Xbox one pros/cons

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by STS_Decimation (7 posts) -
Can someone be honest with me and tell me what is good and bad about the Xbox one?
#2 Posted by ShaineTheNerd (1345 posts) -

Good

Fun, exclusives games. Great controller. Top notch online service. Dedicated servers for every multiplayer game. Cloud computing. Beautiful graphics. Self-publishing for indie devs (I will try this out myself at some point down the road. :)). Quick navigation around your Xbox One. Twitch.TV integration. Voice and motion control for quick access for all your games, movies, songs, etc. I love watching Netflix and TV when I play some games like COD, so the Snap (essentially picture-in-picture) feature is great. Unlimited save space via the Cloud. Virtually-unlimited friends list (could be good for some people. I won't use more than 30 slots, lmao). Background updates. I personally think the Kinect has some potential. Excited to see what developers can do with it.

Bad

Controllers come with batteries, forcing you to buy a play-and-charge kit to charge your controller. Kinect is a requirement... Umm... It's 500 dollars... Uh... That's it.

#3 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71397 posts) -
Kinect required, they can change the policies again in the future to DRM, ads on a premium service and the free version is a joke, needing and internet connection first day Forza 5 is the only pro
#4 Posted by drekula2 (1928 posts) -

Pros:

+   I do like the Kinect idea and the camera integration

+   I do like the idea of constantly feeding information and clouding

+   All in one entertaining is the future.  Look at the iphone.

+   I do like the Microsoft exclusives

+   It's a solid console that will get third party support.

Cons:

+ I like Sony and Nintendo's exclusives better

+ Not different enough from PS4 though to justify buying a second console (at least now)

#5 Posted by GlitchOnMyLevel (96 posts) -

Good

Fun, exclusives games. Great controller. Top notch online service. Dedicated servers for every multiplayer game. Cloud computing. Beautiful graphics. Self-publishing for indie devs (I will try this out myself at some point down the road. :)). Quick navigation around your Xbox One. Twitch.TV integration. Voice and motion control for quick access for all your games, movies, songs, etc. I love watching Netflixcbuddy2.png and TV when I play some games like COD, so the Snap (essentially picture-in-picture) feature is great. Unlimited save space via the Cloud. Virtually-unlimited friends list (could be good for some people. I won't use more than 30 slots, lmao). Background updates. I personally think the Kinect has some potential. Excited to see what developers can do with it.

Bad

Controllers come with batteries, forcing you to buy a play-and-charge kit to charge your controller. Kinect is a requirement... Umm... It's 500 dollars... Uh... That's it.

ShaineTheNerd
You mentioned "Self-publishing for indie devs" and I am still confused about that subject. Does it mean you have built in tools to create your own games? somewhat similar to lets saay Little Big Planet?
#6 Posted by always_explicit (2793 posts) -

I actually based my decision to buy the X1 based on a comparison between the PS3 and PS4.

So I paid a silly amount of money on the PS3 at launch (my fault) and was stuck with a powerful but largely unsupported games console for 2 years.

Then at the end of the generation they pull some exclusives out of the bag and hope that its enough to get me to part with more money just for a more powerful console. All the PS is offering this next gen is power...its of no interest to me.

The X1 has the kinect integration and is of comparable power to the PS4, its also and all in one entertainment system which appeals to me.

#7 Posted by _TheJoker_ (6013 posts) -

Good

Fun, exclusives games. Great controller. Top notch online service. Dedicated servers for every multiplayer game. Cloud computing. Beautiful graphics. Self-publishing for indie devs (I will try this out myself at some point down the road. :)). Quick navigation around your Xbox One. Twitch.TV integration. Voice and motion control for quick access for all your games, movies, songs, etc. I love watching Netflix and TV when I play some games like COD, so the Snap (essentially picture-in-picture) feature is great. Unlimited save space via the Cloud. Virtually-unlimited friends list (could be good for some people. I won't use more than 30 slots, lmao). Background updates. I personally think the Kinect has some potential. Excited to see what developers can do with it.

Bad

ShaineTheNerd

Kinect is not a requirement for the system to work... is it?

#8 Posted by ShaineTheNerd (1345 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShaineTheNerd"]

Good

Bad

_TheJoker_

Kinect is not a requirement for the system to work... is it?

Yes. That is the biggest problem with Xbox One, and the reason it's as expensive as it is. We could have a $3-350 machine on our hands, but Kinect just had to be required.
#9 Posted by ShaineTheNerd (1345 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShaineTheNerd"]

Good

Fun, exclusives games. Great controller. Top notch online service. Dedicated servers for every multiplayer game. Cloud computing. Beautiful graphics. Self-publishing for indie devs (I will try this out myself at some point down the road. :)). Quick navigation around your Xbox One. Twitch.TV integration. Voice and motion control for quick access for all your games, movies, songs, etc. I love watching Netflixcbuddy2.png and TV when I play some games like COD, so the Snap (essentially picture-in-picture) feature is great. Unlimited save space via the Cloud. Virtually-unlimited friends list (could be good for some people. I won't use more than 30 slots, lmao). Background updates. I personally think the Kinect has some potential. Excited to see what developers can do with it.

Bad

GlitchOnMyLevel
You mentioned "Self-publishing for indie devs" and I am still confused about that subject. Does it mean you have built in tools to create your own games? somewhat similar to lets saay Little Big Planet?

No. How it was before was, to publish a game on the Xbox One, you needed a publisher to do it. Now, if you have to ability to create your game yourself, you do not need a publisher. And, instead of using a PC to debug and test your game, you can (starting at a later date than the release) test your game via the Xbox One itself. The new "self-publishing" policy is still not 100 percent clear, but I am happy to hear about it myself. Well find out more about it come Gamescom.
#10 Posted by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

Pros its innovative offers a new vision to the console  games controller xbox live and you coild never turn it off.  Im putting mine on a ups

Cons it makes cows jealous and get rather desperate and mean to lems.    

#11 Posted by STS_Decimation (7 posts) -
Thanks for the input. I'm set on the Xbox one. I just wanted to get some outside perspectives
#12 Posted by GlitchOnMyLevel (96 posts) -
[QUOTE="GlitchOnMyLevel"][QUOTE="ShaineTheNerd"]

Good

Fun, exclusives games. Great controller. Top notch online service. Dedicated servers for every multiplayer game. Cloud computing. Beautiful graphics. Self-publishing for indie devs (I will try this out myself at some point down the road. :)). Quick navigation around your Xbox One. Twitch.TV integration. Voice and motion control for quick access for all your games, movies, songs, etc. I love watching Netflixcbuddy2.pngcbuddy2.png and TV when I play some games like COD, so the Snap (essentially picture-in-picture) feature is great. Unlimited save space via the Cloud. Virtually-unlimited friends list (could be good for some people. I won't use more than 30 slots, lmao). Background updates. I personally think the Kinect has some potential. Excited to see what developers can do with it.

Bad

ShaineTheNerd

No. How it was before was, to publish a game on the Xbox One, you needed a publisher to do it. Now, if you have to ability to create your game yourself, you do not need a publisher. And, instead of using a PC to debug and test your game, you can (starting at a later date than the release) test your game via the Xbox One itself. The new "self-publishing" policy is still not 100 percent clear, but I am happy to hear about it myself. Well find out more about it come Gamescom.

Wow that still sounds amazing!
#13 Posted by sukraj (22613 posts) -

Thanks for the input. I'm set on the Xbox one. I just wanted to get some outside perspectivesSTS_Decimation

me too