Well, Carolyn Petit is reviewing the game.

#1 Posted by billlabowski (56 posts) -

Can't say we didn't try lol. (Source) https://twitter.com/carolynmichelle

#2 Posted by MooncalfReviews (1927 posts) -

As much as I defend her from the bigots who give her abuse, I don't honestly think she has the most unique or interesting voice, as a writer. Also, be prepared for a low score, because this isn't a mario game and you can't play as a woman.

#3 Posted by TAGGER_SK8ER101 (1866 posts) -
This is why I review games for my damn self, lol.
#4 Posted by Synonymous (0 posts) -
Oh, my stars and garters, a _woman_ is reviewing the game. How will this game I've never even played get the 10 I absolutely know it deserves? I can feel my very manhood *shrinking* at the mere *thought* of it.
#5 Posted by jcopp72 (5344 posts) -
gamespot currently has the lowest score for GTA V on metacritic with a 90
#6 Posted by Vozlov (1508 posts) -

They are trying for a review that doesn't split the sites audience down the middle and cause an endless backlash from either haters or fanboys.

They have a woman reviewing whos favourite type of games are fantasy games. Get the **** over it, this isn't an important part of your life in any-way-what-so-ever.

#8 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18415 posts) -
I could care less for her gender, but her reviews are terrible.
#10 Posted by Darkshark101 (0 posts) -
or hers....
#11 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4940 posts) -

I can't believe the resentment towards a woman writer on here. Well, I guess I do believe it it is just disappointing. She flagged the game for being harsh on women and anyone who denies that GTA presents most female characters as nothing more than objects for the male characters is walking on a slippery slope. It does have a very bad portrayal of women no matter if one or two characters have strength and buck that trend.

Its disappointing because Rockstar made some strong females in RDR but refuse to give their female GTA characters that much content and depth

#12 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
Very few games in general though treat women in it with respect or more than eye candy. There are more and more female gamers, but it's still pretty heavily male.
#13 Posted by Mauras2013 (0 posts) -
GTA VI is already in the works: - It will feature 4! female characters and 1 male character. - The male character will be gay, best friend of all the 4 female characters thus adressing a recent GTA5 review that scores 7/10 due to the homophobic nature of the GTA series and it's lack of gay characters. - The plot will take place in a 4 story, open 24h a day, huge sandbox of the size of all the previous GTA maps combined called "Saint Mall". - Despite friends the 4 female characters will present a huge challenge for the player: you will have to keep them from shooting eachother over work, money, family and ultimately men issues. The gay character will be instrumental in reaching these goals. - Online version will cover new game modes like "Loboutin Store Sale Heist", "Hunt for the married man", "Sale Races" and "I'll have your boyfriend in 1 week deatmatch". Details are still a secret. - Characters will have 3 extra individual characteristics you can develop and most of all control: "depression", "hysteria" and "paranoia". - GTA VI naming is still a mistery but leaked info mentions "GTA Sex in the City" as a strong possibillity. I can see a 10/10 coming in Gamespot.
#16 Posted by M_r_Orange (6 posts) -

GTA VI is already in the works: - It will feature 4! female characters and 1 male character. - The male character will be gay, best friend of all the 4 female characters thus adressing a recent GTA5 review that scores 7/10 due to the homophobic nature of the GTA series and it's lack of gay characters. - The plot will take place in a 4 story, open 24h a day, huge sandbox of the size of all the previous GTA maps combined called "Saint Mall". - Despite friends the 4 female characters will present a huge challenge for the player: you will have to keep them from shooting eachother over work, money, family and ultimately men issues. The gay character will be instrumental in reaching these goals. - Online version will cover new game modes like "Loboutin Store Sale Heist", "Hunt for the married man", "Sale Races" and "I'll have your boyfriend in 1 week deatmatch". Details are still a secret. - Characters will have 3 extra individual characteristics you can develop and most of all control: "depression", "hysteria" and "paranoia". - GTA VI naming is still a mistery but leaked info mentions "GTA Sex in the City" as a strong possibillity. I can see a 10/10 coming in Gamespot.Mauras2013

Please never stop posting, I literally burst out laughing the whole way through this.

#17 Posted by Mauras2013 (0 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mauras2013"]GTA VI is already in the works: - It will feature 4! female characters and 1 male character. - The male character will be gay, best friend of all the 4 female characters thus adressing a recent GTA5 review that scores 7/10 due to the homophobic nature of the GTA series and it's lack of gay characters. - The plot will take place in a 4 story, open 24h a day, huge sandbox of the size of all the previous GTA maps combined called "Saint Mall". - Despite friends the 4 female characters will present a huge challenge for the player: you will have to keep them from shooting eachother over work, money, family and ultimately men issues. The gay character will be instrumental in reaching these goals. - Online version will cover new game modes like "Loboutin Store Sale Heist", "Hunt for the married man", "Sale Races" and "I'll have your boyfriend in 1 week deatmatch". Details are still a secret. - Characters will have 3 extra individual characteristics you can develop and most of all control: "depression", "hysteria" and "paranoia". - GTA VI naming is still a mistery but leaked info mentions "GTA Sex in the City" as a strong possibillity. I can see a 10/10 coming in Gamespot.M_r_Orange

Please never stop posting, I literally burst out laughing the whole way through this.

Surely Clint. I'll be back as soon as i lay my hands on GTA YMCA, the misterious unsorted codename for what the industry suspects to be GTA VII, a project sources believe to be heavely incluenced by the latest trends and lobbies in the western world.
#18 Posted by rvd42387 (1 posts) -

Well a 9 is a great score, but I honestly feel that she let her personal opinions overtake her objective reasoning and for that reason it lost a little bit of score, and if i journalist cant seperate her personal agends from her objective outlook, then that journalist doesnt deserve to be a journalist plain and simple, when your biggest flaw is how misogenistic and politically incorrect something is  that shows a major lack of being objective

#19 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4940 posts) -

Well a 9 is a great score, but I honestly feel that she let her personal opinions overtake her objective reasoning and for that reason it lost a little bit of score, and if i journalist cant seperate her personal agends from her objective outlook, then that journalist doesnt deserve to be a journalist plain and simple, when your biggest flaw is how misogenistic and politically incorrect something is  that shows a major lack of being objective

rvd42387

No, that isn't how it works. In all other forms of media, films tv and books critics are very vocal about how themes like that take away from the experience. The sexism in a game can **** well be part of the objective reasoning for reviewing it.

#20 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4940 posts) -

GTA VI is already in the works: - It will feature 4! female characters and 1 male character. - The male character will be gay, best friend of all the 4 female characters thus adressing a recent GTA5 review that scores 7/10 due to the homophobic nature of the GTA series and it's lack of gay characters. - The plot will take place in a 4 story, open 24h a day, huge sandbox of the size of all the previous GTA maps combined called "Saint Mall". - Despite friends the 4 female characters will present a huge challenge for the player: you will have to keep them from shooting eachother over work, money, family and ultimately men issues. The gay character will be instrumental in reaching these goals. - Online version will cover new game modes like "Loboutin Store Sale Heist", "Hunt for the married man", "Sale Races" and "I'll have your boyfriend in 1 week deatmatch". Details are still a secret. - Characters will have 3 extra individual characteristics you can develop and most of all control: "depression", "hysteria" and "paranoia". - GTA VI naming is still a mistery but leaked info mentions "GTA Sex in the City" as a strong possibillity. I can see a 10/10 coming in Gamespot.Mauras2013

Way to be sexist. Could have been a funny rant aside from this debate if you had included something that showed more than a passing interest in things that are typically stereotyped as "girl stuff" as your Sex in the City referene is incredibly dated.

#21 Posted by Yatsukiii (9 posts) -

Gamespot:  "Oh look, a game that is literraly known around the world for its racism, sexism, and crude humor......let's have a person that is easily offended by these things review the game.    BRILLIANT IDEA.

#22 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19510 posts) -

What's done is done really. It would be a waste of time to bitch over a review, a reviewer's opinion or reviewer that you don't like. ;)

P.S. Doing that last bit is likely to get your site privileges revoked, if you are not careful with your use of words.

P.P.S. I am surprised you even care who reviews the game at GameSpot, billlabowski.

#23 Posted by refusedairwaves (289 posts) -

I can't believe the resentment towards a woman writer on here. Well, I guess I do believe it it is just disappointing. She flagged the game for being harsh on women and anyone who denies that GTA presents most female characters as nothing more than objects for the male characters is walking on a slippery slope. It does have a very bad portrayal of women no matter if one or two characters have strength and buck that trend.

Its disappointing because Rockstar made some strong females in RDR but refuse to give their female GTA characters that much content and depth

bonesawisready5

Do you not understand satire? Raockstar wasn't trying to be misogynystic on purpose, but the fact is that there's a lot of misogyny present in our society whether we like it or not. The way they protrayed women isn't necessarily too far off the mark. The rest is meant to be tounge in cheek. And why focus only on gender stereotypes? Why didn't the reviewer comlain about the way black people who live in the hood are portrayed? We heard the boohs and cries when San Andreas came out about how GTA reinforced ghetto stereotypes but no one gave a crap. Because guess what? Hoods do act and dress similar to the way they do in the game. Are you going to complain about the way Lamar was stereotyped in the game because he moped around with a Rottweiler? Black people do tend to own Rottwilers, (and pitbulls too.), (and they say ni*** alot). 

#24 Posted by GD-1369211121 (4086 posts) -

bonesawisready5
Well, it is GTA after all. Haven't we come to expect that?
#25 Posted by Snailgoop (0 posts) -

bonesawisready5
Before I buy a game (and I love FPS), as a female gamer I like to research whether or not it's sexist. I've played too many games where I paid $60.00 for it, only to feel insulted constantly while I play, which ruins the experience for me. Now because of that, I research games before I buy them, so this kind of review is very relevant to me as a female gamer. This is exactly the kind of thing I want to know and the score should be affected by it, in my opinion. The sad thing is, I really, really want to play GTA V but because I don't want to subject myself to misogyny, I'll have to skip it. I play games to relax and escape the stresses of my real life, not to psychologically endure repetitive messages that I am "less than" because I'm a woman.
#26 Posted by Snailgoop (0 posts) -

Gamespot:  "Oh look, a game that is literraly known around the world for its racism, sexism, and crude humor......let's have a person that is easily offended by these things review the game.    BRILLIANT IDEA.

Yatsukiii
Actually... it is a good idea. Employing writers who are insensitive to issues just produces the same patterns in reviews, nothing fresh or new as far as perspective is concerned.
#27 Posted by Snailgoop (0 posts) -

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

refusedairwaves

Do you not understand satire? Raockstar wasn't trying to be misogynystic on purpose, but the fact is that there's a lot of misogyny present in our society whether we like it or not. The way they protrayed women isn't necessarily too far off the mark. The rest is meant to be tounge in cheek. And why focus only on gender stereotypes? Why didn't the reviewer comlain about the way black people who live in the hood are portrayed? We heard the boohs and cries when San Andreas came out about how GTA reinforced ghetto stereotypes but no one gave a crap. Because guess what? Hoods do act and dress similar to the way they do in the game. Are you going to complain about the way Lamar was stereotyped in the game because he moped around with a Rottweiler? Black people do tend to own Rottwilers, (and pitbulls too.), (and they say ni*** alot). 

I can't comment on her review until I play the game but I will give her the benefit of the doubt that GTA 5's portrayal of women doesn't qualify as satire but blatant sexism. Satire makes fun of something in order to illuminate what's wrong with it. If this game allowed female leads and gave all the same opportunities as the male leads, it would be different. The idea that the game is a "male centric story" is a the first knee-jerk excuse game devs give to anyone who accuses them of misogyny and alienation of female gamers. Every single time, "It's a male centric story" gets these devs off the hook. It's about time that excuse doesn't work.
#29 Posted by davidsworld3 (3042 posts) -

Ouch!

#31 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19510 posts) -

Actually... it is a good idea. Employing writers who are insensitive to issues just produces the same patterns in reviews, nothing fresh or new as far as perspective is concerned.Snailgoop

I agree too. Stoic reviews are a dime a dozen really - I find them boring.