Who is the primary enemy in H4?

#1 Posted by anarayan (336 posts) -

The covenant has been defeated. And apparently, according to the short gameplay at E3, the enemy is not organic. I am guessing that the enemy might be a computer software gone bad like in I, Robot.

What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by davidsworld3 (3039 posts) -

Um haver you not watched the e3 footage? They tell you who the main threat is. I dont want the covies to go away completely otherwise it takes away from what started Halo, no other game has covies, the new enemy in this bares a pretty close tie in with metroid kinda so I feel they kinda ripped from that but it's totally awesome so I can live with it. Not everything has to be a new original idea to be cool and entertaining.

#3 Posted by anarayan (336 posts) -

I have seen the E3 footage. They tell that the weapon dropped by the enemy is of forerunner design. They say the enemy isn't organic. They don't say exactly what the enemy is, or what the threat is. Hence the question. If you have any insight on the nature of the threat, please do post.

#4 Posted by TheVoles (15 posts) -
Just speculation, correct me if I am wrong as I have not read some of the more recent Halo novels. But I beliieve the enemy may be the precursors, who are basicly what came before the forunners. The forunners basicly took much of their techs from the precursors, the precursors where not a very "good" people like the runners. So having the precursors as an enemy seems far more likely than the forunners. As I said above correct me if I am mistaken.
#5 Posted by Vambrotious (2 posts) -
The primary enemy in 4 is the Prometheans, but I don't know much about them. All I could find online are conflicting accounts that where they are either forerunner warrior-servants that have mutated to the highest level to fulfill their role, or that they are rogue constructs/AI. I'm going to guess its the first one though.
#6 Posted by DigitalExile (16049 posts) -

The primary enemy in 4 is the Prometheans, but I don't know much about them. All I could find online are conflicting accounts that where they are either forerunner warrior-servants that have mutated to the highest level to fulfill their role, or that they are rogue constructs/AI. I'm going to guess its the first one though.Vambrotious
They are elite warriors of the Forerunners.

Though in the last novel, Glasslands, it should be noted that there are still Covenant distrustful of Humans and do not trust the Arbiter, believing that the last 20 years cannot be forgotten and forgiven, and that it is only a matter of time before they return to war (not as the Covenant, but as Sanghelli [elites]). Long story short - parts of the Covenent still exist, which is why we (obviously) still see them around, most likely racing the humans to Forerunner tech.

The large planet seen so far appears to be a Forerunner shield world, which explains why there are still Forerunenrs alive.

#7 Posted by games_master123 (159 posts) -
see, at first i thought that the big ass thing in the trailer was gonna be onyx (from the book) and that he was gonna meet blue team again :/ But yeah, their either called precursors or prometheans (but prometheans was already used by mass effect) so im going with precursors. Also if you watch all the terminal videos in halo: CA anniversary, you know that 343 guilty spark lost communication with other installations, due to inactivity or them going rogue. Also from the end of the E3 gameplay. 'I have long dreamt this day, reclaimer' I believe this to be one of the other AI's of the forerunners, it would make unbelievable sense. Because he called 117 'reclaimer' a term used by AI to describe descendants of the forerunners themselves
#8 Posted by kerrman (2904 posts) -

I'm assuming it's another AI like 343 Guilty Spark.

#9 Posted by Beastcake (1247 posts) -
I think it's the Didact. He was an ancient leader of the Forerunner's and was put into a giant orb like the one seen from the E3 footage called a cryptum, it's sort of like a mobile fortress tomb. His body might have withered away inside of it but it still allows him to monitor what's going on with the galaxy. I'm guessing his resting place is on Requiem. Look up the Didact and cryptums on Halopedia.
#10 Posted by RedSteels_Fury (171 posts) -

In a publication of GameInformer a few months back they go over that we will be fighting the forerunners (which im assuming is what that strange enemy was in the E3 footage.  They talk about how the forerunners have survived and are living in artifically made planetiods.  The planet has an outer metal shell that is designed to block the halo ring explosions.  They also talk about how both the humans and the flood find the forefunners hiding place and it will probably end up being a similar situation to the Covenant V Humans V Flood scenario, except replace the Covenant with the forefunners (I still expect the covenant to be involved somehow though).

#11 Posted by anarayan (336 posts) -

Halo 4 enemies revealed...

http://www.gamespot.com/halo-4/videos/gs-news-halo-4-enemies-and-weapons-revealed-6394883/?tag=Topslot;Today039sGamingNews;Halo4EnemiesAndWeapon