, what they do, and where they go. It's all part of the game to figure it out and do it as well as you can.

You are meant to follow the target around to figure out his movements, see what he does, what opportunities arise. Sometimes the target will leave themselves exposed, sometimes they will perform an action you can use as a means of killing them. If a target takes a drink is there someway to poison the drink? Can I poison the food? Is there something in the scenery I can use to kill them, and how can I get away with it - make it look like an accident?

In the Chinatown level I only found the Fugu on my second play of the level, but it took several more plays before I discovered there are multiple ways to use it to kill the target. It is always worth reading the Challenges for each level as many give hints at possible ways of killing the target - Master Poisoner being the hint that there are multiple ways of using Fugu.

Silent Assassin rating is very unlikely for a first playthrough of any level, but you can realistically get a Professional rating, or certainly a score high enough to unlock the abilities for that level. The Challenges exist to encourage you to replay the level and explore it fully for different ways to complete it.

#5 Posted by djball (354 posts) -

Unfortunately Absolution is heavy on trial and error, and with a check point save system, can be very frustrating. I'm not saying check point saves are a bad thing, I like that you have to  think carefully about your next move, but man restarting after sneaking around for 30 minutes is harsh. 

#6 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

So you think EVERY hitman has a complete dossier with everything they need to know without ever having to case the targets? Sometimes they only get basic details and that's it.

The level you're talking about is pretty easy really, and it doesn't take much searching or waiting to figure out the primary ways to kill the target. You're told he has a car in a nearby alley, and meets with a dealer whom lives in a nearby apt. Either of those elements can be used, but if you follow the target a little ways, there's also another good option that becomes obvious as he [spoiler] paused to look at an open steam vent. [/spoiler]

The poison isn't necessary, but if you find it it's another good option that is easy to maintain stealth with and as mentioned unlock a skill.

I kinda wasted my first play through, not being patient to look for ways of doing things. On my second play through I am taking my time to examine each target. Unlike previous Hitman games, this one is very NPC interactive, meaning if you so much as go to the target markers on the mini map or nearby locations given to you in the briefing, it becomes obvious by what items you find or the dialog you hear what can be done.

[spoiler] This time I ended up listening to the target talk to his connection on the phone, whom can actually be heard talking to him because, as mentioned, he's in an apt overlooking the place and is standing right in an open window of it as seen via your Instinct. I then waited for the dealer to show up and followed him after he said he had to go get the drugs, which are conveniently located in a secluded spot where you can subdue him and take his clothes. You'll find the target gone when you go back to the pagoda, but he will follow you to make the deal. I lead him up to the dealer's apt and capped him in the head with the Silver Baller. There's also evidence there and a nice sniper rifle. From there it's an easy walk to the exit with a nice Silent Assassin rating awaiting you. [/spoiler]