I wonder about people who don't like this game.

• 58 results
#1 Posted by thedemon44 (235 posts) -

I wonder about people who don't like this game.I wonder what race they play. The areas they have been to. And how many classes they have tried.

Guild Wars 2 is a complete success, and I think they did exactly what they claimed they were going to do: redefine the MMORPG genre, while making it more fun, and at a cost that is accessable to anyone looking for a long term investment.

What's not to like?

#2 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

Well I was a bit ´meh´ at first too. Any new MMO takes time to get into. Some area´s start off boring and graphically unappealing, some classes start off unappealing, and people probably get confused when they unlock all their basic skills at lv 5 and think ´is this all there is?'. I hated WoW until level 15, 20 and even then it was relatively boring at times. It grew on me, I learned the game, and played it a ton in the end with great joy.

I like many others was expecting that old WoW feeling again, something amazing, new, fresh, like going back in time. But that's not how GW2 works. GW2 is absolutely amazing in it's own way. You have to put WoW on the side and learn about GW2 to fully appreciate it. Skill combo's. Weapon sets. The crafting. The cities. The landscapes later on. And I think many don't give the game that chance, causing them to miss out on something amazing.

At least that's what I think.

#3 Posted by Diamondsoulz (363 posts) -

Game gives me Eyestrain nuff said

#4 Posted by valkyrio (3 posts) -
I agree with you, I have no idea why people do not like this game but I really don't care because I am having a blast. I haven't played a game that has got me this excited since wow, and its a great feeling. I am really looking forward to experiencing all of the content that the game has to offer, and since I am not paying a monthly subscription fee I am free financially to pay a sub fee for another mmo that might come along that tickles my fancy.
#5 Posted by valkyrio (3 posts) -
btw that 15 dollars that I will be saving every month will be paying for Showtime and HBO. Dexter FTW!!!
#6 Posted by Titusthetiger (24 posts) -

I have played the game ~15 hours, tried norn elementalist, human thief and charr warrior. I can't explain exactly what it is with this game, but I'm just not having any fun playing it (even though I did like GW1). I obviously haven't reached the higher levels yet, but in the relatively short time I've played the game seemed way too easy. Also, the camera annoys me.

#7 Posted by KaSeRoR (26 posts) -

From a 10+ yr UO player and ULTIMATE WoW Hater (not a fan of Popeye-looking kiddie characters), my MMORPG world has been saved! GO GUILD WARS 2! It is only going to get bigger! So far so good!

>=)

#9 Posted by only495 (3 posts) -

Also depends on the person's purpose for playing. The mentality of rushing to max level for bragging rights isn't going to help them with sticking to the game (which is a good thing as it weeds out those sort of players away from the player base). Collaboration is a very important aspect in this game that I thoroughly enjoy, whether it is in WvW or lending a hand to a stranger in finishing off a mob quicker.

#10 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

Honestly this is the best mmo out there in every department.   Just my opinion.

#11 Posted by Baselerd (5104 posts) -

I have played the game ~15 hours, tried norn elementalist, human thief and charr warrior. I can't explain exactly what it is with this game, but I'm just not having any fun playing it (even though I did like GW1). I obviously haven't reached the higher levels yet, but in the relatively short time I've played the game seemed way too easy. Also, the camera annoys me.

Titusthetiger
Wait till you reach the first dungeon and then you'll be complaining about how it's too hard ;-)
#12 Posted by g-burn (117 posts) -

My biggest complaint with the game is it feels like there is no strategy involved in combat. Everybody just goes in with guns blazing. The stuns, blindings, and stealth moves for a thief feel practically useless. That being said, this game has the most indepth crafting I've ever seen in an MMO. That is something SWTOR completly overlooked. The real joy of his game ,though, is getting out an losing yourself in the world. There is so much incentive to just go out and roam. Anybody who is level 80 by now has totally missed the point of this game. GW2 is about questing and the journy to the top, not the end game.

#13 Posted by Chonsie (327 posts) -

I wonder about people who don't like this game.I wonder what race they play. The areas they have been to. And how many classes they have tried.

Guild Wars 2 is a complete success, and I think they did exactly what they claimed they were going to do: redefine the MMORPG genre, while making it more fun, and at a cost that is accessable to anyone looking for a long term investment.

What's not to like?

thedemon44

Most of the ppl your talking about have never even played the game, its fourm spatter.

#14 Posted by trueepower44 (67 posts) -

Easily best MMO available today from my perspective as well. No sub fee is a huge bonus, I would pay a sub fee for this game.

#15 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

My biggest complaint with the game is it feels like there is no strategy involved in combat. Everybody just goes in with guns blazing. The stuns, blindings, and stealth moves for a thief feel practically useless. That being said, this game has the most indepth crafting I've ever seen in an MMO. That is something SWTOR completly overlooked. The real joy of his game ,though, is getting out an losing yourself in the world. There is so much incentive to just go out and roam. Anybody who is level 80 by now has totally missed the point of this game. GW2 is about questing and the journy to the top, not the end game.

g-burn

The pvp is quite good too, once you get used to it.

#16 Posted by samclockwise (187 posts) -

I like guild wars to even if I have had some major problems with turning in quests and doing some of the dungions.

#17 Posted by ExplosiveChorro (1074 posts) -

Well I was a bit ´meh´ at first too. Any new MMO takes time to get into. Some area´s start off boring and graphically unappealing, some classes start off unappealing, and people probably get confused when they unlock all their basic skills at lv 5 and think ´is this all there is?'. I hated WoW until level 15, 20 and even then it was relatively boring at times. It grew on me, I learned the game, and played it a ton in the end with great joy.

I like many others was expecting that old WoW feeling again, something amazing, new, fresh, like going back in time. But that's not how GW2 works. GW2 is absolutely amazing in it's own way. You have to put WoW on the side and learn about GW2 to fully appreciate it. Skill combo's. Weapon sets. The crafting. The cities. The landscapes later on. And I think many don't give the game that chance, causing them to miss out on something amazing.

At least that's what I think.

PetJel
" graphically unappealing" You serious? Guild 1 and 2 remain one of the best art styles around. Even more so with GW2. The game is simply gorgeous.
#18 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -
[QUOTE="ExplosiveChorro"] " graphically unappealing" You serious? Guild 1 and 2 remain one of the best art styles around. Even more so with GW2. The game is simply gorgeous.

What I mean here is that a few starting zones look really boring by night. Without the big blooming lights, textures look very bland. Daytime on the other hand, everything looks fantastic. The art style itself is amazing, read the last part of my previous post.
#19 Posted by cowkiller321 (35 posts) -

About the graphics I have to say that I started off with sylvari and I had to stop it and start over with humans. The enviroment is a bit confusing if it's your 1st time , and the whole plant based scenery doesn't really help.

I really recommend starting off with humans if you're new to GW2 or to MMO, since it looks more familiar and natural. Maybe norn too, but I haven't played that race yet.

#20 Posted by Baselerd (5104 posts) -

For people who complain about the graphics, what other MMOs have better graphics?

#21 Posted by gw2supremacy (6 posts) -

g-burn
Sort of agree with your comments, I'm quiet enjoying the combat but it is early days for me so far. I certainly am with you on the joy of losing yourself in the world. As somebody once said its all about the journey not the destination.
#22 Posted by anger021780 (339 posts) -
My favorite MMO since FFXI.
#23 Posted by pltr (54 posts) -

One would expect people who hated this game don't read its forum. It's true for me too, only stumbled on it by chance.

Hated every second of this game. Everything was so confusing, questlog didn't explain what I needed to do and where. Suddenly, got killed by mobs 2 times of my level. Ultimately ungelpful playerbase who told me to stop playing when I asked for advice.

And so I did, got my refund after 1.5 days. Only tried playing warrior.

Most unfun I've had in videogames for years.

#24 Posted by Chonsie (327 posts) -

One would expect people who hated this game don't read its forum. It's true for me too, only stumbled on it by chance.

Hated every second of this game. Everything was so confusing, questlog didn't explain what I needed to do and where. Suddenly, got killed by mobs 2 times of my level. Ultimately ungelpful playerbase who told me to stop playing when I asked for advice.

And so I did, got my refund after 1.5 days. Only tried playing warrior.

Most unfun I've had in videogames for years.

pltr

Quest log? there isnt one. mobs 2 times your lvl? what zone where you starting in? The quests pop up and tell you exactly what to do. You can even do a quest with out being in it's area. Player base is the best I have seen in years.

You comment hardly fits a person who has played the game. I have said this so many times.

#25 Posted by Baselerd (5104 posts) -

Probably my favorite MMO I've ever played. WoW and GW1 included. Very easy to pickup in small or large chunks, good community, varied quests, good balance, awesome PvP, challenging dungeons, great graphics and sound, I could go on all day...

#26 Posted by Baselerd (5104 posts) -

Probably my favorite MMO I've ever played. WoW and GW1 included. Very easy to pickup in small or large chunks, good community, varied quests, good balance, awesome PvP, challenging dungeons, great graphics and sound, I could go on all day...

#27 Posted by pltr (54 posts) -

Quest log? there isnt one. mobs 2 times your lvl? what zone where you starting in? The quests pop up and tell you exactly what to do. You can even do a quest with out being in it's area. Player base is the best I have seen in years.

Chonsie

Except there was a questlog which was saying stuff like "help soldiers". Who are those soldiers where they are and how I'm supposed to help them - no idea.

Anyway, I've no clue why are you even arguing, there was a question about people who didn't like the game and I answered it. What exactly are you trying to accomplish by contradicting me?

You comment hardly fits a person who has played the game. I have said this so many times.

Chonsie

Yeee.. well, whatever.

#28 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

I'm currently waiting on my refund.  I've played this game for about 20-30 hours and I've tried Mesmer, Guardian, Engineer, and Necro.  The leveling system is garbage.  I find it laughable people criticize WoW and SWTOR for having "boring" quests where you launch super weapons, start civil wars, or fight in a drug war but as soon as Guild Wars 2 asks them to travel half a continent away to water someone's crops then all of a sudden the leveling system is "ground breaking".  Then I have to hear about how the Dynamic Quest total rip off of WAR's Public Questing system is a "game changer".

That's what gets me most about this game: the holier than thou fanboys that have harassed every MMO's forum I've been a part of for 2-3 years.

Basic features GW2 is missing:

1) Cohesive leveling system

2) Dungeon finder

3) SPvP Finder (not WvWvW)

Things that are hilariously laughable:

1) Anti-farming software

2) "Discovery" based crafting in the age of wikipedia.

3) "Serious" PvE leveling system that involves feeding cows, watering crops, lighting lanterns, making wine, fixing sprinklers, and never rich, lore-based storytelling.

This game fails at every development level, the only thing I can say is functional is the combat which lacks depth and complexity. Arenanet tried to do in 10 buttons what other games use 40 for.  They failed.  

And for the love of Christ stop saying the game is F2P.  The game costs $60.  That's the price of 4 months in every MMO except for WoW.  

#29 Posted by Ratsneve (397 posts) -

What's not to like?

thedemon44
I don't like the hassle and wait I'm going through because I didn't save my GW account info (character name and password) of a few years ago when I was playing GW. Now I have to link up the accounts and I can't do it! So I can't play! That's something not to like.
#30 Posted by gdawg234 (7 posts) -

Don't listen to megatoku, to anyone considering buying this game. He's into that generic garbage and actually LIKED SWTOR (I don't believe it either). Anyways, his posts are extremely biased. The game is really good, minus a few flaws. For the most part its spectacular.

#31 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

Don't listen to megatoku, to anyone considering buying this game. He's into that generic garbage and actually LIKED SWTOR (I don't believe it either). Anyways, his posts are extremely biased. The game is really good, minus a few flaws. For the most part its spectacular.

gdawg234
Nicely done, you didn't address even a single point I brought up. So you think its okay for a modern MMO to release without a dungeon finder or PvP finder? Even the "generic garbage" SWTOR released with a PvP finder. You think its okay that the leveling system is built around feeding cattle and watering crops? And here's a Newsflash: Guild Wars 2 is as generic and derivative as it gets. They don't have a single original idea that wasn't lifted wholesale from another MMO. Go ahead, name some and I'll tell you where they stole it from.
#32 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

[QUOTE="gdawg234"]

Megotaku77

Nicely done, you didn't address even a single point I brought up. So you think its okay for a modern MMO to release without a dungeon finder or PvP finder? Even the "generic garbage" SWTOR released with a PvP finder. You think its okay that the leveling system is built around feeding cattle and watering crops? And here's a Newsflash: Guild Wars 2 is as generic and derivative as it gets. They don't have a single original idea that wasn't lifted wholesale from another MMO. Go ahead, name some and I'll tell you where they stole it from.

The pve in guild wars 2 is fairly unique.  They took some elements from Assassin's Creed and created and leveling experience that puts a heavy emphasis on exploration instead of only just grinding mobs for quests.  When you mix that element with the absurdly large and gorgeous world, I find the pve to be extremely fun and this is coming from someone who had basically given up on the MMO genre.  Another positive worth mentioning is the game engine itself.  It's so easy to navigate the world with such small loading/wait times, this is actually such a nice element.  No more flying around on gryphons or waiting for hearth cooldowns or whatever.

#33 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

The pve in guild wars 2 is fairly unique.  They took some elements from Assassin's Creed and created and leveling experience that puts a heavy emphasis on exploration instead of only just grinding mobs for quests.  When you mix that element with the absurdly large and gorgeous world, I find the pve to be extremely fun and this is coming from someone who had basically given up on the MMO genre.  Another positive worth mentioning is the game engine itself.  It's so easy to navigate the world with such small loading/wait times, this is actually such a nice element.  No more flying around on gryphons or waiting for hearth cooldowns or whatever.

2bitSmOkEy

This is a fascinating new development for MMO's.  I've had Guild Wars 2 compared to several exceptional games now from Monster Hunter 2, Dark Souls and now Assassin's Creed.  Why is it, then, when I play Guild Wars 2 it feels not one iota like any of the games its being compared with?  Have you played Guild Wars 2?  Dynamic Events and Hearts are exclusively grinding mobs, except the reason you're doing it is less relevant to the world than it was in WoW, SWTOR, or Rift.  

We can have a conversation about whether the world is aesthetically appealing but when you call the world "absurdly large" you are factually incorrect.  You could fit all 3 starting zones inside WoW's Northern Barrens.  The relative size of Guild Wars 2 is about the size of Gotham + Metropolis in DCUO.  What makes the world feel large is the fact that you have to slog on foot instead of soaring through the air lightning speed on wings like WoW or DCUO.  And those same features that make you see how large and sprawling a world actually is are trivialized by GW2 because you teleport everywhere you've already been.  So even if the world was large and gorgeous, being a level 80 you wouldn't know because you've never had to travel anywhere by any means other than teleporting.  Why are the loading times fast?  Because the world is small without much going on compared to other titles.  

#34 Posted by gdawg234 (7 posts) -

Don't argue with it. You're just throwing it more food.

#35 Posted by sblazed (373 posts) -

[QUOTE="gdawg234"]

Megotaku77

So you liked SWTOR better than that? LOL

Actually feeding cows, watering crops and doing little things like that add a good bit of diversity, a change from the usual KILL THIS KILL THAT, collect this. It does take the best ideas from various mmos and GLADLY, it also execute them well. Seriously no matter how you whine about the grips that this game have it will only improve and add to this the fact that this is a mmo without a subscription fee, well go back to SWTOR if you wish lololol

#36 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

So you liked SWTOR better than that? LOL

Actually feeding cows, watering crops and doing little things like that add a good bit of diversity, a change from the usual KILL THIS KILL THAT, collect this. It does take the best ideas from various mmos and GLADLY, it also execute them well. Seriously no matter how you whine about the grips that this game have it will only improve and add to this the fact that this is a mmo without a subscription fee, well go back to SWTOR if you wish lololol

sblazed

Mocking the game I like instead of defending your crap title only serves to prove how insecure you are with your MMO of choice. Feeding cows adds diversity? Lol, Guild Wars 2: Farmville edition. Come for the cow feedings, stay for the derivative gameplay lacking basic features that even "bad MMOs" like SWTOR have. You're right, though. Guild Wars 2 has the market cornered on releasing an unfinished product and improving slowly over time. I hope they can release the features when they aren't too busy banning people who play the market and improving on their anti-farming software. Its amazing how far people will bend over backwards not to pay a subscription, forgetting that you could play 4 months in any other title for the price of this piece of crap. And as for the dungeons, lol, this little idea was executed so poorly all you can read about on the internet these days is how awful the PvE dungeon experience is and how they didn't implement one iota of endgame content. Its a bad joke to claim it implemented ANY idea well.

And actually, SWTOR is dropping its subscription pretty soon too, so that little defense for your half finished disaster won't even be available much longer. With SWTOR at least I felt it had a quality base that could be built upon, the developers here weren't even dedicated enough to their own title to complete a leveling system, but didn't hesitate to make you grind 80 levels by feeding cows. You're right though, go here and collect hay to deliver to a cow is much more compelling gameplay than go here for illegal weapons shipments to deliver to special forces operatives. What was I thinking? I've seen the light! Stop fooling yourself, Guild Wars 2 is built on the same go here, collect that, and kill this that every other MMO is. The only real difference is the tasks are trivial and irrelevant. And you worship them for it.

Please though, keep mocking SWTOR. I know it makes you feel better considering Guild Wars 2, a game developed specifically for PvP didn't even release with a PvP ladder. You know your game is a half-finished disaster, and you know people are filing for refunds left and right. I played this game for 2 weeks and have already seen population drops of at least 25% in every area. Half the time I have to return to a starter zone just to find a Dynamic Event I don't have to SOLO. I'm just waiting for their insanely SLOW customer service to finally complete my refund. Its only taken them FOUR DAYS. Shocking, I know, given how spectacular and dedicated they were to every other aspect of MMO quality.

*EDIT*

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2. Lol, wow Guild Wars 2 has already dropped 45% of their player activity in less than 3 weeks. It took SWTOR 4 months to see that kind of decline. Wow... come on fanboys, explain THIS to me.

#37 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

xD you're quite upset about guild wars 2 aren't you?

#38 Posted by speedytimsi (309 posts) -

Well consider SWTOR development cost is around $150-$200 million I can see the difference b/t GW2 & SWTOR

Not saying that GW2 or SWTOR is better, just saying that GW2 didnt really had 2 use lots of money to make this game (& they probably dont have as much pressure as EA turning into a profit) , so it is what it is.

& yeah SWTOR is going free in Nov or something. But then again if I was to play SWTOR (hope there is more combat than storyline), i might as well go play wow or something

But yeah GW2 is not for everyone so i agree w/ that.

Dunno why but maybe it's a psychology thing that ppl feel awkward about paying a month-to-month subscription fee but no one complants about buying a game. (i guess u can get a refund or something at least. Heard of it. & gamestop)

#39 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

xD you're quite upset about guild wars 2 aren't you?

2bitSmOkEy

Not really, I'm more upset that they wasted my time and haven't given me my refund yet. I actually don't have a problem with ANET, except that they didn't make a very good MMO. What I don't like is that I've been under siege for 3 years by Guild Wars fanboys and now that their less than mediocre disaster is out, its their turn to have every flaw and inconsistency torn apart in their game. They should really be mad at ANET for giving me so much to work with. You'd probably see a more cordial discourse from me if this forum didn't have GW2 fanboys like gdawg saying stupid fanboy crap like "he likes x therefore he's stupid" who then post self congradulatory tripe like "I wonder about people who don't like this mediocre game!"

#40 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

Well, I don't know how anyone can say GW2 is mediocre, that's simply not true.  SWTOR was a good game as well, but the biggest problem it had was it was just way too similar to WoW. 

#41 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

Well, I don't know how anyone can say GW2 is mediocre, that's simply not true.  SWTOR was a good game as well, but the biggest problem it had was it was just way too similar to WoW. 

2bitSmOkEy

The term "mediocre" means of ordinary or moderate quality.  Is this game better than SWTOR, WoW, Rift, or DCUO?  It has less polish and less content than all 4 of those titles.  What does GW2 have that makes it stand out from other MMOs?  The combat system is slightly different, most wouldn't say better because it has less depth and complexity than any of the other titles I mentioned, but its definitely different from them.  Anything else?  The world is smaller, there are fewer dungeons than the average release, there are no raids, there is no pvp ladder, and its primary leveling system (dynamic events) isn't even original, Warhammer Age of Reckoning not only had them first, but did them better.  The crafting system is derivative of WoW + FFXI with the twist that many of your materials are prohibitively expensive and purchased from vendors and the other half of the materials cannot be farmed due to anti-farming software ANET implemented, so in fact that crafting system is decidedly inferior to other MMOs.

I'd say the term "mediocre" is generous for GW2 as it was released, its not a stand out title in anything it does.

#42 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

The pve IS different from any other mmo.  The focus on exploration instead of simply just grinding mobs is refreshing and addicting, especially considering how beautiful the game world itself is.  The pvp is faster paced and more twitchy than other mmos, largely in thanks to the dodging mechanics.  The ability to play any class you want instantly in s pvp is amazing.  No more spending a month or 2 leveling the class just to find out you don't particularly care for the pvp mechanics.  And do I even need to mention how awesome it is that there are no gear advantages in competitive pvp?

Also, I don't see how you can say the combat lacks depth.  If anything, I'd say this game acts as build order pron.  There are so many builds you can make per class and all of them can be tailored to specifically fit your own play style.  And finally, saying this game lacks polish is literally wrong.  Thats not an opinion, that's just incorrect.

#43 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

The pve IS different from any other mmo.  The focus on exploration instead of simply just grinding mobs is refreshing and addicting, especially considering how beautiful the game world itself is.  2bitSmOkEy

This isn't the first game to provide EXP for discovering new zones.  SWTOR even had Datacrons which provided permanent stat bonuses for exploring strange and unfamiliar areas.  GW2 doesn't foster exploration because everything is marked on the map, you don't have to explore, you have to connect the dots.  Its not exploration, its a guided tour.

The pvp is faster paced and more twitchy than other mmos, largely in thanks to the dodging mechanics.  The ability to play any class you want instantly in s pvp is amazing.  No more spending a month or 2 leveling the class just to find out you don't particularly care for the pvp mechanics.  And do I even need to mention how awesome it is that there are no gear advantages in competitive pvp?2bitSmOkEy

If the SPvP is indeed "faster paced" than other MMO's then that's a disaster.  SWTOR and WoW before Cataclysm were universally criticized for how busty and fast their PvP was.  You're saying GW2 PvP is faster than that?  I don't know about this "month or two leveling" business, since you could get most characters to level cap in WoW and SWTOR in about 10 days, but even granting that, you haven't a clue if the class plays how you want it to play in PvP at level 10 in GW2.  How do I know?  Because you don't have 70 traits.  My Mesmer has a 40% reduction in Staff Clone spell cooldowns, 20% reduction in all Staff cooldowns, 20% increased condition duration, 30% increased boon duration and 20% increased condition damage not counting that attacking my clones snares and debuffs you, I have massive bonuses to my shatters and all of the things that you absolutely, positively NEED traits for.  If you're telling me I would have had a clue what level 80 PvP was like at level 10, I would have come back and slapped you for lying.  There is NO comparison.  Conversely, if a level 10 were fighting my Mesmer, they don't stand a chance in hell against me.  They don't have the traits.

Also, the only reason you have the tiniest idea how your class plays in PvP at level 10 is because the combat lacks depth.  You don't have to manage 40 different abilities each with a specific function because all of your abilities are general purpose, i.e. very low skill floors and very low skill ceilings.  No depth.  

Also, I don't see how you can say the combat lacks depth.  If anything, I'd say this game acts as build order pron.  There are so many builds you can make per class and all of them can be tailored to specifically fit your own play style.  And finally, saying this game lacks polish is literally wrong.  Thats not an opinion, that's just incorrect.2bitSmOkEy

The combat lacks depth.  Variation is not depth.  You're still bound to 10-15 buttons it wouldn't matter if there were 1000 weapon combinations.  Go to mmo-mechanics.com and elitistjerks.com and wander around the WoW and SWTOR forums if you want to see what depth looks like.  Guild Wars 2 doesn't have depth, its all surface.  If you want to see what depth looks like in PvP head over to arenajunkies.com.  

#44 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

I don't really know what to say, you see everything completely different than I do. WoW and swtor both have depth to the combat, but it's different than Guild Wars 2. Also, I don't think you even played gw2 for very long if you think the exploration is just "connecting the dots".....

Btw, there is nothing wrong with WoW or SWTOR. WoW has been the genre leader for so long for a good reason. It's just for me personally, I'm enjoying Guild Wars 2 fresh view on pve and the faster paced pvp where skill matters more than gear or balance.

#45 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

I don't really know what to say, you see everything completely different than I do. WoW and swtor both have depth to the combat, but it's different than Guild Wars 2. Also, I don't think you even played gw2 for very long if you think the exploration is just "connecting the dots".....

Btw, there is nothing wrong with WoW or SWTOR. WoW has been the genre leader for so long for a good reason. It's just for me personally, I'm enjoying Guild Wars 2 fresh view on pve and the faster paced pvp where skill matters more than gear or balance.

2bitSmOkEy

If you're talking about exploration = exp, that's finding Points of Interest, Vantage Points and Waypoints with a bonus at the end of finding all in a given zone.  Those are clearly marked on the map, with POI's being dots.  That's connect the dots.  

If you're still maintaining that GW2 has depth of combat: 5 Signet GS/Rifle Warrior, the most popular build for the most popular class. 

#46 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

[QUOTE="2bitSmOkEy"]

Megotaku77

If you're talking about exploration = exp, that's finding Points of Interest, Vantage Points and Waypoints with a bonus at the end of finding all in a given zone. Those are clearly marked on the map, with POI's being dots. That's connect the dots.

If you're still maintaining that GW2 has depth of combat: 5 Signet GS/Rifle Warrior, the most popular build for the most popular class.

lol it's not like you're drawing a line between everything on your map or something. You still have to go out and actually explore the points on your map. Not to mention, you have to first discover these so called "dots" in the first place, they aren't already laid out for you on the map as you say. And it's not like that even matters, it's the actual act of exploring the world and uncovering all the secrets of a zone that is so fun. You're over simplfying it with your extreme bias.

I don't know anything about this rifle warrior build you bring up, I almost never see it in spvp, must suck. You act as if gw2 has like violated your life or something, you may need to go take a breath of fresh air or something?

#47 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

lol it's not like you're drawing a line between everything on your map or something. You still have to go out and actually explore the points on your map. Not to mention, you have to first discover these so called "dots" in the first place, they aren't already laid out for you on the map as you say. 2bitSmOkEy

No there are NPC's called Scouts that are marked on your map and they reveal them for you.  I'm wondering if you've played this game since the game forces you to use a Scout in every starting area.

And it's not like that even matters, it's the actual act of exploring the world and uncovering all the secrets of a zone that is so fun. You're over simplfying it with your extreme bias.2bitSmOkEy

You're the one that said the EXP system fostered exploration.  I'm pointing out the simple fact that there is no exploration and every feature on the map is revealed for you.  SWTOR had exploration.  As far as I can tell, its the only MMO that actually rewarded exploration with more than a tabard and a title.  

I don't know anything about this rifle warrior build you bring up, I almost never see it in spvp, must suck. You act as if gw2 has like violated your life or something, you may need to go take a breath of fresh air or something?2bitSmOkEy

Rifle warrior?  When did I say "rifle warrior"?  Oh you mean when I said 5 Signet GS/Rifle.  Which is the most popular build of warrior, the most popular class.  You stack a healing signet, 3 utility signets and 1 elite signet and then destroy people/mobs with your GS.  This means Greatsword, which anyone whose actually played this game longer than 5 minutes should know already.  You only use the Rifle because it has high power DPS cooldowns to mow down fleeing targets and provide pressure DPS in PvE.  Wait... omg you don't know you can weapon swap in combat.  How cute, and you were trying to talk to me about the benefits GW2 without even knowing that you could weapon swap in combat.  Because that is literally the only explanation for why you ignored the GS in GS/Rifle.

This is why I have little patience for GW2 fanboys.  Not only have you not played the game enough to even know what I'm talking about, you automatically assumed you knew exactly what I was talking about and jumped on a strawman without even considering you didn't understand me.  Then you do that same conscending schpeel despite being a semi-literate twerp about how I need to "get some fresh air" despite the fact that you've been here just as long as I have.  Did it ever occur to you that there's such a thing as "tabbed browsing"?  Did it ever occur to you that maybe I'm a college student with my browser running in the background while I write my research paper, play Skyrim and watch youtube?  No, because the world revolves around you fanboys.  You're so important that after you type something people sit here with bated breath simply awaiting the moment you grace us with your presence again.  

#48 Posted by vezon (10 posts) -

@Megotaku77

Your points are just plain stupid, most of them.

First who the ... told u go half a mile just to water some crops? Second u dont need to water crops. Third u do whatever u want to level in this game. U can manage even to lvl only with the main story, ofc if u have friends. So does its enough for level just crafting or exploring.

Im not a huge fanboy of GW because I hate persistent world MMO's, I got f... bored in my first 15hours of WoW barely reaching lvl 20, everybody knows WoW shines only late game, but I can say I have fun with GW2 from lvl 1 even if its still a MMO.

And one of the biggest stupidity I am seeing against GW is the 10skill slotbar. I tell that I watched a lots of highlevel plays of WoW and other MMO's with 4 slotbars that occupy half of your screen. And guess what I observed? They use the same 3-4 skill over and over again. NO ABSOLTELY NO VARIATION in used skills. SO WHERE IS YOUR ... DIVERSITY?

here at least I use constantly 4*2+4 and the elite, which are 12 skills most of the time on cooldowns.

JUST PLAY A F.. MOBA with that 4 skill u have pretty deep tactics, so .. your stupid 40 skills bar which u never use but are there because they were unlocked at lower level.

I can't say its an awesome game, but definitely one of the best MMO's outhere.

#49 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

lol I'm not even a guild wars 2 fanboy. The fanboy in here is quite obviously you and your obsession with swtor, which again, is a good game but for me personally it was just way too similar to WoW. Playing through swtor on my sith assassin was a ton of fun, but shortly after experiencing the end game all it did was make me want to play WoW, which imo is far superior in that regard.

That said, the quality of gw2 is blatantly obvious, no one needs to defend it because it speaks for itself.

#50 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

lol I'm not even a guild wars 2 fanboy. The fanboy in here is quite obviously you and your obsession with swtor, which again, is a good game but for me personally it was just way too similar to WoW. Playing through swtor on my sith assassin was a ton of fun, but shortly after experiencing the end game all it did was make me want to play WoW, which imo is far superior in that regard.

That said, the quality of gw2 is blatantly obvious, no one needs to defend it because it speaks for itself.

2bitSmOkEy

The funniest part is I'm not even playing SWTOR right now.  I only bring it up because its one of 4 major western MMO's right now and since this conversation veered towards "exploration" its the only MMO that I even know of that rewards exploration.  I won't be playing SWTOR again until it goes F2P in October.

You're right though, GW2 quality is available for all to see like here.  Its already dropped 52.5% of its player activity in 3 weeks.  Even if you isolate Sunday's (its peak days) its already lost more than 25% of its player activity in only 14 days!  By this Sunday it'll likely have lost 33% of its player base.  It took SWTOR 3 months to see this kind of disastrous decline.  BTW I also bring up SWTOR because most of the GW2 fanboys consider it the biggest disaster in MMO history so I use its "failure' as a barometer for GW2's failure.  

GW2 needs defenders.  Because its so helpless and indefensible it can't defend itself.  Your game will just be an afterthought in 2 weeks, with ghost town servers and its only memory being the most crushing disappointment fanboys ever tried to defend.