Your Favorite Series? Gears of War or Halo? -POLL-

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by insane_metalist (5862 posts) -

I was just wondering.. what series you can't/couldn't stop playing for years. What exactly do you love about the series? Also, what are your dislikes about the series?

Gears - Personally, I love Gears of War series. Since day one when Gears of War first came out.. I remember the exact day, I first started playing Gears of War, I was absolutely blown away! I was very impressed with NextGen. But most of all.. I loved TPS, I loved the style of the game and online was tons of fun for many, many years! I thought, Gears of War 2 was kind of disappointing and multiplayer just didn't feel right. But Gears of War 3 made it all better! I like the story, I LOVE the chainsaw and I still can NOT stop playing Horde mode! I am pretty excited about Gears of War Judgment!

Halo - I never owned an original xbox, I've always owned a PS2 so.. I never really got big on Halo. Although, when I bought my 360.. I thought, I would give it a try. At first.. I liked it quiet a bit! I even played Original Halo to catch up with the story. I thought, it was pretty unique. I continued with the series when Halo 3 came out. I got into multiplayer quiet a bit but after about 4 months, I got bored with it and I went back to playing Gears. After Halo 3.. I didn't bother buying anymore Halo games. I did get to play all of them since my friend is a major Halo fanatic. I thought, they were alright but not enough to keep me coming back for more. I didn't buy Halo 4, I played it quiet a bit at my friend's. I could not get into multiplayer at all.. although, I do enjoy the story a lot!

Overall - I am not trying to offend anybody in any way. In my opinion both are a solid series.. but I do enjoy Gears of War a lot more and am still very addicted to Horde mode :)

#2 Posted by kai_311 (444 posts) -

I like them both.

Gears for its SP. Played all three games including the PC version. I haven't really got into its MP just because I prefer FPS.

Owned all Halo games including the PC version, except Anniversary. Its what brought me back to console gaming on the original xbox since my old famicom. Never really like Reach its the reason I play COD instead. Trying to reach Prestige Master on Black Ops 2 so I can leave this torturous game and go back to Halo 4.

#3 Posted by MentatAssassin (3007 posts) -

I've been playing Halo for a decade now and it still remains my favorite game series. I like GoW but have not been all that enthusiastic about it for a long time. I'm hoping that will change once I start playing 3 but who knows.

#4 Posted by sukraj (21660 posts) -

Far Cry Series

#5 Posted by funsohng (27456 posts) -
I only started Halo this year around like April (that's when I got my 360 and Halo CE Anniversary). I'm at the last mission in Halo 3 and have ODST and Reach left. I have all the Gears too, but I only finished Gears 1 back in my friend's place with co-op. That was like 5-6 years ago. I barely finished Act 1 in Gears 1, and trying to get my first Berserker. So far, Halo for sure. Halo 2 had bad campaign, but I think CE and 3 more than make up for it. CE has that classic fun, and 3 is just amazing all around. Other than Cortana level, I love every bit of Halo 3 so far. If 3 keeps up till the ending credits, I have no doubt that this will be one of my favourite shooters of this gen. And ODST and Reach doesn't have Flood. Already loving them just because of that. I don't play multiplayer, so can't comment on that.
#6 Posted by BiThBhE0 (1643 posts) -
Definitely Gears. I've played Halo 3 and Reach but I just couldn't get in them. I don't like the story or the multiplayer. Been playing Gears since the first came out. Don't care for the story all that much but love the multiplayer.
#7 Posted by brimmul777 (1061 posts) -

Halo.Not a big Gears of War fan.But I just might pick up Gears of War:Judgement.

#8 Posted by Legendaryscmt (12532 posts) -

I'd say Halo by a tiny bit, though both franchises are fantastic to me. Halo just has that charm and nostalgia factor from CE.

#9 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

From those two - Gears of War!

#10 Posted by Blueresident87 (5195 posts) -

I didn't choose, I like them both.

#11 Posted by mrgab (23300 posts) -
Out of those two, Gears of War without a doubt. Halo had it moments, but lost interest in it. Gears might be heading that way though.
#12 Posted by MarcRecon (5403 posts) -

GEEEEEARS!!!!! It's the main reason I own a 360, but Halo is still a solid series.:)

#13 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6194 posts) -

Prefer Gears to Halo but Fallout is my favorite series.

#14 Posted by Cyanide4Suicid3 (783 posts) -
I like them both but I like Gears more. Halo 1 was amazing, Halo 2 was pretty good, but Halo 3 took a dive and it didnt stop until 343 got ahold of it. Sure, some things couldve been better but I really did LOVE Halo 4. Ask me again in a few years once 343's trilogy is concluded and I'll probably end up saying Halo if 343 pulls it off.
#15 Posted by zombehhhhh (452 posts) -

Halo's my favorite FPS series. I love Gears because the story is cool and the gameplay is awesome but Halo is just too epic.

#16 Posted by CreatureRising (1530 posts) -

Gears of War was the game that made me finally get Xbox live.

#17 Posted by mjf249 (2837 posts) -
That's a tough one I'd probably give Gears a slight edge. Epic I think has created a awesome background on the universe of Gears, with awesome voice acting and characters. I however enjoy MP on Halo a bit more though.
#18 Posted by Megavideogamer (5246 posts) -

Tough on e for Me. I have all of the Gears of War games plus the Xbox 360 S limited edition 320GB Gears of war console. But I also have all of the Halo Games.

So given that I shelled out for the Gears of War 3 limited edition console. That makes Gears of War my favorite series on Xbox 360 by a very tiny margin over the Halo series. Both are excellent Science fiction shooters.

#19 Posted by insane_metalist (5862 posts) -

Almost even, huh? Glad to see some people enjoy Gears of War as much as I do. If anyone is ever interested doing 2 - 4 player co-op then holla at me. I'm down to stomp some skulls.

#20 Posted by MercenaryMafia (2917 posts) -
Halo. Gears is getting old.
#21 Posted by bathhouswirral (12 posts) -

My favorite is Gears of War. I am adict of this game. I love to play it again and again.

#23 Posted by Dexter-010 (508 posts) -
I like them both both. After HALO 3 I didn't play any HALO game (except ODST) anymore. Can't get into the game because I like the first two parts to much. Maybe that I'll buy HALO 4 soon or later.
#24 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (2737 posts) -
GoW
#25 Posted by insane_metalist (5862 posts) -

Of the two I would take Halo as a series. I just think all of the games have been consistently good and you knew what you were getting everytime you bought a Halo game. That being said, my favorite game in either series is Gears of War 1. It's amazing.

white_sox

Gears of War 1 hands down! To this date, my favorite game!

#26 Posted by CTR360 (6870 posts) -
i love both series i prefer HALO series
#27 Posted by MissPeanut (544 posts) -
Played both series, Gears was the better overall experience.
#28 Posted by Patrickbrown56 (887 posts) -

If comparing the two, I'd vote for Halo.

However, I voted for "Other" because I think there a much better series out there than GoW or Halo, i.e. Bioshock, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Assassin's Creed, and many others. Hell, I even like the MP on CoD or Battlefield more than those two. If I want a great campaign, neither of those series would be my first choice for a series, and they wouldn't be my first choice for MP either.

#29 Posted by Dumblewis (11 posts) -

Halo because its legendary without it no xbox which would make me sad:cry:

#30 Posted by Granny_Spanked (1326 posts) -
There would be no gears without halo. But i perfer fable
#31 Posted by Junior_AIN (4552 posts) -
I've never played Halo so Gears for me.
#32 Posted by Saedius_Asicion (72 posts) -
I enjoy Halo more than most other shooters and I have dabbled in a lot of the popular ones. I believe that if it weren't for Halo 2 online multiplayer would not be what it is today. I feel like Halo was an extremely competitive game before Reach. As soon as they introduced progressive ranks and got rid of the competitive ranking I think it lost a lot of its allure. Something about grinding for that next rank and possibly losing it made the game last a lot longer than simply climbing in rank by playing a lot.
#33 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

I could never really see what was the whole deal with Gears- it just wasn't fun to me.

My vote goes for Halo- Combat Evolved was the main game that got me into gaming. Some of my best gaming experiences also came from Halo 3 and Halo:Reach.

#34 Posted by The_Joker1721 (285 posts) -
I, For some reason owned a couple of Xbox games even though I didn't have one so when I finally did get one first game I played was Halo 3. Man that game is amazing which led to regret never owning the first Xbox. Feels bad man. So it's definitely my favorite Franchise.
#35 Posted by badlalo59 (899 posts) -

Halo by far. I like the gameplay and story better.

#36 Posted by JDWolfie (1843 posts) -

Halo. I barely finished Gears 1. Gameplay was so repetitive.

#37 Posted by destinhpark (4700 posts) -

Halo by a LONGshot. 

#38 Posted by insane_metalist (5862 posts) -

JDWolfie

Halo gameplay isn't repetitive? Wooooooooooooooow!

#39 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69172 posts) -
i don't like either to be honest
#40 Posted by BoSnerdly (172 posts) -

Gears all the way. Gears is a little awkward gameplay-wise, but the style, the world, the storylines, and the characters are so deep, and that's what really hooks me. BTW, if you haven't read the Gears books by Karen Traviss, I highly recommend them!! The gameplay in Halo is amazing, but the world is just so extremely blah to me, and that kinda ruins my experience.

#41 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10101 posts) -
I just got into Halo as I bought my 360 last December, but Halo is one of the best gaming franchises around, so Halo :P
#42 Posted by AMG (16 posts) -
I'm a fan of both, but Gears is overall more enjoyable.
#43 Posted by shaunchgo (4605 posts) -
They're ok. I enjoyed the first Gear. When it comes to shooters, my favorite series so far this gen is Rainbow Six.
#44 Posted by takspeed (219 posts) -

GOW reigns over Halo for me.  When I got my first copy of gears for the pc (waaay back when it first came out) I was instantly hooked- it had all the excellent elements in a game I was looking for such as solid gameplay, interesting story, and memorable characters.  For a some reason the halo series didnt leave me with that thrilling feeling gow left me I with and I ended my halo collection at the third game.

#45 Posted by JDWolfie (1843 posts) -

[QUOTE="JDWolfie"]

insane_metalist

I feel that Gears is very linear. Halo has vehicles, power-ups, etc.
#46 Posted by conmbo2 (91 posts) -

Both those games are boring. Mass Effect is the best series on the xbox for all platforms , Metal Gear Series , Uncharted , Walking Dead , Max payne :)

#47 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18330 posts) -

Far Cry Series

sukraj
Far Cry series is way better than Gears or Halo.
#48 Posted by sdouglas2 (4 posts) -
Halo is without doubt my favorite series, excellent quality graphics, story and soundtrack score of 10!! --------------------------------- Toxicologia Toxicologia GHS GHS
#49 Posted by insane_metalist (5862 posts) -

[QUOTE="insane_metalist"]

[QUOTE="JDWolfie"]

JDWolfie

I feel that Gears is very linear. Halo has vehicles, power-ups, etc.

Gears doesn't need vehicles for MP. Maps aren't that big and it's a complete different style.

#50 Posted by Branmuffin316 (1200 posts) -

Of those Halo. Gears 3 was one of the most boring games I've ever played.