Question about this game

#1 Posted by sirk1264 (5570 posts) -

I am a really busy person. Work an 8-5 job during the week. I saw the review on this game and it looks like something I would enjoy. I like action rpg like torchlight and diablo and guild wars 2 looks like that kind of game. Do you need to be a part of a group to play this game or can you just solo it out? I don't have a ton of time to get on and play for long hours of the day and wouldn't be able to get on at scheduled times say if I was in a group with my group. 

#2 Posted by suksass (35 posts) -

While I only started today. From everything I know you can play it solo althought you will find yourself taking down boss monsters with other players even if your not in party. Loot distribution system makes sure that there can't be a full time ninjas around.

#3 Posted by sirk1264 (5570 posts) -

While I only started today. From everything I know you can play it solo althought you will find yourself taking down boss monsters with other players even if your not in party. Loot distribution system makes sure that there can't be a full time ninjas around.

suksass
So I would have to join up with a group eventually?
#4 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -
[QUOTE="suksass"]

sirk1264

No. World events are events that you can just walk towards and start doing. For example, a boss monsters spawns in a village somewhere on the map. All players in a xxx radius get a message and can deceide to go there or keep on doing w/e they were doing. All the players that arrive at the bossmonster work together to take it down. But you are not grouped, you just work together on an individual basis. When the monster dies everyone that helped get's xp, gold and loot depending on how much you contributed. And after all is said and done everyone walks back to what they were doing. You can do all leveling and questing without grouping, except actual instanced dungeons, but those are optional. Hope that helped.
#6 Posted by sirk1264 (5570 posts) -

[QUOTE="sirk1264"][QUOTE="suksass"]

PetJel

No. World events are events that you can just walk towards and start doing. For example, a boss monsters spawns in a village somewhere on the map. All players in a xxx radius get a message and can deceide to go there or keep on doing w/e they were doing. All the players that arrive at the bossmonster work together to take it down. But you are not grouped, you just work together on an individual basis. When the monster dies everyone that helped get's xp, gold and loot depending on how much you contributed. And after all is said and done everyone walks back to what they were doing. You can do all leveling and questing without grouping, except actual instanced dungeons, but those are optional. Hope that helped.

Thanks for the info. That helped a lot. Definitely will give this game a shot soon. No subscription is a bonus too. 

#8 Posted by armydominican69 (4146 posts) -

i have a question, is this an online only game? or can i play it without the need of internet?

#9 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

i have a question, is this an online only game? or can i play it without the need of internet?

armydominican69
MMO = Online only.
#10 Posted by MyklS (2 posts) -

Am I going to be able to play it on my laptop?

#11 Posted by Ratsneve (397 posts) -
[QUOTE="PetJel"]You can do all leveling and questing without grouping, except actual instanced dungeons, but those are optional. Hope that helped.

Cool--thanks. Are there dungeons to explore that don't require grouping just like the monster example you give? I'd hate to miss dungeons. How do they work? Thanks.
#12 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

[QUOTE="PetJel"]You can do all leveling and questing without grouping, except actual instanced dungeons, but those are optional. Hope that helped.Ratsneve
Cool--thanks. Are there dungeons to explore that don't require grouping just like the monster example you give? I'd hate to miss dungeons. How do they work? Thanks.

For the actual group dungeons, as far as I'm aware, there is no way to play through them alone. You can however do these at any level after their entrylevel - so a dungeon with level 30 mobs will become available to you at level 30 - but you can still do them (grouped) when you are level 60 or 80, since you downscale with the content.

This way, if you don't get a chance to do them with some people at the lower levels, you can still do them later whenever you want and get worthwile xp and loot from them even if you technically outlevel the content.

A lot of instanced (single player) missions have a similar gameplay structure as you might expect from dungeons though, fight through a cave / village and then kill the boss at the end for example. And ofcourse there are a whole lot of 'normal' caves and mini-dungeons hidden throughout the world, often with veteran or even boss mobs at the end, which you can beat without grouping up.

#13 Posted by Ratsneve (397 posts) -

Thanks for this info.  I'm getting into the game now but still have a lot of training/understanding to figure out/read about.

However, right now I'm having trouble logging into the GW2 Forums--I get an Error 401 when Accepting the forum rules so I can't post or search there.

In the game itself I'm also experiencing, after sometimes many hours, much keyboard lag and a little mouse lag.  I do use wireless and wonder if that is a poor choice?  The lag sometimes lasts for up to 30 seconds it seems where the character is stuck as far as _all_ keyboard commands go but can still use mouse functions.  I experienced this same problem with the original Borderlands that I just finished playing--no solution there and instead of dealing with the problem I just lived with it.  I can't afford that with this game though--it _will_ drive me crazy this time.

First thing to do today is update the GTX 570 video drivers...  I know they must be out of date some.

#14 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

For online gaming wireless is never a good choice. The signal strength constantly shifts and if the signal weakens for a few seconds you will immediately notice this in your gameplay. This is why I always play with wired internet access, even though I have wireless on and available.

I have (only) noticed actual server lag on one or two seperate occasions in the past few weeks, but those seemed to sort out again pretty fast.

The forums might be down for a bit, I don't visit them that often but found them being down once. Perhaps this is the same cause for your authentication error.

#15 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -
About the lag you mentioned, have you selected the correct server region? (Europe, US,-) It might seem obvious but could be missed, causing traffic delays.
#16 Posted by Ratsneve (397 posts) -
About the lag you mentioned, have you selected the correct server region? (Europe, US,-) It might seem obvious but could be missed, causing traffic delays.PetJel
Believe it or not it looks like the problem is totally fixed. Believe it or not it looks like Logitech wireless receivers in fact DO NOT pass signals through sheet rock walls (3 feet) but take paths through doors which places the receiver about 20 feet from keyboard and mouse. Passed a six foot shielded USB extension through the wall and placed the receiver less then a foot from the keyboard and mouse. Lag has totally disappeared. Played several hours last night and all day today with zero lag. Go figure.
#17 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -
[QUOTE="PetJel"]About the lag you mentioned, have you selected the correct server region? (Europe, US,-) It might seem obvious but could be missed, causing traffic delays.Ratsneve
Believe it or not it looks like the problem is totally fixed. Believe it or not it looks like Logitech wireless receivers in fact DO NOT pass signals through sheet rock walls (3 feet) but take paths through doors which places the receiver about 20 feet from keyboard and mouse. Passed a six foot shielded USB extension through the wall and placed the receiver less then a foot from the keyboard and mouse. Lag has totally disappeared. Played several hours last night and all day today with zero lag. Go figure.

Ha. :D Glad to hear it turned out ok.
#18 Posted by Kickable (1097 posts) -
hands down most solo-friendly MMO. I heard someone mention you can get max level just by exploring the world and nothing else. maybe someone here can confirm that
#19 Posted by Allicrombie (25240 posts) -
hands down most solo-friendly MMO. I heard someone mention you can get max level just by exploring the world and nothing else. maybe someone here can confirm thatKickable
dunno about that but I can attest to it being very solo friendly. You get exp for everything, from exploring the world to mining and gathering.
#20 Posted by TheTenth10 (3059 posts) -

can't register for the forums also, my name/password is accepted and I'm sent to the page to accept the terms, but I'm also asked to sign in or register on top of the page ...

#21 Posted by 8BitKila (16 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kickable"]hands down most solo-friendly MMO. I heard someone mention you can get max level just by exploring the world and nothing else. maybe someone here can confirm thatAllicrombie
dunno about that but I can attest to it being very solo friendly. You get exp for everything, from exploring the world to mining and gathering.

Getting 100% world completion requires you to discover all the vistas, points of interest, and finish the heart quests on every map. You'll reach level 80 long before you're able to do this.