I want to buy the game, but then I read this.

#1 Posted by ZombieAkane (273 posts) -

Quote from GameFaqs.

ScorpeX posted...
Sima Dai posted...
How does a game with no sub fees that sold over a million copies pre-launch fail?

This game has already succeeded. Only games with subs can "fail".

2 million isn't a lot for a game like this, especially considering so many have already left. For a leech game you need a vast population to cover all the people that will never use the cash shop, doesn't have enough players and didn't sell enough either.

I feel sorry for Anet, they must be sweating about how little money they made and how they are now going to support this game for the next 6 months. They will have to revise a lot of "promises", en expansion every 12 months will become every 6 months (with less content) and the cash shop will offer more pay to win items. They will also have to heavily nerf means to make gil to try push more gem sales, oh they are already doing this.

If I still played this game I would be worried about it's future, business run if they make money. This game didn't sell enough and is sliding down the charts faster and faster, means it's selling less every day.

Not a good idea to buy into this game now really, not a good idea to buy into a failure.

This scares me, I don't want to have the game be a waste of time. I don't want to have to grind 20 hours to get something that can be bought with $10.

I'm not against buying stuff in the cash shop at all, it's just that in my country I cannot make such purchases so it becomes difficult when pay to win is implemented.

Is the above quote really true or am I being paranoid?

This is the one thing that would really put me off of GW2 for good.

#2 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

Anet opened up a bunch of job positions shortly after launching gw2.

http://www.arena.net/jobs/

I don't think you need to worry so much about the game dying ;).

#3 Posted by urbansys (232 posts) -

I dont understand how the author of that post can say 2 million in the first 3 weeks of a game is not enough? Keep in mind, for about a week Anet shut down online digital sales while they allowed servers to properly fill up. They have turned back on digital sales and you will probably see a large jump in weekly sales.

As far as cash shop, you can what if that to death. There is no way of telling the future and to speculate on something to that scale in an MMO's first month of release is borderline idiodic. 

I can understand some are more cash strapped and spending the 60 dollars is a hard thing to do, but the only way your going to know if you like the game is giving it a try. Anet had huge success with GW1 and its longivity proves they can keep a palyer base going much easier than most mmo's.

#4 Posted by 483paul (525 posts) -

They did the same business model with GW1 and it is still up and running.  I'm not worried about GW2 going down anytime soon.  Even if it did go down in 6 months from now I got more out of the $60 i payed for this game then 99% of the games out there.

#5 Posted by Dusky323 (5 posts) -

I still haven't pulled the trigger on this game.  Ive watched about every video and read about every review from players and gaming sites and still can't make it happen.  Everytime I'm about to purchase, I talk myself out of it.  If I wasn't in the middle of Borderlands 2 I would have already bought GW2.  Or if every time I'm about to buy it I read a negative post like this and it sets me back another day.

#6 Posted by Baselerd (5104 posts) -

Talk about paranoia....

I guess the cash shop is a legimitate concern, but Arenanet has made itself very clear that they will never use the cash shop to provide "buy-to-win" features.

#7 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

hahahahaha

2 millioin people in the first few weeks is huge. your average mmo, minus obviously WoW, has much less players. If you consider that WoW might have 5-6 million ACTIVE players left GW2 is getting right up there in the first few weeks, many more will join in the next months (people that wait for christmas, wait for money, get dragged in by friends, dragged in by the good reviews, etc).

#8 Posted by Ronstera (6110 posts) -
Sigh, what are you a sheep? Easily swayed by others.. If you want to play the game then go buy it..
#9 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

I still haven't pulled the trigger on this game.  Ive watched about every video and read about every review from players and gaming sites and still can't make it happen.  Everytime I'm about to purchase, I talk myself out of it.  If I wasn't in the middle of Borderlands 2 I would have already bought GW2.  Or if every time I'm about to buy it I read a negative post like this and it sets me back another day.

Dusky323

If you want an mmo that swaps out grinding for a huge emphasis on exploration and group events, then you will absolutely love this game.  Also, it's stunningly gorgeous if you can max it.

#10 Posted by Kickable (1097 posts) -
everytime someone puts "GW2" and "pay-to-win" in the same sentence just assume they have their head up their ass and you're better off seeking advice from a wooden spoon
#11 Posted by SythisTaru (567 posts) -

Quote from GameFaqs.

ScorpeX posted...
Sima Dai posted...
How does a game with no sub fees that sold over a million copies pre-launch fail?

2 million isn't a lot for a game like this, especially considering so many have already left. For a leech game you need a vast population to cover all the people that will never use the cash shop, doesn't have enough players and didn't sell enough either.

I feel sorry for Anet, they must be sweating about how little money they made and how they are now going to support this game for the next 6 months. They will have to revise a lot of "promises", en expansion every 12 months will become every 6 months (with less content) and the cash shop will offer more pay to win items. They will also have to heavily nerf means to make gil to try push more gem sales, oh they are already doing this.

If I still played this game I would be worried about it's future, business run if they make money. This game didn't sell enough and is sliding down the charts faster and faster, means it's selling less every day.

Not a good idea to buy into this game now really, not a good idea to buy into a failure.

This scares me, I don't want to have the game be a waste of time. I don't want to have to grind 20 hours to get something that can be bought with $10.

I'm not against buying stuff in the cash shop at all, it's just that in my country I cannot make such purchases so it becomes difficult when pay to win is implemented.

ZombieAkane

Yes, 2 million copies is not an amazing number at all. Right? Derp. 

#12 Posted by TheTenth10 (3059 posts) -

Over 2 million seems quite good. The problem today is that companies die because the CEO and top ranking employees suck all the money and there's not enough left for the company to survive. Maintaining servers doesn't cost that much, some people will still buy from the shop, and they'll release non free expansions.

#13 Posted by 8BitKila (16 posts) -
That guy's obviously trolling, don't even listen to him. When over 2 million people buy something there's no way you're going to be able to call that a failure. It's not like they're going to suddenly become broke and shut down all the servers. Even the original Everquest is still running and it's been out for close to 15 years. As for the gem shop ruining the economy of the game, I doubt that's going to happen. "Pay to win" will only get you so far until you're forced to grind for legendaries just like everyone else. Making gold isn't that difficult once you reach 80 and start to grasp the concepts of the game. I've reached the point where I have a steady flow of gold coming in and can upgrade all my gears on a regular basis.
#14 Posted by Alesthes (33 posts) -

So, GW2 got

- More than 2 millions copies sold in few weeks, and growing

- Full or High population servers all across the board

- Highest ratings in years over ALL the major Videogame magazines of the WORLD, not a SINGLE negative review

- Very high ratings from players on every gaming website

Then you read a post by two unknown m****s on a forum and you are afraid about its future? Are you KIDDING, right?

Anyway, it's 2012, everybody should know by know that most big games live very well on microtransactions and expansion. Only big MMO which still asks for a monthly fee is WoW, and that's just because people are incredibly willing to do so. Read any Activision Blizzard quarter report and you'll see that the subscriptions aren't necessary in ANY WAY OR FORM to pay for the gaming development. The fee is there only because people pay for it, not because is needed.

#18 Posted by Corrupted_Wolf (956 posts) -

Anet opened up a bunch of job positions shortly after launching gw2.

http://www.arena.net/jobs/

I don't think you need to worry so much about the game dying ;).

2bitSmOkEy
That's normal for any game that didn't "fail" on launch. It doesn't really mean success.
#19 Posted by Corrupted_Wolf (956 posts) -

hahahahaha

2 millioin people in the first few weeks is huge. your average mmo, minus obviously WoW, has much less players. If you consider that WoW might have 5-6 million ACTIVE players left GW2 is getting right up there in the first few weeks, many more will join in the next months (people that wait for christmas, wait for money, get dragged in by friends, dragged in by the good reviews, etc).

PetJel
2 million people in first few weeks is little better than average for a MMO. Most game companies do not consider that figure to be significant unless it can hold over the first quarter. and why are we still comparing games to WoW? That beast is 8 years old but still chugging along about 9 million subscribers. It's has achieved amazing successes and still doing well. BUT nevertheless it is OLD game. It's unfair to GW2 to compare to WoW and it's unfair for WoW to be compared to GW2 (if we are talking figures WoW blows it out of the water by far) because they are games from different generations and GW2 being free makes it almost different category.
#20 Posted by Corrupted_Wolf (956 posts) -

Dusky323
I understand you want to be safe with your money and more importantly - your time. If you want GW2 best way to describe it is that it's like a vastly updated version of GW1. Still has its ups and downs of being a free game and if you are former WoW player - GW2 doesn't have the perks of being a overly popular game and being pay to play game. With that said, since it is a free game if you play at least 50 hours of it.... I'd consider your money well spent. And trust the players who are playing, that 50 hours will go by in a breeze.
#21 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

OP, you pay $60 for a lifetime subscription. Stop waffleing and buy it and enjoy yourself, or be scared away by what you read.

#22 Posted by skornedwarrior (75 posts) -

OP, the game is amazing speaking from the experience of playing since launch. I have played many MMO's and I got to say it's refreshing to have the drive to log in a game to have genuine fun rather than to slowly work towards the next peice of gear (carrot on a stick). The combat and graphics are also way ahead of most if not all MMO's in the genre. Do yourself a favor and get this game if you enjoy MMO gaming.

That review you posted was from someone who is trying to cast a cloud over the game, for whatever reason. I read half of it and could realise that he was just biasedly bashing the game and it was actually funny to see him write that gil was the currency. Is he even playing GW2? Or a final fantasy RPG?

#23 Posted by daman246 (479 posts) -

Trust me you will get your moneys worth. 45$ for more than 100Hours of Playtime.

#24 Posted by patton101 (446 posts) -

Quote from GameFaqs.

ScorpeX posted...
Sima Dai posted...

ZombieAkane

As someone who has played many MMO games in my day I was looking forward to this one for awhile. I really enjoyed the first GW and I also played EQ2 for a few years and WoW for many years now. This was the biggest disappointment when it comes to an MMO for me. There was so much hype for this game, and it received very good reviews, so I even invested in the deluxe edition. But after a week of what felt like the same 5 quests over and over again trying to fully complete each map I turned it off and havent touched it sense. It's not an engaging MMO at all, same with all my buddies that were even more hyped than I was about it. We've all migrated back to WoW yet again.

But it is relatively cheap considering there's no subcription, so it doesn't hurt to look into it if you like MMO's, it just wasn't for me.

#25 Posted by bryjoered2007 (96 posts) -

See, Guild wars 2 is a great game from the leveling and questing perspective. Worlds ahead of WoW. It's combat is simpler, and more fluid, but I don't know if it is better. There is a true precision to the combat of games like WoW that really separate the good players from the bad, that I'm not sure guild wars has. The one major flaw and the reason why this game will not beat WoW is there is no end game raid progression, or pvp progression. Yes, you can endgame and complete hard dungeons when you are level 80, but there is no true gear progression in either pvp or pve when it comes to end game. Raiding and arena's at max level have always been the best part of WoW and GW2 simply does not have the equivalent. If GW2 had a raiding progression system it would be better, but it does not, so sadly it isn't.

#26 Posted by WiiMan21 (8185 posts) -

I'm still playing it, maybe not daily like I did orignially.

But I still dip into the game every other day or so. 

#27 Posted by xxxHeretic817xx (3 posts) -
Look, launch was freakin crazy busy. Starting areas were a total zerg fest. I was in an overflow server like every five mins. and that kinda sucked. Now low level zones are much less populated. I still find lots of people to play with. WvW always has lots of people on. I play almost every night. Still having fun still want to play tonight. I find plenty of strangers to run maps with, do dungeons, WvW. If you wanna play it. Go play it. I love it end of story. BTW. Never played WoW past the free trial. Pay a sub for any game that is less than jaw dropping awesome, no way. Never really been into any MMORPG really. Too many games too little time. For some reason this one keeps me coming back and even got me to come off a lil scratch for the cash shop. I like that I payed in because I wanted to and not because I NEEDED to. At any rate gettin my money worth and then some and still having fun. What better reason is there. Just my two cents.
#28 Posted by Chaud_1992 (197 posts) -

The cash shop in the game is not pay to win in any way, first of all every single item in the cash shop can be won/looted randomly from events/mobs, and it's either looks or very little boosts that work for no more than 45minutes, also anet has in-game gold-to-gems (which are the currency of the cash shop) so you can buy the gems using your gold in a legit way, which is keeping the economy balanced all the time, you won't find like in other games people charging 10$ worth of gems to sell it for crazy amounts of gold like other mmos, I've bought the game after they opened purchasing by 2minutes (was spamming F5 then it got crazy laggy from all people buying it), not once have I regret doing that

#29 Posted by LousShar (2290 posts) -

There's a free three day trial comin up tc, if you know anybody with the game ask for an invite.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Refer-a-Friend-Free-Trial-is-Coming

#30 Posted by Kane04 (2069 posts) -

See, Guild wars 2 is a great game from the leveling and questing perspective. Worlds ahead of WoW. It's combat is simpler, and more fluid, but I don't know if it is better. There is a true precision to the combat of games like WoW that really separate the good players from the bad, that I'm not sure guild wars has. The one major flaw and the reason why this game will not beat WoW is there is no end game raid progression, or pvp progression. Yes, you can endgame and complete hard dungeons when you are level 80, but there is no true gear progression in either pvp or pve when it comes to end game. Raiding and arena's at max level have always been the best part of WoW and GW2 simply does not have the equivalent. If GW2 had a raiding progression system it would be better, but it does not, so sadly it isn't.

bryjoered2007
This may sound stupid, but you care to elaborate? I never played WoW because when it came out I didn't have time or financial independence and now I just don't feel like it, but, I keep hearing that: "SWTOR has no end game content" "GW2 has no end game content" What exactly is end game content in WoW endless ever so slightly better gear? I never got to ask a friend that plays it because if he started talking he'd never shut up about it, but I think that's what it is right? And if its that, doesn't it mean you are doing the same thing over and over and over again? What's new in it and what's the appeal after all this years? At least in GW2 you can revisit areas and thanks to the lvl adjust still get some challenge, but better still you can enjoy the gorgeous art.
#31 Posted by xxxHeretic817xx (3 posts) -
Also, I would add the following. I have never used the cash shop out of need, just want and had a few bucks to blow. It is NOT pay to win and it sure beats a monthly. I play almost every night for an hour or two. Granted I have rolled several proffesions just to get a feel and have really two mains I go between (Ranger and Guardian). Because I bounce around a bit I still have yet to get one toon to lvl 80. I have only tried two dungeons in story mode have not tried the multi-path explore option for dungeon sets of gear, only about 50% of the way to map completion, barely scratched the surface of WvW, have not even tried PvP, only started to craft obviously not even to Mystic forge and legendary sets or what not, still want to level the other proffesions (they all seem fun), We have had one event, another is coming this month and next, Plus expansions are on the way along with a new class of weapons and more dungeons. If you get on the forums you would think it takes one week to see it all and then you stand around twiddling thumbs. For me there is still so much to do it's just daunting. It seems to me if you were two weeks in screaming no content then you must have an insane amount of time on your hands. Not bashing hardcore players but from where I sit it just dose not even seem possible. I have to sleep eat and work. Maybe I will feel different when I have a few lvl 80's and I spend 300+ hours in WvW but that is a while off for me and I expect expansions to be here by that time. So, I can't complain at all. Maybe I am alone on this. That is all.