Xbox One used games policy.....confused.....answer me this please.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by craigkelleigh (327 posts) -

Hi - I live in New Zealand......and I have been reading up on the used games policy that MS has stated for the Xbox One.......and I'm trying to get my head around it....

I am generally a solo gamer (don't lend out my games to friends or visit friends houses to play games).....and I tend to keep my games and not on-sell them so much......(maybe 1 game in 5 I might on-sell)

I probably buy 10% of my games new......either from a shop or through a on-line gaming site....

In New Zealand we have a on-line auction-based website called Trademe - where products are offered at a Buy Now price or people can bid on products and it goes to the highest bidder.......and I tend to buy my games that way.....

Now - from what I can gather - for the Xbox One games.....I can sell my NEW games on this....but the person who buys it can't on-sell it (?).....

and I can only buy a game from a person who bought the game NEW (?)......and then I can't on-sell it after that (?).....

and any 2nd hand games I see in the shops - I would have to be only the 2nd person to purchase it (?)....

With the fact you have to install the games on the HD - there is no reason to keep the packaging - unless it is a special edition etc - so I can see that i would want to maybe on-sell more games....(but still have the ability to play them from the HD)

anyone can help clarify it....thanks

#2 Posted by antiAntag0nist (61 posts) -

I believe that Microsoft has stated that a used game has to be authorized in some manner at a participating retailer to show that it no longer belongs to the original owner. Once that check is made, the original owner no longer has access to it, and the game is removed from their library. That copy is then free to be resold with no fee required to be paid to MS (a potential fee for used games is up to the publishers). I'm not sure if a physical copy bought from an auction site will work considering that that disk HAS to be removed from another persons account first.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if you buy a game from an auction site like Trade me or eBay, whether it would be possible to take a physical game to a Gamestop and have the game deactivated yourself. It would be an extra step, but it could help in that issue.

#3 Posted by gatsbythepig (10480 posts) -

Used games- maybe maybe not.  It depends on the publisher.  My feeling is,"why take a chance that you can't buy used?"

What's with all the extra periods?