Just returned this game...If you liked Gears 3 don't waste your money.

#1 Posted by bjuli002 (154 posts) -

I assumed this being a Gears game that it would play like, have an epic campaign, and satisfying multiplayer experience like Gears 1, 2, and 3. In short I was so dissapointed that I took it back within 48hrs. If you're a fan boy stop reading now, its not worth your time. 

I have played and tremendously enjoyed each of the other games in the series. I've gotten countless hours of gameplay out of the online multi-player which is, for me, what made this game stand out in the first place with Gears 1 and continuing through to the third installment. I mean each of the other three were improvements over the next. Judgement however, is too much of a variation on the successful formula. I was so dissapointed to find out that they changed the controls (no more D-pad weapon select), limit your starting weapons (no more rifle plus choice of shot gun), take away downs, and pretty much eliminate exectuions all together. Doing that you're left with just another 3rd person shooter. The 7.5 it got on the review was being generous. I give it a 6 at best. 

#2 Posted by Da-Ruler (889 posts) -
You've clearly over looked all the great stuff they have added into the game. Yes there is no more executions in MP, well there is if you have a lance and manage to chainsaw someone. The campaign has been improved by adding the addition of Declassified Missions, as well as making Insane difficulty a little bit more harder. And with the staring system being added into the game, so you can track how well you are doing. I'd prefer the weapon button change layout, Holding the D-Pad was a bit of a bore for me so being able to instantly switch weapons with Y is a great thing for me. I ain't really a big fan of the MP on Gears except in this one. I love domination, so I am glad to see it in the game. My only bad thing about it is that they have took Horde out and put in a new Survival mode with classes you can't really mix and match with.
#3 Posted by Yamakoichi (318 posts) -
I am a Gears of War fanboy since 1 and I have liked every step forward. Judgment.... urgh I think EVERYONE is too generous with their reviews, 5 is average, this game is below average so I gave it a 4. The campaign is splended, it was everything I could hope for an improved Gears of War 3. Then came multiplayer, a completely awful hack attempt to seemingly copy a Gears of War game. It was simply awful, I would suggest to anyone who is a fan just to rent the game rather than buy it, you will just waste your money. The shameful thing is they could fix the multiplayer but making it play like the campaign. Welcome to Gnashers of War, a game designed at Gears....Gnasher Fans, to punish everyone who does not enjoy blinding running around a map with a Gnasher with our great new Pro Gnasher features, that take away even the skill that the game use to have for Gnasher duels: -No stopping power on rifles -All CQC maps -Hipfire crosshairs -Auto Ammo Pick up -No DBNO -2-piecing -So little health all shots fire like an active round -no grenade plants
#4 Posted by aguywithacomp (2 posts) -

Couldn't agree more. Multiplayer is useless. Worse than useless, it's offensive. They took everything good about Gears multiplayer and tossed it out. I dont even need to go further than no DBNO or executions. Returning my copy asap. See you in a few Gears 3.

#5 Posted by Subcelsious (344 posts) -

i just returned mine too. I traded it in for Arkham City and Res Evil 6 and don't miss it or regret it. The lag is ridiculous and the two-piecing takes the skill right out of the game. Weapon and armor skins look horrid and are a waste of $. I'm going back to Gears 3 , sorry i tryed to defend this game at first but see it for what it is, i'm not wasting my money and time on a game that has no competitive edge and is utterly frustrating.

#6 Posted by XxSwiftyxX (379 posts) -

They added execution today.

#7 Posted by TheRaiderNation (1653 posts) -

I am a Gears of War fan, the 2nd game being my favorite in the series, and I actually have enjoyed judgment. 

The single player campaigns have much more or an arcade feel to them, but I really loved the modifiers and liked the new emphasis on scoring/star collecting for each section. Playing through on hardcore with modifiers def offers a good challenge. Sure the epic nature of the previous campaigns is not there, but I have gone back and replayed the campaign both single player and Co-op more than I did in the previous games already.

Survival mode just makes more sense then horde mode. Class specific characters and only 10 waves suits the mode better. The problem I always had with horde mode in the past is friends and random players would always drop out around wave 25 - 30 so I never really got to finish the mode on different maps. While 10 waves doesn't seem like a lot on the service, they are longer than waves in the previous horde modes and actually works out perfect both pacing and time wise.

Competetive MP is more of the same except for overrun mode, but the tweaks they made have improved it a little.

Overall, sure its not the best game in the series, but I am having my fun with it.

#8 Posted by bjuli002 (154 posts) -

They added execution today.

XxSwiftyxX

Added executions or not, its still horrible.

And I completely agree with the following post...

"i just returned mine too. I traded it in for Arkham City and Res Evil 6 and don't miss it or regret it. The lag is ridiculous and the two-piecing takes the skill right out of the game. Weapon and armor skins look horrid and are a waste of $. I'm going back to Gears 3 , sorry i tryed to defend this game at first but see it for what it is, i'm not wasting my money and time on a game that has no competitive edge and is utterly frustrating."

I'm still surprised people are buying this game because all of the real GOW fans are back to Gears 3.

#9 Posted by Scardelli1 (10 posts) -
Funny how this game is getting sh*t on endlessly for trying a few new ideas yet Gear 2 was an absolute mess of glitches yet it gets endless free passes from the community.