The official "this game is not for me" thread.

#1 Posted by Wanderer34 (547 posts) -

The hype got me again. Guild Wars 2...universal acclaim, revolutionary gameplay, beautiful graphics...sounded amazing. But surprisingly, I just cannot get into the game. Here's why:

1) I actually miss quest givers. Gives a certain flow and immersion that GW2 is lacking to me.

2) I don't like the fast paced combat. Doesn't really feel like I'm doing anything other than killing redundant things over and over like in an old school arcade game. The reviews kept raving about how you actually influence events in the world, but it was very difficult for me to get immersed when I would kill a creature, only to have another immediately spawn over and over and over again. Didn't feel like I was influencing anything other than the quest requirement bar in the right hand of the screen.

3) The limitation on powers/skills that you can actively use in combat makes combat feel simplistic. I know there are arguements that there are tactical considerations/etc, but having 10 or so abilities without concern for power/mana management just made it very boring for me right off the bat.

4) I miss the slow, thought out pace of combat of a traditional mmo.

5) I felt like I was constantly being bombarded by sensory overload wherever I went...whether it was the constantly immediately regenerating spawns, or the npc's yelling at me to "come over here" or the vast amount of information on the overhead map, or the fact that any time I walked into a different area, a new quest immediately popped up whether I wanted it to or not, it's just a lot of information, colors, movement, enemies, npc's, and other players all over the place.

6) I hate the way the overhead map pulls up. I prefer if it instantly pulled up when you click the "m" button.

7) I'm normally not a fan of high fantasy, preferring fantasy on par with Lord of the Rings, so this is really just a personal preference, but I felt like the flora/fauna/color scheme of the world was a bit too over the top. It's beautiful, sure...for a little while. But there's just too much going on. Too many crazy glowing things here, or zany looking plants, or creatures...just too much. I was hoping when I created a sylvari character I would be transported into a beautiful, lush, natural looking landscape with a hint of high fantasy elements, but it's more like Jackson Pollock painted on a tie dye t-shirt.

8) Despite not having quest givers, and acting as though you don't have b.s. kill ten boars quests, you still kill x amount of critters/collect x amount of materials in quests. They just don't actively ask you to do so. You go in an area and it just pops up, but it's essentially the same thing.

9) I was intrigued by the jumping puzzles at first...until I realized why I stopped playing mario brothers style games like 15 years ago. Boing, boing, boing *fall* boing, boing, boing, boing, *fall* "Ok, I've had enough of that."

10) I miss having a defined role...filling a niche...or finding unique ways to fit into a niche. There's really none of that in this game. Everyone pretty much does the same thing...damage, damage, damage, *heal self*, damage, damage, damage.

I wish there was a way I could give this game to someone who would enjoy it because as it stands now, I just wasted about $65. Also, I want to point out that this is not a troll post. I actually own the game, have played for about 20 hours, and really tried to get into it. It's just not my thing, and I'm sure there's at least a few other people who had a similar experience. I will say this...my Sylvari character model is the most interesting looking character I've ever had. I love the lore behind the race. Actually, I liked most of the lore of the game...just not the game itself.

#2 Posted by DABhand (156 posts) -
I agree with you on some of your points, the lore is what drove people to Guild Wars 1 as the story was great, as was the other campaigns and then Eye of the North (it was meh in my honest opinion, last fight was good though).
#3 Posted by xcryonicx (1294 posts) -
you're comfortable with being comfortable in the same game design we've seen since the late 90s. And it's ok.
#4 Posted by sumdood (482 posts) -

I think the combat is the number one killer for those who are used to playing EQ/WoW type MMOs.  I think if you're the type of person that like MMOs because of the combat then you probably won't like this game.  If you're the type of person that liked the idea of MMOs, but couldn't stand the slow pace of combat, then you'll love this game.

The art style I have to agree with.  However, the comical aspects of it aren't as bad as WoW in my opinion.

As far as the niches, yes everyone is a damage dealer.  Although, I haven't made it to late game yet, but I've heard that later on groups are formed with class roles in mind for the instances.

I think everything else you mentioned is either an improvement to the MMO genre or it's a feature that was created to help facilitate the fast-paced combat of the game.

I think GW2 needs to be looked at as more of an MMO Action RPG.  No, this won't be the WoW killer.  But a Diablo killer, I think that's a good possibility.

#5 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

Well the good news is there are a ton of games out there to satisfy you. A ton.

#6 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

Well the good news is there are a ton of games out there to satisfy you. A ton.

#7 Posted by Laguniroth (50 posts) -

Why would you need a thread like this? If you don't like the game then don't play it. It may be a cliche at this point, but go back to WoW if it's so great to you.

#8 Posted by PetJel (3722 posts) -

I think the combat is the number one killer for those who are used to playing EQ/WoW type MMOs.  I think if you're the type of person that like MMOs because of the combat then you probably won't like this game. sumdood

I disagree. And no I'm not against slow paced combat.

#9 Posted by Vravage (89 posts) -

I understand what you mean and I think it simply comes down to the fact you like the older mechanics and habits of older MMO's, and that's okay. It's the same reason people complain about modern games being "too short" or "too easy". While I haven't played GW2 yet, I think I'm going to like it because of the fast-paced combat, vibrant world, quest system and so on.

I just reread your post again, and every... let's not say "complaint" because that's not the right word. Almost every "comment" or "suggestion" you have for Guild Wars 2 is all opinion-based. And that's completely fine.

#10 Posted by Wanderer34 (547 posts) -

Why would you need a thread like this? If you don't like the game then don't play it. It may be a cliche at this point, but go back to WoW if it's so great to you.

Laguniroth

I feel the same way about you needing to post a response. And FYI, I loathe WoW.

#11 Posted by cowkiller321 (35 posts) -

This usually happens when you play a game having way too many prejudices. Try playing it again with an open mind and give it some days, if you still wanna give it a chance to your already spent money.

I have an elementalist and I'm really amazed how smoothly can I jump from a DPS role to a healer, or even "tank" role. Ofc I had to wait until I played some events, tried on some weapon combinations and played a (very hard btw) instance.

I've played Lineage2 and Aion over the years and I'm honestly tired of trying to pursue the carrot of being the biggest dps or tank only by having the most OPed +++++enchanted gear or skills. With GW2 I can just have some fun while I explore, not just "go there and collect 30 gazillion magic coins to get the uber weapon before anyone else does, so you'll be awesome"

#12 Posted by Wanderer34 (547 posts) -

I've never gotten obessed with MMO's to the point that many people do. I've never replayed dungeons/instance over and over and over just trying to get the perfect set of armor. That's not why I play these games. I don't powerlevel either. I'll usually mess around with all the classes until a certain level than pick the class I want to play until max level.

To each his own. GW2 feels like an old school arcade game to me. The combat is similar to, but less complicated than, an old school fighter game like Tekken or Mortal combat(the melee classes at least). There's crap going on everywhere; There's players swarming objectives everywhere you go; And despite portraying the game as quest less, you literally kill X amount of this and this, and collect X amount of this and that. You just don't have to physically talk to a npc to get the quest.

I think a lot of the people who are creaming themselves over this game are burnt out on WoW and were looking for a change of pace. I'm just wondering how long this game will keep people's interest. For me it was a couple of days.

#13 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

Yu are just used too, and like the old comfortable way of things. No harm in that. Pick one of the dozens of games out there that is filling that need.

#14 Posted by Goron24 (951 posts) -

Yu are just used too, and like the old comfortable way of things. No harm in that. Pick one of the dozens of games out there that is filling that need.

vishisluv7

Dude actually read his posts that's not really what hes saying.

#15 Posted by johnwck90 (16 posts) -

I agree that the combat and the professions/class system is the worst part of an otherwise amazing game.  I am in wonder at the amount of labour and integration of labour around detail in the game world but having played for a couple of weeks now, I agree wholeheartedly with the initial thread.  I also feel sadly disengaged by the character-mechanics.  In other MMOs I can usually figure out a point to do something decisive maybe, taunt a mob at the last minute or lay on healing or something but in GW 2 I feel like an ant and often cannot target mobs nor really understand what I am doing.  As a player of limited inclination to develop complex skills in a form I engage with for absorption I usually just fit my main skills on my toolbar and play within the confines of that and in GW 2 I just find machine hitting the five keys as they cooldown and too often I see something and just think "there is nothing I can do about that", a feeling I too often play games to escape in relation to the real world.  I realised the weakest part of the game for me is the class design.  I just never feel engaged via a role in the game, everyone is essentially DPS and there is no way you can really even grab a particular mob as everyone just rushes around like ants trying to fulfil their particular function.  It's worth playing nevertheless for the beauty and intricacy of the world but I do agree with your points about combat and the disabsorption.  I can see why the designers have gone this way because this is how MMOs are played by the mass of players. I've played a lot of WoW, Star Wars and Rift and nobody looks to group or really associate outside of their cliques and if you play games outside of an actual real-world group who use a particular product it's actually very hard to get involved at all.  I never did in WoW, which is played in lineages of players who start around the same time and play together since they hit level-cap around the same time and so embarked on gearing-up around the same time.  I was so much looking forward to GW 2 hoping it would be a nice atmosphere but also I've learned what to expect: few people who play on-line games seem to want to play cooperatively in a relaxed and engaged atmosphere.  But a very interesting thread, well observed and accurate.  I think the labour GW 2 manifests is remarkable and the world itself is worth the box/entry price to enjoy but I do agree with your points about the game's character mechanics and combat.

#16 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

[QUOTE="vishisluv7"]

Goron24

Sounds like every point is a variation of "it isn't what I'm used to". He's complaining the game isn't for him because it isn't like the rest of them, so i'm simply saying, go play one of the dozens of clones already out there, they have none of the "problems" he listed.

#17 Posted by Wanderer34 (547 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goron24"]

[QUOTE="vishisluv7"]

vishisluv7

Sounds like every point is a variation of "it isn't what I'm used to". He's complaining the game isn't for him because it isn't like the rest of them, so i'm simply saying, go play one of the dozens of clones already out there, they have none of the "problems" he listed.

For what it's worth, I didn't think you were being rude. I did want to clarify a few things however:

People keep saying my dislike of the game is solely due to some bias I had prior to playing. Like I picked up the game thinking it was going to be exactly like every other MMO, it wasn't, therefore I don't like it. It's actually the opposite of that. I heard all these rave reviews that the game was some sort of revolutionary step forward, and that this was the new face of MMO's. My biggest gripe is that it was neither of those. I actually think it's devolutionary. The gameplay reminds me of old arcade game where you just ran around like a maniac shooting everything in sight. And jumping puzzles? Lol. FYI to those who are young...jumping puzzles were the cornerstone of just about every single game that came out for atari and the first generation of nintendo. I never want to do another jumping puzzle ever again.

I simply don't like the gameplay. It's not complex to me. It's not engaging. And the main draw of an MMORPG is lacking in this game - character development and immersion. I can't say it enough...it's like an old school arcade game to me.

#18 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

No, I get what you are saying, in fact, what you describe sounds pretty lame. I'm not even advocating GW2, but considering how forums go, I could understand.

Have you played TSW? It might be up your alley.

#19 Posted by Wanderer34 (547 posts) -

No, I get what you are saying, in fact, what you describe sounds pretty lame. I'm not even advocating GW2, but considering how forums go, I could understand.

Have you played TSW? It might be up your alley.

vishisluv7

Not yet, but it's on my list. Gotta spread out my video game budget so my Wife doesn't kill me. :p

#20 Posted by Titusthetiger (24 posts) -
I feel exactly the same about GW2 as you do, Wanderer34.
#21 Posted by davidsworld3 (2990 posts) -

MMO's will never really be a good option for me when it comes to gaming, I work many 12 hour days at John Deere, as good as the game looks, I wont ever have enough time to truly get into it.

Thats why the game isn't for me. :(

#22 Posted by SuperKaio-ken (406 posts) -

Meh, the game obviously isn't going to appeal to everybody, but I still heavily disagree with a lot of what you had to say. Here are the main things.

1) I actually miss quest givers. Gives a certain flow and immersion that GW2 is lacking to me.

Well first GW2 does have quest givers (just not a quest logbook), and you still will generally have a linear order on what quests you can and cannot do depending on your level. There is still "flow here" The difference is that this game isn't JUST about questing in the world, as you wander around you'll encounter dynamic events, skill point marks, waypoints, viewpoints and points of interest that will all contribute to your level. If you open your eyes you will see that GW2 does have that same flow other MMO's do, it just gives you a lot more to do than "Pick up quest>complete>pick up other quest" There is actually more to do and more immersion here.

2) I don't like the fast paced combat.

The combat is dynamic and not based on a "your turn my turn" system. Your complaints about killing a creature just to have another respawn can be applied to any other MMO out there. I don't know how you can complain about "not influencing anything" for example if you fail at defending a farm from attack by bandits other players will be forced to retake the farm and kill off the bandits. There is influence here, and though it is limited it is still much more than what you would see in other MMO's on the market today.

3) The limitation on powers/skills

Again there seems like a silly complaint. You have 10 active skills on the bar + some more on the top of the bar and they are ALL useful and need to be used. Compared MMO's like WoW where you really only are using maybe 6-8 skills combined with cooldowns in a PVE environment (maybe 10-12 in situational PVP environment) though if you add in GW2's weapon swap system I'd still say GW2 limitation with power/skills is no more than other MMO's on the market, if anything it is less limiting.

4) I miss the slow, thought out pace of combat of a traditional mmo.

You are in a large minority here. The slow paced-turn based combat in traditional MMO's was generally due to the restrictions on technology. By 2012 this has become less of a problem which is why you see MMO's like GW2 doing much more with their combat systems. (Example: Engineer laying down wall of fire for Hunter to shoot his arrows through that cause flame damage) and the combat not being turn based or slow and having dodge mechanics.

5) I felt like I was constantly being bombarded by sensory overload

The game is beautiful, vast and has a pretty decent draw distance with a lot going on. This is a good thing, not a bad thing in a game. The world should feel alive, not dull. Your complaint about "too much" going on doesn't make sense to me at all. You just want a "set narrow path" where you go from point A to point B with nothing else happening, or at least that is what the type of player you sound like to me.

8) Despite not having quest givers, and acting as though you don't have b.s. kill ten boars quests, you still kill x amount of critters/collect x amount of materials in quests.

Yes, but you miss the point here. The game gives you the freedom to choose what you want to do in the quest to complete it. You don't just "have" to kill x 10 boars, you can go feed the cows or kill the bandits hiding in a bush or water the plants. You aren't restricted to killing x 10 of something to complete the quest, the game gives you the option to complete the quest in the way you want to complete it.

9) I was intrigued by the jumping puzzles at first...until I realized why I stopped playing mario brothers style games like 15 years ago. Boing, boing, boing *fall* boing, boing, boing, boing, *fall* "Ok, I've had enough of that."

/facepalm The viewpoints are optional, it adds immersion to the game, gives you a reason to explore and at most really takes about 2-3 minutes to do. It's nice to have and adds to the atmosphere of the game.

10) I miss having a defined role

Are you even playing the same game? Just because there is no holy trinity doesn't mean you lack a unique role in the game. You'll need to fill a unique role when the content gets harder later on, what that role will be depends on your class.

Your complaints just for the most part seem silly to me.

#23 Posted by NeoGen85 (4150 posts) -

I've probably played MMORPGs for as long as you have and because of that I thought the evolution of the genre would be in a sandbox form that was very much appealing not only to the core gamer but the casual as well. Something that introduced a even more simplistic system that evolved into complex gameplay that was hard to master. All this while avoiding the feeling of grind; and presenting players with several other end-game options besides raiding or PvP combat. This is not Guild Wars 2.

Although, I do not see Guild Wars 2 as a devolution of the genre. In fact, many people said that about World of Warcraft. Right around the time The Burning Crusade released, so did Vanguard: Saga of Heroes which was a tribute to old traditions and the sandbox feel. Besides the bugs, gamers' reaction to it reminded me that EverQuest was over. Blizzard did a really good job at studying what gamers wanted from a MMORPG based off the changes in gamer's habits. Because of that it was very much successful.

It's been about 7 or 8 years since World of Warcraft released and our taste has changed once again. We've definitely seen a slow evolution in this genre(especially with story elements). Gamer's habits are always evolving and ArenaNet did a very good job at adapting too it. Guild Wars 2 is going to be around for a long time simply because of that.

On another note: I actually have a Guardian that I play. Last week I started doing my first dungeons and the game definitely tests you. I recently went from trying to spec my Guardian as some DPS character to a Tank/Healer/Support role. The first few pick-up parties I did had no other elements to their game beside dealing damage. I never died so much in a MMORPG in a short period time. You really start to learn how to play your character once you begin to do these instances. I never knew how important defensive and healing skills were until I saw people dying so quickly around me.

#24 Posted by Starcus (22 posts) -

I agree with your point on the hearts, people are acting like they're some magical innovative invention that's eradicated fetch quests but really they're just disguised fetch quests. But that's your only point I agree on, if you want the dated MMO format then WoW hasn't gone anywhere.

Also combat is so much less 'simplistic' than any other MMO I've played, you don't have 10 abilities but 15 and 4 more F1-F4 spells depending on your profession, so as a mesmer I have 19 skills to use at any given time, and it's not like WoW where to win you do the same roation of 4 buttons, over and over again. I actually have to utilise EVERY one of those 19 skills during big battles and I almost always use every single one of them at least once, I've never had that much fun and input during PvE on WoW because the combat doesn't require situational thinking at all like besides some really simple raid mechanics such as "move out of the way of the firey stuff."