Soloable?

#1 Posted by Solymer89 (13 posts) -

So, it's not that I'm anti-social or anything, it's just that, I'm kind of anti-social.  So I'm wondering, how much enjoyment could one get out of this game from a solo standpoint.  I hate to bring WoW in to this, but I lasted the better part of six years in that game, and I'm not entirly sure why.  It could be that I transitioned from questing (when questing actually took time and effort) to pvping. Never did get in to crafting all that much and I never raided or was ever part of a large, organized guild.  Will this be worth the time for me or should I look elsewhere?

#2 Posted by NeverMore0 (995 posts) -
Well the thing about this game is you kinda group up without intending to. Like an event will start, and a bunch of people will join in to complete it. You help each other out even if you're not in the same group, and it doesn't hurt your XP gain. So if you specifically want to not see other people around you while you're questing, you're screwed, but if you just don't care about forming parties and interacting with people, that's not a problem. Most quests can be completed alone. Also things like gathering and crafting give XP so you can level up without fighting all the time, if you'd like.
#3 Posted by Solymer89 (13 posts) -

Well the thing about this game is you kinda group up without intending to. Like an event will start, and a bunch of people will join in to complete it. You help each other out even if you're not in the same group, and it doesn't hurt your XP gain. So if you specifically want to not see other people around you while you're questing, you're screwed, but if you just don't care about forming parties and interacting with people, that's not a problem. Most quests can be completed alone. Also things like gathering and crafting give XP so you can level up without fighting all the time, if you'd like.NeverMore0

This is actually my prefered way to play an MMO, grouping is not an issue and I know for fact you need others to accomplish things.  It's just all my RL friends aren't in to these types of games and as much as I've tried, I just can't connect with others over a game (not to mention I keep my schedule fluid so it's hard to match up with folks I don't know).  So knowing that this functions kind of like Rift is perfect in my book.  I'm more concerned with being able to make a noticeable impact on my own, whether it's just questing or pvping.  Obviously balance issues will be prevalent as it is in all MMO's, but since I enjoy playing caster classes, and playing by myself, in most games, I usually end up as a hinderance to my team due to the fact that I just get rolled by the other team, or don't do enough damage or have enough survivablity myself.  After watching some of the videos I can see that this may still be the case, but it looks fun enough that I'm giving this game a shot for sure.  

#4 Posted by Dsolow5 (399 posts) -

I'm also anti-social, especially with online strangers. GW2 is being marketed as a game where grouping is very natural and encouraged, which isn't necessarily a good thing for me.

However, the overall design/gameplay is really good. The game plays a lot better than most MMOs. I'd recommend it because of this alone.

#5 Posted by jmrwacko (6469 posts) -
The great part about GW2 is that the questing is completely seamless, so you can partake in group content without having to talk to or interact with anyone. Everything is soloable except the explorable dungeons.
#6 Posted by jmrwacko (6469 posts) -

I'm also anti-social, especially with online strangers. GW2 is being marketed as a game where grouping is very natural and encouraged, which isn't necessarily a good thing for me.

However, the overall design/gameplay is really good. The game plays a lot better than most MMOs. I'd recommend it because of this alone.

Dsolow5
If you really have an aversion to interacting with people, you can X out the chat window and turn off chat bubbles, and just treat the player characters like friendly NPCs.
#7 Posted by linthes999 (52 posts) -

The majority of Guild Wars 2 is soloable. There's even your very own personal story which plays out much like a single player game. 

I played solo through the recent beta events, and all of the content that I have so far encountered can be done without typing anything to anyone.  Grouping occurs seamlessly with players who happen to be in an area where a Dynamic Event is in play.  There is no Party UI for this type of grouping, it just.. happens. You never have to accept a party invite for Dynamic Events. Nor fight other players for mobs, loot, materials etc.  The Dynamic Events also scale to the amount of people participating, so it never feels like a pushover even when 50 or so people are doing the same event.

On the other hand, if you happen by a Dynamic Event and there are no other players around, it can still be completed solo - as long as you stay on your toes and play correctly!  I did find a few event's which were extremely challenging to solo (which may have been due to a scaling issue) but was able to finish them by myself thanks to the forgivable Downed-State.  The only time you would be required to interact with others, is if you chose to run one of the many 5man dungeons.

All in all you can easily play this game without interacting with other players.

#8 Posted by Solymer89 (13 posts) -

Thanks for all the responses everyone!  I'm very encouraged by this and very much looking forward to this game now.  Next step, pre purchase and get some beta weekends in... if they are still doing that.

#9 Posted by linthes999 (52 posts) -

Thanks for all the responses everyone!  I'm very encouraged by this and very much looking forward to this game now.  Next step, pre purchase and get some beta weekends in... if they are still doing that.

Solymer89
There's one more Beta Weekend coming up. It takes place on the 20th-22nd July and possibly a subsequent Stress Test a few days later. If you pre-purhcase, I'm pretty sure you can start playing on the 25th of August (3 day head start).
#10 Posted by Solymer89 (13 posts) -

Yep I just discovered this will be the last beta weekend until release, also Massively has beta keys available but there were about 250 left as of 11:45am CST  and yes I snagged one :P

#11 Posted by Chris_USMC (25 posts) -

I just pre-purchased today, and I'm downloading the client right now.  I got an e-mail inviting me to the beta next weekend, but I guess I missed out on this weekend's beta?  Bummer...if their site had been working properly within the past two days, I would have ordered the game sooner. :(

#12 Posted by linthes999 (52 posts) -
Guild Wars 2 has had 1 beta weekend per month. The most recent one was in June, the next one is 20th of July.
#13 Posted by tenshigetsu (3 posts) -
just an fyi on soloable content: personal stories. tuning in the bwes was not the greatest on all the personal stories, my norn guardian, and my fiancee's norn ranger, had a couple of spots that we needed to ask each other for help, just because you were overwhelmed by six-eight mobs at once, and that WAS a part of the story's content. most of the content i played in other profession/stories was soloable, there were a couple of spots that, in my opinion, weren't. and i don't go crying for help until i've died at least six times, lol! hopefully that's been tuned so that all personal story content is able to be soloed, but be aware that some of it may be a mite bit difficult.