The hype got me again. Guild Wars 2...universal acclaim, revolutionary gameplay, beautiful graphics...sounded amazing. But surprisingly, I just cannot get into the game. Here's why:
1) I actually miss quest givers. Gives a certain flow and immersion that GW2 is lacking to me.
2) I don't like the fast paced combat. Doesn't really feel like I'm doing anything other than killing redundant things over and over like in an old school arcade game. The reviews kept raving about how you actually influence events in the world, but it was very difficult for me to get immersed when I would kill a creature, only to have another immediately spawn over and over and over again. Didn't feel like I was influencing anything other than the quest requirement bar in the right hand of the screen.
3) The limitation on powers/skills that you can actively use in combat makes combat feel simplistic. I know there are arguements that there are tactical considerations/etc, but having 10 or so abilities without concern for power/mana management just made it very boring for me right off the bat.
4) I miss the slow, thought out pace of combat of a traditional mmo.
5) I felt like I was constantly being bombarded by sensory overload wherever I went...whether it was the constantly immediately regenerating spawns, or the npc's yelling at me to "come over here" or the vast amount of information on the overhead map, or the fact that any time I walked into a different area, a new quest immediately popped up whether I wanted it to or not, it's just a lot of information, colors, movement, enemies, npc's, and other players all over the place.
6) I hate the way the overhead map pulls up. I prefer if it instantly pulled up when you click the "m" button.
7) I'm normally not a fan of high fantasy, preferring fantasy on par with Lord of the Rings, so this is really just a personal preference, but I felt like the flora/fauna/color scheme of the world was a bit too over the top. It's beautiful, sure...for a little while. But there's just too much going on. Too many crazy glowing things here, or zany looking plants, or creatures...just too much. I was hoping when I created a sylvari character I would be transported into a beautiful, lush, natural looking landscape with a hint of high fantasy elements, but it's more like Jackson Pollock painted on a tie dye t-shirt.
8) Despite not having quest givers, and acting as though you don't have b.s. kill ten boars quests, you still kill x amount of critters/collect x amount of materials in quests. They just don't actively ask you to do so. You go in an area and it just pops up, but it's essentially the same thing.
9) I was intrigued by the jumping puzzles at first...until I realized why I stopped playing mario brothers style games like 15 years ago. Boing, boing, boing *fall* boing, boing, boing, boing, *fall* "Ok, I've had enough of that."
10) I miss having a defined role...filling a niche...or finding unique ways to fit into a niche. There's really none of that in this game. Everyone pretty much does the same thing...damage, damage, damage, *heal self*, damage, damage, damage.
I wish there was a way I could give this game to someone who would enjoy it because as it stands now, I just wasted about $65. Also, I want to point out that this is not a troll post. I actually own the game, have played for about 20 hours, and really tried to get into it. It's just not my thing, and I'm sure there's at least a few other people who had a similar experience. I will say this...my Sylvari character model is the most interesting looking character I've ever had. I love the lore behind the race. Actually, I liked most of the lore of the game...just not the game itself.