Map Size question

#1 Posted by DamnILoveGames (139 posts) -
I still don't get it. Are Rockstar saying it's as big as San Andreas, IV, and Red Dead Redemption combined? Only that's pretty freaking immense. Though I question the massive jump from GTA IV's map to this, it seems feasible after seeing Just Cause 2.
#2 Posted by kbcustomz (115 posts) -

yep

#3 Posted by damaccj5 (1869 posts) -
I was playing SA today and its hard to believe that it could fit in V's map. Even by today's standards, SA's map is pretty big. I don't think I'm exactly comprehending how big V will be.
#4 Posted by AllahWHOAkbar (30 posts) -

The developers were considering air space in one of the feature articles I read. they wanted the world to have enough room to comfortably fly in. This means that flying will be a very integral part to game play.

#5 Posted by WarhawK-harris (903 posts) -

They said the map would be bigger than SA, GTA4, and RDR combined. This image should give a sense of scale.

http://gamesvib.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/gta-v-concept-map.png

Personally, I've got no problems with a map this big. If it gives me an insane variety of activities and places to explore between missions, it will be worth the price of a fatter hardrive on my 360. :cool:

#6 Posted by Legatus_Victix (138 posts) -
Thats kinda pushing it. If I recall, nothing was more frustrating in San Andreas than flying into trees and buildings that just appeared out of nowhere.
#7 Posted by WarhawK-harris (903 posts) -

Thats kinda pushing it. If I recall, nothing was more frustrating in San Andreas than flying into trees and buildings that just appeared out of nowhere.Legatus_Victix
That's because the Hydra flew so fast that the graphics engine had trouble keeping up.  But V runs under a completely different engine so that problem should be ironed out before launch.  I think R* is smart enough to learn from the bugs in previous games.

#8 Posted by Legatus_Victix (138 posts) -
I just can't imagine a game of that size. I dont believe Skyrim is even that large. Hats off to Rockstar.
#9 Posted by 36Ounces (2065 posts) -

Wish there was a list somewhere with the largest game worlds. This game would have to be near the top.

#11 Posted by The5thFan (1633 posts) -

Wish there was a list somewhere with the largest game worlds. This game would have to be near the top.

36Ounces
the elder scrolls 2: daggerfall i do believe wins "Bethesda claims that the scale of the game is equal to twice the size of Great Britain:[3] around 487,000 square kilometers. The game world features over 15,000 towns, cities, villages, and dungeons for the player's character to explore" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_II:_Daggerfall thats a massive game and i personal feel that gta v's map will be close to just cause 2 (which was ridiculious i might add) but i thought the vechiles in that game were too slow to get around and gta's car will deffintly be faster and get around the map quicker. also just cause was mostly just forest while this game will be mostly city and have some country side
#12 Posted by 36Ounces (2065 posts) -

If it's big as Just Cause 2, would be dope. Game is massive.