Introducing primary and secondary categories brings up an imbalance.

#1 Posted by adrigt (253 posts) -

So since we have primary and secondary weapons now , some issues pop up that apparently weren't thought of.

Since they fit in the same category/power level  now , an Assault Rifle and a DMR/BR should now be equal in power in their respective situations of course.(close range for AR and long for DMR/BR)

But this isn't the case , there is inequality due to various reasons.

1)---------------------

The Assault rifle and the rest of the automatic weapons act as SHORT range weapons instead of Short-Medium like they are described and should.Whereas the DMR/BR and the rest precision weapons have actually achieved their goal of being BOTH Medium and Long range weapons.

So that leaves us  with DMR/BR/Precision weapons being useful in a wider variety of situations!

Solution: Make the automatics able to struggle in medium range if fired in controlled bursts(make them REAL Short-Medium range weapons as they are described)

2)---------------------

The automatics can kill much less enemies per magazine.I don't have precise data ofc. but from previous game knowledge and footage of the current builds the automatics seem to be capable of killing about 1.7 to hopefully 2 enemies per magazine.

Whereas the precision weapons like the DMR can take out 2.8 enemies per magazine(take note that DMR even lost one bullet holding 14 instead of 15 now).

Again that leaves us with DMR/BR/Precision weapons being more versatile , adding up the previous niche they have they well end up being the GO-TO , NO-brainer weapons.

Solution:Increase the magazine size of the autos to give them more kills per magazine.

OR(NOT RECOMMENDED due to public outcry PLUS it seems they are balanced so I would touch the ones that fall behind not the ones that are okay.) Decrease the Precision weaps capacity(DMR was 12 in Reach beta)

3)------------------------

Precision weapons are HEADSHOT-capable weapons.That means they have special occasions where they are even beter.

Example: 14 unshielded enemies =14 kills per clip for a DMR whereas the Automatics remain as they were.

So we already have two very good reasons for having Precision weapons as the GO-TO ones , adding this last one up completes the cake making them way better choices than say an Assault Rifle.

Solution:   FIX 1 AND 2 !!

--------------------------

Conclusion:   I hope some developer is actually watching these forums(am posting it on the official ones) so there is a slight chance they could adress these issues should they see they are indeed true.

This Halo has huge potential and has finally done many changes and redesign to the weapon sandbox , it would be a pity for all the detail and design put into all the rest of the weapons if they end up being overshadowed by 1-2 overused weapons once again...

Counter-Arguments:Many said that there is melee and backup weapons to accompany the Autos.

The backup weapon logic is of course stupid and wrong.You always have backup weapons even when you are carrying a DMR.

Why should the AR user have to use another weapon to get the job done in close-med range?It should be fine using AR alone just as it is fine using DMR aloen on med-long ranges.

Melee is as well flawed logic because then you imply that AR's use is that of a shotgun whereas it is not , it is supposed to be quite  quite effective in medium range as well.

Plus one melee +one headshot = dead target so melee helps Precision weapons just as much.

#2 Posted by Yamakoichi (318 posts) -

You really will not like this, but they are called precision weapons because you need to be precise, of course someone shooting at the head will kill more and faster than a first time player spraying with a full auto weapon. It has always been like this and always been fine, I could run at someone with a full auto rifle get in a few shots then kill with a melee, or take the same time shooting to the head with a BR to lower the shield then if I want I can melee or fire another one into the head, at close or long range. However it is a lot easier to jump around up close with a full auto weapon firing than it is to take your time to get in good shots with the BR

I know you are trying to be objective, but it really comes accross as, I am not good with precision weapons make spray weapons more powerful, also if you aim for the head with a full auto weapon next time you play Reach you might be surprised.

#3 Posted by adrigt (253 posts) -

You really will not like this, but they are called precision weapons because you need to be precise, of course someone shooting at the head will kill more and faster than a first time player spraying with a full auto weapon. It has always been like this and always been fine, I could run at someone with a full auto rifle get in a few shots then kill with a melee, or take the same time shooting to the head with a BR to lower the shield then if I want I can melee or fire another one into the head, at close or long range. However it is a lot easier to jump around up close with a full auto weapon firing than it is to take your time to get in good shots with the BR

I know you are trying to be objective, but it really comes accross as, I am not good with precision weapons make spray weapons more powerful, also if you aim for the head with a full auto weapon next time you play Reach you might be surprised.

Yamakoichi

Introduce headshots to Autos then.

NOT as instant kill like precision of course , but damage mutliplier while non-shielded.

Its only reasonable that  changes are neede this is not the same game and drastic changes have happened.

"It has always been like this and always been fine" That mean nothing THEY ARE both Primary weapons now,  they fit in the same category , which means they have to be of equal using power.