There's never enough ammo in this game

#1 Posted by MirkoS77 (7572 posts) -

I'm always scrounging for ammo or am being forced to swap to a weapon I don't care for.  And no, I'm not holding down the trigger all the time, I'm fairly conservative in my usage.  Once I picked up a needler which had a whopping 17 rounds total in it, and this was on normal difficulty.  Seventeen.  I could only kill two grunts with it then had to search for another.  It's frustrating not being able to fight because I'm always having to worry about whether I'm going to run out of ammo.  In CE it was always plentiful and rarely was I in danger of running low, unless I made it a point to be wasteful.

Anyone else noticed/have a problem with this?

#2 Posted by Shadow15151 (86 posts) -

i noticed it as well. but somehow i get the feeling it was intentional

#3 Posted by airman20012001 (284 posts) -

Thats because the enemys take to many shots to kill.

#4 Posted by macca366 (784 posts) -

I've absolutely noticed this, and I agree its noticeable to the extent that it must be intentional. Its okay really, it only forced me into a tought spot a few times, and if anything I rather enjoyed being forced to try to play better to avoid death

#5 Posted by MirkoS77 (7572 posts) -

I have no idea why it would be intentional and if it is it's one of the dumbest decisions I've seen. Ammo should never be in short supply in any FPS game thats main focus is on gunplay. This is not the first Halo to do this, Reach suffered the same issue but it was not as pronounced as it is here. CE got it perfect.

This has aggravated me so much and made the game so frustrating that my Halo 4 is now on ebay. I just can't enjoy it as any weapon I want to use I can't for any decent period of time and those I don't want to be using yet am forced to only can last for so long. Too bad too, as if I were able to fight without having to worry constantly it'd be a great game.

#6 Posted by StraferBiz (198 posts) -

Whoah so lack of ammo aggravated you so much into selling your game? I am shocked.

#7 Posted by Tortoise_DETH (2 posts) -
I couldn't agree more with you; to the extent that I've shelved the game for a while due solely to this issue. At present I am playing the latest Borderlands 2 DLC & thoroughly love it!
#8 Posted by MirkoS77 (7572 posts) -

Whoah so lack of ammo aggravated you so much into selling your game? I am shocked.

StraferBiz

You'd also be shocked to know I returned Borderland 2 without even playing it because I hated the box art.  Truly shocking.

#9 Posted by Shadow15151 (86 posts) -

[QUOTE="StraferBiz"]

MirkoS77

You'd also be shocked to know I returned Borderland 2 without even playing it because I hated the box art.  Truly shocking.

you returned games cause of box art and not enough ammo drops? you sir have lost my respect as a gamer
#10 Posted by MirkoS77 (7572 posts) -

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

[QUOTE="StraferBiz"]

Shadow15151

you returned games cause of box art and not enough ammo drops? you sir have lost my respect as a gamer

Damnit!

#11 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18414 posts) -
It is very frustrating. In a survival type game you expect it. Not in a game like this where your meant to run in guns blazing and enjoy using futuristic weapons.. only to run in and oh I have no ammo.. I can't just go pick some up, I have to pick up some dead guys gun.. fire off the last few rounds and find another gun. Halo is very popular and I thought I'd try this one out.. so far I'm not seeing why everyone loves it. The campaign is meh. I'll be trying online out when I'm done and hopefully that'll get me into it.
#12 Posted by flamingpancake (2 posts) -
Limits on ammo in the campaign have gotten more and more severe since CE and I for one appreciate it. In CE I personally would end up just using the starting human weapons for the entirety of each level on account of the relative lack of specialization. The AR was much more powerful and why would you ever trade out the legendary pistol. Limiting ammo adds a small level of realism and inspires another tactical aspect making the campaign more than just mindless killing
#13 Posted by MirkoS77 (7572 posts) -

^^^

I disagree. I believe ammo consumption should be at the player's discretion, it should be limited to an extent, but it should always be there for each weapon at all times. What is the point of offering multiple weapons when the player is forced to use alternate weapons because there's never enough for the others? I feel like there's no freedom in how I want to play. Maybe the dev wanted to force the player to try all the weapons, but that should be up to the player....not them.

I love CE because I can use any weapon I want for as long as I want until I feel different or need it for strategic purposes (shotgun and AR for the flood combinations, for example). Hell, I doubt I could even GET through the library in the original with the amount of ammo they give in 4. It'd be impossible.

Maybe some see strategy in it, I see nothing but frustration. There've been times in 4 where I've run completely dry on both guns in a firefight and needed to reload a checkpoint. This should not even be a remote possibility in a FPS. Perhaps in a game like Deus Ex or something but that's a game where the main focus is not solely shooting. It's like if Mario had limited jumping. For the type of game it is, it's a limitation in the worst way.

#14 Posted by taylor888 (2232 posts) -
What you have to do is learn to love every weapon... There are ALWAYS guns available, maybe not the kind you want to use, but they are there. Every weapon is good at something. Also, if you see a weapon but you have full ammo just remember where it was and go back.
#15 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

I could respect your opinion on this if there were a single gun in the game that isn't useful, but there isn't. Each one has it's own stregths and weaknesses and all of them are useful. 

It's also been my experience that there is always an ammo crate within walking distance if you just look for it. They don't always have an icon over them saying "HERE I AM", but in most Forerunner structures there are Forerunner weapon stashes everywhere. In most levels on the Human ships have human weapons lying about in boxes or on the ground. 

I get the idea of what you're saying, but the spirit of the narrative here is that you were lost in space and are working with limited supply. It fits the story to not always have your favorite toy to play with all the way through the game. And if you get in a crunch every weapon in the game has some level of usefullness. 

#16 Posted by MirkoS77 (7572 posts) -

I could respect your opinion on this if there were a single gun in the game that isn't useful, but there isn't. Each one has it's own stregths and weaknesses and all of them are useful.

It's also been my experience that there is always an ammo crate within walking distance if you just look for it. They don't always have an icon over them saying "HERE I AM", but in most Forerunner structures there are Forerunner weapon stashes everywhere. In most levels on the Human ships have human weapons lying about in boxes or on the ground.

I get the idea of what you're saying, but the spirit of the narrative here is that you were lost in space and are working with limited supply. It fits the story to not always have your favorite toy to play with all the way through the game. And if you get in a crunch every weapon in the game has some level of usefullness.

ZZoMBiE13

My problem isn't so much what you think. I'm not saying there's no weapons around or that they don't have their individual strengths and weaknesses, on that I agree. It's that there is such a lack of ammo that I almost always have to break off engagements to go find more. Weapons are there, however generally the amount of ammo found in them more often than not is insufficient. I'm OK when I enter a fight but I'm usually unable to finish it without running out. Perhaps if the clip sizes were more generous it'd be ok after I took the time to find every weapon on the field after every fight, but their carrying capacity is pathetic. The rate at which guns consume rounds is disproportionate to the amount the game affords the player at any one time and the amount it takes to kill each enemy.

In addition, I've also found the weapon drops seem to be random and unbalanced. I mentioned the Needler with 17 rounds that I found. That didn't bother me at first because I assumed that where there was one there was soon to be another to resupply me with. There wasn't for a good while so I had to discard it withing a few seconds after two kills. And as for the "spirit of the narrative": the spirit of the game is to shoot. It's an First Person Shooter with a story, not a First Person Story with shooting elements. In no way should the shooting take a back seat or be compromised for the sake of narrative because it impacts what makes the game fun.

As you mentioned, each weapon has has strengths and weaknesses. Yet how am I to utilize those strengths and weaknesses when I'm constantly forced to use another weapon that is not as effective against that enemy because I don't have enough ammo for it? This is what I loved about CE....the weapons available at the time always had usefullness in combinations against each enemy. Example: the plasma pistol could be used to drop an Elite's shields, then quickly gunned down using the AR. The small flood could be mopped up with the AR and the big ones with the shotgun and there was always enough rounds for each one at all times to be able to utilize that strategy. There's not here.

Gun selection is crucial in any FPS as it affords freedom to how one plays. But ammo is needed for that. I'm not advocating that every single weapon and buckets of ammo should be available at all times, that's a matter of balance. The weapons given should correspond to the enemies present and should be supported with enough munitions. But that's not the case here. As I mentioned, running dry in a fight should not even be a possibility in any FPS unless one is intentionally wasting clips at walls. It should absolutely be a consideration in the back of every player's mind that should make them occasionally glance at their ammo readout, but it should not become a constant hassle and impediment to play the game as it is here.

#17 Posted by WokeUpBaked (17 posts) -
I could not disagree with this thread more.... It forces you to strategize how to kill the prometheans. Of course if you just unload all your UNSC ammo on them then you'll end up with nothing, you gotta mix it up. The best way to kill nights is charge up the PP then spray them with Assault Rifle or Supressor
#18 Posted by MaddenBowler10 (8832 posts) -

I played on Heroic and it was a **** to kill the jackals with shields as well as the Prometheans. They take way too many shots!

#19 Posted by flamingpancake (2 posts) -
Shielded jackals are supposed to be killed with skill shots. One shot to the notch in their shield exposes them for a head shot. This is where i think the people who claim there isn't enough ammo are at fault. Halo doesn't try to be your basic FPS; it always provides you with options and benefits for taking less of a walking tank approach. I also disagree with the comment above about the story not applying to the shooting part of the game. I think the truth is the exact opposite; the narrative has to define a certain amount of the gun-play. Currently, FPS's have been coming under fire, so to speak, for failing to innovate with the genre, and developers are desperate to distinguish their style from the masses. Gamers make comments like yours, saying there's a certain way FPS are "supposed" to be, then they turn around and rant on and on about COD and Halo rehashing their old games to rake in an ungodly profit. I'm fine with people saying this about COD but when Halo gets blamed I get mad (mostly because I'm an unashamed fanboy). Franchises have to develop in a progressive manner to avoid stagnation which hurts the entire industry, like COD has done, and the perfect way to introduce new concepts is through context. It's what sets every shooter apart and, in the case of the Halo franchise, the context is a beautifully constructed narrative that gives the allowances for the different, unique aspects of the games. The core of the the Halo gameplay revolves around what has been lovingly dubbed " the Holy Trinity" of guns, grenades, and melee. No particular part of this trinity is more or less important than the others and are readily available by the controller layout. In a real gun fight how effective is melee going to be, but in this context it is given credibility because you play as a bad ass spartan which allows for other features such as the floaty jump and rechargeable shield. What I'm getting at is that in a story based game such as Halo, the narrative has a lot to say about what kind of gameplay you experience; the argument above that the lack of ammo adds to the atmosphere of working with limited resources is completely relevant. Another argument is that when Bungie developed CE they might not have realized how well this trinity idea would catch on so they gave almost unlimited ammo because of the FPS tradition. In Halo titles that came after they limited ammo in order to emphasize this style of gameplay, and to say it limits players i think is a faulted viewpoint. I think it forces players to employ variety in their tactics. I know, hearing that a game forces the player to do anything is discouraging to most gamers, but the fact is that every game forces players to play by that individual game's rules to a certain degree. It's how a franchise can develop a nitch for itself, and not every nitch appeals to every gamer and maybe the Halo style just isn't for you. I don't mean to cause offense to anyone; your entitled to an opinion. Fact is that if you didn't like the game it just means that you didn't like the game, but I don't think it's the developers fault. As i said above, I'm an unashamed Halo fanboy and i just like to defend the franchise where I can.
#20 Posted by MirkoS77 (7572 posts) -

Shielded jackals are supposed to be killed with skill shots. One shot to the notch in their shield exposes them for a head shot. This is where i think the people who think there isn't enough ammo are at fault. Halo doesn't try to be your basic FPS; it always provides you with options and benefits for taking less of a walking tank approach.flamingpancake

Many of the weapons the game gives are not good for one shot.  I don't always have a sniper rifle or pistol nor can I find one.  Hell, this is all irrelevant anyway as in CE you could aim at the notch with an AR and it would take no more than 5-10 rounds for them to drop it, unless you were spraying them from afar which could use up an entire clip and still do no good.  Aside, I don't like being so constrained in any shooter that I have to fight an enemy keeping in mind the limit of ammo I'm using to be able to kill it.  Counting rounds for each enemy is not fun.

#21 Posted by WokeUpBaked (17 posts) -

I played on Heroic and it was a **** to kill the jackals with shields as well as the Prometheans. They take way too many shots!

MaddenBowler10
Maybe if you shoot their shields over and over like a dumbass...
#22 Posted by gawaind (1 posts) -
Agree I shelved the game because of this way to difficult . It spoils any enjoyment , constantly no ammo when most of the bigger guys take loads of rounds to kill . Its a terrible flaw . Game ruined , I gone back to BF3
#23 Posted by DaDizzel (799 posts) -

I love Halo, but you Sir are 100% correct. I have not beat the game yet, because I got tired of searching for weapons becuase I ran out of ammo and the gun I picked up has very few left in the clip. This made the campaign very slow, boring and frustrating(IMHO). Some people can argue that low ammo made it better, that you got to make your shots count. I agree with that, but in this game it didnt work out for me this time around.

No way I can sell the game though. I had to buy Halo 3 twice. After awhile Halo will start to call you back.

#24 Posted by SergeantGuy (60 posts) -
Yeah I hate that too. The fact that weapons despawn in 10 seconds in spops and mp (not sure about campaign) just makes it worse. It's the worst in campaign on heroic or legendary with the mythic skull on.
#25 Posted by UncookedMoa (4 posts) -

Seems like I never noticed that there "was never enough ammo." I've played on Legendary and have not noticed this happening. Yet, many people seem to have noticed this. However, I did notice the issue with the Needler running out of ammo. I never was able to use the Needler thanks to this issue.

Now that I think about it, I did notice myself swapping weapons a lot more times than previous Halo games due to scarcity of ammo. But I'm comfortable with whatever weapon the game throws at me and I change my playing style according to what weapon I'm using, which is probably why I haven't noticed the scarcity of ammo before you brought it up...

#26 Posted by PAL360 (26928 posts) -

What you have to do is learn to love every weapon... There are ALWAYS guns available, maybe not the kind you want to use, but they are there. Every weapon is good at something. Also, if you see a weapon but you have full ammo just remember where it was and go back.taylor888

This.

It's just a clever/easy way to force you to adapt to other weapons. I actually like it!

#27 Posted by Hicser03 (109 posts) -
Im playing on legendary right now its not so much that running out of ammo piss's me off but the guns disappearing. i put a full ammo DMR on the ground to use a fuel rod to take out banshees go back to where i put the DMR down and its bloody disappeared....
#28 Posted by bmart970 (86 posts) -

Well, otherwise the game would be way too easy and therefore boring.

#29 Posted by RebelMarksman (23 posts) -
I think i remember hearing somewhere that the max ammo for some of the precision weapons were lowered. For example in reach I think the DMR had 106 shoots and in halo4 it has 76. I might be wrong though I haven't played reach in awhile.