I played TOR, I played TSW, bother with GW2?

#1 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

Both TOR and then TSW I was having ag reat time, liked the quests (TSW), liked the story (TOR), but in both cases, hitting level cap meant story and such came to a dead stop and the game became the usual dungeon mill on lockout normal->hard->NM/elite then raid . IOW, endgame I was sick of back in 2008 for the most part.

My question is, does GW2 break this trend? Regardless if the leveling process is fun or not, when you arrive art the cap or endgame, does GW2 change? If so, how?

I kind of assumed PvP was endgame, but with two modes (which look great), that seems too limited. I'm just tired and done with lockout/dailies grinds. Any innovation on this front from ArenaNet?

#2 Posted by Zipper761882 (588 posts) -
You need to understand that by removing the subscription fee, they no longer need the "carrot on a stick" approach to things like other mmo's do. A prime example: The fast travel system. Instead of paying for taxi's or gryphons, you simply open your map, click the waypoint(which are EVERYWHERE) you want to travel to, pay a tiny fee of ingame cash, and boom you are where you need to be. They can do this because unlike games like World of Warcraft, they don't need you coming back month after month paying a subscription fee, so alot of the useless stuff that was there just as "time filler" are removed from this game. What is left is by far the most streamlined mmorpg experience I have ever seen. Are there those that do not like this? Sure. For many, the old "carrot on a stick" approach is so ingrained into their gaming dna, that any other way is simply an abomination and will not be had. For me, I like both ways, and while I am currently playing GW2, I have no intention of cancelling my MoP preorder.
#3 Posted by Zipper761882 (588 posts) -
just want to add that the fast travel system works much like TES games of late, in which you need to first come across the waypoint and it will automatically be added to your map. They are not hard to find though as(mostly) everything is on the map by default, you just need to go there and do it.
#4 Posted by Zipper761882 (588 posts) -
Aso, GW2 has no traditional endgame to my knowledge, though I have yet to get a character past the teens as they are all so darn fun.
#5 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

Well, so far you describe a typical themepark MMO. I have been watching Kevin's stream and know quite a bit about the gameplay, but like I say, I'd like some insight on what happens at lvl 80. Thanks for the replies!

#6 Posted by NeoGen85 (4192 posts) -

Well, so far you describe a typical themepark MMO. I have been watching Kevin's stream and know quite a bit about the gameplay, but like I say, I'd like some insight on what happens at lvl 80. Thanks for the replies!

vishisluv7

Your question is answered in this video. There really isn't any traditional "end-game" content. Guild Wars 2 has many things incommon with previous MMORPGs. But it's definitely going to set a tone for a possible future and a new direction where the genre might be going. The incentive to keep playing the game after the level cap is much different than other MMORPGs. One thing is...you're not going to be doing huge raids(yet). Also, there's no carrot-on-a-stick that you're really chasing afterwards. Of course gaining currency, new weapons, accessories, and armor is fun. But because there's no subscription fee, grinding for these things isn't going to be a big problem or a huge incentive.

The core of Guild Wars 2 is playing together in a end game-like atmosphere all the time with the most streamlined system to date. At level 80 you'll be able to continue doing the 5-man dungeons with different difficulty settings, exploration, crafting, and a lot of other typical things found in themepark MMORPGs. But leveling up to the cap in Guild Wars 2 isn't as different as the end-game. Everything pretty much makes a full circle.

#8 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

Thank you for that link Neo, that answered my questions quite well.

#9 Posted by trueepower44 (67 posts) -

Guild Wars has a strong chance to be rated 9 or higher. Although, I believe it shines from a pvp perspective more than a raiding perspective (although, I haven't played enough to know for sure). WvWvW is very dynamic. I still need to play more in order to rate the game properly. There is no way this game gets a rating lower than an 8 from me (at least that is what I am sensing so far).

I don't beleive there is any way this game fails. I don't think its a WOW killer. I just believe it takes a positive step towards the no sub fee games of the future. Where you don't play the game to grind (and hand over your money). One of the small, but positive features of the game that I enjoy most so far is the map (plus exploring discovery points for exp). The graphics are very solid. Customization seems to be very good (although, I need more time to give a more accurate opinion). The game is very well thought out so far (towns feel active, features etc. are great). I would compare the game to DAOC plus Everquest. Which to me is a really really strong combination. Many will be satisfied with this game I believe.

#10 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

Well I'm sold. I hope to buy a copy soon as my move is finalized.

#11 Posted by NeoGen85 (4192 posts) -

Guild Wars has a strong chance to be rated 9 or higher. Although, I believe it shines from a pvp perspective more than a raiding perspective (although, I haven't played enough to know for sure). WvWvW is very dynamic. I still need to play more in order to rate the game properly. There is no way this game gets a rating lower than an 8 from me (at least that is what I am sensing so far).

I don't beleive there is any way this game fails. I don't think its a WOW killer. I just believe it takes a positive step towards the no sub fee games of the future. Where you don't play the game to grind (and hand over your money). One of the small, but positive features of the game that I enjoy most so far is the map (plus exploring discovery points for exp). The graphics are very solid. Customization seems to be very good (although, I need more time to give a more accurate opinion). The game is very well thought out so far (towns feel active, features etc. are great). I would compare the game to DAOC plus Everquest. Which to me is a really really strong combination. Many will be satisfied with this game I believe.

trueepower44

It is safe to say that Guild Wars 2 is by far the next best thing to World of Warcraft, if not it's own entity. Truthfully this has been a very solid year for MMORPG fans with the release of Secret World, Tera, and The Old Republic. All three giving players something new. But you can tell that ArenaNet did a lot of research on gamer's habits with MMORPGs and the market itself. That really shows in the quality of the game. It's the same thing Blizzard did prior to the release of World of Warcraft in 2004; I believe that's a big reason why it's so successful.