Read this to save $20 *spoilers*

#1 Posted by theaznfish (537 posts) -

Your character is Kaitlin Greenbriar- you enter your home after coming back on a yearlong trip abroad.  The home was acquired after your great uncle died and left all his possessions to your father.  Your parents aren't home because they're actually on an anniversary trip.  Your father is a writer [specifically about JFK] but stopped because despite good reviews, he had poor sales.  Eventually you learn a new publisher wants to sell his books under a different name.   Your dad is happy.

You have a sister named Sam(antha) who meets a lesbian, army-wannabe tomboy named Lonnie who is interested in seeing the "psycho house" but is in actuality interested in being with Sam.  They eventually fall in love but keep it secret.  Sam is preparing to go to college but Lonnie says she's shipping out soon and they spend the night together and realized they can't live without each other.  The next day, Lonnie pussies out of going to the army, Sam runs away from home, they elope.  THE END

Congratulations, you now know the entire plotline of Gone Home.  That took 5 minutes to type- 1 hr to play and it's NOT worth $20.  The obvious reason why it scored so high was for the lesbian relationship.  There is no uniqueness to this game, nor does it warrant anything close to a 9-9.5.  The reason it's scoring so low amongst gamers is the deceptive and non-informative reviews nearly all "credible sites" are giving whilst giving a ridiculously high rating, the lack of any challenges (no puzzles no enemies), and length of game [1-2 hours (2 is really stretching it)].  This isn't a game by any stretch, just a drawn out house simulation.  The only site that seems credible now is Eurogamer.  (6/10)

#2 Posted by lordcynico (7 posts) -
I really wish I'd read this excellent post before I paid for the game. It's worth $5 max. Gamespot needs to apologize for their substandard review.
#3 Posted by Diablo-B (4022 posts) -

You sir just saved me $20

Faith In Humanity +1

#4 Posted by Fnarget (0 posts) -
It's interesting to see that you completely missed the bit about the parents not actually being at an anniversary trip. If you pick up on the hints you will find that they are actually at a marriage counseling retreat because the mother had some kind of affair with "Rick".
#5 Posted by couly (5802 posts) -
[QUOTE="Fnarget"]It's interesting to see that you completely missed the bit about the parents not actually being at an anniversary trip. If you pick up on the hints you will find that they are actually at a marriage counseling retreat because the mother had some kind of affair with "Rick".

I knew that but still not worth $20 !
#6 Posted by Erebus2509 (0 posts) -
[QUOTE="Fnarget"]It's interesting to see that you completely missed the bit about the parents not actually being at an anniversary trip. If you pick up on the hints you will find that they are actually at a marriage counseling retreat because the mother had some kind of affair with "Rick".

are you sure, cause rick got married
#7 Posted by Fnarget (0 posts) -
The way I understood it is that it happened a while back, she (the mother) told the father and they are trying to patch things up again. Rick on the other hand moved on and as you say is getting married. You can find the folder about the retreat in the gardening room and some notes about the affair near the kitchen.
#8 Posted by ColonelBauer (337 posts) -

I watched a complete walk through of this game and was disappointed. I agree that its worth $5 bucks at best. I kept expecting something to jump out of the darkness especially in that dark area in the basement. There were loose ends that might possibly lead to a sequel like will something happen in Salem to these two girls involving witchcraft? What came of the symbol in the attic involving Oscar if anything? Over all though it was an interesting story told via a game play mechanic.