Guildwars wants us to pay for xp boosts

#1 Posted by NightLike (203 posts) -

This isnt suppose to be WOW or aion! And I played the betas, and there was parts where I was a bit ahead of my level without the use of an xp boost!!!!!

Basically you cannot rush threw the game without xp boosts, youll have to do a lot of other quests, and some grinding!

So anet lied... there WILL BE GRINDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iv payed 100's of dollars on ingame items, but ill never be such a loser to pay for an xp boost.. SCREW YOU!

#2 Posted by NightLike (203 posts) -
  • Oh and ontop of that, there is an option to buy dyes... which is great. ONE PROBLEM! There customized and are random drops!!... how cheap can you get anet!!????
  • Whats next... mounts? Yeah lets all buy mounts... because running on a friken sheperd dog wasnt fun enough the last 10 mmos..
#4 Posted by nathangray (10 posts) -

Level 46 Mesmer, 21 Elementalist, 14 Ranger and level 10 minimum of all other classes by end of the second beta weekend. That's less than a week of gameplay total. Not grinding, just playing, and crafting, and helping friends, and pvp'ing, and never used anything from the item mall.

Where is this grind you speak of?

#5 Posted by Mavlow (223 posts) -
how does any of this effect you guys at all...this is all totally optional...i do not plan on buying this at all either but if there are people who will buy it that will just further help dev costs of exapnsions That said when you are leveling your 3rd char or something you might change your mind on something like the xp boost...
#6 Posted by LousShar (2290 posts) -

No TC, just.....no....

#7 Posted by leepialong (471 posts) -

i can tell you didnt play in the beta or know much about gw2. XP boost doesnt really matter buz on any pvp every character boost to lv 80 and on pve, higher lv character de-level to current zone. not to mention, you can craft XP boost or trade ingame gold to Gem then use gem to buy xp boost. the level curve from 1-80 is kinda low flat ie: 40-41 should take about same time(not too long) from 79-80.

#8 Posted by NightLike (203 posts) -

i can tell you didnt play in the beta or know much about gw2. XP boost doesnt really matter buz on any pvp every character boost to lv 80 and on pve, higher lv character de-level to current zone. not to mention, you can craft XP boost or trade ingame gold to Gem then use gem to buy xp boost. the level curve from 1-80 is kinda low flat ie: 40-41 should take about same time(not too long) from 79-80.

leepialong

I had to grind because i was 10 in 14 area. And the storyline - not the game - was unbeatable by myself at that level and my profession. Not everyone likes to enjoy the game right away, some of us just want to get to the dungeons get sick. Then enjoy the game. Thats my playstyle

Iv played guild wars for 6 years, and speaking to alot of players in game. They agree. Only newcommers to this game would recommend such a foolish act. GW's level cap is 20, After that your leet on skills you aquire and runes on armor, eotn titles. how you angle your heros or in pvp what weapon sets you have and use.

Dropping that for a minute.....

I know develoupers worked hard on this game... but seriously they will make there money back... why stoop as low as making random dye package for ingame store - if you choose to buy.. "which people will" because getting black dye is a MUST for some people in GW. But why not make ingame merchants sell it again... its hardly a currency. And we know how rare of a dye that is. Im sorry.. its simply foolish

No one ever agrees with my ideas, not here, not on the gw official forum.. nowhere.. but at the end of the day "summoning stones" were created because i asked for them to be put in the game. Lame ursanway was taken out because i asked them too. Which then made uwsc which was way more leet. Ect... so agree with me or not. All im saying is anet has other means of making money. AND THEY KNOW IT! They dont need to sink this low

#9 Posted by tenshigetsu (3 posts) -
hrm. let's see ... lvl 10 in a lvl 14 area? simple. either go back and do some content you haven't done, or go explore another zone. i will agree, during the bwes they had some parts of personal stories which were un-soloable; hence, the beta events, which let us tell them, "hey, you may wanna tune this down some." IF you would read anything anet has put out, you'll see that they're actually striving to accommodate most players' playstyles, but they ARE excluding "endgame" grind. that means, my dear person, that there are no raids. there is no "bonus" to magically reaching level 80 before the rest of the playerbase, you've actually cut your own throat by doing that, because that means you haven't explored the intricate and beautiful world they've offered up. that's ok, see, that's your playstyle. but don't come on here screaming that they're not keeping their promises because they're not perfectly accommodating your particular playstyle (i.e., zergfest, rush through content, THEN have fun at max level). again, if you've read anything they've put out about this game, that is NOT going to be the impetus. so if that's what you want, you will wish to play a different game. as for the dye packs? pft. find something else to complain about. MOST of us are thrilled that there are around 400-some odd colors we get to play with, and since they've changed their stance on account-wide dyes ... well, if you have a color and get it again, stick it in your bank, and add it to an alt's collection. oh, wait, mr. must-hit-max-level -- i bet you don't roll alts, either, do you? go cry somewhere else.
#10 Posted by NightLike (203 posts) -

This is hardly crying, or Screaming. Im simply stating an opinion. And youv stated yours and i see some points youv made. Honestly i could care less about it in the scheme of events. But its worth complaining about, in the modest hopes of it being changed. Is it a deal breaker?? By no means... So do not missunderstand me. I wish it to be gone, and many others do. But its not worth crying over. Your right

#11 Posted by project343 (14106 posts) -

[QUOTE="leepialong"]

NightLike

I had to grind because i was 10 in 14 area. And the storyline - not the game - was unbeatable by myself at that level and my profession. Not everyone likes to enjoy the game right away, some of us just want to get to the dungeons get sick. Then enjoy the game. Thats my playstyle

Iv played guild wars for 6 years, and speaking to alot of players in game. They agree. Only newcommers to this game would recommend such a foolish act. GW's level cap is 20, After that your leet on skills you aquire and runes on armor, eotn titles. how you angle your heros or in pvp what weapon sets you have and use.

Dropping that for a minute.....

I know develoupers worked hard on this game... but seriously they will make there money back... why stoop as low as making random dye package for ingame store - if you choose to buy.. "which people will" because getting black dye is a MUST for some people in GW. But why not make ingame merchants sell it again... its hardly a currency. And we know how rare of a dye that is. Im sorry.. its simply foolish

No one ever agrees with my ideas, not here, not on the gw official forum.. nowhere.. but at the end of the day "summoning stones" were created because i asked for them to be put in the game. Lame ursanway was taken out because i asked them too. Which then made uwsc which was way more leet. Ect... so agree with me or not. All im saying is anet has other means of making money. AND THEY KNOW IT! They dont need to sink this low

You know that those dyes and XP boosts are found in the world as well, right? And you also know that you can trade in-game currency (gold) for gems and effectively purchase everything in that cash shop with your hard-earned gold, right? In either case, the game is about taking it slow and enjoying the experience. You were rushing. Personally, I had no issues outleveling my story content (there was a point where I was level 26 and still had my story back at ~level 10). The meat of the game's leveling experience is the event system (not the hearts, not the personal story)--and by their dynamic nature, these events aren't constantly happening. If you slow down some, you'll see more of them and skyrocket beyond the personal story content.
#12 Posted by Meteor7 (515 posts) -
First off, It isn't hard to level so far and these boosts + dyes can be obtained by drops? I don't see the big deal here... At least you aren't having to pay for stats or game breaking gear to compete. .
#13 Posted by Diamondsoulz (136 posts) -

Who cares.... I mean you rush to 80 and you are big nothing anyway.

#14 Posted by probo_ (2 posts) -

Players will be able to boost their crafting and magic find as well as experience gain, which means they will be able to get generally more powerful than other players by paying extra money. This is really terrible without any question and an obvious blow against the integrity of mmorpgs.

#15 Posted by shadowl (20 posts) -

With this info I might not get the game, if you have to pay for boosts what other things will they make you pay for. Can't get past a certain level until you pay x amount. Companys are just plain gettin greedy, you should be able to get xp boosts using in game gold that you earned by playing the game. Maybe have them be expensive and you can only use one a day week or how ever long it is for.

#16 Posted by Vaasman (11763 posts) -

Everything in the gem store can be found in the world or you can trade gems for gold at a rate of roughly 150 gems to 1 gold. In my experience with the beta I found 2 xp boosts and I never once used the gem store.

#17 Posted by RPGOmen (396 posts) -

There are dozens of ways to level in this game; when you're level 30 it even equals out so that the previous level is obtained in the same amount of time as the last if you conduct similar activities.

I got to level 55 last beta without even trying.  All I did was explore, craft (resource gathering as a part of it) and do whatever event showed up.  I completely avoided all Heart Karma Points and still outleveled nearly everything I came across (luckily it brings you to an entertaining level).

There are many people who reciprocate the feelings of the OP; the opposition resound that said people simply do not understand the exploration experience.  There are no quest hubs, there is no efficient mob grinding, there is simply playing the game and leveling through sheer entertainment and the joy of finding and doing new things.

Massive experiences comes in from simply gathering resources (which are instanced so no one can take your node), crafting, PvP, exploration, dungeon completion, event completion, and even karma acquisition among many other things.  The fact that one is incapable of being beyond the necessary level is therefore purely brought on by their own inexperience with how the game runs itself (I.E. people are still treating the genre like it's WoW, and not how games such as UO were).

Perhaps it would be best to cater to those who have trouble focusing on something or those who don't have patience... though this game ultimately has completed what it set out to do; it is up to the player to figure out how to exploit the systems to their best experience and rise up in the ranks at an incredibly high rate.

#18 Posted by Brewsir (19 posts) -

This isnt suppose to be WOW or aion! And I played the betas, and there was parts where I was a bit ahead of my level without the use of an xp boost!!!!!

There is a solution for that you know, simply go to another area your level.

Basically you cannot rush threw the game without xp boosts, youll have to do a lot of other quests, and some grinding!

Why would you want to "rush" through the game?Is there a special reward for the first person to 80?

So anet lied... there WILL BE GRINDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anet said "there will be no grinding", really? Link please.

Iv payed 100's of dollars on ingame items, but ill never be such a loser to pay for an xp boost.. SCREW YOU!

I got 4 XP boosters as rewards over the weekend, maybe more. Maybe you're just not very good.

NightLike

#19 Posted by Brewsir (19 posts) -

You know that those dyes and XP boosts are found in the world as well, right? And you also know that you can trade in-game currency (gold) for gems and effectively purchase everything in that cash shop with your hard-earned gold, right? In either case, the game is about taking it slow and enjoying the experience. You were rushing. Personally, I had no issues outleveling my story content (there was a point where I was level 26 and still had my story back at ~level 10). The meat of the game's leveling experience is the event system (not the hearts, not the personal story)--and by their dynamic nature, these events aren't constantly happening. If you slow down some, you'll see more of them and skyrocket beyond the personal story content.

And, you might mention, that outleveling your personal story is not a problem, since the game will downlevel you when you decide to get back into the story.

#20 Posted by Brewsir (19 posts) -

NightLike

Anet did not intend for people to just go instance to instance to instance etc. in the personal story. You do an instance or 2, and then do other things, then go back to it when you're at the appropriate level. It is NOT a Single player RPG, it's an MMO with an available Single Player storyline you can follow IF YOU CHOOSE.

#21 Posted by xeidog69 (1408 posts) -

With this info I might not get the game, if you have to pay for boosts what other things will they make you pay for. Can't get past a certain level until you pay x amount. Companys are just plain gettin greedy, you should be able to get xp boosts using in game gold that you earned by playing the game. Maybe have them be expensive and you can only use one a day week or how ever long it is for.

shadowl

Please do not misunderstand, the xp boost isnt like you click it and boom you get a huge instant chunk of EXP. no you use it and it gives you slightly better exp per kill, thing is kills dont give squat anyway and they only became useful during the beta weekends because sooo much content was off limits and after level 28 leveling became more difficult and if you are like me you get tired of repeating events.

So I resorted to using xp boost and kill grinding and doing daily's .. mine some nodes, cur down some trees, harvest some plants and then kill kill kill..Not because the game makes you grind but because being beta I was basically out of content. then lvl 30 came and BWE2 was upon us.. we now had a new area to explore for my level so killing stuff became fun again, doing events in Gandarren fields was fun and I even got some cool looking armor by level 32 and participated in the ascalon catacombs dungeon which was cool.

Fact is the game wasnt complete, content was blocked which is understandable because after lvl 35 everyone kind of gets drawn together and the real story starts.. yeah up to lvl 35 is basically just pre-searing.. its a large grandios pre-searing...remember being excited just to play pre-searing only to find out that wow the game is soo much better now .. I do...had no clue because I was a soloist.

Anyway the game is going to be much better come launch as content will be everywhere and if you slow your roll youll get to 35 in no time flat. then the game will gear you into pure awesomeness.

Also the xp boost and all other items really offer no advantage and can be bought by trading your in game gold for gems and then buying whatever crap it is that your into.. all of these items are also obtained by playing the game so it really does not matter.