So in the coop specific story..how are there more spartans again?

#1 Posted by poofta (301 posts) -

In one of the gamespot previews it made mention to somthing along the lines of "those who completed halo 3 on legendary will know what we're talking about".

Now I haven't played Halo 3 for quite some time, but I did complete it on legendary multiple times and I don't remember anything about new spartans.
So yea, do we know why and how there are new spartans? Are they kind of rookies fresh from a new generation of spartans trained on some distant plpanet that may have been referenced but I don't remember? Something in the books orrr something else? 

#2 Posted by davidsworld3 (3038 posts) -

Other spartans have always just been in the books...So seems like they are adding story from the books in order to add more spartans. Will be cool to Master Chief interact with more spartans but then it might just be a mp thing with the spartans.

#4 Posted by DigitalExile (16049 posts) -

The first generation of spartans were elite soldiers who were chosen/volunteered. They were mostly just augmented.

The second generation are the ones chief was a part of, specially chosen from a young age, and purposely trained and augmented and given Mjolnir armour.

The third generations were kids orphaned or seperated from their parents during the Covenant war. These kids were not specificaly chosen and are all volunteers. They however were made to be more expendable, unlike the Spartan II's, thus their armour is not as strong, nor are their augmentations as severe. Many of the Spartan III's undertake suicide missions, with only a handful out of hundreds returning after each campaign. This is supposedly where the rookie (or is it the whole squad?) featured in Reach comes from.

Fourth generaton (featured in Halo 4) are, again (I believe), volunteer elite soldiers who undergo augmentation, and given Mjolnir armour. They are made to be as cheaply produced as the Spartan 3's, but volunteered and augmented like the first generation, and given the technology of the second generation.

#5 Posted by Beastcake (1247 posts) -
^^ You're mostly right. The SPARTAN-IV's are actually the remaining SPARTAN-III's integrated and placed on the UNSC Infinity, the ship which houses Halo 4's multiplayer.
#6 Posted by tonyhawksP8 (2479 posts) -

They have a whole company of Spartan III called Gamma Company whoms fate is never mentioned I'm hoping thats who pop in here, Spartans with animal instinct.

#7 Posted by davidsworld3 (3038 posts) -

Should have had some of the spartan 2's come in, that would have been cool, could have an emotional scene where Chief finds his family *that being teh spartan 2's that survived*, and kick some ass.

Not enough is known to really know for sure.

#8 Posted by RaiderMX (2 posts) -
If you mean in Infinity Multiplayer (Wargames/SpartansOps) these are Spartans IV; veterans of the war upgraded to Spartans. If you mean in Campaign, 343i said that in coop everyone will be Master Chief.
#9 Posted by Angeal367 (8 posts) -

SPARTAN-IV's are all adult volunteers and past SPARTAN operatives who have been augmented to work with the MJOLNER GEN-2 armor. The GEN-2 suits are more similar to the Nanosuit in Crysis. The suit does most of the work, the augmentations just allow the wearer to use it.

#10 Posted by AlmityGuitarist (150 posts) -

The third generations were kids orphaned or seperated from their parents during the Covenant war. These kids were not specificaly chosen and are all volunteers. They however were made to be more expendable, unlike the Spartan II's, thus their armour is not as strong, nor are their augmentations as severe. Many of the Spartan III's undertake suicide missions, with only a handful out of hundreds returning after each campaign. This is supposedly where the rookie (or is it the whole squad?) featured in Reach comes from.

DigitalExile

Halo Reach took place before the first halo game, storywise. The spartans in Reach are all Spartan IIs, and its from the battle in space (not shown in the game) that Captain Keyes randomly jumps into slipspace and stumbles upon halo. 

#12 Posted by CactusJack13 (15 posts) -
This game will be epic! The best one yet. Can't wait for it to come out. so everyone will be master chief in coop, Wow!
#13 Posted by psycho_chaos (9 posts) -
Actually, nearly all Spartans in Halo Reach are Spartan III. The only member of Noble Team that is a Spartan II is Jorge.